• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 *Spoiler Thread* |OT| Elektra Boogaloo - March 18th on Netflix

Shaanyboi

Banned
Except for the fact that he straight up said he doesn't believe that and for the fact that he also let Frank and Elektra murder those ninjas on the roof.

You should probably keep watching.
And? Even Matt admits to Frank that maybe his way isn't working. But if they're going to kill, he'd rather they be pointing in the right direction.

Talking about the DA. Reyes was the best antagonist on this (other than Frank). As evil as they may be, Nobu or the Blacksmith didn't really measured up, they more like just kind show up. I didn't really feel much for them.

It's weird you say that because the Frank-Karen relationship seemed more like a Father-Daughter thing than anything sexual.

Yeah, Frank's relationship with Karen was very paternal. Best seen in the diner.

Talking about the DA. Reyes was the best antagonist on this (other than Frank). As evil as they may be, Nobu or the Blacksmith didn't really measured up, they more like just kind show up. I didn't really felt much for them.

She was a good bad guy.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
oh I see. is nobu an original character or was he in the comics?

what is exactly is the concept of the "farm"?

In the comics, Kagenobu Yoshioka was the founder of the Hand.

The "farm" concept is unexplained, but as far as I can tell they're basically using them as petri dishes to germinate a bunch of weird shit in blood then extracting it and using it for something related to that big coffin with Japanese text on it.

Speaking of which, did anyone write down what it said? That and the parchment where the ledger was supposed to be?

Except for the fact that he straight up said he doesn't believe that and for the fact that he also let Frank and Elektra murder those ninjas on the roof.

Matt did say at one point that his way wasn't working and that they should try Frank's. It depends on whether Matt believed Nobu's supposed immortality or if he kept burying his head in the sand.

Matt did say at one point that his way wasn't working and that they should try Frank's. It depends on whether Matt believed Nobu's supposed immortality or if he kept burying his head in the sand.

And? Even Matt admits to Frank that maybe his way isn't working. But if they're going to kill, he'd rather they be pointing in the right direction.

I'm not arguing with you but the other poster was saying that maybe Matt didn't believe he was killing Nobu. He did, he chose to murder him and let Elektra kill those other jobbers.

ElTopo

Banned
Finished episode 10. Great episode but a few nitpicks. Why is Matt on the roof in full gear but he's not wearing the helmet? Also, during the conversation he had with the nurse (played by Rosario Dawson) Charlie Cox' English accent slips out a little bit.

Elektra feels like the weak link in the show. Not a terrible character. But she doesn't add that much I feel. I feel like they could have done a better job of incorporating The Hand without using Elektra or maybe using her in a more interesting way.

Came off nightshift and squeezed in the final three episodes I needed to complete the season before falling asleep.

Few quick thoughts:
How good is The Punisher!? Excellent portrayal. I hope that Marvel give us more of Bernthal's Frank Castle.
When Fisk is one screen... sogood.gif His last interaction with Matt was brilliant.
Personal opinion: I feel that season 2 suffers from lack of focus on a central villain.
Going from Mobsters, Pun, The DA, Kingpin, Blacksmith, Electra, The Hand etc often feels like they tried to fit too much in and as a result a few plot holes are left in its wake.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm not arguing with you but the other poster was saying that maybe Matt didn't believe he was killing Nobu. He did, he chose to murder him and let Elektra kill those other jobbers.
I don't think Matt believed throwing Nobu off the roof wasn't going to kill him. I think he knew damn well what he was doing, especially after Elektra just got killed. But even then, Nobu came back once before. So maybe he just assumed Nobu could take the hit, and if he bothered coming back again, Matt would be ready for round 3.

Why is Matt on the roof in full gear but he's not wearing the helmet.
Nobu literally kicked it off of his head IIRC.

I don't think Matt believed throwing Nobu off the roof wasn't going to kill him. I think he knew damn well, especially after Elektra just got killed. But even then, Nobu came back once before. So maybe he just assumed Nobu could take the hit, and if he bothered coming back again, Matt would be ready for round 3.
Lets look at the inspiration:

0pPDU4t.jpg

And can ya blame him?

ZeroX03

Banned
Daredevil is doing the Arrow thing where they conveniently ignore any potentially fatal actions by the lead that isn't a bullet to the brain or sword to the chest count. DD hits people in the head a lot, he's done brain damage if not killed people from it. Just suspend your disbelief, Nobu wasn't a kill shot.

CryptiK

Nobu literally kicked it off of his head IIRC.
Yep it was hilarious.

Daredevil is doing the Arrow thing where they conveniently ignore any potentially fatal actions by the lead that isn't a bullet to the brain or sword to the chest count. DD hits people in the head a lot, he's done brain damage if not killed people from it. Just suspend your disbelief, Nobu wasn't a kill shot.

Nobu was an intended kill shot, it was kind of a running thing through the series about him having to eventually go beyond what he should. It happen in conversations with Stick and Elektra

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Episode 10 when the fuckin' Punisher wastes that fucking bitch DA. Fuck yeah! I applauded. Get 'em Frank!

You should either keep watching, or if you finiahed it, fucking pay attention to what you are watching lol

Edit: I guess youre not done...in which case why are you in this thread :p

ZeroX03

Banned
Nobu was an intended kill shot, it was kind of a running thing through the series about him having to eventually go beyond what he should. It happen in conversations with Stick and Elektra

If it was an intended kill shot on Nobu of all people, it would've been a Stick style beheading.

antonz

There was a degree of respect between Karen and Frank. She proved herself to not just be a weak flower to him and that set the ground for that mutual respect.

Frank Castle is still Frank Castle up until the diner. Karen in some ways seems to be anchoring him from completely going over to the Punisher persona. Then when things go down in the diner and he bashes that guys skull open etc. and Karen comes out and is completely revolted you can see her reaction impacts Frank and its at that point he says fuck it and really begins to embrace Punisher and letting Frank die and tells her to get away from him.

There was a degree of respect between Karen and Frank. She proved herself to not just be a weak flower to him and that set the ground for that mutual respect.

Frank Castle is still Frank Castle up until the diner. Karen in some ways seems to be anchoring him from completely going over to the Punisher persona. Then when things go down in the diner and he bashes that guys skull open etc. and Karen comes out and is completely revolted you can see her reaction impacts Frank and its at that point he says fuck it and really begins to embrace Punisher and letting Frank die and tells her to get away from him.

I don't think version of Frank Castle could ever completely become The Punisher. The version in the comics pretty much eventually burns most of his humanity out. This one is a lot more volatile and passionate and just overall human, which makes him so interesting.

Personally, I think the transformation into The Punisher begins in the cabin after he shoots Schoonover. Up until then, he's still hunting The Blacksmith, but once the object of his revenge is dead... he keeps going.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So they never found out who the blacksmith was or did I miss something?

Frank's old colonel was the Blacksmith

I don't think version of Frank Castle could ever completely become The Punisher. The version in the comics pretty much eventually burns most of his humanity out. This one is a lot more volatile and passionate and just overall human, which makes him so interesting.

Personally, I think the transformation into The Punisher begins in the cabin after he shoots Schoonover. Up until then, he's still hunting The Blacksmith, but once the object of his revenge is dead... he keeps going.

He's totally humane to his neighbours in Welcome Back Frank. He even took that shy lady's cookies!

SRG01

A part of me wanted Castle to play a more active role during the final battle instead of being on another rooftop. :/

Shaanyboi

Banned
So they never found out who the blacksmith was or did I miss something?
? Frank's old colonel was the Blacksmith. They yell something at Frank before they blow up the boat implying they knew him. Then Karen put it together that they dead dudes being pulled out of the water were members of Castle's old squad.

Sheroking

He wasn`t in a position to stop either of them from killing anyone.

Also, not sure he particularly gave a shit whether or not Nobu died when he flung him off the roof. I think that`s pretty consistent considering how pissed he was about Elektra`s death.

I like to think that Daredevil was okay with Frank sniping those dicks cause Nobu would have escaped otherwise. Plus he can't do shit about it anyways, so let it happen.

the name of this thread should have been:

Marvel's Daredevil S2 *Spoiler Thread* |OT| The Punisher S1 - March 18th on Netflix

HOLY SHIT at Frank Castle

ZeroX03

Banned
The Colonel/Blacksmith stuff was just done poorly. If there's a Punisher spin-off where it turns out the colonel was just working for the Blacksmith, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. All the build up for a really weak and murky payoff.

The Colonel/Blacksmith stuff was just done poorly. If there's a Punisher spin-off where it turns out the colonel was just working for the Blacksmith, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. All the build up for a really weak and murky payoff.

I know shit about the DD comics, so I was actually expecting the Blacksmith to be a drug front for The Chaste to fund its war against The Hand, and it would end up making it all the more gray, plus tie up the two stories in some way.

For real though, the first four episodes are some of the best TV I've ever seen. The monologue in the graveyard should make everyone else pull out of the Emmy race, even if Frank did say "you know" about 30-40 times in 10 minutes.

ZeroX03

Banned
I know shit about the DD comics, so I was actually expecting the Blacksmith to be a drug front for The Chaste to fund its war against The Hand, and it would end up making it all the more gray, plus tie up the two stories in some way.

I think we all expected the Blacksmith to be something more interesting.

Nyanmaruz

Does anyone know if they are going to release a season 2 soundtrack? I'm pretty sure I heard a couple of new tracks this season.

Rhaknar

Fin Fang Foom was sleeping down that giant hole, he will be the villain in the Defenders

finfangfoomclone1.jpg

antispin

Finished it over two nights. Had lots of fun until Ep 10, and then it sort of petered out. That last episode was weirdly paced too.

sappyday

Finished it. It was good but it sort of loses me towards the end.

My two biggest problems are:

1) The whole Blacksmith plot and the way that storyline fit into the season. They should've had the whole thing make sense while tieing it to the Hand plotline.

2) Karen. I fucking hate this character. This dude Matt literally had to spell it out to her that he's Daredevil. She's everywhere and it brings down every scene she's in.

2) Karen. I fucking hate this character. This dude Matt literally had to spell it out to her that he's Daredevil. She's everywhere and it brings down every scene she's in.

Tbf, I don't think it's something that anybody would suspect unless, like Elektra and Stick, they knew about his abilities beforehand. He's honest-to-god blind, which would cause anyone to write him off. It's not like Comm Gordon in Nolan's Batman, who really had no excuse for not knowing that Bruce Wayne is Batman.

I was really hoping Blacksmith was going to be a pseudonym for Smythe. And a vicious cycle takes place when Smythe joins forces with Fisk. Smythe creates Punisher, helps Fisk release Punisher, gets punished (Survives but in a wheelchair).

They dropped the ball at the end for sure. They should have just focused on Castle and Fisk, left all the supernatural destiny Elektra stuff out.

Top Bottom