• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 *Spoiler Thread* |OT| Elektra Boogaloo - March 18th on Netflix

DeathyBoy

Banned
I would bet the Hand runs MGH

If it gets me more Nuke, I'll be happy with it. I mean, at least when the Ninjas die he can be all 'MAH BOYS, MAH BOYS.'

Plus he can go even more insane, stare at Daredevil and go, 'GIVE ME A RED.' Then see Matthew Murdock outside of court and be all 'WAIT A SECOND, YOU'RE RED TOO... HE'S DAREDEVIL' and go even crazier when people tell him that a blind man can't be a superhero.

Sojgat

All of that 'subtlety' is in the script. D'Onofrio's acting in this is a overdone, over-graveled, turned to 11, ham fisted embarrassment.

I don't agree.

It's a lot of intentional pomp and bluster. This interpretation of the Kingpin is an insecure bully, and that's how they tend to act. Know the real person underneath, and their big displays seem almost comical. It might all be on the page, but D'Onofrio is what makes it work. IMO at least.

Protome

I miss Wesley

I'm guessing whatever's in the hole.
There's nothing in the hole. They dug the big urn thing out of it.

Edit: Oh and to add to the finale, by then Daredevil was in full "I don't give a fuck" mode and was ok with Electra and Punisher killing the jobbers, so I think he believes he killed Nobu. Or at least expected Stick to kill it for him. His original plan was to have him rot on hell and he had him restrained, so he totally was going for the kill there.

To be fair, he also set Nobu on fire in season 1. I just don't think Daredevil likes Nobu very much.

DeathyBoy

Banned
They stole the urn thing from the moloids. It takes in Black Sky corpses and spits out fun.

nextwave-dance-critters.jpg

It is an actual crime that we don't have a Nextwave series on Netflix.

I liked this season on the whole, but I think it had some weird problems.

-Story kind of meanders; having Kingpin as a central villain in the first season gave it a cleaner focus.
-No reason is ever given for why Black Skies are so bad, or what they even are. As far as I could tell, Elektra is just a good assassin. If she has weird abilities or something, they didn't show it. There's just no concrete reason I should care.
-I haven't read the comics, but I thought Elektra was kind of boring. She was lacking development for a while, but when we get it, it's "destiny" stuff and has all the problems of the previous point.
-Kingpin owning literally everyone in the prison was ridiculous.

That's what I remember offhand.

Moosichu

-Story kind of meanders; having Kingpin as a central villain in the first season gave it a cleaner focus.
-No reason is ever given for why Black Skies are so bad, or what they even are. As far as I could tell, Elektra is just a good assassin. If she has weird abilities or something, they didn't show it. There's just no concrete reason I should care.
-I haven't read the comics, but I thought Elektra was kind of boring. She was lacking development for a while, but when we get it, it's "destiny" stuff and has all the problems of the previous point.

All other points are good. But bolded is prettt much the Kingpin as a character.

All other points are good. But bolded is prettt much the Kingpin as a character.

I know, but still. People are people, and people vary. Have him own like 95% of the prison or something. Still ridiculous, but it acknowledges that variance. Just seems more plausible to me.

Edit: I suppose what I'm ultimately saying is that I didn't think it felt earned. Needed at least a scene of people coercing or removing everyone who didn't want to get on board, or something. Instead it just kind of happened in the very broad strokes and I was supposed to assume the rest.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I know, but still. People are people, and people vary. Have him own like 95% of the prison or something. Still ridiculous, but it acknowledges that variance. Just seems more plausible to me.

Edit: I suppose what I'm ultimately saying is that I didn't think it felt earned. Needed at least a scene of people coercing or removing everyone who didn't want to get on board, or something. Instead it just kind of happened in the very broad strokes and I was supposed to assume the rest.

The problem was that they crammed all of that into one episode. I'm guessing he was in prison a few months before he took over, but the show wanted a one and done episode for him. So they sped through everything.

A season of Fisk slowly and surely building an empire? I'd have been all for that. Not having that character in S2 more in S2 was a mistake, but given how he outshone the Yakuza and Stick in one episode, maybe they felt the character was too big to be in the background.

Course, the simple fix there is Fisk hiring Elektra to kill Daredevil. So Punisher is 1-4, his trial/Elektra trying to kill Daredevil is 5-8, then them three versus Hand is 9-12.

Just finished and I enjoyed it immensely. I think the first few episodes were the strongest with episodes 3 and 4 being the highlights for me, but some great shit happens in the later half aswell. The newcomers were fucking great. They need to announce the Punishers series asap, they've set up for it.

Edit: I was actually shocked that they "killed" Elektra because I really wanted that honour to go to Bullseye, possibly next season. They're bringing her back, but it would be weird for her to get killed again, but we'll see I guess.

I was really bummed when Elektra got killed but apparently she's gonna get resurrected so I guess it's fine? I really hope she keeps her personality but loses her feelings for Matt, I really hate emotionless husks for villains. Also I hope she goes solo(as in Assassin for hire) and isn't a main antagonist with an army, that's not her style.

Overall enjoyed the season, really hope Punisher gets his own series(or a movie?), by the end Punisher and Daredevil went their own way and the constant switching between their perspectives didn't really make sense anymore.

I'm guessing next season we're gonna be getting Kingpin + Bullseye/Elektra shenanigans, I'm really excited for it. I wonder what lawyer Matt is going to do, can't have him be Daredevil all the time.

Also, anyone have an idea if Rosario Dawson is gonna stick around or is she just done? I'm hoping she becomes "vigilante nurse".

Just finished. I really enjoyed this season more just because of how badass Bernthal was.

Karen remains sexy despite what happens to her. Elektra too. Kingpin sequences really felt rushed and crammed into the episodes. Punisher was legit with his savagery. Daredevil (the man of the hour) was..... Ok.

Murdock does things that annoys me and things that make me go yahoo. One of my head turning events was when he went on about not killing and hurting goons but then goes on and straight crippling and hurting these goons. Throwing his weapons at goons faces, breaking limbs and probably necks and whatnot. I'm also not fond of how religious he is because it's just weird in a world filled with superhuman beings the likes of Thor and Loki (literal Gods).

Some good things about Daredevil himself:

-Reveals himself to Karen at the end
-Finally receives his billy stick
-Emotional scene with Elektra at the end
-Still sticking with his core belief of not killing
-Telling Foggy what he really felt about he was doing and telling him to do his own thing
-Definitely coming to terms with his world and emotions at the end really made me like Daredevil more than I initially did

My older brother was watching with me and saying that The Hand is actually alot more powerful than what the show is letting on. Can somebody confirm this? He's a comic dude (seriously, right besides his bed are most of his comics, Marvel mostly) and also said that the X-Men struggle with them too.

Sethista

The end of the season was a chore to watch. they really missed the handling of elektra and karen page here. Karen was the eternal damsel in distress, she was in danger pretty much eevery single episode. It felt like she was more of a plot point than a full fledged character.

Punisher was awesome, but did not get the time he deserved. I wanted them to go deeper into the killing vs arresting and what works best thing, showing how society is accepting vigilantes in this age of superheroes and all.... but no cigar. they went with ninjas instead.

And daredevil powers were inconsistent, I mean one time he could drop an army of bad guys, another 2 guys kick his ass. One time he defeated nobu with ease, another nobu kicked his ass, Plus some decisions he made and some ways he handled the people around him were stupid. Really bad season for Matt murdock.

Overall, a bad season with a few highlights, mainly the punisher.

Number_6

Edit: Oh and to add to the finale, by then Daredevil was in full "I don't give a fuck" mode and was ok with Electra and Punisher killing the jobbers, so I think he believes he killed Nobu. Or at least expected Stick to kill it for him. His original plan was to have him rot on hell and he had him restrained, so he totally was going for the kill there.

I think since he can't hear their hearts and they do resurrections, he figures they're technically already dead and therefore doesn't care anymore if they get killed.

Matt is usually able to tell the age and maturity those proximate to him without uncovering their face isn't he? Season 1 he could tell Claire's friend on the stairs was someone young, I'm guessing by the nature of his heartbeat, or maybe he could sense the skin on his face too I dunno.

And then he was able to sense that the black sky was a child too, also by his heartbeat's nature. Maybe sensed his skin as well,

But this season, he fights a red handed in his apartment, and only after uncovering his face is he able to tell it was a teen he was fighting...but I guess that makes sense because he couldn't sense their heartbeats

Fuchsdh

Matt is usually able to tell the age and maturity those proximate to him without uncovering their face isn't he? Season 1 he could tell Claire's friend on the stairs was someone young, I'm guessing by the nature of his heartbeat, or maybe he could sense the skin on his face too I dunno.

And then he was able to sense that the black sky was a child too, also by his heartbeat's nature. Maybe sensed his skin as well,

But this season, he fights a red handed in his apartment, and only after uncovering his face is he able to tell it was a teen he was fighting...but I guess that makes sense because he couldn't sense their heartbeats

The idea that you can't track people performing strenuous activities via their heartbeats when you have super-senses, and somehow tracking their breath is harder to do, is just weird. I stopped the show at that point and wondered if the writers had ever done vigorous exercise before.

Also, what magic non-rustling fabric are their ninja suits made out of?

The idea that you can't track people performing strenuous activities via their heartbeats when you have super-senses, and somehow tracking their breath is harder to do, is just weird. I stopped the show at that point and wondered if the writers had ever done vigorous exercise before.

this is true, that's a good point that both the rustling of their clothes should've been a reference for daredevil and that listening to breaths should be easier than listening to heartbeats. perhaps daredevil was just too used to relying on hearing them and breaths aren't as high of an advantage? but that wouldn't explain why stick says "go deeper" and listen to breaths, I dunno man.

I can't get over how cringe-worthy bad the guy who plays Fisk's acting is. It was much better than S1 in S2, but it's still the absolute weakest thing in the entire show. Hardly a proper or relevant sample, yet all of my British friends feel the same about Fisk, whereas my American friends love him - I can't account for why the difference though :/

But otherwise, a bloody great series - much better pacing than S1 and JJS1 - I just hope to god we get an S3 next year.

I don't find him cringy. I find every "romantic" scene between Matt and Karen cringy. I find Fisk to be a creepy presence in every scene he's in, with a potential to just go off the deep end at any moment in a way that is genuinely threatening and scary.

The problem I have with a lot of characters in these shows is that they don't ever feel like they are willing to cross some invisible line invented by the writers. Fisk and Punisher don't fuck around. You push them too far, and they will just kill you with their bare hands.

LakeEarth

Beginning of episode 6 spoiler:

2085934-liljapaneseguy.jpg

That little guy hasn't done anything yet. Look at him. He's going to do something, and you know it's going to be good...

Number_6

The Hand breathe very slowly. Stick explained it himself when he was being interrogated and Matt was coming for him.

"Magic" is the key word, actually. The Hand ninjas are resurrected dead guys, they don't have detectable heartbeats, and they breath incredibly slow. They aren't normal humans anymore, so your understanding of "vigorous exercise" does not apply.

Personally I prefer the organized crime/Punisher side of things to the mystical ninja stuff by far. But what you wondered was explained in the show.

You think Elektra is boring? I think she's a lot of things but boring isn't one of them.

The Hand breathe very slowly. Stick explained it himself when he was being interrogated and Matt was coming for him.

"Magic" is the key word, actually. The Hand ninjas are resurrected dead guys, they don't have detectable heartbeats, and they breath incredibly slow. They aren't normal humans anymore, so your understanding of "vigorous exercise" does not apply.

Personally I prefer the organized crime/Punisher side of things to the mystical ninja stuff by far. But what you wondered was explained in the show.
I don't they really made it clear to non-comic readers that the Hand ninjas were undead/resurrected. It was clear that Nobu was, but not that the ninjas were. For example, the kid that attacks Matt doesn't look resurrected or anything like that, so I think most would assume that the Hand ninjas are just regular zealots while the leaders like Nobu are resurrected.

Number_6

I don't they really made it clear to non-comic readers that the Hand ninjas were undead/resurrected. It was clear that Nobu was, but not that the ninjas were. For example, the kid that attacks Matt doesn't look resurrected or anything like that, so I think most would assume that the Hand ninjas are just regular zealots while the leaders like Nobu are resurrected.

Yes, but the twice-autopsied ninja from the hospital opens the door for the regular average Hand Ninja also being resurrected. It's not explicitly explained, but it's certainly implied.

Fuchsdh

I don't find him cringy. I find every "romantic" scene between Matt and Karen cringy. I find Fisk to be a creepy presence in every scene he's in, with a potential to just go off the deep end at any moment in a way that is genuinely threatening and scary.

The problem I have with a lot of characters in these shows is that they don't ever feel like they are willing to cross some invisible line invented by the writers. Fisk and Punisher don't fuck around. You push them too far, and they will just kill you with their bare hands.

If they're resurrected and don't have heartbeats, why do they breathe at all then?

Yes, but the twice-autopsied ninja from the hospital opens the door for the regular average Hand Ninja also being resurrected. It's not explicitly explained, but it's certainly implied.
I thought it was the kids who had the Y cuts, not a ninja?

If they're resurrected and don't have heartbeats, why do they breathe at all then?
I'm pretty sure Stick said they were just holding their breath, and that's why they had to exhale. He was telling Matt to listen for their exhales

These were my gripes with the season as well. I just finished it last night. Still had a lot of fun watching it though.

Also, Im sure its probably been discussed but what was the deal with the giant hole? They never say what its for or has any relevance outside of the end of one episode and the very beginning of the next.

Robin64

Yeah, what, the ninjas were resurrected? I thought they had masked their heartbeats through years of training or something, I never thought it was obvious they were undead ninjas, specially because still breathe.

Assumed ressurection was for the elite tier of The Hand, like Nobu.

LordRaptor

The thing with The Hand being invisible to Matt (and his temporary deafness freak out) tells me that DD in the MCU 'only' has super hearing, not super other senses.
That or they're waiting for him to level up later with super smell or whatever.

My older brother was watching with me and saying that The Hand is actually alot more powerful than what the show is letting on. Can somebody confirm this? He's a comic dude (seriously, right besides his bed are most of his comics, Marvel mostly) and also said that the X-Men struggle with them too.

Wolverine fights them a lot because you can snktbub zombie ninjas all day long without clearly not being a hero anymore

The thing with The Hand being invisible to Matt (and his temporary deafness freak out) tells me that DD in the MCU 'only' has super hearing, not super other senses.

Wolverine fights them a lot because you can snktbub zombie ninjas all day long without clearly not being a hero anymore
He was tracking drops of blood in the tunnels and sensed where paper and books were in the vault. He definitely has enhanced smell

diaspora

Matt has super smell too. The problem is that when he lost his hearing he freaked out because smell wasn't going to help him navigate his room or give him spacial awareness.

Fuchsdh

I thought it was the kids who had the Y cuts, not a ninja?

I'm pretty sure Stick said they were just holding their breath, and that's why they had to exhale. He was telling Matt to listen for their exhales

...but still, why do they need to exhale? They aren't talking, so there's no need for any kind of respiration if it's all undead magic business.

And it was a ninja they were going to autopsy, but they didn't spend much time with it (leading to the question of who exactly is buying the hospital's silence, 'cause it doesn't seem like The Hand would bother buying people off when they are fine leaving trails of bodies.)

How do you guys feel about how they portray DD's abilities? Would you have preferred this or the movie version in which we get echolocation pov?

I enjoy it but would not have mind something more. Maybe next season?

number47

"If we make it out of fighting a army of ninjas,i will marry you" = someone will die.

my only gripe.

also

"I see you've got my message"
Credits
Guest Staring
Vince as Kingpin. I thought that was a clever joke.

DeathyBoy

Banned
How do you guys feel about how they portray DD's abilities? Would you have preferred this or the movie version in which we get echolocation pov?

I enjoy it but would not have mind something more. Maybe next season?

I hate the word nerfed, but MCU DD is underpowered compared to the comic-book one. So's Elektra. In a one on one fight in the comics, DD would fuck Punisher up with ease. But The Hand is also underpowered. I guess they're going for pseudo-realism of sorts.

You think Elektra is boring? I think she's a lot of things but boring isn't one of them.

"Rich playboy/girl who is secretly a ninja/superhero" doesn't do anything for me unless you add a modifier to it. Bruce Wayne's is his parents' death and the torment he puts himself through for it. Tony Stark's is alcoholism and a god complex. Elektra didn't really have anything like that at first, so I was waiting for some more development, but then when that development came, it was that vaguely evil destiny silliness. Didn't work for me at all.

Koriandrr

Am I the only one who doesn't feel the whole DD/Page pairing? I am so not into that.

It just feels forced and like he's being a dick to his best friend. I mean, what kind of friend goes for the girl his friend is obviously into. I didn't like that at all. Especially considering he had a chick already. Or two. Or more. Poor Foggy.

I hope him telling her his identity doesn't make them get back together again. I wouldn't like that. She just needs to develop her own character, taking after the journalist's work and becoming a Clark Kent type of persona on her own, not to be his gf that always chases the dust. Obviously they teased her past and stuff we don't know about her, so that'll be revealed, hopefully not so that she can die...

Top Bottom