• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, calm down.. really.. :messenger_fearful:

look at me, look at my face

NncSDlm.gif

Kentucky's first coronavirus patient is a Walmart employee
From CNN's Carma Hassan

The first cases of the novel coronavirus in Harrison County, Kentucky are a Walmart employee and a person linked to the employee, Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear said at a news conference today.

However, the governor said while they can’t provide details on the linkage, they don’t believe the second patient was exposed to the virus at Walmart.

Harrison County officials investigating the case identified people who worked around the Walmart employee and asked six other employees to self-isolate. None of those employees are showing symptoms of the virus, said WEDCO District Health Director Dr. Crystal Miller.

There are four cases of coronavirus in the state total, Beshear said.

Corona(tm) cases half price sale in 3 - 2 -

Why US stock trading took a 15-minute break this morning
From CNN’s Matt Egan, Anneken Tappe and Pamela Boykoff

Stocks resumed trading at 9:49 a.m. ET, after the New York Stock Exchange halted activity for 15 minutes.

What this is about: The NYSE has a series of “circuit breakers” that will kick in to halt market trading if we see severe declines in the S&P 500 index. It's basically an automatic breather to try and calm market.
There are three levels:
  • Level 1, when there's a 7% decrease – 15 minute halt
  • Level 2, when there's a 13% decrease – 15 minute halt
  • Level 3, when there's a 20% decrease – the market closes for the day

Cool did not know this, I'm learning new stuff from following and updaing news on this

My ex-wife told me about this, glad it was picked up by some US sources.

Now that took less time than I expected.

Public waste bins and garbage cans were largely removed from Japanese cities following the 1995 sarin gas attacks by a cult. Imagine if this one guy had a cult he could share it with before he headed out. "I'm going to spread the virus, join me brothers and sisters." Japan removes all beers.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

319 Today in the UK, so +46, though certainly a slowdown versus the previous day (+67). Maybe a resultant of the weekend though and people holding off on socializing. Good news overall.

New York City mayor says there's a "high bar" for closing schools

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said there's a "high bar" for closing public schools during the coronavirus outbreak.

He told CNN that temporary closures of specific schools where coronavirus cases are found are possible — but he said he doesn't anticipate mass closures.

"I don't want to see mass closures, I want pinpoint response," he said on CNN.
Asked if New York City could see the kinds of lockdowns that have been put into place in parts of Italy, de Blasio said it's a "possibility," but added this:

"It's a possibility, but I do think people are getting a little bit ahead of ourselves and we should be careful," he said.

The City is sue proof right?

Last edited:

sinnergy

319 Today in the UK, so +46, though certainly a slowdown versus the previous day (+67). Maybe a resultant of the weekend though and people holding off on socializing. Good news overall.

It’s testing , test less you have lower results , less cases , less pressure on health system for now.

In about 1.5 week ICUs are full. They are preparing for this.

It’s a numbers game now. Agreed upon worldwide and with WHO.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said there's a "high bar" for closing public schools during the coronavirus outbreak.

He told CNN that temporary closures of specific schools where coronavirus cases are found are possible — but he said he doesn't anticipate mass closures.

Asked if New York City could see the kinds of lockdowns that have been put into place in parts of Italy, de Blasio said it's a "possibility," but added this:

"It's a possibility, but I do think people are getting a little bit ahead of ourselves and we should be careful," he said.

It’s no different from corporations not wanting their hourly front line employees to work from home: if they keep kids home the school takes a funding cut. It’s why you see some districts freak out if you take your kid on vacation. They need those butts in seats regardless of how well the school is actually doing.

South Korea confirms three more deaths from coronavirus
From CNN's Yoonjung Seo in Seoul

South Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported three more deaths from the novel coronavirus Monday, raising the national toll to 54 deaths.

2 coronavirus cases in Florida are related to an active cruise ship port
From CNN’s Rosa Flores

Broward County in Florida announced that two of the three presumptive positive cases of coronavirus in the county are related to people coming through Port Everglades. Port Everglades is among the most active ports in the US for cruise ships, cargo and petroleum products.
The county government is not providing additional information about what exactly connects the cases to Port Everglades.
The Florida Department of Health has reported 13 cases of coronavirus in the state, including two deaths.

Another cruise ship held off the Florida coast for coronavirus concerns
From CNN’s Rosa Flores and Sara Weisfeldt in Miami

A second Florida cruise ship has been issued a “no sail” order following coronavirus concerns.

The Caribbean Princess has received a temporary “no sail” order from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention after the agency learned that two crew members transferred from another ship that previously had at least one guest test positive for coronavirus, according to Princess Cruises.

One crew member transferred more than two weeks ago and the second crew member transferred more than 10 days ago. Both crew members are showing no symptoms and are remaining in their single-occupancy staterooms.

The Caribbean Princess departed Port Everglades on a 10-day Panama Canal, Costa Rica and Caribbean voyage on March 1 and is currently scheduled to end on March 11, per Princess Cruises.

Now, the Caribbean Princess will make a brief stop at Grand Cayman for test kits and then set sail for Florida. The ship is expected to remain anchored off the coast of Florida until the "no sail" order is lifted by the CDC.

Last edited:
It’s testing , test less you have lower results , less cases , less pressure on health system for now.

In about 1.5 week ICUs are full. They are preparing for this.

It’s a numbers game now. Agreed upon worldwide and with WHO.

I read that there is a relatively high probability of a false positive if you are just testing people who dont necessarily have any symptoms. I cant remember who said it though, anyone heard this? So if thats true, then it only makes sense to test people who are actually showing signs of illness. Otherwise you could potentially immediately overwhelm the healthcare system with people who might not even be carriers at all; or worse, exposing people who dont actually have it to those that do.

Sejan

There are factors that most wont consider when thinking about cancelling schools for a time.
1. Most states mandate a specific number of school days. Some districts may not legally be allowed to cancel school for 2 weeks at a time without laws changing.
2. Health dangers dangers must be considered against social dangers. A city near me provides breakfast and lunch to every student in every school for free because a high proportion of these students literally don’t have food I their homes. Sending a large number of students home to inadequate food may present a greater danger of these communities.
3. Families in poverty likely don’t have the resources to keep their students home. They may not have access to paid sick time or child care. Being forced to I keep the kids home could severely hurt families that are already financially hurting.
4. If these parents are forced to put leave their kids unattended at home just to provide for their family, then you are just trading one danger (virus) for another (unattended children).
5. Unattended children lead to an uptick in crime and gang activity. It puts everyone in more danger.

I never understood these sorts of situations until I met a number of teachers that work in these impoverished schools. It’s easy to judge them because they choose to stay open without understanding that there are real, human costs to closing these sorts of schools. As a child, I viewed a snow day was a vacation. For these children it may mean a day without food. Multiply that by a week or two. It is heartbreaking.

Why is everyone shitting the bed on the stock market? All it really means is that it is an ideal time to buy. This shit is temporary and there likely will be a huge recovery once all this starts to blow over and/or a vaccine starts to be produced.

Yes, but fear is ruling at the moment, and we don't know the full ripple effect on the overall global economy. I'm not sure we've seen bottom. Personally, I'd hold off a while.

There are now more than 140 coronavirus cases in New York
From CNN's Sheena Jones

New York has 142 confirmed coronavirus cases, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday morning. That number is up from the 106 previously reported.

Rick Cotton, the executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, has tested positive for the coronavirus, Cuomo said during a press conference.

Cotton is under quarantine and his senior team will be tested and placed under quarantine, according to Cuomo.
New York has also created its own hand sanitizer to compete with price gouging. The sanitizer will be used in schools and other city/state properties.

Gov. Cuomo also issued guidance for schools in New Rochelle saying, in part, they could be closed for weeks.

For all schools across the state, if a student tests positive, that school has to be closed for an initial 24-hour period until it can be investigated, Cuomo said.

MrMephistoX

To be honest, he probably is right.

If you keep looking at the numbers, and not stories about the numbers, everything he states is true.

China and SK’s numbers have dropped off significantly. Also, he mentions something largely ignored by people hating on America’s healthcare and government response in the wake of all this — China’s healthcare is not good.

The situation is serious, but there is still too much unwarranted hysteria and panic.

It’s worse in some ways better in others. They can force quarantines and make testing kits free: here if you have a high deductible you’re fucked.

It’s also way cheaper; so you’re paying like $100 for an MRI or ultrasound.

The drawbacks are that you have “rich” hospitals in nice areas with higher fees and poor hospitals with lower fees and worse care.

Irish cities cancel St. Patrick's Day parades
From CNN's Lindsay Isaac

The city of Dublin has canceled its annual St. Patrick’s Day parade over coronavirus fears, according to state broadcaster RTE and the Press Association.

A smaller parade planned in Cork, in south coastal Ireland, has also been canceled, its city council said in a statement. The Cork parade is the second largest, attracting up to 50,000 spectators.

The city council said it made the decision after a risk assessment based on World Health Organization guidelines. The assessment said that "based on the demographic of those attending the parade, the close proximity of people attending the event and the duration of the event (among other considerations), Cork City Council is not in a position to provide the necessary assurances in relation to current WHO Guidelines.”

One of them was a 89 years old. Panic!

Would you want to die at 89? What age is acceptable for death? Serious question.

I don't really mind dying right now in my 40s but if I get to my 80s and people still suck I'm gonna wish I panicked back in 2020 duing the Wuhan Era of Chaos

autoduelist

One of the infected patients in Oregon is a middle school child who was at school while infected. School is choosing to stay open.... man Oregon’s government is terrible.

Mostly the closer you get to Portland, though there are a few other clusters of stupidity like Eugene. There is a reason half the state wants to reform with Idaho as Greater Idaho.

autoduelist

see, they lie too much. When I first posted the news I remember a part saying Trump and Pence was not even near the guy. And they said no one was in contact with him. Now people are putting out Press Releases. And Trump is making jokes.

That doesn't contradict article. The first news said Trump wasn't near guy. This article says he shook hands with someone who shook hands with guy. Those don't contradict, unless im missing something

Edit: beaten like a Chinese journalist reporting on Corona virus

Last edited:
Head of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey tests positive for the coronavirus

Rick Cotton, the executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, has tested positive for the coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said at a news conference today.

Cotton is under quarantine and will continue working from home, Cuomo said.

His senior team will be tested and placed under quarantine, according to Cuomo.

Cotton could have contracted the illness because he had been working around the airports, Cuomo said.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey oversees much of New York City's travel infrastructure, including some airports, tunnels, bridges and seaports.

Ownage

Last edited:
It’s no different from corporations not wanting their hourly front line employees to work from home: if they keep kids home the school takes a funding cut. It’s why you see some districts freak out if you take your kid on vacation. They need those butts in seats regardless of how well the school is actually doing.

1.1 million students are in the NYC school system. There’s a huge ripple effect from nyc closing all its schools. Think of all the lost work productivity caused by parents needing to stay home to watch their kids. It’s not just the lost state funds although that’s a big partof it.

Excellent idea!

New York is making its own hand sanitizer using prison labor

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced today that the state will attempt to combat "price gouging" and a shortage of hand sanitizer by making its own.
Cuomo said at a press conference that the hand sanitizer will be made by Corcraft, a company that operates in the state's prison. The company employs inmates to produce products like household cleaners and tables and chairs.

He said they are aiming to make "100,000 gallons" a week.
Cuomo said New York's hand sanitizer will be "75% alcohol" and added that the smell has a "floral bouquet."
He said the product will not be sold on the open market at this time. It will be made available in schools and prisons.

huge workforce and resourcefulness, who needs China we got Prisons :messenger_weary:

Last edited:
Reactions: eot
I asked top dog in our building at work if he knew whether or not any of our employees had kids at the middle school in question. My office is in Hillsboro, OR. He basically said he didn't know and that he couldn't tell me if he did. I get privacy concerns but I need to know when I need to take action to protect my family. My son is currently in a group home an hour away and I am concerned about spreading it to him. I also need to see him regularly so he knows we're here. This really sucks.

I am tempted to email HR and let them know my concerns and see if I can work from home. My co-worker that sits 6 feet from me came to work today and has been coughing and sneezing. He says he has a "cold". 😳😵

French football matches will be played in front of fewer than 1,000 fans until April
From CNN’s Aleks Klosok

All Ligue 1 matches in France will be played behind closed doors or with a maximum attendance of 1,000 spectators until April 15 due to the coronavirus outbreak, French Sports Minister Roxana Maracineanu said at a news conference today

I would be very curious to watch a good youtube video explain how the math works out. For the risk levels of 0 or 1,000 vs the regular number of fans per match

autoduelist

I asked top dog in our building at work if he knew whether or not any of our employees had kids at the middle school in question. My office is in Hillsboro, OR. He basically said he didn't know and that he couldn't tell me if he did. I get privacy concerns but I need to know when I need to take action to protect my family. My son is currently in a group home an hour away and I am concerned about spreading it to him. I also need to see him regularly so he knows we're here. This really sucks.

I am tempted to email HR and let them know my concerns and see if I can work from home. My co-worker that sits 6 feet from me came to work today and has been coughing and sneezing. He says he has a "cold". 😳😵

I'm struggling with the sheer stupidity I've seen. As I posted this yesterday, I went to a kid' birthday party yesterday and one mom was constantly coughing but 'it's just a cold, i've had it for months'.... then later told my wife she'd flown to LAX last week.

Idiots. Like, I am sure the cough is just a cough, but you are now a potential spreader. Oh, and she works at a hospital. Genius.

While this may still all blow over [to some degree] it will not be thanks to those who don't take it seriously. There is a difference between not panicking and actively being stupid, like going to work or parties while coughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom