• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ownage

tenor.gif
tumblr_inline_mpjf6tIjWr1qz4rgp.gif

So with new cases going down now each day but deaths going up, we clearly have a mortality lead time. No clue what it is though. Might not know until we see it trend downwards.

The people dying today (91) were likely infected over a week ago. But is 91 the peak? Or still ramping up? If it's mild, we'll see another 5-7 days of rising death totals until it starts to go down. I'm going to guess their final death total will be around 2000 nation wide when all is said and done.

Now if the real death total some magnitude larger.. Say 20K, 50K, 100K or more.. I don't see how Wuhan reopens without someone spilling the beans.

That ship is fffffffffffffucked

Ain't no one going to want to sail on that thing, for free, for years I bet. They'll need to change the name.

I don't get why they did not just test everyone in the first place, why wait for fevers

These ships are death traps for old folks.
You will always get some kind of bug or the flu if the season it right. Not sure if that industry can survive many more of this outbreaks.

Roufianos

When are we gonna get some fucking border control? Are they too scared of people's feelings? My friend fled China back here to the UK and expected to serve a quarantine. Instead, all they told him was to self-isolate for the next 14 days.

Yea, like everyone's going to follow that advice.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I was thinking this is good because this is way down from yesterday until I saw this is an update report for the day

91 is that a new high for a day?
It's to be expected. Infections rose more each day until four days ago every single day. That means based on the usual way the sickness develops we will see daily growing death numbers at least for another half week, possibly one and a half. And then it slowly goes back. Most of the deaths are happening because in Wuhan there are no free capacities, no way to actually treat it. Too many patients and most of the doctors are dead (45 % of infections happen in the hospitals).

Serious question. A friend of mine comes (suposedly) from UK at the end of the month.

Should I met her...? : UU

Your chances of getting the flu and dying would be much higher than meeting someone from the UK and getting this and dying.

Don't let your fears run your life. The flu is out there killing a lot of people. Unless you are over 60 and have some health issues already it should be a safe choice to just move on with your plans and not worry so much.

I chat on this topic here everyday but I still eat Chinese take out every other day. It would be weird for me to stop going into a place with Chinese folks in the US just because of something going on in China.

Same thing with someone visiting from the UK

more good Science talk

I went to a Chinese restaurant a few days ago to give my support. The place was packed. It warmed my heart. Gluttony is the true cure for racism.

yeah my place here is still busy so I am happy to see that, I know how fears can fuel stupid shit.
I can't say it would stay that way if my city had 10 infected but we are not at that point and hope we never get to that test.

vpance

How China is rigging the numbers

As Apple Daily reports, in the latest, fourth edition of the NHC protocol, "mild" is classified as "confirmed cases" but "asymptomatic infected persons" is defined as "persons with no clinical symptoms, respiratory tract specimens, etc. who are positive for new coronavirus pathogenic tests." As a result, "asymptomatic infection" no longer counts as confirmed cases.

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/how-china-rigging-number-coronavirus-infections

dionysus

Yaldog
Don't overreact, it is a few hundred people who were removed and that is it. Remember, most asymptomatic people will never get tested in the first place.

So it is still the same problem with the numbers as it has always been. How many people are just simply not tested and what is the true infection rate.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
When are we gonna get some fucking border control? Are they too scared of people's feelings? My friend fled China back here to the UK and expected to serve a quarantine. Instead, all they told him was to self-isolate for the next 14 days.

Yea, like everyone's going to follow that advice.

The UK/NHS prep for an expected outbreak is fucking stupid which shouldn't surprise anyone who lives here. You know the isolation "pods" that all hospitals have been told to setup? Yeah you know what is going to happen if you have suspected Corona virus? You will get taken in to a room typically just of A&E, they take your blood and then... send you home... yeah just fuck everyone else in the area or public transport that might get infected.

Brilliant.

The NHS directive is also to deep clean the room after every test so lets face it if you have any experience with a isolated barrier nursed room in the NHS that won't happen.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I'm retty sure they are already keeping the numbers down, it just flatlined aby now.
That was absolutely to be expected after a two week quarantine. That's the whole point of it, to limit new infections. It looks like it works. There's so much fearmongering, when the reality is that 2 to 3 % of infections die and most of them if they are older than 60 and had a previous medical condition. And so far no person that is not of Chinese origin has died. Looking at where the deaths occur only Wuhan has a serious problem, in all other cities the numbers are so low that hospitals can treat the patients to the best of their capabilities, which is the main reason why so much less people have to die there.

For everywhere else, you really only have to follow the basic WHO rules: Don't go near crowds, keep distances to other people, especially if they look sick. But that's really just the same as with flu. Eventually it will end up everywhere. But that isn't even a problem. The death rates outside of Wuhan are around 0.2 %.

This might actually end up being China's influenca. Very few people in China die from influenca, much less than all around the world. 114 last year on a population of 1.4 billion. Even crazier: Only 0.03 % of the population get the flu each year. Compared to around 6 % of the population in the US (and despite much more crowded cities). The corona cases in Germany for example were so mild that they would've just thought they had a cold, if they hadn't been tested because of the China situation. And apparently that could be because of a much higher ACE2 reception level in the lungs of people from East Asia.

Which also explains why there are so few cases in Arabic regions, see:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom