• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
DevelopmentArrested said:
Exactly what I did. It's still completely tedious.
Meh, I agree that its an aspect thats not for everyone.
TheFreshPrince said:
Is it ever possible to not recruit someone? Just got
Grunt aboard the ship...and I'm wondering if I can really not 'awaken' him
or if I must recruit everyone to my team??
Its entirely possible. I actually sold one of my party members instead of accepting them into my squad.

Swag

Are some heavy weapons exclusive to the soldier class? I got the M-920 Cain (Nuke) and I can't fire anything, it just shoots out hot air :lol

DY_nasty

Sebulon3k said:
Are some heavy weapons exclusive to the soldier class? I got the M-920 Cain (Nuke) and I can't fire anything, it just shoots out hot air :lol
You have to charge it.

Its the ultimate boss killer.

edit: my god, vanguards get smacked on higher difficulties

Ephemeris

DY_nasty said:
Its entirely possible. I actually sold one of my party members instead of accepting them into my squad.
wait what?:lol

Don't spoil, haven't encountered that yet. But still hilarious.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Himuro said:
wtf.

It loaded the Normandy in like 5 seconds instead of a minute.

THANKS!!!!
I had the same issue too, but I just start the game with a .bat file now, placed in the same directory as the game, instead of doing that, with this command:

Code:
start /affinity 01 MassEffect2.exe

I also made a post on their forums, but I guess it has been ignored... I was annoyed that it could take up to 2 minutes to load this game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Son of a bitching bitch.

Anyone else finish the game or make it to
Horizon
yet?

I'm stuck on the final area on Insanity. There's really no where to hide - which is fine - except I don't really have any chance to tell my dudes to hide before they get jacked. It just feels tremendously cheap.

DY_nasty

firehawk12 said:
Son of a bitching bitch.

Horizon
yet?

I'm stuck on the final area on Insanity. There's really no where to hide - which is fine - except I don't really have any chance to tell my dudes to hide before they get jacked. It just feels tremendously cheap.
First, what class are you? And who's in your party?

Second, is it the boss thats kicking your ass or the horde?

Third, Heavy Weapons.

Swag

DY_nasty said:
Yeah, and I swapped another one out for a younger, sleeker model too. :D

I wanted to do that but I didn't see the option, either missed it or I was too paragon. Was kinda pissed :D

firehawk12 said:
Son of a bitching bitch.

Horizon
yet?

That's where I'm at.

I had to restart to take Miranda and Garrus instead of Miranda and Jack -- I figured Jack would help with all the barriers, until I realized the only one with warp was Miranda... Jack just sucks for the combat section at the end... so I'm hoping Garrus with a sniper rifle can hel out some...

DY_nasty

Being all Paragon or all Renegade sucks this time around... for all the real decisions and options, there's no good answer. Plenty of times you can pick Paragon and piss people off. Other times you pick Paragon and piss yourself off. On my third playthrough, I'm gonna just flow with it. I've already seen a ton of situations where its possible to lead off renegade and finish Paragon or vice versa.

kitzkozan

infinityBCRT said:
I've seen the planet scanner now (haven't gotten to it in the game yet but pulled up a video on youtube) and this really is a re-imagining of the resource mining in Starflight and Star Control 2.

Star Control 2 Resource Mining: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3PUgxBya4M#t=01m30s

I don't mind the mining(and the nod to a sci-fi rpg which is supposed to be a classic is nice as well),but it should be faster to rotate the planet. :lol It's just too slow,and therefore it become tedious after doing it 5-6 time.

Give us some upgrade to speed up the process by 60-70% and it will be perfect. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
DY_nasty said:
First, what class are you? And who's in your party?

Second, is it the boss thats kicking your ass or the horde?

Third, Heavy Weapons.

I'm on the
second wave, with the Harbinger and Drones. It's the combination of the Harbinger and the Assassin that's just messing me up.
. Don't even know if I'll even make it to the boss. :lol

Per Cep's advice, I'm running with Garrus and Mordin for their shield/armor busting abilities. I'm running Sentinel with Tech Armor all ranked up.

And I already drained half my heavy weapon on the first wave. I kind of want to save it, but I don't know if that's possible.

Zeliard

DY_nasty said:
Being all Paragon or all Renegade sucks this time around... for all the real decisions and options, there's no good answer. Plenty of times you can pick Paragon and piss people off. Other times you pick Paragon and piss yourself off. On my third playthrough, I'm gonna just flow with it. I've already seen a ton of situations where its possible to lead off renegade and finish Paragon or vice versa.

Yeah. MC Grammar was grillin' earlier, but I've made some Paragon decisions that didn't exactly lead to anything great for the other person.

I think they do a much better job at that sort of thing than in the first game, where it was very much black-and-white. Even some of the Renegade options this time around are more greyish than they are black.

It's still no Witcher when it comes to that, though, certainly.

DY_nasty

Zeliard said:
Ah damn, so that
Samara
spoiler I read must've been legit.
Correct.

Both Samara and Morinthe are great characters though. Samara seems very shallow at first, but if you choose to keep her around you find out quite a bit about her and all that she's been through - including the future of the asari.

Additional spoiler regarding that character:
Also, she'll tell you about her fight with Nihlus

firehawk12

Subete no aware
corrosivefrost said:
That's where I'm at.

I had to restart to take Miranda and Garrus instead of Miranda and Jack -- I figured Jack would help with all the barriers, until I realized the only one with warp was Miranda... Jack just sucks for the combat section at the end... so I'm hoping Garrus with a sniper rifle can hel out some...

The main reason I went with Mordin was because of the 25% extra tech damage you can upgrade before you start the mission. That just seemed too good to pass up.

Wiggum2007

Anyone else notice that they messed up the elevator on the Normandy?

On the 1st, 2nd, and 4th floors you exit the elevator facing the front of the ship, but on the 3rd floor you exit the elevator and you're facing the rear. And the elevator only has a door one one side so it's not just that you exit the other side of the elevator.

Obviously no huge deal, but it is a bit amusing that nobody noticed this during development.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Himuro said:
How can I do this? I don't want to change the affinity every time I play.
Simply copy that command into notepad (or some other text editor). Save the file as "Affinity.bat" or w/e you want, but make sure it has a "bat" extension.

Copy that over to the Binaries folder, where MassEffect2.exe is located.

Then just create a shortcut to "Afinity.bat" on your desktop, or wherever you want. You can then modify the shortcut's icon, using file settings.

Swag

Is it possible to save all of the crew after the
Surprise Collector Attack? I just saw the achievement for it, and thought that maybe I was too slow

DY_nasty

firehawk12 said:
I'm on the
second wave, with the Harbinger and Drones. It's the combination of the Harbinger and the Assassin that's just messing me up.
. Don't even know if I'll even make it to the boss. :lol

Per Cep's advice, I'm running with Garrus and Mordin for their shield/armor busting abilities. I'm running Sentinel with Tech Armor all ranked up.

And I already drained half my heavy weapon on the first wave. I kind of want to save it, but I don't know if that's possible.
Damn, even your Sentinel is getting rocked? Yikes.

I hate Mordin though, at least in a firefight... Thats a weird squad combination though. Try putting Garrus across the map and keeping Mordin with you on the 'left' side where the elevated area with the two ramps and cover/railing in between. That way you've got Mordin's extra gun directly covering your ass and you can still direct his powers across the map to ease the pressure on Garrus. The one thing you definitely don't want is for guys to die with enemies on top of them. Avoid that at all costs. Never waste a medi-gel to bring a guy back who's just going to die in 5 seconds.

DY_nasty

Sebulon3k said:
Is it possible to save all of the crew after the
Surprise Collector Attack? I just saw the achievement for it, and thought that maybe I was too slow
Huge spoilers of course.
No. That achievement is for later I believe

firehawk12

Subete no aware
DY_nasty said:
Damn, even your Sentinel is getting rocked? Yikes.

I hate Mordin though, at least in a firefight... Thats a weird squad combination though. Try putting Garrus across the map and keeping Mordin with you on the 'left' side where the elevated area with the two ramps and cover/railing in between. That way you've got Mordin's extra gun directly covering your ass and you can still direct his powers across the map to ease the pressure on Garrus. The one thing you definitely don't want is for guys to die with enemies on top of them. Avoid that at all costs. Never waste a medi-gel to bring a guy back who's just going to die in 5 seconds.

I'll give that a try and just circle strafe like a bitch for twenty minutes. :lol

It's too bad that the battle starts right after a cutscene. It kind of doesn't give you any chance to set up. :(

So is there no inventory/item/armor/weapon management or am I tarded?

Anyway, played for a couple hours tonight. Had no idea that Sarah from Chuck was in the game, so that is awesome, also had no idea about the beginning segment so I was like WTF! And then I got all sad for a few minutes.

Only negative so far is the completely retarded name for the "illusive' man" Really? They couldn't come up with something a little less stupid. But that's just a small annoyance, and I'm hoping I will get the chance to kill him before all is said and done.

Also, it was weird that I don't have any Mass Effect 1 saves on my HDD but I was still able to import my last save game from 5/08. So uhh, where was it saved at?

TheExodu5

Banned
DY_nasty said:

I like the choices this time. Paragon choices are what I would make them.

In the first Mass Effect, to be Paragon, you had to be naive. Any time you even questioned the most ridiculous orders you'd get Renegade points. This time, Paragon is the morally proper choice, not the lawful one. That's the way it should be, IMO.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
hateradio said:
I had the same issue too, but I just start the game with a .bat file now, placed in the same directory as the game, instead of doing that, with this command:

Code:
start /affinity 01 MassEffect2.exe

I also made a post on their forums, but I guess it has been ignored... I was annoyed that it could take up to 2 minutes to load this game.
So you're just running on one core, permanently? Any performance loss?

Haeleos

Bioware, are you f'ing serious with these minigames? I don't know whether I'm going to get carpal tunnel or just keel over from how mind numbingly boring scanning these planets is. The whole galaxy map rigmarole has become this depressing gateway to the actual fun in the game... Did people really feel they needed to drag a little ship icon around the map screen and refuel instead of just clicking on a destination?

Also, if I just pick the blue Paragon option every time, I'm just going to get more Paragon points, thus ensuring the blue dialogue option is always available to me. What's the point of removing the speech skills if they are just a guaranteed, linear thing now? The only way you wouldn't get the blue or red option now is if you didn't choose them often enough or you were doing some kind of half Paragon and half Renegade thing.

The combat feels great though and I'm glad they spent a lot of time on that, but most of the design decisions that went into improving the game outside of that are bandaid solutions at best. I'd rather they had actually made improvements to the inventory and skills systems rather than throwing most of it out and calling it a day.

Sacrificing damage output and weapon skills for better decryption or speech allowed for an interesting dynamic to the customization in the first game. While it obviously wasn't as fleshed out in the first game as it could have been, I don't think it warranted replacing them with minigames or cutting them out of the game completely. In ME2, I feel the only choice in the customization of my character is what flashy effect do I want to use to deal damage.

DY_nasty

firehawk12 said:
I'll give that a try and just circle strafe like a bitch for twenty minutes. :lol

It's too bad that the battle starts right after a cutscene. It kind of doesn't give you any chance to set up. :(
Yeah I know, but they'll give you breaks before each wave to regroup and snatch heat sinks. Use those chances to reposition.

Also, I think that Mordin is pretty much useless in all but the most unique scenarios... If you can cryo the hordes then go for it but UGH I hate him.

Kraut

Wow, the
MASSIVE MID-GAME SPOILERS: Collector ship was are nice refresher from the mostly shiny, metalic space stations and such, and the Prothean involvement got me stroking my Mass Effect Nerd Boner. Now I have get to go to the galactic center to eff ess up? So awesome.
I'm so glad I avoided everything post-E3.

Swag

Just stumbled upon the
Missile Control Test
. Why are Batarians always trying to fuck up someone's day :lol

Digital-Hero said:
Just got the game on PC. I do not see my Mass Effect 1 save to import even though ME1 and its saves are there.

Anyone?

Also can you make a New Game+ & choose a different save point from Mass Effect 1?
Or will New Game+ continue all the choices from the import you first made.

Darvan

I had a question on the Xbox 360 does this game seem really dark? I went into the options and the brightness settings says the "N" and "7" should be visible. I wanted to know your guys thoughts .

See You Next Wednesday said:
Anyone?

Also can you make a New Game+ & choose a different save point from Mass Effect 1?
Or will New Game+ continue all the choices from the import you first made.

Did you use the configure tool to move your Mass Effect 1 saves to the correct place?

hate to ask an old question, but now that most people have it, maybe more thoughts are floating around:

PC players -
are you using KB&M or a controller? I found the KB&M a bit cumbersome. I wanted to know if it was just me and that will go away eventually, or if controller is the way to go.

Darvan said:
I had a question on the Xbox 360 does this game seem really dark? I went into the options and the brightness settings says the "N" and "7" should be visible. I wanted to know your guys thoughts .
hmmm. might want to check your display colors.

have you calibrated?

Darvan

Dreams-Visions said:
hmmm. might want to check your display colors.

have you calibrated?

Yes, I have my TV calibrated perhaps I'll change the 360 to use standard instead of enhanced. Although when you goto the options is your "N" visible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom