• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping the harder difficulties would be beefed up a bit in ME2, as you don't particularly even need a new game + char to function well enough in Insanity on ME. I was also hoping for more creative methods of difficulty increases, but I suppose we'll see.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cep said:
Good question. The firs time, I do not think it is likely. 20 hours in and I am
at level 15.

Also, combat difficulty is definitely up. I have died more times in one scenario (especially two of them so far) on Insane difficulty than I have on all my ME1 play-throughs combined

Looks like the grind to 30 will be like the ME1 grind to 60. :lol
I guess I won't mind doing Casual then Insanity.

Oh yeah - since you're so obliging - one last question. :)
It was pointed out that playing ME2 with certain ME1 achievements unlocked gave you certain bonuses (like the "rich" achievement for having a million credits in ME1) - did you notice anything in particular?

Jinjo

Cep said:
Those kind of achievements are not in. You can do this, as wells re-spec, for an Eezo fee in the research lab.

But that means you can still do it right? For example give an adept the ability to wield a shotgun? Or make a vanguard able to use an adept-only ability like Singularity?

S1kkZ said:
nope.
the new male shepard voice is a disaster: sounds way to old and lacks any emotion.
same goes for all the other characters (that i heard so far): complete lack of emotion.

we're talking about the german version, how is any of that grounds for critique ;)

wRATH2x

Banned
Dammit last post!

Wrath2X said:
Alright guys answer this without spoiling anything.

So if I went from Paragon to Renegade, would the characters start noticing a difference? Like saying I became a hard ass because
Kaiden died, Ashley left me, etc.
?

Really depressing if they even dropped the great stuff that made the game unique in so many ways. What reason is there to abandon the most innovative use of achievements in the entire 360 library, or scale it back rather than enhance it?

Cep

Banned
firehawk12 said:
Looks like the grind to 30 will be like the ME1 grind to 60. :lol
I guess I won't mind doing Casual then Insanity.

Oh yeah - since you're so obliging - one last question. :)
It was pointed out that playing ME2 with certain ME1 achievements unlocked gave you certain bonuses (like the "rich" achievement for having a million credits in ME1) - did you notice anything in particular?

Yeah, a shit-ton of cash, really helpful. Only achievement that made a difference.
Peff said:
How does that work?
Can you choose ANY special talents from other classes anytime?

One of the research projects in the lab allows you to get the special skill of one of your mates(each member receives a unique skill after becoming loyal) for a price (I think it is Element Zero, beware, this shit is fucking rare).

Each time you change the skill, you pay a fee.

Kureishima said:
I was hoping the harder difficulties would be beefed up a bit in ME2, as you don't particularly even need a new game + char to function well enough in Insanity on ME. I was also hoping for more creative methods of difficulty increases, but I suppose we'll see.

Maybe I just that damn good:)lol ). I am using a sentinel, and it is by NO MEANS a cakewalk. I have spent hours in despair because a section is too fucking hard(Bringing the right party members makes a MASSIVE difference. You will learn to love Jacob in the beginning if your character does not have pull)

wRATH2x

Banned
elrechazao said:
Really depressing if they even dropped the great stuff that made the game unique in so many ways. What reason is there to abandon the most innovative use of achievements in the entire 360 library, or scale it back rather than enhance it?
Whats what now?

Peff

Cep said:
One of the research projects in the lab allows you to get the special skill of one of your mates(each member receives a unique skill after becoming loyal) for a price (I think it is Element Zero, beware, this shit is fucking rare).

Each time you change the skill, you pay a fee.

Oh, nice, that's basically the same thing with a bit more room to experiment. Good stuff.

Cep

Banned
One thing I will say about the Paragon/Renegade thing, they nailed it this time.

Shepard feels like a full on personality, and P/R just variations of the core. No longer do you oscillate between sociopath and self-righteous ass.
Paragon Shep can be pretty ruthless, whilst renegade can be pretty compassionate. Very nice

I actually think that at this point it is simply flavoring. They kept it just because it make the interrupt system much clearer, but it really does not matter other than that. I can see myself playing renegade this time(
Not racist, and still feels like a genuine hero
).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, it's that time again when a big release comes, and I'm going to be wondering if the game will come in the beginning of the week - I'm realistically hoping for Tuesday, but I know the guys there personally so I know they'll call either way, but still!

bran said:
OP will you be adding Character Creator ID strings for well created/celebrity likeness?

I definitely will, especially seeing how easy it is to share characters in Mass Effect 2 now - good idea!

Gonna add that to Miscellaneous info as well too, totally forgot about that feature...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kureishima said:
Yeah, female Shepard is definitely the best. I'm playing through ME with a male Shepard for the first time this weekend and I don't really dig it. He doesn't seem as awesome or fit for the role as female Shepard!
Totally feel the same.

Jinjo

Zeouterlimits said:
Stupid Europe and their stupid Friday release days :(

I know, right. But sometimes it works out for the better. For example I have 2 course exams the coming week and if ME 2 had released last friday... Well, let's say I am not that strong-willed of an individual. :lol

dejan

Funny thing is I bought the US version here from germany on Steam, but the game wouldn't start preloading before firing up a proxy. Now when I start Steam without a proxy the game's status is still "Not yet released "and it's listed under "Not Installed" although the preload finished successfully. Guess I'll have to play with a proxy on tuesday.

selig

Banned
S1kkZ said:
nope.
the new male shepard voice is a disaster: sounds way to old and lacks any emotion.
same goes for all the other characters (that i heard so far): complete lack of emotion.

i would prefer the german version, if ea would finally talk about the release of the english voice track as dlc.

aTell us first if you hated the German voice acting of ME1, too. Then your complaints about it in ME2 probably wont matter much. From the trailer, new German Shepard sounded great.

Btw. I just started my 11th play through. Now that I decided to go for the PC-version I want to build up some saves :p

RS4-

Respec Shep is 2500 Element Zero (EZ)
Switching her bonus power is 5000 EZ and you only get to choose from loyal allies; who only have one special talent.

For example Miranda has
slam
Thane has
shredder ammo

Say you take Garrus' talent as your own and pump in 10 points, then switch it to another skill, those 10 points are automatically given to the new one.

Man, I think shotguns and AI hacking are fucking awful compared to ME1.

I posted this in the hype thread, going to repost here:
Ammo skills maxed out give you two options: full squad ability or more powerful individual ammo. If I have a maxed out squad incinerate and cryo, what happens?
I personally can't test it until I do NG+ and recruit certain guys and try it out.

About hitting level 30, I got up to 25 at the end of the game. I started at level 2 from my ME1 import (was only level 45). And that's with leaving a handful of galaxies unexplored, which I'll assume would only yield maybe 3 or 4 more planets I could actually land on.

PBalfredo

How viable is using weapons you're not trained in? This might be a deciding factor in which class I choose. I like the Sentinel's power set but after playing through ME1 as an Infiltrator I got sick of only having a pistol in close range. Having a shotty as a Vanguard is looking pretty tempting.

My local Future Shop is such a cock tease. It shows in stock on the web site which means it is physically at the store, but the bastards won't release it until Tuesday.

I'm going to check the local mom and pops store today, but I don't really know the guys there so who knows if they will let it go to me before Tues.

RS4-

PBalfredo said:
How viable is using weapons you're not trained in? This might be a deciding factor in which class I choose. I like the Sentinel's power set but after playing through ME1 as an Infiltrator I got sick of only having a pistol in close range. Having a shotty as a Vanguard is looking pretty tempting.

There is only one mission where you can pick a bonus weapon and I ended up choosing an upgraded weapon instead :lol So I don't know what happens if you pick up something like a sniper rifle for Vanguard if there are any negatives when it comes to aiming and accuracy.

I used Vanguard for my first game and rolled with the pistol through 99% of it. It helps that there are two pistols which I think all classes get in the intro. One has a three shot burst, the other is a semi auto.

careksims

and... 100% Pre-load finished on Steam! :D Tuesday awaits! My British friend has to wait til
Friday. They have to wait... mwahahahah >_>

Can't wait to transfer my female Shepard.

Jinjo

RS4- said:
There is only one mission where you can pick a bonus weapon and I ended up choosing an upgraded weapon instead :lol So I don't know what happens if you pick up something like a sniper rifle for Vanguard if there are any negatives when it comes to aiming and accuracy.

I used Vanguard for my first game and rolled with the pistol through 99% of it. It helps that there are two pistols which I think all classes get in the intro. One has a three shot burst, the other is a semi auto.

So you can pick a bonus weapon talent? Can anyone confirm? Would be fucking sweet and a big decider whether I'll go with Soldier or Sentinel.

AgentOtaku said:
ugh ...female Shepards still look HIDEOS! =(

Guess I'm sticking with a male
Female shep looks nothing like me.
hideo_kojima_humble.jpg

pahamrick

Jinjo said:
So you can pick a bonus weapon talent? Can anyone confirm? Would be fucking sweet and a big decider whether I'll go with Soldier or Sentinel.

Yes. There's a story mission that happens that allows you to pick a bonus weapon talent. I was watching a friend play, who was able to start using a Sniper with his Adept.

Jinjo

pahamrick said:
Yes. There's a story mission that happens that allows you to pick a bonus weapon talent. I was watching a friend play, who was able to start using a Sniper with his Adept.

Thank you very much. That is just fucking awesome. :D So now my Soldier Shepard from ME 1 will definitely turn into a different class in ME 2.

Ephemeris

Where can you find the character creator code anyways? Spent a couple mins looking for it yesterday to no avail.

I almost wished I never messed around with it now. Makes the wait even harder.

Dan Yo

Banned
pahamrick said:
Interesting. Does anyone know which other weapons the soldier can use that the sentinel cannot? Just the assault rifle and shotgun, right? All classes can use heavy weapons I assume. How long does it take to get to that point in the game?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
neojubei said:
Wow you must have done a lot of side missions.

If you play with intention of doing everything hitting level 60, especially with DLC, is pretty easy to achieve in both playthroughs.

First playthrough I hit 50 before Illos, and on the second playthrough I hit 60 before finishing Virmire. I did do every single sidequest in the game, but it didnt take all that long.

RS4-

Ephemeris said:
Where can you find the character creator code anyways? Spent a couple mins looking for it yesterday to no avail.

I almost wished I never messed around with it now. Makes the wait even harder.

In the game? Go to squad and it's on the top left, above your Shepard name

pahamrick

Dan Yo said:
Interesting. Does anyone know which other weapons the soldier can use that the sentinel cannot? Just the assault rifle and shotgun, right? All classes can use heavy weapons I assume. How long does it take to get to that point in the game?

I couldn't tell you how long, but I think my friend was at the 10 hour mark when he got to that point. Might be higher than that.

Slight spoilers, but nothing real story related

I'm pretty sure its after you recruit your first set of team mates. You're given information on 4 members to recruit first. I can't say for certain, I wasn't watching him the whole time he was playing, but I think after you recruit the first 4 you get a message that the Illusive Man wants to talk to you. He gives you information on a mission, and the mission automatically starts. After a few minutes in the mission, something will happen and you'll be able to select a new weapon to use.

All classes are able to use Heavy Weapons once you get the first HW in the game.

Ephemeris

RS4- said:
In the game? Go to squad and it's on the top left, above your Shepard name

Hmm, you mean the part where you assign points to your powers? Don't remember seeing anything out of the norm there. Does it not work with imported characters?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I did almost no sidequests because I thought they were awful. I did the quick ones on the Citadel and the rogue VI, everything else was playing the campaign over and over. I beat the game like...twice yesterday.

Kabouter

pahamrick said:
All classes are able to use Heavy Weapons once you get the first HW in the game.
And my god is the strongest heavy weapon in the game glorious. That thing just annihilates shit.

RS4-

Ephemeris said:
Hmm, you mean the part where you assign points to your powers? Don't remember seeing anything out of the norm there. Does it not work with imported characters?

Yeah, that screen. It's some long ass code, shows up for both import and default created characters.

jkwu29.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom