• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Himuro said:
You know when you're surrounded by a shitload of guys firing rockets at you and they're grouped together? Then.
He's saying its useless against anything with shields/armor/barriers.

Which it just just about is...

sweetvar26 said:
I have been playing this game for the last 2 days, clocked in around 15-20 hours, going pretty slow, taking to everybody and all. I got no complains with the storyline or the battlefield.

However the game is barely an RPG, everytime you do a mission you get 1000XP which is pretty dumb because it does not matter how many people you kill or what you do in the mission or how much you explored.

Also the XP needed from Level 1 to Level 2 is the same amount as the XP needed for Level 29 to Level 30. This is such a letdown for me and my buddy who has been playing the same amout as me too. He played through the first one 6 times and though this one beats the first one in terms of story and others, it lacks big time as an RPG. I don't really see the point of levelling up, neither does it feel really rewarding.

It feels like a straight up action game where you can either use guns or powers with some RPG elements. I am not happy with it so far in terms of that :(

Next time Bioware please stick with the basics of RPG, I think the first one is better than this one, except for the framerate issues.

It sounds like all of those are actual RPG-style implementations, you're just not happy with how they were implemented. You're still describing levels and EXP, core tenets of RPGs that are only attainable in this game by completing missions and defeating enemies.

sweetvar26 said:
However the game is barely an RPG, everytime you do a mission you get 1000XP which is pretty dumb because it does not matter how many people you kill or what you do in the mission or how much you explored.

I don't understand this complaint. Why should it matter how many enemies you killed? You have to kill all of them on almost every mission.

Getting most of your XP from completing quests isn't anything new from Bioware, they just went all the way with it this time.

Himuro said:
For me he just thanked me. Didn't tell me he was going to reapply for Spectre. Hmm.

I think it's one of those things where you can cut the conversation off short by saying "well that's great, bye," instead of saying, "Yeah, and then what?"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DY_nasty said:
Its possible to play Vanguard on insanity, in a new game+.

But yeah... its rough. Have a level 4 time-slowing charge or its just pointless. An AR helps out too.

Also, Reave is a damned good bonus skill for Vanguards.

I thought all the complaints were already about New Game+ Vanguards.

What does Reave do? I expected Barrier to be more of an asset, though I'm not sure how the Skill system actually works. Can I initiate Barrier, then do a Biotic Charge?

EmCeeGramr said:
I think it's one of those things where you can cut the conversation off short by saying "well that's great, bye," instead of saying, "Yeah, and then what?"

I got the same thing. But I didn't cut him off. I just told him "you're welcome." I guess that counts as cutting him off? :lol

RubxQub said:
I'm guessing you need to be at a point in the story to make it happen (it's not tied to your Paragon/Renegade I hope).

After every mission I complete Kelly's got a new dialogue tree where there's always a "Hey I want to fuck you" type response. Miranda's had the same progression.

I'm in the middle of doing everyone's personal missions so perhaps I need to wrap up more of those before I can do my business.

I'm pretty sure it was after I did all the loyalty missions.

Micius

Himuro said:
I accidentally learned an extra skill from a party member that I don't want. Can I get rid of it? :(

You can pick the same upgrade again for 5000 element zero or something like that to pick a new skill, the points you put into the skill already will be added to the new skill.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Himuro said:
You can make Garrus a paragon/renegade? I let him kill off the doctor in ME1.

In the original how you treated Garrus would dictate how he thanked you at the end. You could have him respect order and law, and say he's going to rejoin C-SEC after its all over, or you can have him confident he should be taking the law into his own hands, where he will say he's going to reapply for the Spectres.

ME2 Spoils:
So when you meet him in the Archangel quest I believe he gives a brief statement as to what he's been up to. Either that or back on the Normandy. For me he mentioned how he reapplied for Spectre training, as thats what he said he would do at the end of ME1.

DY_nasty

GuardianE said:
I thought all the complaints were already about New Game+ Vanguards.

What does Reave do? I expected Barrier to be more of an asset, though I'm not sure how the Skill system actually works. Can I initiate Barrier, then do a Biotic Charge?
Reave is weird. It owns armor. Does okay against barriers. Drops organic enemies on the spot while giving you a huge health boost as long as its working (makes charging around and survival easier all together). Has a similar effect on synthetics, just won't get the health boost.

Its good, but its weird. Also, I don't think its warpable either.

Himuro said:
I accidentally learned an extra skill from a party member that I don't want. Can I get rid of it? :(

True. But most biotics are, so that's moot.

Get another 5000 element zero and advance train again. Whatever you learn will replace the current one.

I did this, thinking I'd learn a second new skill -- selected reave. It replaced slam. I was sad. (Only in that I lost something that I'd already put points into... Reave is totally better.)

Dandy

Amazon finally shipped my game! :)

Maybe it's been covered, but if I delete the ME1 install data on 360 will it also delete my save files?
Should I wait until after I've imported my characters into ME2 before deleting the ME1 install data?

The individual save files don't appear in the memory menu, just the 7.1 GB install data...

Swag

Himuro said:

True but even within the scope of the other biotics. Pull at level 4 does essentially the same thing on a shorter cooldown with a shorter animation. The number of times I've tried to shockwave enemies that were meleeing me in my face but knocked back is frustratingly high.

Outside of the Husk encounters, it simply became a skill for flashiness and not for utility.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really do love Vanguards, now. Charge + Cryo Ammo is truly awesome.

Is there a verdict on which sheppard has the better voiceacting? I heard the male sheppard in ME1 was terrible so I went fem, but I wouldn't mind trying male this time.

Dandy said:
Amazon finally shipped my game! :)

Maybe it's been covered, but if I delete the ME1 install data on 360 will it also delete my save files?
Should I wait until after I've imported my characters into ME2 before deleting the ME1 install data?

The individual save files don't appear in the memory menu, just the 7.1 GB install data...
you're hosed then. your saves are somewhere else if they still exist.

system > memory > all > mass effect should show something like this if you have it installed:

4mb gamertag profile
800kb save 1
800kb save 2
800kb autosave
7.1 game install

Coop

TheRagnCajun said:
Is there a verdict on which sheppard has the better voiceacting? I heard the male sheppard in ME1 was terrible so I went fem, but I wouldn't mind trying male this time.

Female Shepard is still the best but the Male Shepard has improved a lot in ME2.

Zeliard

Himuro said:

If there's any biotic in the game that should damage shields, it should be charge. That would fit perfectly with the high-rish/high-reward aspect of the move (and the Vanguard class), since as it stands now, the move is barely rewarding while still being high-risk.

On higher difficulties it's by a good margin the most useless biotic, since every enemy has at least one shield layer and they all do high damage. When they're down to their health bar, there are several more effective things you can do than charge (such as simply shooting them dead). If charge damaged shields it would actually be worth using, and it wouldn't hurt the balance at all since going up close to enemies in this game will almost always be risky.

Dandy

corrosivefrost said:
you're hosed then. your saves are somewhere else if they still exist.

system > memory > all > mass effect should show something like this if you have it installed:

4mb gamertag profile
800kb save 1
800kb save 2
800kb autosave
7.1 game install
Almost gave me a heart attack!
Looks like I was being dumb, I had to press A instead of Y to see all the files... haha.

Thanks! :D

TheRagnCajun said:
Female Shepard is by far the best. Wayyyyy underrated.

Dandy said:
Almost gave me a heart attack!
Looks like I was being dumb, I had to press A instead of Y to see all the files... haha.

Thanks! :D

Good, glad it worked out.

So to answer the original question, yes, you can feel free to delete the mass effect 6.8gb game install or whatever it is, so long as you keep the rest of the files.

DY_nasty

Zeliard said:
If there's any biotic in the game that should damage shields, it should be charge. That would fit perfectly with the high-rish/high-reward aspect of the move (and the Vanguard class), since as it stands now, the move is barely rewarding while still being high-risk.

On higher difficulties it's by a good margin the most useless biotic, since every enemy has at least one shield layer and they all do high damage. When they're down to their health bar, there are several more effective things you can do than charge (such as simply shooting them dead). If charge damaged shields it would actually be worth using, and it wouldn't hurt the balance at all since going up close to enemies in this game will almost always be risky.
Totally agree. Should be in the patch.
The Lamonster said:
Female Shepard is by far the best. Wayyyyy underrated.
Renegade Femshep is one of the best pieces of video game voice acting ever.

"Mine is bigger than yours"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I love Jenny H's voice acting in games but she just doesn't sound right in ME2, she always sounds bored and almost all of her sentences end in semi sighs, haven't played ME1 as a female so can't comment on that but in this game the male voice actor is by far the better one.

chandoog said:
I love Jenny H's voice acting in games but she just doesn't sound right in ME2, she always sounds bored and almost all of her sentences end in semi sighs, haven't played ME1 as a female so can't comment on that but in this game the male voice actor is by far the better one.
disagree.

If Jennifer Hale isn't in ME3, I'm not buying it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
chandoog said:

Hale sounds fine you crazy cat.

TheRagnCajun said:

He's not bad at all. He sounds ridiculously stuck up at first, but you get used to him fairly quickly. He also does a good job with the generic rage, whereas female Shepard can just sound like a ball buster.

Also, Jacob = 50 Cent with Kanye West's hairline?

My John Shepard is a Sentinel, and I kinda wanna use my Collectors Rifle. Will I be able to use it with a Sentinel, or can only Soldiers use it ?

DY_nasty said:
Totally agree. Should be in the patch.

Renegade Femshep is one of the best pieces of video game voice acting ever.

"Mine is bigger than yours"
:lol
Yeah that's one of the only times I've gone renegade, and boy was it worth it.

I would never play this game as male Shepard.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
He's not bad at all. He sounds ridiculously stuck up at first, but you get used to him fairly quickly. He also does a good job with the generic rage, whereas female Shepard can just sound like a ball buster.

Also, Jacob = 50 Cent with Kanye West's hairline?

I refer to Jacob as fiddy -- I was like "holy shit, first modern warfare 2 voice overs, now this?!" :D

Zeliard

chandoog said:

Male Shep's voice acting is often too flat and emotionless, and he can't emote anger to save his life (he just sounds petulant), which robs some scenes of some of their power. I've never played as female Shep, even in ME1, but I probably will on my next playthrough. From videos I've watched, she seems to be the far superior voice actor.

Male Shep's voice actor is at his best when he's acting like a smarmy jerk.

Buttonbasher said:
I would never play this game as male Shepard.
That makes me happy. It seems like she really doesn't get enough credit or attention, but she's the #1 reason I love Mass Effect.

it helps that my FemShep is super hot

anyone from gaf posted this? very nice!! :lol

glendashepard.jpg

Mindlog

Where will you be? When this is through?

/dance

I'm liking everything about the Vanguard.
Except charge :lol

I've gotten a lot of use out of pull and shockwave.

anyways, back to the game..

ALL GOES AS PLANNED

Cep

Banned
Basileus777 said:
And that's exactly why biotics (except warp) are useless on hardcore/insanity. And even the husks can be armored there. Biotics essentially become flashy finishing moves on the highest difficulties.

No question about it.

Warp
Reave
Dominate

Are the best on insanity, and dominate is debatable.

I would not call the others useless, but they are not a priority

Shockwave/Singularity are the only exceptions because their AoE can be useful at times. But even then...

Ronabo

Anyone have a spare LE code they'd trade for Wii Doc Louis Punch Out! code?

I still can't find any Dr. Pepper around me.

The Lamonster said:
That makes me happy. It seems like she really doesn't get enough credit or attention, but she's the #1 reason I love Mass Effect.

it helps that my FemShep is super hot
Same. It always bugged me in the pre-release stuff that it's all only male. That's why I don't know how I would feel about a movie. In my mind Shepard is and will always be female. It's a more interesting story that way.

SlickVic

The Lamonster said:
disagree.

If Jennifer Hale isn't in ME3, I'm not buying it.

Agreed. Loving Hale's work in ME2 so far. Unfortunate FemShep never really got promoted by Bioware in any of the promo stuff though I understand that they established the canon Shepard as male.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Sebulon3k said:
Did the CE come with the xbox 360 lollipops?

Not specifically, no - looks like the hats and lollipops just all came in the same shipment as the CE today.

Just glad I can finally access the Cerberus Network now, since I didn't use the one in the regular edition I got to return.

CE case is nice as expected BTW - after some food & Battlefield 2 demo, it's Mass Effect 2 time! :D

Cep

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
Same. It always bugged me in the pre-release stuff that it's all only male. That's why I don't know how I would feel about a movie. In my mind Shepard is and will always be female. It's a more interesting story that way.

The one romance that I have been aching for since ME1 was Male only.

I found out the day before i got the game. I check my saves, had 8 females, and no males.

So far, Meer has not been that bad, but that is mostly because I ignore him and read the text.

Hixx

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Does anyone think the camera is way too close to Shepard? I wish there was some way of pulling it back a notch.

Yes! Gotten used to it now after putting a fair bit of time into it but at first it was really annoying.

Zeliard

The camera does feel too close when you have your gun out. That's why I always holster my weapon the instant a battle is over.

Cep

Banned
I really wish Tali and Legion had better builds. They are amazing against Geth(and heavy mechs) and shield only enemies, but little more than that.

notworksafe

Ronabo said:
I still can't find any Dr. Pepper around me.

Me either! I'd even be willing to pay for someone to buy a bunch of Dr. Peppers for myself and a friend (Yeah that collection OCD is kicking in).

selig

Banned
Zeliard said:
The camera does feel too close when you have your gun out. That's why I always holster my weapon the instant a battle is over.

Actually, I´d love for the camera to be even closer, at least when you have your gun out. Im trying to immerse myself as much as possible, so I dont need to see my Shepard inmidst of battle.

widgetraf

Just started playing last night, got maybe an hour into the game.

I imported my ME1 character and noticed I have my guns from ME1 equipped! Ha! Anything else that carries over?

Also, I'm playing my character (Soldier class) on Insanity. Is this absurd? Should I have started with Hardcore or Normal? I've died a couple of times already in the first mission (after meeting the Illusive Man) but I figure this is just me getting used to the game again and I should stop failing after I get the hang of it.

Cep said:
I really wish Tali and Legion had better builds. They are amazing against Geth(and heavy mechs) and shield only enemies, but little more than that.

Engineers without overload or incinerate. Why, Bioware? At least Legion can use that sniper, Tali is stuck with a shotgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom