• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enosh said:
oh and if you import your ME2 character to start a new game can you pick a new class?

You can't change it. But you get a bunch of the new game+ bonuses (money, minerals, bonus talent) when starting a new character anyway. So you'll only really lose your weapons and level if you start over.

Meus Renaissance said:
Special Weapons/Ability: I understand that there are certain missions where you can give your class an added ability/weapon. I'm using an Adept and I'd greatly like to have an Assault Rifle. When is this certain mission or where specifically is it?
Only Soldiers can weild Assault Rifles.

Just got Jack and I have to say she is the first selection in my squad from now on. I saw her use the Shockwave ability against a few Mercs on a bridge on the other side - quite a distance - and they just flew into the horizon after she had finished with them. Another time where there were two Krogans flanking us, I aim her Shockwave on an explosive crate and my god - I've never seen such a force that could fling one, nevermind two Krogans, beyond the platform and into gaming abyss.

The Lamonster said:
Only Soldiers can weild Assault Rifles.

So what can I choose as an Adept? I'm talking about special abilities given to you at some point in the game, not from the get-go

DSN2K said:
does PC version have full 360 pad support ?
No, definitely not. Dunno why considering that of the last 10 PC games I have bought 9 had keyboard/mouse AND gamepad support. Yeah, they gave you choice. Bioware do not.
The one that didn't was Dragon Age (which is fair enough because it is a PC game first and foremost). But seriously, Borderlands, Fallout 3, Batman:AA, Far Cry 2, Resident Evil 5, NFS Shift, GTA IV, Saints Row 2, even Crysis Warhead all gave you the choice of how you would prefer to play the game you had just bought. What's Bioware's excuse?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Des0lar said:
No one :( ??
I stuck with my Engineer, and I'm enjoying it still. I put my early bonus points into the Combat Drone. Its a useful little guy, distracting and stunning enemies.
Slackbladder said:
What's Bioware's excuse?
Their excuse is that they changed the interface to take advantage of M/KB, and that's ho they intend it to be played. That's all, really.

Swag

Enosh said:
soo finished the game but the good doctor died and I don't a have a clue why...
he was loyal (like everyone else) and I got his upgrade, I didn't get the +50% tech dmg upgrade might have something to do with that?

... I kinda wanted everyone to survive and the doctors death was just so random, he had everything any other crew member had, who all survived

Same thing happened for me, I think he was just suicidal and decided it was the right time.

OdysseuS1985

Neo Member
Des0lar said:

I'd say, this is a pretty big game. And the class you choose may change your experience of the game. So your best bet is to play the game multiple times. Or just try the first few hours with different characters.
I just finished ME2 as an engineer, he's pretty cool, I like the really like Drone that he can summon, can be a life-saver when your under heavy attack. Starting as Sentinel in a couple of hours.

Des0lar said:

Sentinels and infiltrators are both excellent classes. Go infiltrator if you want to snipe, sentinel if you want to be an all around class that can do a bit of everything. Engineers are solid if you focus on overload and incinerate.

Zeliard

Meus Renaissance said:
I have a few questions and I'd appreciate if any one could help me out with them.

Medi-Gels; do they replenish automatically after each mission? I keep reading about an increase to their capacity although I can't find anywhere to "fill it up" in e.g. Sickbay/Med Lab like you could in the first game.

Heavy Weapons ammo: Similar question. I have the Rocket Launcher and it had then reached 12 missiles. Not sure if that was due to me upgrading or if there is a particular way to refill the stock.

You find medi-gels and heavy weapon ammo just laying around levels at times. Heavy weapon ammo = power cells.

I think medi-gels resupply automatically after every mission, but I'm not sure about that. I rarely end up using them.

Meus Renaissance said:
Hacking: In particular, the one where you have to hack the firewall systems by matching colour-based codes. It says I have 3 attempts left but if I screw up in one go, I can't attempt to hack that item again. Thousands of credits gone just like that. What does the "3 attempts remaining" therefore mean if you can't have another attempt?

The "3 attempts" refers to you hitting that red box. You can hit it three times before it'll fail you.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Do their loyalty mission. If you still don't have loyalty after that... you're pretty much fucked for later like me! Unless you have 100% Paragon to woo them back.

What loyalty missions? I just got the game today by the way, so quite far behind most of you. At what point will I come across these missions? I just don't want to miss something

Cep

Banned
Zeliard said:
You find medi-gels and heavy wepaon ammo just lying around levels at times. Heavy weapon ammo = power cells.

I think medi-gels resupply automatically after every mission, but I'm not sure about that. I rarely end up using them.

The "3 attempts" refers to you hitting that red box. You can hit it three times before it'll fail you.

They do not.

rhino4evr

I spent all this time trying to make my shepard and when I finally got to see him talk in game he looks cross eyed or crazy eyed
is this a common thing or should I start over? I'm in the first area right when you meet your first squad member

Red Blaster said:
When can you do loyalty missions?

I haven't done any myself but I'm guessing you have to talk to your team mates enough to get them to open up and suggest a personal mission of sorts. If I'm wrong, you guys can correct me.

OdysseuS1985

Neo Member
Meus Renaissance said:
What loyalty missions? I just got the game today by the way, so quite far behind most of you. At what point will I come across these missions? I just don't want to miss something

Don't want to spoil it for you by saying to much. So just talk to your team-mates regularly and you won't miss any loyalty-missions.

Red Blaster said:
Gotta say that Assault Rifles are kind of lame now that headshots actually matter. Should've picked Infiltrator instead of Soldier.
and they run out of ammo very quickly.

I have to say that's my least favorite change in ME2.

rhino4evr said:
I spent all this time trying to make my shepard and when I finally got to see him talk in game he looks cross eyed or crazy eyed
is this a common thing or should I start over? I'm in the first area right when you meet your first squad member

It happened to me too. The lighting in the creation screen makes your Shepard look at lot different than in-game.

Cep

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:

Do not worry about it.

Assault rifles will not be available to you until you have recruited all but one party member.

Enosh

Sebulon3k said:
Same thing happened for me, I think he was just suicidal and decided it was the right time.
I'll try it again this time with him going along with the crew members back to Normandy -.-

oh and about the ending
why the fuck were they building that reaper thing again?

Zeliard

slasher_thrasher21 said:
I haven't done any myself but I'm guessing you have to talk to your team mates enough to get them to open up and suggest a personal mission of sorts. If I'm wrong, you guys can correct me.

Basically. Kelly will automatically inform you that a certain party member wants to talk to you, and that's how you know. It's paced via the progression of the storyline, it seems. The further you progress, the more loyalty missions open up.

SlickVic

So you can lose a squadmate's loyalty after doing their loyalty mission? Guess I have to look out for that. I though prepping for the final mission was as simple as recruiting everyone, doing their respective loyalty mission, and upgrading the Normandy.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Basileus777 said:
Sentinels and infiltrators are both excellent classes. Go infiltrator if you want to snipe, sentinel if you want to be an all around class that can do a bit of everything. Engineers are solid if you focus on overload and incinerate.
Do sentinels recieve any additional weapons training or are they relying only on their tech/biotic powers?

Cep said:
Do not worry about it.

Assault rifles will not be available to you until you have recruited all but one party member.

Not sure if I follow. By default, Adept classes do not get Assault Rifles. However I understand that each class is able to get a secondary ability/attribute/weapon. Will this mission come to when I have recruited all but one?

jjasper

Man I know this is a small detail but the atuo save system is so much better than the first 1. I don't know if that has to due to the loss of the Mako or what but I remember in 1 there would be times I would have to replay 30 or more mins cause I didn't think to save.

Also ran into my first cameo
stupid bitch still working cloning factories, should have killed her the first time

Des0lar said:
Do sentinels recieve any additional weapons training or are they relying only on their tech/biotic powers?

Sentinels can use Heavy Pistols/Machine Pistols, and like everyone else can learn to train in another weapon pretty late in the game. Most of the time you are going to be using your tech/biotic powers and the pistols.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just finished it and I liked the gameplay of the end a lot (excepting the final boss), but the story...I need to think about it. That was weird.

Ducarmel

Meus Renaissance said:
Not sure if I follow. By default, Adept classes do not get Assault Rifles. However I understand that each class is able to get a secondary ability/attribute/weapon. Will this mission come to when I have recruited all but one?
a little after midway in the game you will get the option in a mission. a little out of place learning a new weapon in the middle of a mission seeing how you only level at the end of a mission in this game

rhino4evr

Basileus777 said:
It happened to me too. The lighting in the creation screen makes your Shepard look at lot different than in-game.
Did u restart? I'm thinking of redoing it but don't want to waste my time if he is going to look crazy eyed again
maybe it because I used smaller eye shapes?

Aedile

jjasper said:
Also ran into my first cameo
stupid bitch still working cloning factories, should have killed her the first time

Maybe my Renegade just wasn't high enough yet, but I'm surprised that there was no option to kill her. Don't chastise me for being soft, Miranda, I would've killed her if I could!

rhino4evr said:
Did u restart? I'm thinking of redoing it but don't want to waste my time if he is going to look crazy eyed again
maybe it because I used smaller eye shapes?

I just stayed with it because I didn't feel like starting over. With my second character I used a face on this database as a basis and ended up with a much better result.

Cep

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Sentinels can use Heavy Pistols/Machine Pistols, and like everyone else can learn to train in another weapon pretty late in the game. Most of the time you are going to be using your tech/biotic powers and the pistols.

I think it is because I did not get many pistols, but I found my SMG much more useful(I am on Insane BTW).

Y2Kev said:
I just finished it and I liked the gameplay of the end a lot (excepting the final boss), but the story...I need to think about it. That was weird.

Classic Bioware (recent WRPGs in general). Well built subsections, shitty/uninspired main plot.

Meus Renaissance said:

Each class can gain both of the following:

-One of their squad-mates Abilities (after doing their loyalty mission)
-Training in an extra weapon close to the end(after you have recruited mostly everyone)

Finally (about an hour ago) finished my first run through of ME1 in anticipation of perhaps picking this up tomorrow.

Completed the game as a level 44 Soldier, near the top in paragon points, but I don't think 100%
not sure how to check the bar isn't totally full on my status screen, so not 100% I'm guessing

Looking at the OP, it seems my run-through probably won't net me any starting bonuses at all in ME2, and reading up on GAF and other sources, if I wanted to level to 60, It could mean two more full playthroughs of the game.

Is it worth my time to do that, or should I just be happy I've got a save with the choices I've made and get started with ME2?

I'm guessing that if I New Game + in ME1, the choices running through to ME2 would only be from the play through in which I hit level 60? I like the thought that I've done ME1 my way and want to see through what choices I've made, but don't like the idea of starting without bonuses, or are the starter perks not really that much of a big deal?

My other thought is to go for some more ME1 run throughs, and pick this up when the price drops. Drawbacks to that is I loose the choices I made in my first simply story led play through, plus I really just want to get started on ME2 :lol Thoughts GAF?

Cep said:
I think it is because I did not get many pistols, but I found my SMG much more useful(I am on Insane BTW).

I actually meant Heavy Pistols and SMGs. Since one of the SMGs is called a machine pistol, I sometimes think of them as different types of pistols. SMGs are great for tearing through shields.

Y2Kev

Cep, I think this game feels very much like the "second game" in the trilogy. It actually feels a lot like middle entries in most trilogies--maybe not Empire Strikes Back (the best second entry in a trilogy ever?)--in that there's
not a whole lot of main plot progression.

Building a team is a very "middle entry" thing to do. I don't expect this to happen again for the next game-- that should be entirely focused on
the direct reaper threat.
I'm sure it will be.

Zeliard

To those who have beaten it, so is it actually possible for Shepard to die a permanent death at the end, or was that empty hype?

Basileus777 said:

Yeah, my female Shepard looked great in the creation screen, but she looks like Kermit the frog in-game. >=(

Spl1nter

Really loving the game so far. About 15 hours in. Its definitely better then the first. Suprised that the loot system changes dont bother me at all. Bioware is amazing having released DA and ME2 in the last few months

Y2Kev

Zeliard said:
To those who have beaten it, so is it actually possible for Shepard to die a permanent death at the end, or was that more empty hype?

I think it is possible. I'm scanning youtube now for vidyos.

For EmCee:

eurogamer said:
He's told us that Mass Effect 3 is already in production, hinted that co-op might be a consideration and talked about new games, E3 reveals, DLC and more.

coop baybee!!!

Anyone know exactly how many side-missions/assignments there are? I've completed 40 but I feel like there might be more.

Also Zaeed is a top-5 team-mate. Should have been in main game not bonus!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nihilistic Monk said:
Finally (about an hour ago) finished my first run through of ME1 in anticipation of perhaps picking this up tomorrow.

Completed the game as a level 44 Soldier, near the top in paragon points, but I don't think 100%
not sure how to check the bar isn't totally full on my status screen, so not 100% I'm guessing

Looking at the OP, it seems my run-through probably won't net me any starting bonuses at all in ME2, and reading up on GAF and other sources, if I wanted to level to 60, It could mean two more full playthroughs of the game.

Is it worth my time to do that, or should I just be happy I've got a save with the choices I've made and get started with ME2?

I'm guessing that if I New Game + in ME1, the choices running through to ME2 would only be from the play through in which I hit level 60? I like the thought that I've done ME1 my way and want to see through what choices I've made, but don't like the idea of starting without bonuses, or are the starter perks not really that much of a big deal?

My other thought is to go for some more ME1 run throughs, and pick this up when the price drops. Drawbacks to that is I loose the choices I made in my first simply story led play through, plus I really just want to get started on ME2 :lol Thoughts GAF?

Couldn't you just make the same decisions the second go around? That's what I plan on doing with my Playthrough 2. Of course, I'm a level 50 and have the DLC, so getting to 60 will be a little easier, but I'm determined to keep the choices I made in the first one.

Zeliard

Jooolieeezy said:
It's so disappointing that you can't take off your helmets when using the Terminus and Collectors' Armor.. Those 2 are beautiful.

On occasions like this, I try to think back to Jeff Green saying that everything that we think of that devs could have done to make something in their game better, they considered it.

Even so, it's hard to imagine how anyone at Bioware thought that releasing armor that feature helmets which completely cover Shepard's face at all times and cannot be removed is something that people would prefer, in a game that's at least 50% conversation. Just one of those truly puzzling design decisions.

GuardianE said:
Couldn't you just make the same decisions the second go around? That's what I plan on doing with my Playthrough 2. Of course, I'm a level 50 and have the DLC, so getting to 60 will be a little easier, but I'm determined to keep the choices I made in the first one.

It's been around a year since I last touched ME and spending about 3 hours mopping up the last bits of the story this afternoon, so I'd be hard pressed to remember everything I've done through the game. Didn't get the DLC either, which I heard requires a new playthough to activate. Plus, apparently some side quest results have implications, so doing a rush through again skipping side quests may inadvertently change things I've done.

So you're holding off on ME2 explicitly so you can get to Lvl 60 before ME2? You feel the starter perks are that important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom