• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xevren

Himuro said:
I met with Conrad Verner. In my game, I put a gun to his face to show him what it's like to a Spectre and if he was willing to put his life on the line. I told him to hang it up and take care of home.

In ME2:

He's a nut, crazy with power. A jackass dudebro, basically. Now he thinks he's all EXTREME and shit.

Nice touch.

Oh shit! Where is he?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Just beat it. Pretty damn good, indeed.

Actual Spoilers:
So in the end I kept the collector ship intact, and lost everyone except The Professor, Marlena and Garrus. I was so mad when Grunt ate it. Dude was my boy.

Only got to screw Marlena, so I jumped online and watched the rest of the scenes. Not too shabby.

Good stuff. Looking forward to Mass Effect 3. Back to MW2.

Neverfade said:
I should have been more clear. I've found damage upgrades, but there must be actual rifle model upgrades as well, right?

I have no clue as I'm only like 6 hours in and so far and I've only found another assault rifle and pistol, and researched a missile launcher. Not sure as far as finding model upgrades, I assume there will be at some point?

FunkyMunkey said:
Can you romance more than one person during a single playthrough? Or just one?

Miranda is pissed at me right now so I went down below to see what Jack was cooking.
Romance = one.
Eff = more than one.

Example:
In my playthrough, I effed Jack and romanced Miranda.

I love Zaeed's face model. Looks so damn good:

20409k.jpg

Are those slightly blurry textures on his armor normal though? I have everything set to max, I didn't recall seeing any texture settings though.

goldenpp72 said:
Does anyone know how to get the achievement for doing 20 tech combonations? I don't know any.

Yeah. Take someone with pull and someone with slam.
When I did it, I had shepard learn slam from advanced training.
Then I got Jacob to go with me... during grunt's loyalty quest, I had jacob pull an enemy and I would immediately slam him with shepard. You could probably do something similar with Jack/Samara/Jacob. One of them has to have something that will hit someone while they're in the pull state.

Ducarmel

yeah there is two other sniper rifles and one dlc. To tell you the truth i did not realize when I got them. Because when I did get them the game automatically switched them out for the newer one. I do know i only got them during a mission.

MechaX

Phew. Just got down with a slew of events at Tuchanka.

Mordin's side-quest was awesome. The most intense moment was virtually arguing with him for three minutes over his rationalization of the genophage. In addition, I cannot even imagine what this place would be like if Wrex was dead. Making Grunt a part of clan Urdnot, let alone being headed by Wrex himself, was the most defining moment here.

MisterAnderson said:

Are those slightly blurry textures on his armor normal though? I have everything set to max, I didn't recall seeing any texture settings though.

Holy SHIT.

What kind of rig do you have (are they called rigs?)

I have just decided to make it my life's work to get one so I can play Mass Effect in such a startling fashion.

Swag

RubxQub said:
Actual Spoilers:
So in the end I kept the collector ship intact, and lost everyone except The Professor, Marlena and Garrus. I was so mad when Grunt ate it. Dude was my boy.

Only got to screw Marlena, so I jumped online and watched the rest of the scenes. Not too shabby.

Who the Feck is Marlena

Neverfade said:
I should have been more clear. I've found damage upgrades, but there must be actual rifle model upgrades as well, right?

No.

You are given or find all the weapons upgrades you can get as "loot"... except the hand cannon, Mordin gives you that.
You can choose one of three guns for a late upgrade too.

There's no "build a new gun" though -- only for the heavy weapons.
For normal weapons (smg, pistol, assault rifle, sniper, shotgun) you can find maybe one upgrade in the missions, then choose a 3rd upgrade later at a point in a certain mission. Any "upgrades" are all "more damage" or "larger clip" or "better against shields". or whatever.

Momar

aka Ryder
Reading the mass effect wiki right now after beating the game to see what I missed... jeezy creezy, so man fucking options.
You could kill Samara and replace her with Morinth? What the what?

Also, in regards to the ending:
I feel like I completely missed out. Everyone survived. The whole thing just went completely fine, and I feel like I couldn't tell how any of them could have possibly died. I still can't tell how Shephard could have possibly died. I had full loyalty + a decent number of upgrades. I hope some better explanations for how the final assault is determined crop up, because for now it just seems kind of arbitrary :/

Fucking AMAZING game though, 11 / 10 Miranda tits

JKTrix

Had a Japanophile moment. When you get to Citadel, there's a guy who owns a Japanese restaurant or something, and he pronounces "Irrashaimase" incorrectly. Kind of cute.

Weird thing is, I played a bit of No More Heroes 2 earlier today and another store owner said it wrong too. What are the odds.

Momar said:
Reading the mass effect wiki right now after beating the game to see what I missed... jeezy creezy, so man fucking options.
You could kill Samara and replace her with Morinth? What the what?

Also, in regards to the ending:
I feel like I completely missed out. Everyone survived. The whole thing just went completely fine, and I feel like I couldn't tell how any of them could have possibly died. I still can't tell how Shephard could have possibly died. I had full loyalty + a decent number of upgrades. I hope some better explanations for how the final assault is determined crop up, because for now it just seems kind of arbitrary :/

Fucking AMAZING game though, 11 / 10 Miranda tits

Reading this thread, it seems some people got their shit WRECKED and lost 90% of their crew.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Holy SHIT.

What kind of rig do you have (are they called rigs?)

I have just decided to make it my life's work to get one so I can play Mass Effect in such a startling fashion.

i7 920 (i5's came out now and are a lot cheaper and pretty much just as good)
ATI Radeon 4890
6GB DDR3 RAM

I run it in 1680 x 1080 with 8x AA and max settings and it runs 60 FPS. The picture makes it look a bit better than it actually is since it basically takes ALL the jaggies away in the JPEG compression, but that's pretty damn close to what it looks like.

SOLDIER

MisterAnderson said:

20409k.jpg

What program did you use to take screenshots? I've tried PrintScreen and a few others, but I keep getting all-black images. I thought the game had some sort of anti-screenshot thing, but I'm still seeing screenshots posted.

I like the Grunt model the best it's so amazing, I'm not sure why but it looks better than all the others by far. I wish Miranda looked like her self in ME Galaxy

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
QUESTION: Where/how do I found more parts for my armor? I'm sticking with the original set since I don't want Shepard to be helmeted, but I've only stumbled across a few parts without noticing how I did it.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
ElectricBlue187 said:
I like the Grunt model the best it's so amazing, I'm not sure why but it looks better than all the others by far. I wish Miranda looked like her self in ME Galaxy

It was like that for Wrex in ME1, his model was amazing compared to the others.

Snuggler said:
QUESTION: Where/how do I found more parts for my armor? I'm sticking with the original set since I don't want Shepard to be helmeted, but I've only stumbled across a few parts without noticing how I did it.

You buy most of them in shops, I believe.

Once you buy them, you can equip them at the armor machine in places like the Captain's Quarters on the Normandy. It's all mix and match... helmets, visors, nothing... you can change the chestplate, or boots, or shoulder guards and build your own. Each piece of equipment comes with a "bonus" of some sort, like 3% shield increase.

JKTrix

"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite store."

I've said that to two different vendors already.

Edit: Make that three.

Momar

aka Ryder
corrosivefrost said:
Reading this thread, it seems some people got their shit WRECKED and lost 90% of their crew.

God damnit, now I want to see a
bloodbath! Maybe my second playthrough will be quicker, I won't bother doing any of the loyalty stuff, they'll be sure to die! In retrospect, the whole thing felt very un-dramatic since everyone was OK. Since I didn't know anyone other than Shep could die (due to media blackout) -> everyone looked A-OK -> I didn't feel terribly threatened.

Darkman M said:
You can do them all in one playthrough from what ive read, i haven't crossed that road yet. Im taking my sweet time with this one.

corrosivefrost said:
Romance = one.
Eff = more than one.

Example:
In my playthrough, I effed Jack and romanced Miranda.

Ohhhh. What's the difference in the game?

Anyone get the Geth Pulse Rifle? I found a way to unlock it through an .ini file, but I'm not sure if it's actually attainable in the game. Maybe I just missed it.

Van Owen

Banned
Do dialog and cutscenes get capped at 30FPS for anyone else when forcing anti-aliasing? Sometimes they seemed to be capped without forcing it, and other times they seem to run at 60fps. It seems pretty random...

Ducarmel

For those that want to see people die,
in the planning part of the suicide mission try choosing distraction, or blow up the door, and maybe skimp out on upgrading.

Momar

aka Ryder
Ducarmel said:
For those that want to see people die,
in the planning part of the suicide mission try choosing distraction, or blow up the door, and maybe skimp out on upgrading.

I chose blow up the door, EDI just said "We don't have enough ordinance on this ship" and it the dialogue moved along. Man... trying to control the complexity of this storyline in my head has just ballooned after reading some of the stuff online. With ME1, I felt like I had room in my skull to contain most of the variation, but ME2 is too much, it's compounding.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Got my new HDMI cable, so I've finally connected my notebook to my 19" 1080p Vizio. This game looks ridiculously good, like every where I turn is worthy of a screenshot. It also reminds me of how sub-standard laptop LCDs are, in comparison with TVs/Monitors. The 1680x1050 LCD in my notebook gets pooped on by my TV's picture quality.

But does anyone else feel like the film grain is too fine, at high resolutions? While playing I can barely even tell it's there, and it only shows up in my screen captures.

My final verdict on Mass Effect 2 is that the gripping combat scenarios override any of the small gripes I could have with the changes.

I just got done getting Archangel. I'm so glad I didn't know anything about it ahead of time.

This game is just amazing.

Zeliard

Solo said:
Recruited Garrus and Zaeed now, and just finished up the Lorek mission. I kept the scandalous Cerberus info to myself.

Does this eventually have an impact? I kept it to myself as well. EDI said it would take "over a year" to decrypt, so I'm wondering what ultimately happens with that.

i love this damn game. played 16 hours and i got a long long way to go from where i'm at. also keep bumping into cute situations from people and things in ME1, like bumping into fist.

FunkyMunkey said:

One counts as a "relationship" and will be initiated when you kick through the omega 4 relay.
The others are just sex cutscenes and the achievement won't pop.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

you can get MAJOR SPOILERS disk 2

Morinth to join your team? My renegade was 4/5 bars and I couldn't do it. Ugh.

What.

Arde5643

corrosivefrost said:
One counts as a "relationship" and will be initiated when you kick through the omega 4 relay.
The others are just sex cutscenes and the achievement won't pop.
In other words, you can, if you wish to be, act like Commander "Kirk" Shepard.

soldat7

K.Jack said:
But does anyone else feel like the film grain is too fine, at high resolutions? While playing I can barely even tell it's there, and it only shows up in my screen captures.

I'd rather have a more pronounced film grain as well. Now why in the world do I need to re-choose my party all the time? I chose who I wanted when I left the Normandy dang it. I'm not digging the artificial partitioning of combat zones to non-combat zones. I should be able to pull my gun out anytime. In some ways this game feels more disjointed than either of the Fables (oh goody! a screen telling me that I finished a 'level.' Wow, look at how many kills I got!) Ugh.

AppleMIX

chaoticprout said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT

you can get MAJOR SPOILERS disk 2

Morinth to join your team? My renegade was 4/5 bars and I couldn't do it. Ugh.

What.

You have to have a full renegade/paragon bar. She has a awesome ability... dominate. It's like AI hacking but for humans.

MisterAnderson said:
i7 920 (i5's came out now and are a lot cheaper and pretty much just as good)
ATI Radeon 4890
6GB DDR3 RAM

I run it in 1680 x 1080 with 8x AA and max settings and it runs 60 FPS. The picture makes it look a bit better than it actually is since it basically takes ALL the jaggies away in the JPEG compression, but that's pretty damn close to what it looks like.

*writes all this down*

Thanks!

AppleMIX said:
You have to have a full renegade/paragon bar. She has a awesome ability... dominate. It's like AI hacking but for humans.

Well fuck.

If you have a full paragon bar does it give you renegade points for killing Samara?

Himuro said:
Did Jack's loyalty quest. Awesome!

All the loyalty quests are good

FunkyMunkey said:

There's only romancing. You can flirt with Kelly, and the fling with Jack is part of her dialogue progression, you don't really "earn" it. When it comes down to the actual romance, though, the characters will make you choose. Tali just told me she won't share me and asked me to go tell Miranda it's over. Tali was probably my favorite character from the first game, but Miranda's body... mmmm.

corrosivefrost said:
Yeah. Take someone with pull and someone with slam.
When I did it, I had shepard learn slam from advanced training.
Then I got Jacob to go with me... during grunt's loyalty quest, I had jacob pull an enemy and I would immediately slam him with shepard. You could probably do something similar with Jack/Samara/Jacob. One of them has to have something that will hit someone while they're in the pull state.

It's way easier just to use Warp on anyone affected by Pull or Singularity. No need for advanced training of loyalty contingent abilities.

The other achievements are much more annoying. Shepard doesn't have to cast Overload, Warp, or Incinerate himself, but it only counts when you activate it manually (which means you either have to hope your squad isn't on cooldown or turn off automatic powers) and more importantly, the Overload/Warp/Incinerate has to deal the finishing blow to the Shield/Barrier/Armor to count. It took me a while to notice that, so I didn't get the Warp or Overload achievements until 25 hours into the game. Hopefully there are enough armored enemies for me to Incinerate from now until the end because right now I only have 2/25 progress. The Brawler achievement is annoying, too. I'm halfway there, but it's hard to balance not running in too early and getting killed with waiting too long and your squad killing the last one or two enemies while you're charging in to melee and shoot. Hopefully these are cumulative over all playthroughs.

AppleMIX said:

Neither of my bars were full and I could do it. I didn't want to, though. I'll save that for my bizarro opposite decision for everything run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom