• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleMIX

chaoticprout said:
Well fuck.

If you have a full paragon bar does it give you renegade points for killing Samara?

I'm not a 100% sure, but more than likely

Neither of my bars were full and I could do it. I didn't want to, though. I'll save that for my bizarro opposite decision for everything run.

Really?! maybe I'm wrong.

Aedile

AppleMIX said:
You have to have a full renegade/paragon bar. She has a awesome ability... dominate. It's like AI hacking but for humans.

Doesn't have to be completely full. I did it without having filled any part of the last segment of the Renegade bar. 75% full? 80%?

Ricker

I hope that being level 5 is way too early to be doing the Archangel part?? because this shit is ridiculously hard right now on normal hehe...guess i`ll go do other stuff first and come back in a few levels(did the Mordin stuff).

AppleMIX said:
I'm not a 100% sure, but more than likely

Really?! maybe I'm wrong.

According to the Mass Effect Wiki, you can even romance her! But afterwards she kills you and it ends the game. :lol

Zeliard

Himuro said:
I'm using nhancer. I put it on the UE3 profile people are suggesting, and I'm not noticing any upgrade to the visuals? How do you activate it? Do you just go in nhancer, load the profile, and then open ME2 and it'll automatically load it? Or do you save the profile, activate it and load ME2? Because whatever I'm doing, it's still jaggy as fuck.

Because that's the wrong compatibility mode. You want to use 00000145 compatibility, not any of the UE3 variations.

The game is so goddamn fucking beautiful when you give it some AA.

So i've put about 3 hours into it today. Loving the game so far, it's a perfect follow-up story to the original ME. The characters are growing on me and i'm absorbing myself in the universe once again.

That said, i'm not liking the combat as much. I miss the more tactical combat of ME1. I don't care what anyone says, ME2 really does feel like a Gears 2 clone at times - a positive for most people, but a negative for me. I feel like the series has lost some of its identity now. You could say "it's identity was bad inventories and weak micromanagement?", but your words wouldn't faze me. All I know is I liked it better the old way. Fumbling through the mountain of loot and the poor excuse of a tactical interface had its charm. I fell in love with ME, flaws and all. I completely agree with whoever said "instead of refining the elements that needed fixing, they just ripped them out instead". It's a real shame, so much potential lost (although I don't go as far as seeing potential in elevator loading screens.. :D ).

Perhaps it's created a more streamlined experience - I don't quite know yet. I'll need to play it some more. But right now it feels like two steps forward and one step back, a better game overall but with its disappointments along the way.

Ricker said:
I hope that being level 5 is way too early to be doing the Archangel part?? because this shit is ridiculously hard right now on normal hehe...guess i`ll go do other stuff first and come back in a few levels(did the Mordin stuff).

I did it right after Mordin but I might have gone back up to the ship and cashed in a few upgrades.

Aedile said:
Doesn't have to be completely full. I did it without having filled any part of the last segment of the Renegade bar. 75% full? 80%?

Something around there. I think I was most of the way through the fourth bar of Paragon and passed the negotiation check. Actually the only time I couldn't pass a negotiation check was when I was
interrogating Elias for Thane's loyalty quest and thought that telling him to be the bad cop would make me the good cop. Instead, all the dialogue options were renegade only, so I had to beat the information out of him. I guess I overthought myself into that one.

Inferno313 said:
According to the Mass Effect Wiki, you can even romance her! But afterwards she kills you and it ends the game. :lol

But she told me that I may be able to survive! Whatever, I'm waiting for my female Shepard to actually keep her. I reloaded a save and stuck with Samara after I checked her out a bit. My romantic life is too complicated as it is.

kai3345

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
So i've put about 3 hours into it today. Loving the game so far, it's a perfect follow-up story to the original ME. The characters are growing on me and i'm absorbing myself in the universe once again.

That said, i'm not liking the combat as much. I miss the more tactical combat of ME1. I don't care what anyone says, ME2 really does feel like a Gears 2 clone at times - a positive for most people, but a negative for me. I feel like the series has lost some of its identity now. You could say "it's identity was bad inventories and weak micromanagement?", but your words wouldn't faze me. All I know is I liked it better the old way. Fumbling through the mountain of loot and the poor excuse of a tactical interface had its charm. I fell in love with ME, flaws and all. I completely agree with whoever said "instead of refining the elements that needed fixing, they just ripped them out instead". It's a real shame, so much potential lost (although I don't go as far as seeing potential in elevator loading screens.. :D ).

Perhaps it's created a more streamlined experience - I don't quite know yet. I'll need to play it some more. But right now it feels like two steps forward and one step back, a better game overall but with its disappointments along the way.
i thought this initially as well, but don't worry it gets better.

Ricker said:

I just did that part, and I'm pretty sure I was level 5 or 6 Soldier on Normal. Wasn't bad at all. Make sure you are using your partners wisely in both abilities, and positioning.

Also, make sure you are upgrading your weapons, armor, and skills.

Zeliard

Himuro said:
And changing this updates the graphics mid game? I'm still not seeing a difference.

Are you sure your profile properly links to the Mass Effect 2 .exe (and the launcher)?

Try to use a supersampling AA value as a test, instead of multisampling. If you jump in the game and it's basically slowed to a crawl, then you know it's working. If not, then something's up.

Ricker said:

Not the first time I've read someone struggling with it. I don't remember having any trouble with it on Veteran. The most difficult parts of the game seem to be two of the missions around the middle. All the recruiting/loyalty/side missions are pretty easy.

Zeliard

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Not the first time I've read someone struggling with it. I don't remember having any trouble with it on Veteran. The most difficult parts of the game seem to be two of the missions around the middle. All the recruiting/loyalty/side missions are pretty easy.

After I got Thane and Zaeer I had to boost the game from Veteran to Hardcore because they were owning the living fuck out of everything with their sniper rifles. :p

Two snipers on a team is very deadly, partly because they seem to always go for headshots, and they're pretty damn accurate as well. One time I watched a Krogan get hit by two sniper bullets to the head, within a split-second of each other, and the way his head and body reacted to those was one of the coolest things I've seen in a game.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
All the loyalty quests are good

There's only romancing. You can flirt with Kelly, and the fling with Jack is part of her dialogue progression, you don't really "earn" it. When it comes down to the actual romance, though, the characters will make you choose. Tali just told me she won't share me and asked me to go tell Miranda it's over. Tali was probably my favorite character from the first game, but Miranda's body... mmmm.

It's way easier just to use Warp on anyone affected by Pull or Singularity. No need for advanced training of loyalty contingent abilities.

The other achievements are much more annoying. Shepard doesn't have to cast Overload, Warp, or Incinerate himself, but it only counts when you activate it manually (which means you either have to hope your squad isn't on cooldown or turn off automatic powers) and more importantly, the Overload/Warp/Incinerate has to deal the finishing blow to the Shield/Barrier/Armor to count. It took me a while to notice that, so I didn't get the Warp or Overload achievements until 25 hours into the game. Hopefully there are enough armored enemies for me to Incinerate from now until the end because right now I only have 2/25 progress. The Brawler achievement is annoying, too. I'm halfway there, but it's hard to balance not running in too early and getting killed with waiting too long and your squad killing the last one or two enemies while you're charging in to melee and shoot. Hopefully these are cumulative over all playthroughs.

Neither of my bars were full and I could do it. I didn't want to, though. I'll save that for my bizarro opposite decision for everything run.

They're cumulative. You can die and respawn at the last autosave and anything you got toward the particular achievement will still count.

I didn't do the warp/barrier one until I was on horizon in new game +... then i just kept nailing collectors with it.

--

As far as the Samara choice on this page, I believe it's just a matter of what dialogue options you follow in the tree -- I received the offer, but didn't take it.

Captain Blood said:
I am sure it has been asked but are any of the loyalty quests specifically paragon/renegade or can they all be played either way?

Either way. With the way they run two separate bars this game, it seems that the bars mostly matter is "do I have the option for red or blue statements in a particular conversation" more than anything else.

ExtraKr1spy said:
For insanity playthroughs(hell maybe all) I'd recommend getting Mordin first. The lab is a huge help early on.

I didn't even think of trying to get someone NOT on omega first, since it kind of dumps you there when you get control of the normandy.

Second time through, I went for the prof first, because I knew his abilities would be more useful than Jacob when going to recruit Archangel.

Zeliard

Himuro said:
mass effect 2.exe, yeah. But you have to use the launcher?

Don't think it should, but try adding the launcher and see if it makes a difference. When you add a new profile, it asks for both the .exe and the launcher if it has one. Try adding both.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I'm probably going to start playing this tonight. What's the method for installing to 360? Do I just plop in one disk at a time and install each one? Do I have to switch?

I love how Bioware is letting us see more of the alien culture's in this game. It's kind of fascinating, this series has possibly the best world building of any game I've seen.

Getting to see the
Asari
culture in
Illium
, the
Krogan
culture in
Tuchanka
, and the
Quarian
culture in the
migrant fleet
is so much cooler to me than the locations we went to in ME1.

Zeliard

Oh Himuro, when you added the exe, did you browse to where the actual exe is, or did you manually type in "mass effect 2.exe"? Because the latter is incorrect. You have to tell it where the file is. It shouldn't ultimately have spaces. Should just be MassEffect2.exe.

That's probably your issue.

Inferno313 said:
I love how Bioware is letting us see more of the alien culture's in this game. It's kind of fascinating, this series has possibly the best world building of any game I've seen.

Getting to see the
Asari
culture in
Illium
, the
Krogan
culture in
Tuchanka
, and the
Quarian
culture in the
migrant fleet
is so much cooler to me than the locations we went to in ME1.
yea the mass effect world is by far one of the best scifi experiences i've had. i think i might even love it more than star wars.

Zeliard

Himuro said:
I see. I have it as mass effect 2.exe renamed because when you play it in steam it says MassEffect2 with no spaces. I'll give it a shot.

Just browse directly to where the executable is in your drive. It shouldn't even matter what it's actually called. But you want to tell it where the file is - that's what's critical. That's how nHancer knows to trigger the profile once you boot the game up.

About the Normandy:
What upgrades should I get for the Normandy? I already have the advanced armor and the Turian cannon. I'm still on the loyalty missions, but I'm assuming those upgrades are important.

Zeliard said:
After I got Thane and Zaeer I had to boost the game from Veteran to Hardcore because they were owning the living fuck out of everything with their sniper rifles. :p

I may do the same. The game gets way too easy once you learn how to use your powers, get new weapons, and buy upgrades. Krogans are turning into ash and I dont' even need to take cover or aim for the head. It's a joke.

ExtraKr1spy said:
For insanity playthroughs(hell maybe all) I'd recommend getting Mordin first. The lab is a huge help early on.

I think he's also the best early option against armored enemies. I struggled against a lot of mid-game armored enemies because the only weapon I could damage them with was the 24 shot capacity Hand Cannon. I barely survived
Horizon. I was out of medigel, both squad mates down, and JUST enough missiles to kill the last two Scions.

Also, biotic charge is a good way to get the brawler achievement. I just got like 8 during Grunt's loyalty quest doing charge/punch the ground/shoot on as many enemies as I could. Not everything gets knocked over that easily by punches, but the achievement only cares that they were on the ground and punched before getting shot to death.

Got to the second disc this evening. Today was my day off from work so I played a ton. Liking it so far. Actually doing a lot of side missions this time which I didn't really do in the original.

Rpgmonkey

I've been kinda obsessed with this game. Mostly because the side-content is more fun/interesting than ME1's, so it keeps me going. I find the new crew more interesting as well.

Almost done, but when I finish I think I'm going to replay ME1 so I can have my "perfect" file to work with before replaying ME2.

Final Mission questions:

How many variables actually matter for what happens? Loyalties/Decisions in the mission/Normandy Upgrades/Upgrades. Seems like there's so many ways and so many things that can be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom