• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cep said:
I used Samara(Area Reave) and Zaeed(Mordin with area incinerate works too). Plus I also had Area Reave.

This makes it a heluva lot easier. Grunt is easily one of the worst characters.

And the sensitivity is fucked-up on the PC too. Luckily enough, my mouse is shit, they balanced each other.

Honestly, I was using my party as distractions more than anything else. I wanted to play this like a shooter so I didn't micro at all (which is probably my fault, admittedly).
Grunt is basically the "Shale" of ME2 though - the best tank in the game.

Anyway, I just tried starting a new game and I'm sort of confused... it looks like the game just loads your save from after the game is complete (make sure you save or you'll lose your autosave). Does the game also generate a "character file" like the first game?

I was thinking that I'd be able to change my romance option after the fact without replaying the whole last sequence, but if there's already a character file with all my data, then it's sort of pointless.

Fake edit: still a pain in the ass that you can't skip the intro sequence. Who made that decision?

Morokh

Seriously i'm really beginning to think that Renegade characters will have it waaaay more easy in many situations that Paragon Shepards.

Some story spoilers :
Went to the second abducted colony, met Ashley, and she pisses me of because I work with Cerberus ... okay understandable but not even a way to explain the how's and why ..
I go for Zaeed's loyalty mission, replay it in every way possible, just to see what it can be like for every scenario, and the only way I can earn his trust fully is to let the workers die because I can't Paragon him at the end ....
Seriously Bioware, when the ship takes of i have a fucking ROCKET LAUNCHER ATTACHED to my back ...... what's the point of having supposedly paragon interrupts that look like renegade ones if something so obvious isn't even possible.

After that, I come back to the ship, Mordin wants to see me, talks about his loyalty mission.
Ok ... now I will have to go and piss Wrex of to retrieve some salarian scientist ..... and I feel the Paragon option block coming too ...

Please prove me wrong Gaf :(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, the
collector ship
was visually stunning

Jinjo

Finally got ym hands on the CE on thursday, started playing and hasn't let me go since. :D

About 13 hours in, so I have the first set of squadmates and so far only did Zaeed's loyalty mission. Pretty awesome stuff, but god the mining is boring as fuck. Even though I am swimming in resources atm. The N7 missions are so awesome compared to the sidequests from the first one.

My sentinel is also kicking ass on hardcore. My import was a soldier, but I just had to switch. Having 2 sentinels in your team just tears those enemy defenses apart. Do wish you had more different weapons though. Still rocking the SMG & pistol I got in the beginning of the game.

Dennis

Banned
painey said:
Thane was my favourite because;

1. His back story
2. His loyalty mission was different
3. His VA is superb
4. Graphically he looks amazing
Thane was indeed the best new character in ME2 for those bolded reasons.

The visual design of Thane is stunning.

Yeah, I watched the videos posted in the story discussion thread of someone playing the final mission on PC and I thought to myself, "THAT'S why everyone finished so much quicker than I did!" Well, one of the many reasons. It's not so bad during the rest of the game, but it's a serious handicap for that one fight.

DennisK4 said:
Thane was indeed the best new character in ME2 for those bolded reasons.

The visual design of Thane is stunning.

I appreciate Thane, but Mordin is my favorite newbie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Morokh said:
Seriously i'm really beginning to think that Renegade characters will have it waaaay more easy in many situations that Paragon Shepards.

Some story spoilers :
Went to the second abducted colony, met Ashley, and she pisses me of because I work with Cerberus ... okay understandable but not even a way to explain the how's and why ..
I go for Zaeed's loyalty mission, replay it in every way possible, just to see what it can be like for every scenario, and the only way I can earn his trust fully is to let the workers die because I can't Paragon him at the end ....
Seriously Bioware, when the ship takes of i have a fucking ROCKET LAUNCHER ATTACHED to my back ...... what's the point of having supposedly paragon interrupts that look like renegade ones if something so obvious isn't even possible.

After that, I come back to the ship, Mordin wants to see me, talks about his loyalty mission.
Ok ... now I will have to go and piss Wrex of to retrieve some salarian scientist ..... and I feel the Paragon option block coming too ...

For Zaeed, the only way to be paragon and gain his loyalty is to have high enough paragon points. It's the same with other conflicts. Although, strangely, the Mordin quest isn't one of them.

Jinjo

Morokh said:

Some story spoilers :

Gladly. Because
you can gain Zaeed's loyalty as a paragon while saving all the workers. If you have enough paragon points you can get his loyalty by selecting the charm option at the end of the mission when he is lying under the pillar.

Edit: Aaaaaaand beaten.

selig

Banned
question regarding the ship upgrades:

Can you enter the Omega-portal without upgrading the ship´s shield, cannon, and whatsoever? Just say yes or no. thx

firehawk12 said:
For Zaeed, the only way to be paragon and gain his loyalty is to have high enough paragon points. It's the same with other conflicts. Although, strangely, the Mordin quest isn't one of them.

I had no trouble with anything as a Paragon. I imported a max Paragon level 60 Shepard and my first 10 squad points went into giving me a 70% bonus to alignment points (didn't go for the full hundred because I wanted damage more). I didn't see a single set of grayed out words in the upper left the entire game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MegaKungFuRadio said:
I had no trouble with anything as a Paragon. I imported a max Paragon level 60 Shepard and my first 10 squad points went into giving me a 70% bonus to alignment points (didn't go for the full hundred because I wanted damage more). I didn't see a single set of grayed out words in the upper left the entire game.

I didn't either, but I read on gamefaqs that people were having problems with that one and with the
Miranda/Jack and Tali/Legion loyalty conflicts
. I have no idea what the numbers are because I went into them with max paragon (didn't want to chance it).

firehawk12 said:
I didn't either, but I read on gamefaqs that people were having problems with that one and with the
Miranda/Jack and Tali/Legion loyalty conflicts
. I have no idea what the numbers are because I went into them with max paragon (didn't want to chance it).

I wasn't even trying, it just worked out that way. I got the negotiation boosts first because I always go for passive bonuses before activated ones in RPGs. I got tons of Paragon points throughout the game because I always chose the Paragon option--though I'd still hit the Renegade interrupts for the lulz.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
EDIT. Fuck it, I just reloaded. I usually don't do that in RPGs but I just had to change that one little detail. Kelly Chambers is the one for my female Shepard. And no one else!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Himuro said:
Hacked the game for 9999999 resources.

Worth it? Yes. I dealt with going on monotonous worlds to get every mineral in the first game, Bioware. That stained the experience for me. But I will NOT stain this. Put the worst feature in the first game as a prominent feature in the sequel is stupid.

Fuck it, I'm cheating.
Instructions please.

Darklord

Banned
Anyone else really disappointing with Jack? I've had for for a few hours and any conversation I've had really makes her seem a bit plain. I was expecting her to be a lot more angry and mentally unstable but she acts more like a girl with an attitude.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Darklord said:
Anyone else really disappointing with Jack? I've had for for a few hours and any conversation I've had really makes her seem a bit plain. I was expecting her to be a lot more angry and mentally unstable but she acts more like a girl with an attitude.

Blame that on the advertisement I suppose, she's not as "bad ass" as the trailer implies, especially if you go through with her personal quest in a paragon manner.

Solo

Thank fuck for the medical bay upgrade. I play as hard of a renegade as humanly possible, and wouldnt have it any other way, but I hate the neon spunk Ive got all over my face. Now with the upgrade, goodbye!

Darklord

Banned
chandoog said:
Blame that on the advertisement I suppose, she's not as "bad ass" as the trailer implies, especially if you go through with her personal quest in a paragon manner.
It's not just the ads. I mean she's in a super max prison ship, frozen and chained up in a metal tube bolted into the floor, tats over her whole body, goes nuts as soon as she breaks out of her restraints. She sounds like Riddick, even called Jack(and I bet that isn't a coincidence). Everything about her up until the point of actually talking to her showed her off to be a brutal angry person.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MegaKungFuRadio said:
I wasn't even trying, it just worked out that way. I got the negotiation boosts first because I always go for passive bonuses before activated ones in RPGs. I got tons of Paragon points throughout the game because I always chose the Paragon option--though I'd still hit the Renegade interrupts for the lulz.

I could see it being a problem if you do those missions early on. I was just going for the "perfect run" so I went out of my way to avoid any surprises.

Darklord said:
It's not just the ads. I mean she's in a super max prison ship, frozen and chained up in a metal tube bolted into the floor, tats over her whole body, goes nuts as soon as she breaks out of her restraints. She sounds like Riddick, even called Jack(and I bet that isn't a coincidence). Everything about her up until the point of actually talking to her showed her off to be a brutal angry person.

Not to bring up a meme, but it really felt like Jack was created for all the "white knights" out there. Basically the generic damaged woman who needs a man to save her and sex her up.

Solo said:
Thank fuck for the medical bay upgrade. I play as hard of a renegade as humanly possible, and wouldnt have it any other way, but I hate the neon spunk Ive got all over my face. Now with the upgrade, goodbye!

Not going to lie, I enjoyed my stint through the galaxy as a lesbian terminator, red eyes and all.
Also, isn't that "upgrade" like 50k in Platinum? no thanks :D

Man, some of the Renegade cut-scene options are brutal. One of the recent ones for me is when Shepard takes the
welding baton
to
Cathka's back
. This happens during the Archangel recruiting mission.

Also, I made the
Batarian bartender drink that shit he gave me. Fucker deserved it.

Omega is such a cool place. Reminds me of Blade Runner or Snatcher a lot. Speaking of which, it would rock to get a Snatcher remake like Mass Effect 2, but I hope Hideo Kojima never takes the opportunity, because it seems everything you can consider golden by him gets shittied up these days.

Arjen

Man, some of the Renegade cut-scene options are brutal. One of the recent ones for me is when Shepard takes the
welding baton
to
Cathka's back
. This happens during the Archangel recruiting mission.

Also, I made the
Batarian bartender drink that shit he gave me. Fucker deserved it.

Yeah they are awesome, i love playing as a Renegade Femshep :D

IoCaster

Solo said:

Yeah my renegade Shep is hideous.:lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
It's amazing that after all this time people still don't realize that you should always always play evil in Bioware RPG's. It's by far the more entertaining and fleshed out option in every game.

MMaRsu

Sinatar said:
It's amazing that after all this time people still don't realize that you should always always play evil in Bioware RPG's. It's by far the more entertaining and fleshed out option in every game.

Yup.. renegade is the only way to go man!

Goddamnit, I need maxed paragon for something and I just realized my fucking paragon meter is draining.

It's after I used the IFF and the collector ship abducted all the crew. I'm assuming it's depleting because I didn't rush off immediately to the endgame?

If that's the case then that's the biggest douchebag move ever.

Two minor questions:

1. Did I piss off Mordin?
Told him the Genophage was a mistake, he told me not to bring him along then if I didn't like his decision, and he hasn't talked to me for for a bit (nothing too long, just getting nervous).

2. And secondly, Incendiary or Cryo? Incendiary seems more useful based off of the description and I was wondering what GAF felt on this. Should I stick to one or the other? Both? Is one better on a certain difficulty?

Loving this game so much. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
TenshiOni said:
Two minor questions:

Told him the Genophage was a mistake, he told me not to bring him along then if I didn't like his decision, and he hasn't talked to me for for a bit (nothing too long, just getting nervous).

2. And secondly, Incendiary or Cryo? Incendiary seems more useful based off of the description and I was wondering what GAF felt on this. Should I stick to one or the other? Both? Is one better on a certain difficulty?

Nope.

Incendiary, definitely.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
TenshiOni said:
Two minor questions:

Incendiary, I use that the most. Yes I love this game so much as well.

barnone

I don't really understand the fuel system when traveling around space in your ship. Granted I am pretty early in the game still, but is it just to provide an unlimited drain on credits? It's preventing me from exploring the galaxy because I want to keep these credits for buying armor and weapons and what-have-the-merchant. Probes are cheap enough though.

Coxswain

Sinatar said:
Pssh, the only real way to roll in a Mass Effect game is to play a hero who just doesn't put up with any bullshit:
jeanne2.jpg

painey

barnone said:
I don't really understand the fuel system when traveling around space in your ship. Granted I am pretty early in the game still, but is it just to provide an unlimited drain on credits? It's preventing me from exploring the galaxy because I want to keep these credits for buying armor and weapons and what-have-the-merchant. Probes are cheap enough though.

really its pretty stupid, I think they just put it on to stop credits being totally redundant.. I still finished with over 200,000 credits and all planets 100%.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Coxswain said:
Pssh, the only real way to roll in a Mass Effect game is to play a hero who just doesn't put up with any bullshit:
jeanne2.jpg

I'm not that far in the game and have more paragon than renegade, but I'm sitll pretty similar here. I don't specifically aim for a specific one in ME, I just go with what I feel. I do renegade interrupts when I feel like I should and don't just stick to always picking the top choices.

Ironborn

Banned
holy shit mass effect 2 is AWESOME! it's like they heard all my criticism of the first game and listened to it :D
the shooting system is so damn fine, at first i almost thought i was playing gears 3 :lol
even if this was just a 3rd person shooter without rpg elements, it'd still be an excellent game
the weapon feedback is great, the weapons feel like they pack a punch and the biotics now kick ass too
also, miranda's ass ist sooooo good, i can't stop staring at it (where's *dat mass.jpg* when you need it? :lol )
can't wait till the finals are over and i can play some more....wow, this might well be my GOTY, i can't imagine god of war 3 or halo:reach topping this, and nothing else will even come close

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Coxswain said:
jeanne2.jpg

Hah, I'm surprised you can get both bars up that high in the same playthrough.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Does Shepard still hold rank as a Commander in the Alliance or shouldn't she be a Captain now serving in Cerberus

zombieshavebrains said:
They have a scotsman in engineering?

Yes, he is way better than Engineer Adams.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One thing I'm disappointed with so far is BioWare's handling of the romances. I dont know how it is for the male, but for the fem Shepard everything comes off really slutty.

Its good to have diversity in romance options, not just characters but also how you approach them, whether it being a casual fuck or something more 'romantic' and long term, but all three of the female's choices seem really, really easy to sway.

The actual dialogue to say you're interested always comes across as "I really want to have sex with you, now", and you can say it really early after learning about the characters. Then the rest of the 'growth' of the relationship before the sex is just teasing.

Liara was a bit of a bore, but it was handled much better than it has been here, thanks to the progressive dialogue that took awhile to climax (lolol), but mostly because you could choose how you wanted to talk; you could be slutty, sexually aggressive, or slow and easy.

It sounds geeky to ask for these kinds of things in a game, but it comes across as pretty cheap feeling. There's no option to go slow and easy. There's no option to build relationships with any of the crew. Sucks.

mileS

Glad I stuck it out with the Vanguard. I just went through a couple of missions where everything was starting to click and my god is it fun.

I had 2 droid dudes with no shields behind cover so I curved Pull to get one out, his buddy jumped out of cover to shoot me but I ended up charging the pulled droid still floating smashing him downwards right into him. Both of them explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom