• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from pre-ordering at gamestop. They said they only had 7 pre-order codes left available, looks like this game is going to be a pretty big hit. Apparently though you have to go on some sort of side quest to get the pre-order bonus weapon and armor? That's kinda cool actually, instead of it just magically appearing in your inventory.

Zeliard

Also, just to note one other thing about the dialogue options and the Paragon/Renegade system, you're now a lot more free to pursue both if you wish (without having to waste talent points). You can essentially build up both your Paragon and Renegade meters, and it can be intentional, or it can be natural.

I frequently pick the evil choices in these games as I find them far more entertaining, but while my Renegade meter is higher right now, my Paragon meter has also had a surprisingly decent amount of points pumped into it. Many of the choices are still black-and-white, but there is some more variety there in general and occasionally you'll be getting Paragon or Renegade points and wonder what exactly led to that.

I've also chosen the "good" option at times when it comes to minor characters because their plight came across effectively, which is very rare for me (I do pick good options in these games, but mostly for major characters I like or certain plot-points I wish to pursue). That wasn't the case for me in the first ME.

I just wish the male Shepard actor could put some more emotion in his voice. It would lend some of the scenes, especially when he gets angry, a lot more power. It's actually very amusing sometimes. I'll pick the red Renegade option, and he'll deliver some otherwise hard-boiled line in mostly monotone, and then some really tough-looking Krogan will be like "man, I didn't know humans could be so forceful", with no irony whatsoever.

I never did play as the female Shepard. Might have to try her out next time around.

RS4-

Zeliard said:
Do the other
alien weapons have some sort of block like that one has? It mentions that the reason humans can't use the Krogan shotgun is because the kickback is so powerful it would break their arms. It would likewise break the game's internal logic if a human could suddenly use it.
Is it a similar sort of thing for the other weapons humans can't use?
Can't multiquote on phone lol but yeah DA, that shotgun.

I'm not sure about the other guns and how it relates to using them yourself. Besides the shotgun which I picked, I found another
Sniper rifle for Legion
. So yeah, I don't know how or if they work for te enduser and if there's any benefits and drawbacks.

Dan Yo

Banned
Zeliard said:
You can only equip that weapon on
a Krogan
. The in-game reasoning is
that its kickback is so powerful that it'll break a human's arms, and presumably any other species outside of a Krogan.
Then which other weapon could a soldier learn at this part of the game?

Ceebs

Managed to secure a copy of the game last night thanks to a retail buddy that owed me a favor :D

Have been hooked since I started. The game fixes almost every annoyance I had with the original. The only negative I can say about the game involves the planet scanning. It's super tedious, especially if you are looking for a certain mineral. The concept is not bad, but it could have used less nodes per planet. Some of them I have planted upwards of 20 probes in.

Dennis

Banned
Alec said:
Mass Effect 2 is to Mass Effect how Assassin's Creed 2 is to Assassin's Creed.
:lol

No, I am sorry but that is rediculous hyperbole. ME2 improves on ME in some aspects (e.g. combat) but is also less than ME in other aspects (e.g. RPG and exploration).
AC2 is a massive improvement on AC in all aspects.

Dan Yo

Banned
Zeliard said:
Also, just to note one other thing about the dialogue options and the Paragon/Renegade system, you're now a lot more free to pursue both if you wish (without having to waste talent points). You can essentially build up both your Paragon and Renegade meters, and it can be intentional, or it can be natural.

I frequently pick the evil choices in these games as I find them far more entertaining, but while my Renegade meter is higher right now, my Paragon meter has also had a surprisingly decent amount of points pumped into it. Many of the choices are still black-and-white, but there is some more variety there in general and occasionally you'll be getting Paragon or Renegade points and wonder what exactly led to that.

I've also chosen the "good" option at times when it comes to minor characters because their plight came across effectively, which is very rare for me (I do pick good options in these games, but mostly for major characters I like or certain plot-points I wish to pursue). That wasn't the case for me in the first ME.

I just wish the male Shepard actor could put some more emotion in his voice. It would lend some of the scenes, especially when he gets angry, a lot more power. It's actually very amusing sometimes. I'll pick the red Renegade option, and he'll deliver some otherwise hard-boiled line in mostly monotone, and then some really tough-looking Krogan will be like "man, I didn't know humans could be so forceful", with no irony whatsoever.

I never did play as the female Shepard. Might have to try her out next time around.
I'll re-post what I posted in the Mass Effect hype thread regarding dialogue options and alignment meters.

I'm happy to see charm/intimidate skills are now gone as they were a waste of valuable talent points, but I was hoping to see the paragon/renegade meter disappear as well. I was ready to make my own decisions in a Bioware game without a meter telling me whether what I did was morally right or wrong, nor dictating whether I can charm or intimidate someone.

I was kind of hoping this game would go a step beyond KOTOR light side/dark side decision-making and just allow the player to choose the response and action that best suits him or her, rather than be sort of prodded towards either the good guy or bad guy route.

Only then will players really feel more like Jack Bauer and less like a jedi out of Star Wars. Choose top answer to do the right thing and choose the bottom answer to the morally wrong thing (we've already decided what's right or wrong for you) felt slightly counterintuitive to that.

2lmx995.jpg

Alec

DennisK4 said:

No, I am sorry but that is rediculous hyperbole. ME2 improves on ME in some aspects (e.g. combat) but is also less than ME in other aspects (e.g. RPG and exploration).

I respect your opinion. :D However, I certainly didn't expect someone who thinks so differently of the game than I do to agree.

Dan Yo said:
Probably just means that Like AC, ME was not all it promised to be, and both sequels change that.

I don't agree with that. Mass Effect was a much, much better game then Assassins Creed 1 was and Assassins Creed 2 again didn't live up to the hype to me. It was easy, still repetive, combat system was boring, AI awful, story unclear (to me) and the pace of the game was interrupted on many occasions. Following somebody was just plain boring and who has fun in searching all the feathers? Also there were few occasions that you actually have to think of a strategy to assassinate somebody, usually you can just hit & run . Having played Batman I cannot believe that people actually chose Assassins Creed 2 as GOTY. Mass Effect 2 seems to me as a much better game since they improved much at what was already a great game.

dejan said:
Mass Effect never was and never will be Dragon Age in space. And as much as I love Dragon Age I'm totally fine with the direction BioWare chose for the series.

I am just happy it is different than ME1. While ME1 (now my 2nd favorite game of this gen) was awesome, I welcome that they decided to switch it up. I hope ME3 also does some things differently. Keeps it fresh, innit.

Dan Yo

Banned
DennisK4 said:

Have you played the game? How do you know that the downplay of certain RPG elements is not an improvement?

Zeliard

Dan Yo said:
I'll re-post what I posted in the Mass Effect hype thread regarding dialogue options and alignment meters.

I'm happy to see charm/intimidate skills are now gone as they were a waste of valuable talent points, but I was hoping to see the paragon/renegade meter disappear as well. I was ready to make my own decisions in a Bioware game without a meter telling me whether what I did was morally right or wrong, nor dictating whether I can charm or intimidate someone.

I was kind of hoping this game would go a step beyond KOTOR light side/dark side decision-making and just allow the player to choose the response and action that best suits him or her, rather than be sort of prodded towards either the good guy or bad guy route.

Only then will players really feel more like Jack Bauer and less like a jedi out of Star Wars. Choose top answer to do the right thing and choose the bottom answer to the morally wrong thing (we've already decided what's right or wrong for you) felt slightly counterintuitive to that.

Yeah, there isn't really an actual need for the meter that I can personally think of. I guess it makes it so that players can tell how good or evil they've been so far, but I don't think that was necessary, and would have probably been better hidden away like in Dragon Age. Plus, there's already another way to tell how "evil" you're getting that some may know about, but I don't want to spoil.

However, keeping the structure of the dialogue wheel consistent is something I can perfectly understand. Also, outside of the actual Renegade and Paragon options (which show up on the top and bottom of the left side of the wheel and are colored), the normal conversation options aren't really telegraphed to that degree. Frequently there will be no major difference in the tone between the top option and the bottom option, on the right side of the wheel.

Dax01 said:
You should've went with female Shepard the first time. Female Shepard>>>>>Male Shepard. :p

That's what everyone keeps saying, but I'm stubborn. :p

selig

Banned
Dax01 said:
You should've went with female Shepard the first time. Female Shepard>>>>>Male Shepard. :p

well, i find it a bit creepy to play a female shepard as a guy. In my 11 runs of ME1, one of them was as female Shepard. Well, it was nice being able to watch at her ass for the entire game, i guess.

Btw., regarding that DLC-crew member...will he have the same complexity of the regular members?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, I just have two questions:

1) Is there even a chance that ME2's ending sequence is a fraction as good as ME1's?

2) Since there's no Faunts song in ME2, is the ending music at least high energy and spacey like M4 Part II?

Swag

Dax01 said:

So true, I tried playing the game as male shepherd after playing female for 4 playthroughs and I couldn't make it past Feros :lol, the VA just wasn't clicking with me.

Seriously, this is a game I'm the most excited for. Give my fucking space opera.

Regarding codex entries, are primary and secondary entries voiced now? I enjoyed that in ME1. But only primary entries were voiced.

PjotrStroganov said:
Have fun sexing up males in ME2 then:lol

I will. Doesn't seem awkward to me, but I guess I'm not one of those people that project themselves onto or into their in-game characters. Besides i'd rather stare at a hot chics tits and ass for 40-50 hours rather than some dude.

Zeliard

MirageDwarf said:
Seriously, this is a game I'm the most excited for. Give my fucking space opera.

Regarding codex entries, are primary and secondary entries voiced now? I enjoyed that in ME1. But only primary entries were voiced.

Only primary ones are voiced. Shame, because that dude has a pretty awesome voice. They did add more primary entries. The ones from Mass Effect 1 also return and are identical.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I will. Doesn't seem awkward to me, but I guess I'm not one of those people that project themselves onto or into their in-game characters. Besides i'd rather stare at a hot chics tits and ass for 40-50 hours rather than some dude.

Does female Shepard in ME2 have an ass like Miranda does?

Because jesus. They were not subtle at all there. :lol Her tights practically run up her asscrack.

Wait they've removed the inventory and loot system? Thank God! That was my biggest complaint from ME1. For one the loot was broken in ME1. I literally spent nothing in shops because all my loot came from gear. At the same time I had become a near billionaire by the end of the game because 90 percent of the loot got sold or turned into omni-gel because of the limited inventory.

I actually really relieved. I'm currently finishing up Dragon Age and by god there is so much useless loot in that game. I've actually spent hours cleaning out my inventory because every dungeon in that game has something like 60-90 pieces of random loot, ten percent of which is actually useful.

Dan Yo

Banned
Zeliard said:
Yeah, there isn't really an actual need for the meter that I can personally think of. I guess it makes it so that players can tell how good or evil they've been so far, but I don't think that was necessary, and would have probably been better hidden away like in Dragon Age. Plus, there's already another way to tell how "evil" you're getting that some may know about, but I don't want to spoil.

However, keeping the structure of the dialogue wheel consistent is something I can perfectly understand. Also, outside of the actual Renegade and Paragon options (which show up on the top and bottom of the left side of the wheel and are colored), the normal conversation options aren't really telegraphed to that degree. Frequently there will be no major difference in the tone between the top option and the bottom option, on the right side of the wheel.
When I posted that, someone mentioned that they were excited for Alpha Protocol for those exact reasons. I don't recall reading that Alpha Protocol plays out as I described, but if it does, my interest in that game has increased immensely.

I'm level 49 at the end of my Mass Effect 1 playthrough. I'm trying to get to level 50, should I just go back to the save before ILOS and do the other side missions and then play the ending again, or should I just go through the entire main quest as a second playthrough?

What would GAF do?

Zeliard said:
Only primary ones are voiced. Shame, because that dude has a pretty awesome voice. They did add more primary entries. The ones from Mass Effect 1 also return and are identical.

Oh! Little bit disappointing. I blame 360's DVD drive.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Does the Codex narrator return?

His voice lent a 1970s documentary vibe to the Codex. Cheesy but relaxing, reminded me of the narrator from the Mysterious Cities of Gold cartoon. Please tell me he's still in..

I'd like to know this as well. I hate to keep talking about Dragon Age but I stopped reading the codex about halfway in because every three seconds there was a new codex entry and I didn't feel like pausing the game to read every minute or so.

RS4-

Zeliard said:
Does female Shepard in ME2 have an ass like Miranda does?

Because jesus. They were not subtle at all there. :lol Her tights practically run up her asscrack.
Leather :D

Zeliard

Y2Kev said:
Parish said Miranda has buck teeth or something. True?

Miranda looks surprisingly okay in-game. I watch Chuck sometimes, and a lot of time while playing, I was like "yep, that's Yvonne Strahovski right there."

Jacob has the most hilariously modeled teeth you will ever see in a game.

I'm with you all. I'll be keeping true to my female Shephard too.;)

I'd like to think of her as some tough Jody Foster type woman with an actual ass. It's hard to even imagine Shephard being some generic dude.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
sweetvar26 said:
I'm level 49 at the end of my Mass Effect 1 playthrough. I'm trying to get to level 50, should I just go back to the save before ILOS and do the other side missions and then play the ending again, or should I just go through the entire main quest as a second playthrough?

What would GAF do?

Being at 50 would grant you a higher level of bonus stats/credits/minerals when you start ME2, but if you're already at 49, there can't be THAT many quest left.

If you kill everything outside the mako including at Ilos, you should be able to make 50, I think.

It depends on how many quests/planets you have left to explore, and whether or not you feel the bonuses are worth it.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
sweetvar26 said:

What would GAF do?

Go back and do quests, over 100 decisions made in the game carry over into ME2. A lot of people talk about going and doing a speed second run to get to 50 or 60 and thats just a waste. Id say go back and do as many, if not all, of the sidequests you can and then rebeat the game. Youll just be shortchanging yourself by doing a newgame plus where you only have main campaign decisions carry over into ME2.

Ephemeris

Enduin said:
Go back and do quests, over 100 decisions made in the game carry over into ME2. A lot of people talk about going and doing a speed second run to get to 50 or 60 and thats just a waste. Id say go back and do as many, if not all, of the sidequests you can and then rebeat the game. Youll just be shortchanging yourself by doing a newgame plus where you only have main campaign decisions carry over into ME2.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
fna84 said:
I have a level 37 adept in Mass Effect 1, is it worth leveling him until 60 for the ME2 transfer bonus?

The difference between the lvl 50 bonus and the lvl 60 bonus isnt much, theyre posted in the OP for reference. If you can go back in your current save and do a bunch of sidequests Id say go for it, cause like I just told sweetvar26 its a waste to start a second run of the game if you are just going to power through the main quest only just to get a small lvl bonus in the next game because youll be missing out on all the decisions you make in sidequests that carry over into ME2 and the game your own.

Dan Yo said:
When I posted that, someone mentioned that they were excited for Alpha Protocol for those exact reasons. I don't recall reading that Alpha Protocol plays out as I described, but if it does, my interest in that game has increased immensely.

That was me; and, yes, apparently Alpha Protocol's dialogue-choice system isn't based on simple shades of morality; it's based more on the way you want your character to be presented, and how you play the game. Here's a quote by Chris Avellone from this Destructoid interview:

The player has a series of stances, actions, skills, dossiers they can take into any conversation or mission, and all of these will have an effect on a mission or an individual the player meets. Chances are, other individuals may hear about Michael Thorton and his "attitude" in advance, his background, or his skill progression. They'll also hear about what stances the player chooses throughout the game (suave James Bond style, more aggressive Jack Bauer, or a cool professional like Bourne), or even the tendency to act rather than talk (shooting a suspect in the knee to get a confession, or pulling out a dossier fact to blackmail or coerce someone): all of these cause repercussions and also can grant the player perks. If a player mixes and matches these stances, or favors a certain stance, we allow the player to communicate their motivation both at the start and end of the game to see if what they initially believed themselves to be is who they ended up being at the end of their mission.

Here's another quote from the same interview that excites me:

The route through dialogs is different -- there's little to no loops in conversations in the game (much like the real world), and there is a timer present in the conversations to add urgency and immersion in what's taking place -- we felt that this complemented the espionage genre.

No loops! One chance to get the conversation right! Huzzah!

Anyway, back to ME2. I finished my third play of ME1 today - getting Neko, my femshep, up to level 60, doing all the missions and doing them the way I wanted. I'm super excited about taking her forward; I really feel like she's my character. I tried a John run, but genuinely didn't come close to enjoying the performance of the character as much, so abandoned it. I imagine I'll do one in ME2 at some point. (My wife did a John run as her first, incidentally, and has just started a femshep; she FAR prefers the lady Shep as well.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Solo said:
Watch Chuck. Yvonne Strahovski does have buck teeth. Doesnt stop her from being hot as fuck.

Her jaw also looks like she has a slight underbite, but like most attractive women its the quirks that make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom