• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cep

Banned
mYm|17| said:
Insanity with Vanguard :lol

I hope you ignore charge completely as it is a useless skill in that level.

Also, I suggest you get the sniper Rifle as your extra main weapon, SMG is close enough to the AR, but the Viper is a BEAST.

Samara With Area Reave + You with Area Reave + Thane should make this mission a Joke

OMG Aero

Without spoiling anything for me, will I clearly know when I get the option to do this IFF thing people are talking about?
I'm still only at the start of the game, but I want to get as much as I can done before the point of no return or at least have a separate save before it so I can go back.

Himuro said:
Scanning is not better.

In ME1 it's not a main feature. In ME2, you have to scan to get the best ending.
I haven't beaten the game yet, but I can see where you're getting - as it seems that you HAVE to
upgrade the Normandy to its fullest in order to survive the upcoming suicide mission

In ME1 I aimed for 100% completion in every playthrough. I think that, if ME2's scanning method was applied to ME1, the experience would have improved a great deal. I hope they keep this type of scanning for ME3.

HK-47 said:
Narayan, get out the carnival of stupid! GET OUT!

It is so tedious.
More tedious than driving the fucking shitty ass Mako around on barren environments? More shitty than having to walk up to the mineral to SCAN IT? Fuck no. I will take ME2's method in a heartbeat. As far as ME2 goes, ME1 is a piece of shit.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Man. Scanning is SO much better in this game. I don't know why anyone is complaining about it when we had to put up with that bullshit in ME1.

Wat.

I wouldn't mind scanning if the upgraded speed was as fast as the normal cursor, but as it is, it's far too tedious.

Although I hear it's faster on PC, which is annoying for us 360 people.

Insanity with Vanguard

....ouch.

I hear infiltrator or Sentinel are the best for insanity.

Is it possible to

Without spoiling anything for me, will I clearly know when I get the option to do this IFF thing people are talking about?

I've read that you can only do
one loyalty quest before the crew starts dying. So you'd have to choose Legion or Tali's. Unconfirmed, though, I didn't want to risk it on my playthrough.

Yes.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I haven't beaten the game yet, but I can see where you're getting - as it seems that you HAVE to
upgrade the Normandy to its fullest in order to survive the upcoming suicide mission

In ME1 I aimed for 100% completion in every playthrough. I think that, if ME2's scanning method was applied to ME1, the experience would have improved a great deal. I hope they keep this type of scanning for ME3.
OR I hope they come up with a scanning method that's actually fun!

LiK

OMG Aero said:
I'm still only at the start of the game, but I want to get as much as I can done before the point of no return or at least have a separate save before it so I can go back.

just make a separate save before you do it. i don't see what everyone is so worried about.

Himuro said:
Balls of steel dude. BALLS OF STEEL.

its pretty awesome on insanity.

gotta be a lot more tactical with the ammo type and while its hard in the early I'm about a few loyalty quests into disc 2 and with the upgrades I've gotten its a lot easier. I can still my ass handed to me if i'm not careful though.

Cetra

Zzoram said:
Female Shephard has always had a great voice but a mediocre face. Too bad, they should seriously upgrade her in ME3 because she's the superior character.

I agree completely. I started the first one as a FemShep. Finished ME2 as a FemShep, then started a Renegade playthrough as DudeShep. I never finished that one, the male version's voice actor just falls so flat. FemShep's is vastly superior.

As far as the IFF.

I did the IFF earlier and then went around and did a lot of the loyality quests. I lost the Team, but I'm ok with that. I got to spend more time with Legion. I still got the Achivement for saving everyone (I guess it only counts party members). And, every story needs a little tragedy :lol.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
HK-47 said:
How hard is it to the amount of resources needed to get everything ready for the best ending?
It's not. I did minimal scanning. I did have to grind for 50,000 iridium towards the end of the game. That was miserable. But it only took about a half hour.

LiK

tehWillis said:
I agree completely. I started the first one as a FemShep. Finished ME2 as a FemShep, then started a Renegade playthrough as DudeShep. I never finished that one, the male version's voice actor just falls so flat. FemShep's is vastly superior.

yup, i mentioned this already. Jennifer Hale rocks and is the key reason why i play as FemShep. so much better.

Himuro said:
There was something like 50,000 platinum required to get the best armor and shit.

I had like 5000 platinum. Scanned a planet, and said fuck it.

don't need the best to finish the game.

Metroidvania said:
Wat.

I wouldn't mind scanning if the upgraded speed was as fast as the normal cursor, but as it is, it's far too tedious.

Although I hear it's faster on PC, which is annoying for us 360 people.
Yeah. I'm playing it on the PC. I'm using a mouse that allows you to toggle the sensitivity on the fly. I can understand the dislike for scanning on the console version. I imagine the process is really slow.

Y2Kev said:
OR I hope they come up with a scanning method that's actually fun!
I don't mind this method at all, but if they can keep it and somehow make it less cumbersome for others - then I'm totally down for that. I just hope they don't revert to ME1's bullshit. Fuck that noise.

Metroidvania

HK-47 said:
How hard is it to the amount of resources needed to get everything ready for the best ending?

Honestly, to just get all the necessary upgrades is probably only like 50k of each, can't remember exactly which upgrades cost what.

But that's not counting doing any weapon/armor upgrades.

Cep

Banned
Himuro said:
There was something like 50,000 platinum required to get the best armor and shit.

I had like 5000 platinum. Scanned a planet, and said fuck it.

Same here, I set my .ini file so that each new character starts with 10,000,000 of each resource

Cep

Banned
LiK said:
you PC cheaters! :lol

wish my rig could handle ME2 so i could mess around with the settings too.

It is the only reason why I like the scanning more than the mako, I can easily game the newer system, the mako was unavoidable.

The Pylos Nebula has tons of rare minerals, especially Iridium which is in abundance. I had used 90 probes and depleted countless planets.

That Volus on Illium outside the
Eclipse Merc's Factory who thinks hes the greatest biotic
was hilarious

"When I was mortal..."
:lol

LiK

TheFreshPrince said:
Glitch in the game? I'm not required to take Mordin on Mordin's loyalty mission....huh????

they require you once the mission is about to begin. not when you simply go on the planet where the mission is held.

TheFreshPrince said:
Glitch in the game? I'm not required to take Mordin on Mordin's loyalty mission....huh????

Doesn't begin there yet. When you have to go to the area where the mission takes place you'll have to take him.

beaten.

Also talk to him after you complete his mission :D Broadway Mordin.

MrDaravon

Jesus fuck at the planet mining; what the hell were they thinking? Yeah, the Mako was more or less shit, but at least you were actively DOING something. Even with the scanner upgrade scanning planets is the most boring shit I have done in a videogame in a long ass time. On two separate occasions I have literally almost fallen asleep doing it, something I have probably not done since I was 10 years old. Could I at least NOT have to hold the fucking left trigger, or something? Fuck.

This goes back to my main issue with the game; Bioware couldn't seem how to fix a lot of shit, so they basically scrapped it. Inventory management sucked? No inventory! Mako and planet exploration sucked? Gone! The fact that the
Citadel
is now a super small area, and you can't even wander around the
Presidium
any more is unbelievably disappointing. It seems like instead of trying to fix the tech issues they had with the scope of the first game, they just narrowed down and streamlined everything, and it's disappointing. Overall I think this will probably be better than the first game, but I am baffled and stupefied by people claiming it's better than the first in every regard.

Anyone about the final weapon upgrade? (when/where) I've forgotten where it was and haven't seen it in new game+ yet... I'm desperately trying to max out weapons too, but they're not cooperating. :( I'm 4/5 on most of them. (sniper/pistol/smg/assault/shotgun)

And while I'm asking:

A) how did you guys handle
Legion's
loyalty quest?
I mean, did you reprogram the geth or blow everything up?
B) how many of you (END CHOICE)
let cerberus have the collector colony instead of blowing it up
?

I'm trying to make up my mind on those so I'm set for ME3... I had trouble the first time and I sense I'm going to have trouble making up my mind again.

Cep

Banned
corrosivefrost said:
Anyone about the final weapon upgrade? (when/where) I've forgotten where it was and haven't seen it in new game+ yet... I'm desperately trying to max out weapons too, but they're not cooperating. :( I'm 4/5 on most of them. (sniper/pistol/smg/assault/shotgun)

And while I'm asking:

Legion's
loyalty quest?
?

I'm trying to make up my mind on those so I'm set for ME3... I had trouble the first time and I sense I'm going to have trouble making up my mind again.

Use the story thread for that, tags make it annoying to have this conversation.

LiK

corrosivefrost said:
And while I'm asking:

Legion's
loyalty quest?
?

i reprogrammed the Heretics and blew up the Collector base
got Paragon for both actions so i'm happy with it.

mYm|17| said:
Insanity with Vanguard :lol

Oh, the assault rifle saved my life...............it's so powerful

hey, I just started on insanity with my vanguard. I am curious as to what Bonus ability you went with?

Im torn between geth shield/fortification or Reave...

I hear barrier gets cancelled after u charge which is dumb so I didnt go with that.

enewtabie

Holy crap this game is so much better than the first. Night and day difference. I just enjoy changing the armor and the acheivement progress stuff. Controls and technicals are just superior to the first game.

CAW

jsnksn.jpg

stupei

Do you have to upgrade the medical bay to get best ending? I kind of like the scars, to be honest, so I've been holding off but I'll grab it right before the end if I need to.

ExtraKr1spy said:
Also talk to him after you complete his mission :D Broadway Mordin.

He is
The Very Model of a Mordin Major General

Cep

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:
hey, I just started on insanity with my vanguard. I am curious as to what Bonus ability you went with?

I hear barrier gets cancelled after u charge which is dumb so I didnt go with that.

For the love of god, do not level charge. Take Reave.

I also suggest Sniper Rifles later on.

stupei said:
Do you have to upgrade the medical bay to get best ending? I kind of like the scars, to be honest, so I've been holding off but I'll grab it right before the end if I need to.

No.

Cep said:
For the love of god, do not level charge. Take Reave.

I also suggest Sniper Rifles later on.

do not level charge? what? are you on drugs? what the hell are you talking about mate?

secondly....why reeve over geth shield/fortification?

mYm|17|

Fixed2BeBroken said:

I haven't used one yet as I wanna get the rest of my teammates before I do

Metroidvania

Fixed2BeBroken said:
do not level charge? what? are you on drugs? what the hell are you talking about mate?

I bumped my vanguard up to insanity, tried charge...dead within two seconds after charging a shielded enemy.

Charge isn't useful unless the enemy's shields are down, which makes it pretty hard to use on Insanity, where all enemies have shields, barriers, and armor.

Reave is overpowered because it drains all of the stats; health, shields, armor, and barriers (especially barriers) well, unlike any of the other talents, which are limited in usefulness.

This ties into the problem with a vanguard, on insanity, getting your shields back with charge isn't worth the risk you recieve once your charge is on cooldown and you're sitting right next to 2 or 3 enemies who will tear you to pieces.

Cep

Banned
Fixed2BeBroken said:

Because on Insane, EVERYTHING has some sort of defense (or 2). EVERYTHING.

Vanguards do not have a De-Buff, and Area Reave does 80.00 (per second for 4 sec) to Armor/ barriers within 3 meters. And if they do not have any defenses it heals you. Not to mention it paralyses them and makes them stand up straight(making snipind easier)

Charge is only going to get you killed, even if you can use it right, there are better skills that deserve to be leveled up. Also, no amount of defense is going to substitute cover, so Barrier/Geth Shield/Fortification are not that great.

LiK

stupei said:

nope!

Biff

Wow I'm so far behind compared to everyone else, I have no idea what you guys are talking about :lol

Noobie question: when I'm in pause mode within a fight (by pressing left shift button), how do I move my reticle? I watch one of the in-game tutorial videos, and it clearly shows Shepard moving his reticle around while everyone is paused so that he can target multiple enemies for squad mates to attack... My mouse is frozen in pause mode???

dejan

ChefRamsay said:
Wow I'm so far behind compared to everyone else, I have no idea what you guys are talking about :lol

Noobie question: when I'm in pause mode within a fight (by pressing left shift button), how do I move my reticle? I watch one of the in-game tutorial videos, and it clearly shows Shepard moving his reticle around while everyone is paused so that he can target multiple enemies for squad mates to attack... My mouse is frozen in pause mode???
Press and hold right mouse button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom