• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
selig said:
okay, i havent played the game, yet, but id like to say something regarding all the complaints about me2 being less an RPG and more a shooter.

WHY did we have the RPG-genre in the past? Because certain narrative approaches couldnt be realized with other genres. Because certain gameplay-styles were to difficult to realize. What it´s coming down to, is: ME2 gives you as a player even more direct controls about your ingame-character. Shooting isnt anymore defined by some arbitrary skill points, its defined by your very own skills of handling the game´s controls.

In a perfect world, we´d have a game as fully interactive as Zelda, with story as deep as Final Fantasy´s and a communication-system as great as Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis. But this world is not perfect. Mass Effect 2, however, is probably the game closest to this perfection.

:lol @ story as deep as final fantasy

A little present NeoGAF.

Wallpapers and Avatars of Mass Effect 2 Scribbles. I had lots of fun doing them :D
Skilotonn, if you want to can add them to the OP, for a wallpaper and avatar section.
1920X1080
Scribble_Effect_Wallpaper.jpg

1600X1200

1280X1024

I will Fight for the Lost mini posters:
I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_Shepard.jpg
I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_Miranda.jpg
I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_Grunt.jpg
I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_Thane.jpg
I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_Subject_Zero.jpg

I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_mordin.jpg
I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_Tali.jpg
I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_Jacob.jpg
I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_Samara.jpg
I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_Garrus.jpg
I_will_fight_for_the_scribble_Legion.jpg

Resized 90X120 AVATARS, grab them while you can!
Shepard
Miranda
Grunt
Thane
Subject Zero
Mordin
Tali
Jacob
Samara
Garrus
Legion

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
so I beat it for a second time... (not spoilers below, but just in case)

I just don't know. If this is Empire Strikes Back, I hope the 3rd isn't Return of the Jedi. It's dark, the choices are fantastic... but man, I hope it doesn't turn out that way since.. yeah... it could.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Btw, to those that have finished the game and went the Subject zero romance route :

spoiler alert :

How do you advance the relationship when Subject zero says she needs to think about it. Seems your stuck until the end with this reply. Is there something you have to do?

thanks!

Call dibs on that Thane Avatar, awesome work SpacePirateRidley!

Man, tomorrow's going to suck. I'm probably going to spend my time thinking of what class to play as and a possible team for the game. Sucks though, since this week are my midterms :(.

selig

Banned
Cep said:
No. Different people play different games for different reasons. Claiming that it is 'better' because it is less abstract is not a good position to start on if you want to make a point. Also, 'RPG' means a lot of things..

more interactivity = better game

And sorry about mentioning FF as an example for a deep story, I actually couldnt think up on a game with a deep story :p

Gilgamesh

I combed through this thread figuring it to be the most likely place to see ME2 avatars and I didn't see anyone using this particular screenshot of Thane (which is a shame because personally it's my favorite of the ones I've seen) so I went ahead and made it into an avatar. But if someone is actually using it, let me know. Or I suppose I'll get a PM about it from whoever it is.

Anyway, hype hype hype.

Oh, and Jacob REALLY looks like Kanye West at times in the game. It's uncanny. I was almost tempted to take a screenshot and putting a "Yo Shepard I'm really happy you're alive and Imma let you finish..." quote in it... but I couldn't think of a good second half of the joke. :lol
EDIT: Oh wait, I DID take a pic... but no photoshopping done. Just look at him and tell me it isn't uncanny!!
http://i49.tinypic.com/no67wn.jpg

Photoshop some glasses in there and it's two memes in one!

Foil said:
The Scribblenaut avatars look great, but some people might consider some of those as squad spoilers.
Definitely are. I had one team member missing and now I know who it is. Dammit. :lol

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
DarkoMaledictus said:
Btw, to those that have finished the game and went the Subject zero romance route :

spoiler alert :

How to you advance the relationship when Subject zero says she needs to think about it. Seems your stuck until the end with this reply. Is there something you have to do?

thanks!

Well, I did get her in bed, if that's what you are asking. With the help of my g/f (who was watching), I was able to convince her to lay it out on the line.

Go with the renegade choices when speaking to her. Tell her to have sex with you right then and now. Only problem is that she won't talk to you either after you have sex. So, not sure how it would evolve past the quick lay.

Swag

Foil said:
The Scribblenaut avatars look great, but some people might consider some of those as squad spoilers.

The guy with
Legion
Is going to catch so much shit in other threads :lol

Zeliard

Sullen said:
It amazes me how much people adjust, and then justify the degrading content and depth of Bioware games. As long as the visual flare and "OMG COOL STUFF" is amped up they just don't care. Bioware sure knows how to pull in its new audience though. :lol Hook, line, and sinker.

The difference lies in some people magically wishing the game to be something it never pretended to be, and others having actually played the first game and knowing what to basically expect. Yeah, I'm going to expect Deus Ex from Mass Effect, or any modern console-centric game. I certainly dwell in reality.

Mass Effect 2 is a shooter RPG where the RPG aspect lies not in stats or loot, but in character interactions. The gameplay itself is very heavily shooter-based, with the RPG elements there coming in the form of weapon and biotic upgrades. That's what the game goes for, and it succeeds at it far more than the first did.

Pining for the good old days is nice and all, and I join in that quite a bit, but christ people. I frequently wonder how some of you enjoy games at all.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Caspel said:
Well, I did get her in bed, if that's what you are asking. With the help of my g/f (who was watching), I was able to convince her to lay it out on the line.

Go with the renegade choices when speaking to her. Tell her to have sex with you right then and now. Only problem is that she won't talk to you either after you have sex. So, not sure how it would evolve past the quick lay.

Thank for the info!

spoiler :

I went the other route with her, and she says she will think about starting a relationship with you, but before going on the last mission she actually joins you in your cabin. Once the game is finished, she still sticks to she will think about it, so guess its the most that can come out of it.

Foil said:

I was going to put spoilers in the image avatars (Garrus and Legion) and even had versions of the wallpapers with the garrus and legion's spots with "Classified", but reading all this thread, nearly everyone is mentioning without spoiler tags Legion and Garrus, so I decide not to put the spoiler tag ones.
If someone is ofended I will take them of course.

Sullen said:
It amazes me how much people adjust, and then justify the degrading content and depth of Bioware games. As long as the visual flare and "OMG COOL STUFF" is amped up they just don't care. Bioware sure knows how to pull in its new audience though. :lol Hook, line, and sinker.

I love how some people try to take gameplay preferences and try to paint them as character flaws. There have been plenty of people who have made their disappointment with the game known without being condescending about it.

Hate on, Dude.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zeliard said:
The difference lies in some people magically wishing the game to be something it never pretended to be, and others having actually played the first game and knowing what to basically expect. Yeah, I'm going to expect Deus Ex from Mass Effect, or any modern console-centric game. I certainly dwell in reality.

Mass Effect 2 is a shooter RPG where the RPG aspect lies not in stats or loot, but in character interactions. The gameplay itself is very heavily shooter-based, with the RPG elements there coming in the form of weapon and biotic upgrades. That's what the game goes for, and it succeeds at it far more than the first did.

Pining for the good old days is nice and all, and I join in that quite a bit, but christ people. I frequently wonder how some of you enjoy games at all.

Amen. I always find this to be such an issue with people discussing games, and everyone is guilty of it at some point because we all have our own desires and preferences, but people all too often forget what the developer is going for and what theyre trying to create.

Yes video games are created for consumers but no product is going to succeed if its creators dont adhere to some level of their original vision and intent. Just because a game isnt exactly what you want it to be doesnt mean it isnt fulfilling what the developers set out for it to be and what most people want out of it.

AstroMan

Banned
About those images:

Shouldn't the Legion avatar say "We will fight for the lost"? Afterall, Legion isn't one, it is all.

logen9999

Banned
How have some of you guys already finished the game? it hasn't even been released.

i plan on buying it first day. I've not really decided if i'm gona get it for 360 or PC. do you guys have a preference? i have a core 2 duo 8500 at 3.8ghz and a 4850. do you think i'll have any performance issues running at 1360 by 768 with some AA?

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Just checked the first page, those armors look extremely sweet. Funny too I finished the game and never even found a second armor to put on except a new mask and visor... feels kind of lame preorder bonuses are getting so big... personally I hate going to the store months before its released just to preorder... I always walk in the first day. Starting to hate these pre-order deals...

Truant

Some missions/levels in this game are crazy. One minute you're reuniting an inter species couple for comic relief, the next you're exploring some ancient vessel with ridiculous set pieces.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
logen9999 said:
How have some of you guys already finished the game? it hasn't even been released.

i plan on buying it first day. I've not really decided if i'm gona get it for 360 or PC. do you guys have a preference? i have a core 2 duo 8500 at 3.8ghz and a 4850. do you think i'll have any performance issues running at 1360 by 768 with some AA?

Some stores did break street date, heard even some libraries were lending the game before the street date... funny stuff!

beaten...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
And the ME2 advertising keeps on rolling, the halftime stat report for the Viking/Saint game was sponsored by Mass Effect 2 "Fight for the Lost." They are really going all out with the advertising for this game, its just popping up everywhere and quite often.

Does anyone know if the figures for the ad budget have been revealed cause its gotta be pretty big. I dont remember seeing this much stuff for L4D2 and that had a 25 million dollar budget and the last game I remember seeing in this many places was MW2 and that had an ungodly amount of money behind it.

well i got my post-save game erase character to 40 now. on the last few missions. this is my last play through though. ill take whatever i can get when im import him tuesday. really wish i hadn't like my old character though :( he woulda been 60 today....

itxaka

Defeatist
wait...ammo clips? How would that work with the codex entry on the first one talking about the infinite ammo¿?

ugh, I don't like that. Don't mess with the universe. I can understand as in the first one there was a moment after the gun upgrade in which you could just shot non-stop with no reloading involved but if in this one there is no guns and they are just simple upgrades they can control it much better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom