• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
itxaka said:
wait...ammo clips? How would that work with the codex entry on the first one talking about the infinite ammo¿?

ugh, I don't like that. Don't mess with the universe. I can understand as in the first one there was a moment after the gun upgrade in which you could just shot non-stop with no reloading involved but if in this one there is no guns and they are just simple upgrades they can control it much better...

Theyre effectively ammo clips but they dont retcon the canon. They are thermal clips so instead of having the gun slowly heat up and then have to cool down you just jettison the heated up clip and put in a fresh one. You pick them up all over the place and adds to every weapon its not like theres shot gun thermal clips or AR thermal clips theres just one and it adds varying amounts to each weapon.

itxaka said:
wait...ammo clips? How would that work with the codex entry on the first one talking about the infinite ammo¿?

ugh, I don't like that. Don't mess with the universe. I can understand as in the first one there was a moment after the gun upgrade in which you could just shot non-stop with no reloading involved but if in this one there is no guns and they are just simple upgrades they can control it much better...

Swappable heat sinks = ammo clips

Edit: Beaten like a red-haired egg.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Iron E Man said:
I'm hoping my amazon order comes early so i can play before work. Otherwise Tuesday at work is gonna drag. :[

I'm taking Tuesday off, so i can be there when ups comes by.

Just want to make sure, but I assume when you import a character from a 2nd playthrough or whatever the imported choices for ME2 are based on your last play-through, not the original with that particular character?

If anyone wants an animated gif like me, just provide a video source and the particular time-frame you want. I'll see if it's possible.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Just want to make sure, but I assume when you import a character from a 2nd playthrough or whatever the imported choices for ME2 are based on your last play-through, not the original with that particular character?

I would assume there is a separate menu/function for selecting characters already in ME2 and ones from ME1.

I just previewed the whole soundtrack on Amazon and it does seem like a step back. Much less of that retro-future electronic vibe that was so cool from ME1.

Track 3 on disc 1 is exactly what I was hoping for more of (one of the main themes from ME1 actually) but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
brandonh83 said:
Damn it one of these days I will be around to snag one of those awesome avatars. Judging by the last page, they're all gone :lol

made one for you if you want it.

n4td7t.jpg

Made one of Miranda too.

2uqiz4w.jpg

Meus Renaissance said:
I would assume there is a separate menu/function for selecting characters already in ME2 and ones from ME1.

Hmmm let me clarify, my original post was confusing. If you have a character from the original mass effect thats been through multiple play-throughs, and you then import this character into ME2 which play-through of the original does it import your "choices" from? The original playthrough with that character or the last one? I assume it's the most recent, but just wanted to make sure. Hope this is a little more clear...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
selig said:
okay, i havent played the game, yet, but id like to say something regarding all the complaints about me2 being less an RPG and more a shooter.

WHY did we have the RPG-genre in the past? Because certain narrative approaches couldnt be realized with other genres. Because certain gameplay-styles were to difficult to realize. What it´s coming down to, is: ME2 gives you as a player even more direct controls about your ingame-character. Shooting isnt anymore defined by some arbitrary skill points, its defined by your very own skills of handling the game´s controls.

In a perfect world, we´d have a game as fully interactive as Zelda, with story as deep as Final Fantasy´s and a communication-system as great as Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis. But this world is not perfect. Mass Effect 2, however, is probably the game closest to this perfection.

Uuuuh....no.

Zeliard

Enduin said:
Amen. I always find this to be such an issue with people discussing games, and everyone is guilty of it at some point because we all have our own desires and preferences, but people all too often forget what the developer is going for and what theyre trying to create.

Yes video games are created for consumers but no product is going to succeed if its creators dont adhere to some level of their original vision and intent. Just because a game isnt exactly what you want it to be doesnt mean it isnt fulfilling what the developers set out for it to be and what most people want out of it.

Well, the game is probably going to be polarizing to a certain extent. It takes some of the (what I would charitably describe as) weak RPG elements from the first game and basically discards them in favor of other things, and some will find that great, and some will dislike it. I just think in general, the people who are and will be truly disappointed are the ones who didn't really have their expectations in check (or who never played ME1). I really don't think it removes or changes anything nearly significant enough from the first game that anyone who enjoyed at least some of the first will hate the second.

That's from a gameplay perspective - storyline is another thing entirely since that depends a lot more on personal attachment to the characters (and the overarching plot). The only major thing I can think of so far that I would have kept from the first is the lack of regen health. It just adds so much more tension to each battle in these sorts of games when you know you really have to mind both your health and the amount you're able to heal. I'm also a loot whore, but I'm afraid I do not miss the highly-regarded Mass Effect loot.

Truant said:
Some missions/levels in this game are crazy. One minute you're reuniting an inter species couple for comic relief, the next you're exploring some ancient vessel with ridiculous set pieces.

Yeah, that's another thing. The environments are more diverse now as well. They're still pretty linear, but you're definitely not going around the same sort of level every time. They all feel uniquely crafted this time around.

And the improvements they've made in cutscenes are obvious. The camera work is a lot more varied and the characters animate more nicely as well. A lot of the characters you meet end up being memorable since they're conveyed a lot more effectively than in the first game, including excellent voice acting (with the unfortunate exception of male Shepard, who can be pretty inconsistent).

Messi

Meus Renaissance said:
If anyone wants an animated gif like me, just provide a video source and the particular time-frame you want. I'll see if it's possible.

Hey i'd love one from the launch trailer, either 0:29-0:34 (shep in helmet) or 1:43-1:45 (Tali with the gun)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5DL6jFXfhM&feature=fvst

Cheers man!

Dan Yo

Banned
Cep said:
Writers: Both of the lead writes left. You definitely see that there are new sheriffs in town. In some ways, this is better as ME2 is a lot more interesting and colorful (Paragon and Renegade Shep both feel like the same person, instead of a schizo). The ...

...but at the same time, it is not so good. Unlike the first (which presented a Optimistic Space opera with with a thick layer of Cynicism underneath), this game wears its cynicism on its sleeve, and it is pretty damn annoying: Fuck the government, fuck you, FUCK YEAH! At times, it feels childish. Also the Squadies are now more colorful and interesting, but the writing for them and some of their missions is incredibly loose, as opposed to the sterile but tightly written squads and missions for ME1.

I had not heard of this. Do you know why they left?

What role does the author of the books have in the writing of the game's story?

I knew the whole Subject Zero thing seemed a bit off in tone from the first.

KHarvey16

A sign of a good game is when you can read the complaints and just have your anticipation almost validated :lol. Haven't seen a complaint yet that I can imagine empathizing with.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
firehawk12 said:
There is apparently yet another secret project at Edmonton, so they may have moved on to that.

Jade Empire 2?!

:D

After ME2, all BioWare will have left unannounced is DA: The Awakening, some ME2 DLC sure to be announced soon, and Star Wars: The Old Republic (in 2011). I expect more and more games to be announced at BioWare this year with some of them releasing the next year (TOR will probably be their next major release).

I'm not sure I like the overtly darker tone of this. I understand they are going for the whole 'dark middle act' but characters like Subject Zero make it seem more like 'rahh angst and spaceships' than Empire Strikes Back. Hearing they went a different route with the soundtrack is disappointing too, it's like they are trying to appeal to an entirely different crowd.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shrinnan said:
Jade Empire 2?!

After ME2, all BioWare will have left unannounced is DA: The Awakening, some ME2 DLC sure to be announced soon, and Star Wars: The Old Republic (in 2011). I expect more and more games to be announced at BioWare this year with some of them releasing the next year (TOR will probably be their next major release).

I wish. :lol

Someone who works there posted on another board that he was working on a game that is neither ME or DA related. I joked that it was Sonic 2, but he was tight-lipped of course.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Shrinnan said:
Jade Empire 2?!

I sure hope not. Jade Empire kinda sucked. :S

I asked this on the other thread but I never got answered.

Do the individual pieces of armor that you can select for Shepard alter any stats? Or is it just cosmetic? Also, can you change the armor after Character creation? Do you unlock more pieces ever?

hamchan

I'm playing through the first game again right now and I think the inventory system can go fuck itself, loot doesn't need to return. Cheers to Bioware for taking the best parts of an RPG ie. the dialogue and story, and combining it with some good shooting in ME2.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zeliard said:
Well, the game is probably going to be polarizing to a certain extent. It takes some of the (what I would charitably describe as) weak RPG elements from the first game and basically discards them in favor of other things, and some will find that great, and some will dislike it. I just think in general, the people who are and will be truly disappointed are the ones who didn't really have their expectations in check (or who never played ME1). I really don't think it removes or changes anything nearly significant enough from the first game that anyone who enjoyed at least some of the first will hate the second.

That's from a gameplay perspective - storyline is another thing entirely since that depends a lot more on personal attachment to the characters (and the overarching plot). The only major thing I can think of so far that I would have kept from the first is the lack of regen health. It just adds so much more tension to each battle in these sorts of games when you know you really have to mind both your health and the amount you're able to heal. I'm also a loot whore, but I'm afraid I do not miss the highly-regarded Mass Effect loot.

Yeah I can imagine the regen is going to alter the tension of the game a good bit, thats probably one of the few things I would say may dumbing the game down, along with no leveling during missions and not being able to change squad mates armor. But I doubt it will make things too easy for me when all Im gonna play is veteran and insanity.

The loot issue is ridiculous to me, it was never a major part of the game, rather it was an annoyance. ME isnt Borderlands and it shouldnt try to be, a great loot system takes a lot of hard work and effort, effort that BioWare wisely puts into creating great stories and characters that you the player can affect and alter.

In a perfect world the game would have everything but it cant, nor should it, they need to play to their strengths and place the focus on them, which this system seems to do, it allows players to get right into the action and the exploration/interaction and not spending 10 minutes after every big event selling equipment or turning the dozens of useless drops into omni-gels.

Not everything theyve done with ME2 has been how I would have done it, had I the power, but Ive understood nearly every single change theyve made and only time and another dozen playthroughs, like I did with ME, will tell if they made the right decisions or not.

Enduin said:
Theyre effectively ammo clips but they dont retcon the canon. They are thermal clips so instead of having the gun slowly heat up and then have to cool down you just jettison the heated up clip and put in a fresh one. You pick them up all over the place and adds to every weapon its not like theres shot gun thermal clips or AR thermal clips theres just one and it adds varying amounts to each weapon.

I'm glad to see that they made the magazines heatsinks since I was hoping they'd do that to preserve the canon. The real question is will your gun "cool down" even if you wait and don't swap clips?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
firehawk12 said:
I wish. :lol

Someone who works there posted on another board that he was working on a game that is neither ME or DA related. I joked that it was Sonic 2, but he was tight-lipped of course.

There was recent news that reported that we haven't seen the last of the Jade Empire franchise. I tend to think that their next major release will probably be Jade Empire 2. I would really like to see a next-gen sequel.

thetrin said:
I sure hope not. Jade Empire kinda sucked. :S

It tried some different things, but I believe with a little refinement an actual sequel would be awesome. Jade Empire's combat focused on melee, so maybe if BioWare did a full on skill based melee system it would definitely offset the range based system in the ME series.

thetrin

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Kinda? I prefer to just forget it even exists.

I'm being kind.

Shrinnan said:
It tried some different things, but I believe with a little refinement an actual sequel would be awesome. Jade Empire's combat focused on melee, so maybe if BioWare did a full on skill based melee system it would definitely offset the range based system in the ME series.

My issue with JE wasn't the combat; it was the crappy "RPG" elements.

kitzkozan

firehawk12 said:
There is apparently yet another secret project at Edmonton, so they may have moved on to that.

I hope it's a new franchise yet again. :D

Crap,I grabbed legion as well. :p I might switch for the DLC character once we start playing on tuesday. :lol

hermit7

Enduin said:

This is good to hear, I am stoked for this to come on Tuesday. Only decision I have is whether I want to pick it up tomorrow at midnight.

Yes, I think I do

Technoob

Banned
kitzkozan said:
I hope it's a new franchise yet again. :D

Crap,I grabbed legion as well. :p I might switch for the DLC character once we start playing on tuesday. :lol
ehh, we were both beaten :D changing mine now, we got beat fair and square last page :(

kitzkozan

Technoob said:
ehh, we were both beaten :D changing mine now, we got beat fair and square last page :(

Agreed. T_T

We need more characters,11 is nowhere near enough. :p Why not create characters from the first game as well. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom