• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Feels like Bioware has you linger on the back of Dr. Chakwas' head for an inexplicable second every time you're done chatting with her just to add that extra special creepy.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
prodystopian said:
For the new page.

Spoilers about your crew in the end game mainly related to loyalty quests. I'll try to be vague, but only read this if you don't want to get angry over the end game because it seems like a lot of people are upset with what unfolds.

You might have already made a choice between your ship's crew and your squad. The best way for your squad to survive is for everybody to be loyal, but you were given a choice to rescue your crew immediately or to keep working on your squad. If you do any missions after you are given this choice, some of the supporting crew may/will die. Your squad can survive without everybody being loyal but that drops their chances.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Without spoiling too much, is there a point of no return as far as the romancing goes? I'm sort of torn and so I'd like to keep a save before I have to make some sort of critical decision.

dankir

I'm about half way through this now and I think the greatest improvement have to be the side missions. The stories and choices that you have to make in loyalty missions specifically are fucking fantastic.

Great friggin' game

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
GuardianE said:
By equipping an Assault Rifle, you're pretty much choosing to not play as a Vanguard. I would have gone Sniper Rifle, possibly, since very long distances and ledges are the Vanguard's weakness, but the Claymore shotgun looked way too much fun to pass up.

I haven't spent a single point in Cryo ammo, and after reading some of the comments here, I'm glad I didn't. Maybe try respecing.
I already beat the game with an Infiltrator (which was awesome) so I didn't want to touch the snipers. And after having my ass handed to me on
Horizon
, I was a little too determined to prevent that shit from happening again. No doubt I'll end up having to respec, but I'll probably go back and try the Claymore too. Reave is awesome for Vanguards btw.

notworksafe

GuardianE said:
Without spoiling too much, is there a point of no return as far as the romancing goes? I'm sort of torn and so I'd like to keep a save before I have to make some sort of critical decision.

Yes, there's a point where the person you are romancing will tell you to break up with everyone else before they'll sleep with you.

I'm only 20 hours in, but I'm loving it. I'd buy DLC characters and missions til the end of time, if Bioware kept providing it. And it was fully fleshed out with voices and stuff, not just a bit of random dungeon.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
DY_nasty said:
I was stuck choosing between the AR and the Claymore for my Vanguard. Decided to give the AR a shot and never really looked back but now that I've come to a certain point of no return, I may just go back to that save and try to give it a run. Its just so damned hard to play as a vanguard when your damage is so inconsistent (The shittyness of Cryo Ammo may have played a part in that). The AR, especially the Vindicator, is great but kind of neutralizes all of the strengths of the Vanguard at the same time.

The new Eviscerator shotgun is an excellent stand-in for the Claymore if you chose assault rifles for your Vanguard like I did. It's more damaging than the Scimitar with a slightly slower firing rate and tighter shot spread. It does extra damage against armor, too.

Play the standard Vanguard charge-everything style with the Eviscerator and since you can use the Vindicator, you can afford to be more cautious against dangerous-to-charge mechs/scions/praetorians and take them out faster and at longer ranges than with the submachine gun or pistol.

Also, damage over time abilities (including inferno ammo) do all their damage instantly against defenses, so Vanguards can just stick with inferno ammo and use their bonus power on a Reave for extra damage against mini-boss enemies.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Gillian Seed said:
Pic Of The Day:

60042740.jpg

That's just plain nasty.

Erico said:
The new Eviscerator shotgun is an excellent stand-in for the Claymore if you chose assault rifles for your Vanguard like I did. It's more damaging than the Scimitar with a slightly slower firing rate and tighter shot spread. It does extra damage against armor, too.

Play the standard Vanguard charge-everything style with the Eviscerator and since you can use the Vindicator, you can afford to be more cautious against dangerous-to-charge mechs/scions/praetorians and take them out faster and at longer ranges than with the submachine gun or pistol.

Also, damage over time abilities (including inferno ammo) do all their damage instantly against defenses, so Vanguards can just stick with inferno ammo and use their bonus power on a Reave for extra damage against mini-boss enemies.

I seem to be in the minority but I played more of a long distance Vanguard using Shockwave, Warp Ammo and the pistol. I usually kept Garrus and Thane in my party to debuff enemies and provide (warp ammo)sniper support. I would switch to the shotgun and move in only after the enemies numbers were dwindled down. This strategy was ace on veteran/hardcore but I will have to see if it still works well on Insanity.

DY_nasty

MWS Natural said:
I seem to be in the minority but I played more of a long distance Vanguard using Shockwave, Warp Ammo and the pistol. I usually kept Garrus and Thane in my party to debuff enemies and provide (warp ammo)sniper support. I would switch to the shotgun and move in only after the enemies numbers were dwindled down. This strategy was ace on veteran/hardcore but I will have to see if it still works well on Insanity.
I'm kind of in the same boat with you. Shockwave spam saved my ass many times and I'm not about to give it up now. The AR is great but it certainly does offset all the advantages of the Vanguard class. At the same time, the Vanguard sucks against anything bigger than your typical shielded merc. Mechs, Scions, etc turn you into a bitch.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Got it for PC. I'm having a heck of a time adjusting to using a KB/M instead of the 360 controller. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that ME2 does not support gamepads.

Is this correct? I haven't tried my wired 360 controller yet. Is there some sort of work around that anyone knows and could post directions on?

Thanks in advance.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
DY_nasty said:
Except the ones that don't.

From what I've seen, most people chose red hair. I did just because it was the selection that looks least ridiculous on longer hair. The choices really left a lot to be desired.
That, and it's scientifically proven fact that redheads are better.

Aside from the hair color itself, though, I haven't seen any Shepard that looks all that much like mine.

Coverly

RbBrdMan said:
Got it for PC. I'm having a heck of a time adjusting to using a KB/M instead of the 360 controller. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that ME2 does not support gamepads.

Is this correct? I haven't tried my wired 360 controller yet. Is there some sort of work around that anyone knows and could post directions on?

Thanks in advance.

Use Xpadder. Version 5.3 should be free.

I played the entire game using the 360controller, had no problem at all.

Jinjo said:
Default Shepard ftw.

+1! I must have missed the button for customizing shephard in the first game, but I liked the default enough to keep him. I'm looking forward to going back through 1 and 2 with a femShep, though.

notworksafe

The Lamonster said:
I'm going to eventually post mine just to prove you wrong. Mine is the hottest EVER.

I'd be curious to see. I'm gonna start a Renegade FemShep playthough soon and none of the faces in the database have really impressed me.

Patryn

The funny thing is that my recent new character is a redhead, just because my first Shepard was a blonde, and I thought everybody was doing a blonde Shepard. Silly me!

Coxswain

Dandy said:
Every female Shepard looks the same.
Can't disagree with that too much, but I still like mine. I tried to go for more of a gaunt face than average, with her eyes a bit sunken in, and definitely no makeup - basically, so she looks like she's seen some shit.

jeanne-rolleyes.jpg

Dandy

J. M. Romeo said:
Ok, I don't wanna read anything because I haven't finished the game, but a certain robot just gave me a straight mathematician's answer to a DO YOU DO X OR Y? question, and his YES cracked me up.

Back to the game.
:lol My favourite line in the game.

OMG Aero

While avoiding spoilers as much as possible, could someone please tell me how much of a point of no return the IFF mission is? I have all loyalty quests done and everything, I just have a few N7 missions left, and I'd like to do some missions with the last party member instead of just getting him at the end of the game and hardly getting to use him.
From what I've gathered from cryptic posts here, the IFF doesn't seem to be a point of no return but people have been urging to finish the game as soon as you complete it which just confuses me further.

OMG Aero said:
While avoiding spoilers as much as possible, could someone please tell me how much of a point of no return the IFF mission is? I have all loyalty quests done and everything, I just have a few N7 missions left, and I'd like to do some missions with the last party member instead of just getting him at the end of the game and hardly getting to use him.
From what I've gathered from cryptic posts here, the IFF doesn't seem to be a point of no return but people have been urging to finish the game as soon as you complete it which just confuses me further.
You can still do N7 Missions after the endgame. So if you did all the Squad and Loyalty Missions, do the IFF Mission. After another two missions (one of them should be the last loyalty quest) something big happens. After that you should go through the Relay. So the IFF Mission ist kind of a Timebomb.

notworksafe

OMG Aero said:

It's not the final point of no return but it's pretty close. You will only have time for one or two missions before you need to head to the Omega 4 Relay. I'd use one of those two do the the new member's loyalty mission.

And even after you beat the game you can go back and finish up some extra missions and such, so you'll still be able to have fun with the new member.

Dandy said:
:lol My favourite line in the game.
That and "As a rule never experiment on anything capable of calculus".

It's a point of expected expediency, not of no return.

Oh and how the fuck can someone look at the Krogan Claymoregun and not want it?

And Vanguards aren't terrrrible against large mechs/scions, they just need to spray tons of smg ammo at em.

Dresden

Scions are easy if you can get into melee range. Just ring around it charging every cooldown should keep you alive while you melee/shotgun it to death. Works on every difficulty, since the shockwave is so slow to cast. You can do it to Harbingers as well, although it's more risky.

Mechs are a bit more dangerous though. On Hardcore or less just rip off the shield with an smg and Charge in. Charge every cooldown and you'll usually survive. On Insanity though, Reave+Carnifex until the armor is stripped, then it's charge time.

As for the Claymore, apparently you can reload cancel if you melee at the right time. So you'll still reload, but you'll get a melee swing in as well. No idea if it works since most things will die in one shot with Inferno/Armor piercing ammo enabled, but just food for thought.

Tendo

Is there a list somewhere of the events that carry over from ME1 to ME2? I'm about to finish ME1 but I'm missing alot of the collection quests like artifacts, minerals, etc. Will I be missing anything in ME2? I really dont want to go explore for all that crap.

DY_nasty

Son of Godzilla said:
That and "As a rule never experiment on anything capable of calculus".

It's a point of expected expediency, not of no return.

Oh and how the fuck can someone look at the Krogan Claymoregun and not want it?

And Vanguards aren't terrrrible against large mechs/scions, they just need to spray tons of smg ammo at em.
The Krogan Claymoregun is nice and all, but shotguns had largely disappointed me up to that point. Getting my ass beat on
Horizon
took a lot of fun out of it.

Dresden

SpacePirate Ridley said:
My Borja Shepard, based on me without galsses.
I fucking love this shot:
MassEffect2_2010-02-05_20-38-39-23.jpg

Your Shepard looks almost exactly like mine, except mine doesn't have thick eyebrows or black hair. Otherwise, almost identical though, too bad you can't take screenshots on the 360.

Dan Yo

Banned
Tendo said:
Is there a list somewhere of the events that carry over from ME1 to ME2? I'm about to finish ME1 but I'm missing alot of the collection quests like artifacts, minerals, etc. Will I be missing anything in ME2? I really dont want to go explore for all that crap.
No list would be accurate considering Bioware has said even some of the ME1 decisions that had no bearing in ME2 will be felt in ME3.

Tendo said:
It's mostly just the sidequests you get information on during main-worlds that show up, not the stuff you get from pure exploration.

Dresden said:
Your Shepard looks almost exactly like mine, except mine doesn't have thick eyebrows or black hair. Otherwise, almost identical though, too bad you can't take screenshots on the 360.

I said it also in the High res shots thread, the Mass effect face maker lends very nicely to recreate my face. Im even flattered that so many people play with my face :lol

Dresden

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I said it also in the High res shots thread, the Mass effect face maker lends very nicely to recreate my face. Im even flattered that so many people play with my face :lol

Dude, you just ruined my Mass Effect experience. I don't want to play with another man's face! :lol

HooCares

Neo Member
Been enjoying the shit out of this game. Like it a lot more than ME1 but I can't put my finger on it exactly. I guess I like the characters more. The few I did like in ME1 made it back to this game as well.

Any tips on scanning planets? Certain planets are resource "rich" according to the scanner. Should I just scan the rich planets? Will that get me enough resources for most upgrades?

And yes, I already bought the Scanner speed upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom