• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
~Kinggi~ said:
Quick question about ME 1!!

Okay so im really late to the party and i just beat ME 1 in prep for ME 2

Basically the ending i got involved a victory and Shepard seemed all fine and the Normandy flew out into space. So why is it that everything i have heard before ME 2 release acts like something really bad happened to Shepard? Did i not get the right ending??

You're fine. There is no right or wrong ending. Everything will work out once you pop in ME2.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
~Kinggi~ said:
Quick question about ME 1!!

Okay so im really late to the party and i just beat ME 1 in prep for ME 2

Basically the ending i got involved a victory and Shepard seemed all fine and the Normandy flew out into space. So why is it that everything i have heard before ME 2 release acts like something really bad happened to Shepard? Did i not get the right ending??

play mass effect 2

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
~Kinggi~ said:

I'll try to be as ambiguous as possible with regard to ME2's opening so...

There is no "right" ending to ME1. Your ending is just as good as my ending and they both are essentially tied into the opening of ME2. The ending to ME1 has no drastic effect upon the opening of ME2.

Dresden

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
Ah, thank you. I 'upgraded' my heavy pistol. Unfortunately it is much worse and has a significantly gimped clip size. Thanks for the advice my man.

It's not quite true. Most weapons statically ARE better than their earlier counterparts. Your new heavy pistol deals almost three times the damage and is more effective against armor as well. It's small clip size is the only thing balancing how powerful it is.

Same thing for shotguns (Katana to Scimitar), assault rifles (Avenger to Vindicator), and snipers. (Mantis to Viper to Widow).

What's a good resource for PC mods/Coalesced.ini edits, I don't feel like scanning for resources a fourth time. I know someone posted something here early on, but I'm still getting the hang of using Google to search within GAF threads.

EDIT: Found the modded file for max credits and resources. Anyone know if one is out for party member respecs?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dresden said:
It's not quite true. Most weapons statically ARE better than their earlier counterparts. Your new heavy pistol deals almost three times the damage and is more effective against armor as well. It's small clip size is the only thing balancing how powerful it is.

Same thing for shotguns (Katana to Scimitar), assault rifles (Avenger to Vindicator), and snipers. (Mantis to Viper to Widow).

The only upgraded weapon I thought was significantly worse was the sniper rifle. The Mantis is much more useful than the Viper, just because of how much stronger it is.

Of course, the second sniper rifle upgrade you can get blows it out of the water, but then it's basically a stronger version of the first gun even though it says it's an upgrade to the secon.d

edit:

clashfan said:
I have picked up my last party member. Please don't tell me I'm almost done with the game?

Yep, you're just about done. Unfortunately, you spend far too little time with the last party member.

Teknoman

I like those cerberus daily news feeds. Although you cant see the events they report on, its kinda cool knowing about things that are happening in the universe.

Also wow at Intergalactic Red Cross.

Archaix said:
The only upgraded weapon I thought was significantly worse was the sniper rifle. The Mantis is much more useful than the Viper, just because of how much stronger it is.

Of course, the second sniper rifle upgrade you can get blows it out of the water, but then it's basically a stronger version of the first gun even though it says it's an upgrade to the secon.d

I wouldn't say it's worse. It holds way more shots, which is important. Based on the PC data, the 10 shots you get from the Mantis deals 2,631 damage whereas the 60 shots you get from the Viper totals 4,914 damage. Since you can fire the Viper three times in the time it takes to shoot the Mantis once, you're probably better off with the Viper.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
MegaKungFuRadio said:
I wouldn't say it's worse. It holds way more shots, which is important. Based on the PC data, the 10 shots you get from the Mantis deals 2,631 damage whereas the 60 shots you get from the Viper totals 4,914 damage. Since you can fire the Viper three times in the time it takes to shoot the Mantis once, you're probably better off with the Viper.

Not if you're playing an infiltrator, because by the time you get those three shots off you are no longer invisible. You get a lot more damage from the first shot than any others, and that first shot is killer with the mantis.

With a headshot from the mantis while cloaked you can pretty much destroy anything. You lose that benefit from choosing the viper. Even if you manage to get three headshots off with those three shots, you don't have the damage bonus any more. On top of that, by the time you've gotten more than your first shot off, you've also probably lost the time slowing advantage of the class when zoomed in.

Now, for a soldier this may be different. I don't think I've ever played a soldier class in a videogame when given the choice though so I can't say for sure :lol

Dresden

From my short time with the infiltrator, with maxed out Assassin bonus, the time slowdown usually lasted long enough for three shots with the Viper. So you could fire three shots, zoom out, and then zoom back in immediately for three more.

I preferred the Mantis for obvious reasons, though. One shot kills are so much more satisfying.

1zd4tif.jpg

hs56yp.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Son of Godzilla said:
All these Shepards freak me out. MINE IS THE TRUE ONE.

Seriously, just imaging my Shepard's voice coming from ya'lls bothers me.
seriously. i feel violated.

Archaix said:
Not if you're playing an infiltrator, because by the time you get those three shots off you are no longer invisible. You get a lot more damage from the first shot than any others, and that first shot is killer with the mantis.

With a headshot from the mantis while cloaked you can pretty much destroy anything. You lose that benefit from choosing the viper. Even if you manage to get three headshots off with those three shots, you don't have the damage bonus any more. On top of that, by the time you've gotten more than your first shot off, you've also probably lost the time slowing advantage of the class when zoomed in.

Now, for a soldier this may be different. I don't think I've ever played a soldier class in a videogame when given the choice though so I can't say for sure :lol

Good point. I didn't have Assassin's Cloak until fairly late in the game and actually didn't even bother with sniping most of my playthrough unless I was in trouble. My cooldown was mostly used for Heavy Reave, not Cloak. Between fearing infinite respawn points and the amount of health enemies have on Insanity, I saved my sniper rifle for Krogans, Scions, and large Mechs. The limitation of the Mantis's 10 shot capacity, scarcity of clips, and often being pinned down were enough reasons for me to ditch the Mantis after Freedom's Progress.

EDIT: Also, mathematically, the Mantis is still less damage. Even if you cloak up every shot for 75% and cloak up none of the shots with the Viper, it's 4,604 total damage to the Viper's 4,914. It also sucks less when you miss and has less wasted damage to overkill. Your preference is your preference, but there is no real advantage to using the Mantis over the Viper compared to a number of disadvantages.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Son of Godzilla said:
All these Shepards freak me out. MINE IS THE TRUE ONE.

Seriously, just imaging my Shepard's voice coming from ya'lls bothers me.
Agreed, not even the "official" Shepard is the real one.

Posted these before in the screen shots thread but here are two:

This is the one I have on my avatar as rotation:

I think he's pretty unique.

Dresden

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Good point. I didn't have Assassin's Cloak until fairly late in the game and actually didn't even bother with sniping most of my playthrough unless I was in trouble. My cooldown was mostly used for Heavy Reave, not Cloak. Between fearing infinite respawn points and the amount of health enemies have on Insanity, I saved my sniper rifle for Krogans, Scions, and large Mechs. The limitation of the Mantis's 10 shot capacity, scarcity of clips, and often being pinned down were enough reasons for me to ditch the Mantis after Freedom's Progress.

EDIT: Also, mathematically, the Mantis is still less damage. Even if you cloak up every shot for 75% and cloak up none of the shots with the Viper, it's 4,604 total damage to the Viper's 4,914. It also sucks less when you miss and has less wasted damage to overkill. Your preference is your preference, but there is no real advantage to using the Mantis over the Viper compared to a number of disadvantages.

Huh? Unless you were on New Game+, that's impossible.

You also have to remember that overall damage dealt is rather insignificant when applied to burst damage weapons.

hateradio said:
Agreed, not even the "official" Shepard is the real one.

Posted these before in the screen shots thread but here are two:

This is the one I have on my avatar as rotation:

I think he's pretty unique.

Default male and slightly modified default female are the only Shepards I'm comfortable seeing those voices come out of. Everything else is jarring and wrong. Strange, too, since my very first Shepard was a custom male that I would later realize looks sort of like bald Bruce Willis.

So I like that my FemShep has a little bit of scarring but not too much...I'm going for a kind of neutral playthrough where I act renegade but make paragon mission choices for the most part, so I'm expecting to have an overall balanced paragon/renegade rating. Will that still result in me having terminator scarring? Or will having a reasonable amount of paragon keep the scarring in check?

And also since I'm not going pure paragon or renegade, will I still be able to beat the
suicide mission without any losses?
I'm mainly referring to losing loyalty to my crew members during their arguments on the Normandy. I doubt I'll have a high enough charm/intimidate to keep everyone loyal.

Dresden said:
Huh? Unless you were on New Game+, that's impossible.

You also have to remember that overall damage dealt is rather insignificant when applied to burst damage weapons.

Incisor DLC. And yes, I realize that. I just disliked the Mantis on Insanity. Not enough damage to kill enough enemies to sustain its own ammo.

Btw... nobody notice that?

On Tutchanka there is a mighty building on the horizon resemble a lot the Ryugyong hotel in Pyonyang. Kim Jong (Mental) Ill confirmed on Mass Effect 3?

This is the building in Tutchanka
epjhow.jpg

And this the Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea
xct6rl.jpg

Dresden

So Krogans are North Koreans, and Warlord Okeer was Kim Jong Il?

So Grunt is the perfect Korean, then. Goddamn, Krogan has the same number of letters as Korean. Holy shit!

Coxswain

Dresden said:
Your new heavy pistol deals almost three times the damage and is more effective against armor as well. It's small clip size is the only thing balancing how powerful it is.
It does more damage per shot, and it's closer to 2x than 3x the per-shot damage of the Predator. To make up for that, the Predator has 2x the firing rate, and 2x the clip size, while allowing you to carry 3x the ammo. Neither one is significantly better than the other in any way that isn't eclipsed by your playstyle and specific need in a weapon. That holds true for most of the weapons in the game.

Coxswain said:
It does more damage per shot, and it's closer to 2x than 3x the per-shot damage of the Predator. To make up for that, the Predator has 2x the firing rate, and 2x the clip size, while allowing you to carry 3x the ammo. Neither one is significantly better than the other in any way that isn't eclipsed by your playstyle and specific need in a weapon. That holds true for most of the weapons in the game.

While you're not wrong, in my experience, the Hand Cannon is more useful than the Predator. Enough so that even though I've been tempted one or two times in three playthroughs to switch back to it on a load out, I never did.

Am I the only person running in to glitches in this game? I just hit my third glitch in the Thane mission that forced me to reset. Am I just unlucky or is everyone just ignoring them?

Fox the Sly

orson9999999 said:
Am I the only person running in to glitches in this game? I just hit my third glitch in the Thane mission that forced me to reset. Am I just unlucky or is everyone just ignoring them?

I've encountered a couple of stuck glitches and the weapons locker crashes the game on me due to to DLC weapons (I think). That's about it for me.

pringles

Coxswain said:
The game is stupid and says that guns "upgrade" other guns. It's not true, at least not in general. If you like the feel of an older gun better than a replacement you get, go back to the older one; odds are it's just as good (and probably better, if it fits your playstyle more). It's designed so that (at least in theory) every weapon is useful, at all levels.
Did not know that. I always used the new guns I got, since there was nothing indicating that an older gun could be better. Well except for Heavy weapons of course.

Arjen

orson9999999 said:

I got stuck in the air on Thuchenka
And i got stuck in the air at least 10 times in a row in a specific sidequest.

Ricker

30 some hours,level 26,finished the game last evening...awesome,awesome stuff,my only gripe is the choppy,stuttering cutscene transitions and a few spoilery things I didn`t get(failed my romance attempt,so close to the goal for example)the others are for the other thread...loved it.

And yeah,I had only one instance that the B prompt to finish the mission did not work and I was stuck in a room,so I had to restart a small section.

pringles

Ricker said:
my only gripe is the choppy,stuttering cutscene transitions.
hm? did you play 360 or PC? I didn't notice any of that on 360, in fact I was pleasantly surprised over how smooth all the transitions were for a Bioware game.

vhfive

orson9999999 said:
i'm on my third playthrough and i haven't run into any bad glitches at all.

Kolgar

LQX said:
Never played with a male Shepard from the first game or this one starting out so I started a new game with a male Shepard. I'm not much on voice work but the male version of Shepard is not up to the level of female Shepard which has a very authoritative voice. I frigging love my female Shepard partly because of how she sounds in comparison to how I made her look. He sounds so wimpy as if she should be commanding him. But I guess I can do with with him to get my romance on.

FemShep is THE Shep for me.

I took her through ME1 and ME2, then started all over again with a ManShep in ME1. It's amazing how much less I'm enjoying myself. The dude is so generic; his voice so dull.

I'm slogging through it, in part to see the different romances I missed, but it feels like a grind and I miss my Catherine Keener-looking, Jennifer-Hale-voiced galactic goddess with every passing second.

In fact, I've no choice but to replay ME2 with my level 28 FemShep and bask once again in all her glory!

Meier

Didnt realize I had apparently not made a save post beating of Saren so neither of my two completions were importable. Had to beat him again and totally forgot everything about the first game's combat as it had literally been like 2 years since I played it. Barely could beat him! :lol

Ended up playing like 5-6 hours last night.. I got Archangel and The Professor and did some scanning (I like and dislike this equally I think... it's a real chore even with the improved scanner).

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Meier said:
Didnt realize I had apparently not made a save post beating of Saren so neither of my two completions were importable. Had to beat him again and totally forgot everything about the first game's combat as it had literally been like 2 years since I played it. Barely could beat him! :lol

This happened to quite a few people including myself, I did the same thing you did and just kicked Saren's ass again. Going from ME2 combat to ME1 combat is just night/day.

Dead

well not really...yet
Pankaks said:
This happened to quite a few people including myself, I did the same thing you did and just kicked Saren's ass again. Going from ME2 combat to ME1 combat is just night/day.
Im replaying ME1 atm and that is an understatement

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
orson9999999 said:

Luckily I only ran into two glitches over one and a half playthroughs. The one that annoyed me was when I was investigating the colony early on. A few drones popped up and one of them blew up, but didn't register as dying. I had an invisible floating target that couldn't take damage or attack me. The other was on a planet scanning mission where I ended up floating in the middle of some rubble and couldn't get back on solid ground, but that didn't really make me lose any progress.

Though not a glitch, what's really gotten me is dying and being frustrated, hitting A to load up the first save assuming that's the autosave like every other damned game in history and restarting the mission, only to lose my autosave from near the end of the mission :lol

That happened to me a handful of times early on, that's a stupid design decision that bugged me more than any glitches. It's not so much that restart mission is at the top, but that every time you restart a mission it overwrites your autosave before you can do anything about your mistake.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dead said:
I'm replaying ME1 atm and that is an understatement

The only thing I really miss from ME1 combat is the crouch on LS. I still don't understand why they took that out =/.

Archaix said:
Luckily I only ran into two glitches over one and a half playthroughs. The one that annoyed me was when I was investigating the colony early on. A few drones popped up and one of them blew up, but didn't register as dying. I had an invisible floating target that couldn't take damage or attack me. The other was on a planet scanning mission where I ended up floating in the middle of some rubble and couldn't get back on solid ground, but that didn't really make me lose any progress.

Though not a glitch, what's really gotten me is dying and being frustrated, hitting A to load up the first save assuming that's the autosave like every other damned game in history and restarting the mission, only to lose my autosave from near the end of the mission :lol

That happened to me a handful of times early on, that's a stupid design decision that bugged me more than any glitches. It's not so much that restart mission is at the top, but that every time you restart a mission it overwrites your autosave before you can do anything about your mistake.

OK, so it's not just me. Most of glitches I ran into could just be solved by hitting start and reloading. However, in the Thane mission if you run ahead you are stopped buy a guy in the room at the end of the hallway and given some renegade/paragon options. After I went through this my character just got stuck in a wall with Thane yelling at me to keep up, and the only thing I could do was exit out to the xbox menu.

This happened both times I tried it, so the last time I hung back and took my time, but when I got to that room the guy didn't stop me so I didn't have the chance for paragon/renegade points. I was able to proceed normally though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom