• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got to the part with Jack. Why, oh why is that a character? I avoided basically everything about the game before and had heard bits and pieces about her, but who knew it would be this awful. Her along with Aria are the absolute most obnoxious characters I've met in a game. I think Bioware needs to get a better grasp on their idea of an "edgy bitch" or whatever they're going for.

Besides that, the game is fantastic.

jjasper

cr_blah_blah said:
I just got to the part with Jack. Why, oh why is that a character? I avoided basically everything about the game before and had heard bits and pieces about her, but who knew it would be this awful. Her along with Aria are the absolute most obnoxious characters I've met in a game. I think Bioware needs to get a better grasp on their idea of an "edgy bitch" or whatever they're going for.

I actually liked Jack's character more than I thought I would but I still think the design is terrible.

Is there a problem connecting to Cyberus Network at the mo? It's taking ages and not connecting me at all, saying try again later.

Also is there a problem with XBL cause when I go to the marketplace and click on game content I get a "temporarely unavailable" error message. :/

Mrbob

I have about 25 hours in the game right now....still need to get 3 more recruits. I've been doing all the side missions for my current recruits and they are all pretty fantastic. In fact, I have to say all the side missions in this game are really well done. Much better than the first game by far. I like the idea of scanning planets for anomalies to find side missions....I don't like scanning planets for resources though. :lol Get that stuff out of ME3 Bioware!

I wasn't enthralled with Jack at first either, but after playing her side mission I have some empathy for her and what she went through. You can understand why she became the person she did.

Side note: I do think it is somewhat stupid recurring characters need to their side mission before being loyal to you.

RdN

Mrbob said:
Side note: I do think it is somewhat stupid recurring characters need to their side mission before being loyal to you.

I agree.. it's the only thing in the game's history that I didn't like.

markatisu

Mrbob said:

I was not fond of it either and figured since you were working with Cerebrus you had to build the trust again. But after what happened in ME1 you would think a conversation would be enough

Or god forbid
saving Garrus ass on Omega and Tali from being hunted down by Geth
would be enough proof that a side mission was not required

Zalasta

°°ToMmY°° said:
those minigames and resource hunting is really starting to bother me. who's the one who thought such pieces of shit gimmicks would have been fun?

Is it too soon to start a suggestion thread for ME3? I definitely have a lot to say on the scanning resources mechanic. :lol

Kenaras

orson9999999 said:
OK, so it's not just me. Most of glitches I ran into could just be solved by hitting start and reloading. However, in the Thane mission if you run ahead you are stopped buy a guy in the room at the end of the hallway and given some renegade/paragon options. After I went through this my character just got stuck in a wall with Thane yelling at me to keep up, and the only thing I could do was exit out to the xbox menu.

This happened both times I tried it, so the last time I hung back and took my time, but when I got to that room the guy didn't stop me so I didn't have the chance for paragon/renegade points. I was able to proceed normally though.

I ran into that glitch too, but only the first time. The second time I hung back, and everything worked fine. I also got stuck in midair during one of the missions; was just running up some stairs at the time. That required a reload as well.

The worst glitch is probably during Tali's loyalty mission, but I didn't get hit with it.

Lakitu

st5fu
Zalasta said:
Is it too soon to start a suggestion thread for ME3? I definitely have a lot to say on the scanning resources mechanic. :lol

Hey, the sooner the better, I know it's a long shot but apparently Bioware are going to collate the feedback for ME 3, and seeing I know there's at least 1 Bioware employee on here, why not?

The idea of mining is fine but it should be automated. You get so many drones and you leave them orbiting planets. While the drones mine away, you can do missions. Chambers or Joker can let you know when drones are ready for pick up.

Dresden

Jamesfrom818 said:
The idea of mining is fine but it should be automated. You get so many drones and you leave them orbiting planets. While the drones mine away, you can do missions. Chambers or Joker can let you know when drones are ready for pick up.

This is something I can get behind.

Or just set up mining networks and make you check it every time you finish a mission. You have a network around Orsa? Go check it out. Just get to it, press A, collect loot, then move on and come back after another mission is done. Certainly more realistic than magically extracting rare minerals out of the planet with probes.

X26

Banned
If they left mining as is but let you buy/sell minerals in a sort of stock market setting with fluctuating prices on illium it would have made things much better. Getting a lot of mineral X but no mineral Y? Sell our X at a 2:1 rate for Y, for example.

Dresden said:
This is something I can get behind.

Or just set up mining networks and make you check it every time you finish a mission. You have a network around Orsa? Go check it out. Just get to it, press A, collect loot, then move on and come back after another mission is done. Certainly more realistic than magically extracting rare minerals out of the planet with probes.

In addition, it could work the same way gang wars worked in San Andreas. Pirates raid at fixed intervals. You have to fight them off in order to keep mining there. During this portion of the game, we control the Normandy like its a shmup.

Cep

Banned
X26 said:
If they left mining as is but let you buy/sell minerals in a sort of stock market setting with fluctuating prices on illium it would have made things much better. Getting a lot of mineral X but no mineral Y? Sell our X at a 2:1 rate for Y, for example.

Yeah, some sort of stock thing would have been interesting.

WaltJay

X26 said:

That would have been great. I would have traded everything for some iridium at one point!

Also, I just finished the game last night on Casual. I played it on that difficulty so I could just enjoy the story and get all but one of the achievements. I imported my ME2 save into a new game on Insanity to work on the last achievement.

My. God.

Talk about night and day. I couldn't even get past the first battle on the first planet with Jacob and Miranda. :lol :lol

Maybe I will import my ME1 character and pick a different class. Other classes like soldier seem to be better than Vanguard (my current class) for the higher difficulties.

Dresden

Jamesfrom818 said:
In addition, it could work the same way gang wars worked in San Andreas. Pirates raid at fixed intervals. You have to fight them off in order to keep mining there. During this portion of the game, we control the Normandy like its a shmup.

And for those portions, they can reuse Jade Empire's shooter minigame controls! Brilliant!

Maybe I will import my ME1 character and pick a different class. Other classes like soldier seem to be better than Vanguard (my current class) for the higher difficulties.

Not really, but to each his own. Vanguards are pretty amazing though.

jjasper

WaltJay said:
That would have been great. I would have traded everything for some iridium at one point!

Really? I think I had more iridium than anything. In terms of what was rare I would say Element Zero was the rarest followed by Platinum then Palladium and Iridium being the most common. As crappy was mining was I always got excited when I hit the a huge spike in Element Zero.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
And for those portions, they can reuse Jade Empire's shooter minigame controls! Brilliant!

Not really, but to each his own. Vanguards are pretty amazing though.

Yeah they really are, but understanding how the game works is paramount to using them effectively, so not so great for beginners.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Pankaks said:
This happened to quite a few people including myself, I did the same thing you did and just kicked Saren's ass again. Going from ME2 combat to ME1 combat is just night/day.
My roommate just wants to import his character from ME1 into 2 but can't figure out how to save after beating Saren. It just kicks him to the title screen. Is there something specific that you have to do?

Zalasta

Resources in ME2 is like credit in ME1. Abundant and eventually useless as you progress through the game. They kind of fixed the money problem by taking out the ability to sell, but now it is so scarce that you can't afford to buy research and upgrades without doing a lot of side missions. To save cash, I purchase just enough fuel to get out to the different systems one-way, then forcing the Normandy to use resource (which always seems to be iridium and palladium, the two most common types) on the trip back.

It's really a shame how little they did with the resources. Bioware could've gave us more technologies that would allow us to convert them to other types; or allow us to fill orders from NPC and exchange them for money; or even the ability to refine them into fuel or craft our own probes.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Zalasta said:
Resources in ME2 is like credit in ME1. Abundant and eventually useless as you progress through the game. They kind of fixed the money problem by taking out the ability to sell, but now it is so scarce that you can't afford to buy research and upgrades without doing a lot of side missions. To save cash, I purchase just enough fuel to get out to the different systems one-way, then forcing the Normandy to use resource (which always seems to be iridium and palladium, the two most common types) on the trip back.

It's really a shame how little they did with the resources. Bioware could've gave us more technologies that would allow us to convert them to other types; or allow us to fill orders from NPC and exchange them for money; or even the ability to refine them into fuel or craft our own probes.

Resources were nothing like credits for me. I had enough money to buy everything at every store I visited just to break those items down to omni-gel by the end of the first game(and I had so much omni-gel that I didn't actually have to play simon once for the entire second half of the game). By the time I completed the last loyalty quest in ME2, I didn't have enough resources (particularly platinum, between the sniper rifle upgrades for my infiltrator and wasting 50K on the med bay that I thought I needed) to buy the upgrades I had available. Sure there are more resources in the galaxy than you'll ever need. But you either have to pick and choose what upgrades you want to use your resources on or grind away for way too damned long scanning planets to actually see an excess.

Question regarding the save editor: can you get the weapons you've missed when you switch classes? I played as an Adept but I wanted to try out Infiltrator. Unfortunately, i had already beat the game, so I couldn't get the Widow for myself. Is there any way to modify the save file in order to get it?

CrookedRain said:
If you're playing on PC and don't want to bother with scanning for resources, just download a save game editor and give yourself resources. Then you can just check the planets only for anomalies.

http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?show=tutorials&tutorial=saveEdit

MrTroubleMaker posted a better solution on the last page. Easier then editing gamesaves every time you start a new game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19750103&postcount=13173

Zalasta

Archaix said:
Resources were nothing like credits for me. I had enough money to buy everything at every store I visited just to break those items down to omni-gel by the end of the first game(and I had so much omni-gel that I didn't actually have to play simon once for the entire second half of the game). By the time I completed the last loyalty quest in ME2, I didn't have enough resources (particularly platinum, between the sniper rifle upgrades for my infiltrator and wasting 50K on the med bay that I thought I needed) to buy the upgrades I had available. Sure there are more resources in the galaxy than you'll ever need. But you either have to pick and choose what upgrades you want to use your resources on or grind away for way too damned long scanning planets to actually see an excess.

I think you missed my point. I didn't say you can obtain them through the same way. The fact is they are both plentiful in their respective game but you can't really do much with them after a certain point. Wouldn't you think it'd be nice if you can convert/exchange those palladium for the platinum you need, instead of looking specifically for it planet by planet? I think using resource to research and upgrade tech is a great idea, but Bioware kind of shot itself in the foot by how the system was implemented.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Whew, just beat the game on insanity. What a rush.

owlbeak

Tips for recruiting Garrus on Insanity? It's all been easy until the drop ship comes and drops off guys after you close the shutters. Then we kill the batch from the drop ship and the guys come from downstairs and Garrus decides it's a good idea to just stand around and not get behind cover and gets his ass blown away in less than 3 minutes.

I can't kill the other dudes before he bites it. If he would stay behind cover it wouldn't be an issue, but his AI decides to just stand him in front of the windows all day FFS!!!!!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Zalasta said:
I think you missed my point. I didn't say you can obtain them through the same way. The fact is they are both plentiful in their respective game but you can't really do much with them after a certain point. Wouldn't you think it'd be nice if you can convert/exchange those palladium for the platinum you need, instead of looking specifically for it planet by planet? I think using resource to research and upgrade tech is a great idea, but Bioware kind of shot itself in the foot by how the system was implemented.

I disagree with the comparison because you couldn't not have an abundance of money in Mass Effect. You could trip over a dead body and find a hundred thousand credits in the first game. You had to work at a pain in the ass minigame to get at the plentiful resources in ME2.

It would have been nice if the resources were handled any competent or fun way. It's the worst decision in a game that is crawling with design decisions I wish they hadn't made.

Dresden

Horsebite said:
Tips for recruiting Garrus on Insanity? It's all been easy until the drop ship comes and drops off guys after you close the shutters. Then we kill the batch from the drop ship and the guys come from downstairs and Garrus decides it's a good idea to just stand around and not get behind cover and gets his ass blown away in less than 3 minutes.

I can't kill the other dudes before he bites it. If he would stay behind cover it wouldn't be an issue, but his AI decides to just stand him in front of the windows all day FFS!!!!!

Just camp the rear stairs, they'll crowd up there and you can burn them down as they come.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
cr_blah_blah said:

See, I thought their "edgy bitch" factor was deliberately transparent because Jack tries too hard. She was just supposed to be incredibly flawed, and someone who wants you to see her as a hardened survivor, but is really just psychologically desperate.

mrmyth

GuardianE said:
See, I thought their "edgy bitch" factor was deliberately transparent because Jack tries too hard. She was just supposed to be incredibly flawed, and someone who wants you to see her as a hardened survivor, but is really just psychologically desperate.

Yep, Jack is the epitome of trying too hard. The only thing that separates her from the average emo goth is her actual ability to fling multiple people across the room with her mind.

Am I missing something, or is the only way to get Singularity is if the player's character has it?

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
mrmyth said:
Am I missing something, or is the only way to get Singularity is if the player's character has it?
Yup, same with Charge, I think. Come to think of it, Singularity and Charge are the only class-exclusive abilities not used by enemies. Would have been cool to see enemies charging at you.

Oh yeah, adrenaline rush isn't used either, but I can understand that.

Dresden

I've always found it kind of sad, as an Engineer lover, that the class defining ability Engineers have is also shared by two other NPCs.

Arde5643

Dresden said:
I've always found it kind of sad, as an Engineer lover, that the class defining ability Engineers have is also shared by two other NPCs.
The drone's cooldown for the Engineer class is so freaking fast though.

You can effectively fire a drone, do overload, incinerate, AI hack while the drone is still alive distracting enemies.

The other two classes have to wait a long time to recharge the drone cooldown.

Cep said:
Yeah they really are, but understanding how the game works is paramount to using them effectively, so not so great for beginners.

I have finished the game as Vanguard, Infiltrator, Sentinel, and have played a few missions as a Soldier. Obviously playing Vanguard first will skew my opinion negatively, but I also played at a lower difficulty setting compared to the later runs. It's already clear Vanguard isn't in the top three of the classes and I highly doubt they are any better than Engineer or Adept. On paper, Engineer compares favorably to Sentinel (Tech Armor is great, but there are several "poor man's" versions of it obtainable through loyalty) and Adepts can do everything a Vanguard can and more except Charge and Shotgun, both of which are highly situational abilities. Not exactly what I would call amazing.

Erico said:
Yup, same with Charge, I think. Come to think of it, Singularity and Charge are the only class-exclusive abilities not used by enemies. Would have been cool to see enemies charging at you.

Oh yeah, adrenaline rush isn't used either, but I can understand that.
Tech Armor

Mr_Zombie

Dresden said:

But at the same time going on
Legion's
loyality mission as an Engineer, with Tali as the third party member, made the mission a lot easier. Constantly spamming AI Hacking on enemies and watching all of them killing each other :D

Dresden

MegaKungFuRadio said:
I have finished the game as Vanguard, Infiltrator, Sentinel, and have played a few missions as a Soldier. Obviously playing Vanguard first will skew my opinion negatively, but I also played at a lower difficulty setting compared to the later runs. It's already clear Vanguard isn't in the top three of the classes and I highly doubt they are any better than Engineer or Adept. On paper, Engineer compares favorably to Sentinel (Tech Armor is great, but there are several "poor man's" versions of it obtainable through loyalty) and Adepts can do everything a Vanguard can and more except Charge and Shotgun, both of which are highly situational abilities. Not exactly what I would call amazing.

Destroying every loyalty mission in ten minutes IS amazing. Skipping entire fights because you can charge across the map to avoid spawn traps is nice too.

I've beaten the game on Insanity with Engineer, Vanguard and Adept now. And out of the three, Engineer was the safest, the Adept had the best crowd control potential, and the Vanguard was, with the exception of a few setpieces, the fastest killer out of the three. Charge-shoot-melee WILL kill almost every non-elite enemy in the game. Charge from one enemy to another with almost no downtime means you'll never die and it's fun as hell too.

Cep

Banned
MegaKungFuRadio said:

My experience runs opposite of dresden's.

I have beaten the game as a Soldier, Vanguard, Sentinel and Infiltrator on insanity.

Vanguard, Infiltrator, Sentinel are the best classes in that order.

Vanguard the quickest, Infiltrator the safest and Sentinel the easiest (and the most diverse. Very fun class to use). Soldier was weird in that it could get the job done but was not all too exciting to use (vindicator aside).

The main reason that Vanguards perform so well is that Charge stops re-spawns, so you never fight anywhere close to the amount of enemies the other classes do. If this was not the case, Infiltrator would easily be the best class in the game, broken melee move or not.

Now if you do not know the game well enough, you do not know when and how to kill spawn-traps and this can cause you to be overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom