• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Arde5643 said:
Regarding adepts:
The adept's singularity and pull really trivialize a lot of the battles in the game as long as they don't involve Geth Prime, YMIR, or praetorian.

Battles where I have to bunker down and kill enemies one by one with other classes, the adept just effortlessly shut down the entire squad with singularity, pull, and warp.
It's insane how overpowered the adept is against most enemies in the game.

Pretty much. Adepts obliterate large groups of enemies effortlessly.

On the other hand, battles like the two YMIR mechs at the end of
Garrus
loyalty quest is suddenly much more difficult. God I hate that fight. :lol

edgefusion

John Harker said:
Did I accidently skip a scene or something, how is Joker walking?

Still early obviously, but combat sure is a bit weird. No weapons, armors, stats, health bar or really shield bar present will take awhile to get used to. Can't hear or anything either, and now there's ammo clips? All the RPG combat elements are almost totally stripped away. I don't like at least that I can't see my teammates health/armor

He's always been able to walk, he's just not very good at it.

SlickVic

Dresden said:
Interesting. The lengths to which people will go to challenge themselves...

Also, the Bioware forum is just full of trolls. Wow.

Yeah before release I was going there cuz I couldn't get enough of talking ME2. Now I just see a ton of haters on there, complaining about one thing or another. Some valid paints for sure but yeesh, too much negativity for me.

FrankT

EuropeOG said:
Best MOTHAFUCKING game I have played this generation.

Damn, give me some DLC already.

I'd probably have to agree. Before this I would likely say Bioshock, but it's very close for me.

Ptaaty

So I got all my characters, did the loyalties, thinking this was maybe 30%-50% of the game.

I completed the entire "end game" which is basically the story in easily under 2 hours. Did anyone else feel this game was short on main story?

I think the real problem is I thought the team building was mostly side missions...but I guess I missed a bunch of actual side missions

John Harker said:
Did I accidently skip a scene or something, how is Joker walking?

Still early obviously, but combat sure is a bit weird. No weapons, armors, stats, health bar or really shield bar present will take awhile to get used to. Can't hear or anything either, and now there's ammo clips? All the RPG combat elements are almost totally stripped away. I don't like at least that I can't see my teammates health/armor
I was confused by that at first, but then I remembered something Joker said in ME1 about it. It was something like,
"I can still walk enough to take a piss, but you won't ever see me dancing."

owlbeak

Ptaaty said:
So I got all my characters, did the loyalties, thinking this was maybe 30%-50% of the game.

I completed the entire "end game" which is basically the story in easily under 2 hours. Did anyone else feel this game was short on main story?

I think the real problem is I thought the team building was mostly side missions...but I guess I missed a bunch of actual side missions
There really aren't a whole lot of side missions. Maybe 1-3 per major outpost (Citaldel, Illium, and Omega). Unless you count the N7/anomaly missions, but those are REALLY short. Main story is really short, I agree. I was kinda disappointed. But I think you need to look at this game in its context as the middle chapter of a grander story.

markatisu

Jipan said:
Without spoiling anything, does the decision you made in the end of ME1
whether to save the council or or not and who you picked
play a big or a small role in this game? I only want a yes/no answer.

No and I was quite disappointed

D23

I did my first playthrough as a Vanguard. i was wondering what should i try next, Infiltrator or sentinel? im going to play it on hardcore.

Jipan said:
Without spoiling anything, does the decision you made in the end of ME1
whether to save the council or or not and who you picked
play a big or a small role in this game? I only want a yes/no answer.

Zero factor at all. ME2 essentially pisses on most of the decisions you made in ME1.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
crowphoenix said:
I was confused by that at first, but then I remembered something Joker said in ME1 about it. It was something like,
"I can still walk enough to take a piss, but you won't ever see me dancing."

ahh, gotcha. yea makes sense.

Man, this game is so close to being amazing but so many weird design choices. No experience at all for killing enemies? No looting, stats, GoW-style health system, lack of real equipment... combat is fun, but the game is so stripped clean and streamlined it's a little disappointing.

the graphics are VO and presentation are all killer tho

Mr_Zombie

I've asked this question before but it seems everyone just ignored me :(

Is there a way, through coalesced.ini editing or save editor, to give Shepard scars even though he's a Paragon? I hate that you can remove scars if you're Renegade and don't want them, yet the game doesn't allow you to keep them when you're a Paragon.

rhino4evr

pringles said:
I find Warp to be extremely useful.
What about shockwave? Is that a good skill I just unlocked it

I'm assuming singularity gets much more useful on level 3 and 4? At the moment it's Ok but enemies seem to dodge it easily once it's in place. So it only works on one person at a time

I also enjoy the pull/warp combo
have not figured a real use for push yet

Patryn

rhino4evr said:

I'm assuming singularity gets much more useful on level 3 and 4? At the moment it's Ok but enemies seem to dodge it easily once it's in place. So it only works on one person at a time

Improved Shockwave is really useful for taking out waves of husks, but you only encounter those maybe 5 or 6 times in the entire game.

Merguson

Banned
I was wondering, is there no way to have a play through where you experience the different choices from the first ME1? Say like new game+ you have the option of picking different choices so you can see how things would have been different from the default choices when you start a new character in ME2.

Just curious if there was any way to do this.

Patryn

Merguson said:
I was wondering, is there no way to have a play through where you experience the different choices from the first ME1? Say like new game+ you have the option of picking different choices so you can see how things would have been different from the default choices when you start a new character in ME2.

Just curious if there was any way to do this.

Barring importing a different ME1 character, no. Don't expect any official way to ever do this, either. I'm fairly certain Bioware would just rather you play through ME1 again. (Think about it: If Bioware released a way to manually set your character's choices, it would wholly and totally undermine the entire value of character importing).

If you're on PC, however, I anticipate a mod to do this very thing within the next few months. Until then, I recommend looking for ME1 save file archives, which should give you a range of available options.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Patryn said:
Barring importing a different ME1 character, no. Don't expect any official way to ever do this, either. I'm fairly certain Bioware would just rather you play through ME1 again. (Think about it: If Bioware released a way to manually set your character's choices, it would wholly and totally undermine the entire value of character importing).

If you're on PC, however, I anticipate a mod to do this very thing within the next few months. Until then, I recommend looking for ME1 save file archives, which should give you a range of available options.

I'm hoping after ME3 releases, they'll have a character creator. Seems like something they could charge 10 bucks for and get away with it.

Weenerz

Banned
WOW I had no idea Vanguard charging was so fucking fun looking. After I finish this playthrough, looks like I'm gonna be starting ALL over yet again :lol. I'll probably make it my Insanity run character.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
rhino4evr said:

Throw doesn't do much damage, but it has a very quick recharge and will get enemies out of your way. I only find it useful when I'm in pretty serious trouble and running from enemies that charge. I prefer it to shockwave just because I don't want to waste 3 points in pull to unlock that skill, to be honest. I like singularity more than pull because it stays active if an enemy happens to run near it, plus you don't end up with an angry Krogan falling on your face if you didn't manage to kill it in the air. Singularity also lasts much much longer.

The biggest problem with singularity is that it has a fairly narrow effect. It does level up significantly later on to where it's at least useful to mess with enemies coming down a narrow path or through a door. Early on you can still use it (like pull) to yank enemies out from behind cover.

Actually, throwing curveballs and hitting enemies behind cover is easily my favorite part of being an adept. If you haven't gotten the hang of that yet, you should. Aim above and to the outside of the cover and your shot will curve around the cover and hit them. Warp becomes your strongest weapon by far if you level it up all the way and start hitting enemies you can't even see yet.

rhino4evr

Archaix said:
Throw doesn't do much damage, but it has a very quick recharge and will get enemies out of your way. I only find it useful when I'm in pretty serious trouble and running from enemies that charge. I prefer it to shockwave just because I don't want to waste 3 points in pull to unlock that skill, to be honest. I like singularity more than pull because it stays active if an enemy happens to run near it, plus you don't end up with an angry Krogan falling on your face if you didn't manage to kill it in the air. Singularity also lasts much much longer.

The biggest problem with singularity is that it has a fairly narrow effect. It does level up significantly later on to where it's at least useful to mess with enemies coming down a narrow path or through a door. Early on you can still use it (like pull) to yank enemies out from behind cover.

Actually, throwing curveballs and hitting enemies behind cover is easily my favorite part of being an adept. If you haven't gotten the hang of that yet, you should. Aim above and to the outside of the cover and your shot will curve around the cover and hit them. Warp becomes your strongest weapon by far if you level it up all the way and start hitting enemies you can't even see yet.
Thanks do ANY of the biotic powers work on the larger enemies besides warp. The mechs walk right through my singularity. Does that change once I level it?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
rhino4evr said:
Thanks do ANY of the biotic powers work on the larger enemies besides warp. The mechs walk right through my singularity. Does that change once I level it?

No, that's the biggest weakness for an adept. Anything armored or shielded is pretty much invincible to you. You can get powers from the advanced training upgrade that will work against armor and shields, but nothing you start out with does. You have to use your squad or your shooting to take those down first.

Patryn

rhino4evr said:

Most biotic powers do not work on armor, or barely work at all. Warp is the most notable one that actually affects armor. Pay attention to what you're currently facing, and use the appropriate power.

It's why Adept is one of the hardest classes to play.

I think it's Bioware's attempt to balance the fact that most people used biotics in ME1. They buffed up the tech skills and nerfed the biotics in ME2.

Zeliard

chandoog said:
Eurogamer ran a pretty indepth technical analysis for both PC and Console versions of the game

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-mass-effect-2-article

Pretty sweet how both versions look so close in those comparisons.

One thing they didn't mention is that for the PC version, you're able to force a lot of anti-aliasing at a relatively small performance cost. This results in significantly better image quality and allows Bioware's art to truly shine.

Arde5643

rhino4evr said:
The adept is overpowered against most enemies in the game (regardless if they have protection or not), it's only against the YMIR, geth prime, and praetorian where you will have to start playing it as a shooter instead of an adept.

Patryn said:
Most biotic powers do not work on armor, or barely work at all. Warp is the most notable one that actually affects armor. Pay attention to what you're currently facing, and use the appropriate power.

It's why Adept is one of the hardest classes to play.

I think it's Bioware's attempt to balance the fact that most people used biotics in ME1. They buffed up the tech skills and nerfed the biotics in ME2.
I don't know man - for the tough armor, I prefer using singularity + warp ammo/tungsten ammo + heavy pistol since that's usually faster than me spamming warp and having to wait in cover every single time.

For most regular armored enemies, singularity + warp ammo/tungsten ammo + shuriken machine pistol does the job pretty well and pretty fast without me having to spend time warping or changing weapons.

Patryn

Arde5643 said:
The adept is overpowered against most enemies in the game (regardless if they have protection or not), it's only against the YMIR, geth prime, and praetorian where you will have to start playing it as a shooter instead of an adept.

I don't know man - for the tough armor, I prefer using singularity + warp ammo/tungsten ammo + heavy pistol since that's usually faster than me spamming warp and having to wait in cover every single time.

For most regular armored enemies, singularity + warp ammo/tungsten ammo + shuriken machine pistol does the job pretty well and pretty fast without me having to spend time warping or changing weapons.

I'll take your word for it. Haven't played an Adept, just going off what I've read.

GunFalcon

sorry for the noob question but where do I access the shuttle to get to the quarantine zone to find mordin?? I assume it was the same place where we left to find arch angel but I can't seem to find the right place.

The quarantine zone is directly across from where the Batarian is preaching anti-human stuff. You'll see a turian and a human girl talking in front of a door.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
K.Jack said:
$58 for the hoody? Shit I want it, but I have to pass.

Agreed, too rich for my blood.

But I still want it ;_;.

Cep

Banned
Patryn said:
I'll take your word for it. Haven't played an Adept, just going off what I've read.

I have, and while their CC is better on armored foes than you would think, on insanity, they are easily close to bottom of the barrel.

jabipun said:
starting a insane difficulty run

best class
please?

thanks.

Infiltrator
Sentinel
Vanguard*

In that order.

*If you have enough experience in the game and do not mind some frustration early on/against bosses, Vanguard is the best class in the game (well, Infiltrator is pretty close, if the spawns are ever fixed, then they will be on top).

is it me or is reave useless for a vanguard? I thought I would be able to cast reave and then charge in but that didnt work :lol Whats a great power for a vanguard? I unlocked them all.

Cep

Banned
GhostRidah said:
is it me or is reave useless for a vanguard? I thought I would be able to cast reave and then charge in but that didnt work :lol Whats a great power for a vanguard? I unlocked them all.

Reave is the best bonus skill in the game, but Vanguards need something passive as Charge should be your main skill.

So: Warp Ammo/ AP Ammo/ Fortification/ Geth Shields

Barrier and Charge do not play nice, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom