• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Nah, Reave is amazing for Vanguards. It fills up the only real hole they have in their skillset, which is a ranged debuff. There are going to be situations where you can't Charge-chain an entire group to death, which is where you pull out your pistol or assault rifle and Reave them to death.

The health bonus you get also translates into a bigger shield boost for four seconds after charging, too. All in all, a very useful ability. I used it over Fortification (cooldown is way too long) and Armor Piercing Ammo (great ability, but Inferno rounds are more fun to use).

Dresden said:
Nah, Reave is amazing for Vanguards. It fills up the only real hole they have in their skillset, which is a ranged debuff. There are going to be situations where you can't Charge-chain an entire group to death, which is where you pull out your pistol or assault rifle and Reave them to death.

The health bonus you get also translates into a bigger shield boost for four seconds after charging, too. All in all, a very useful ability. I used it over Fortification (cooldown is way too long) and Armor Piercing Ammo (great ability, but Inferno rounds are more fun to use).
I guess I will level it up and try it out, its only level 1. But yea I can already see now (on insane) I will need it for those times where there's just to many to charge in.

I finished Mass Effect 2 on Monday, so here are my thoughts. Hopefully not too long.

I played as an imported female Jessica Shepard (who's super hot, thank you very much), who was a Paragon millionnaire level 50+ in Mass Effect 1. I chose Soldier again, since that's the canonical choice. (I wish New Game+ in ME2 let me change classes.) My final playtime, on Normal, was 53 hours, and I probably died 10-15 times total. I don't think I ever got stuck on any part of the game (unlike in ME1, where I ran into some trouble with Benezia and a couple of other parts). I like to look around and smell the roses, so the 53 hours (which included every loyalty mission and probably 90% of the side quests at least) are probably more like 35 or 40 hours for most people accomplishing the same stuff.

GAMEPLAY: Well, it's hard to be objective about ME2's gameplay, because it's hard to separate the story and dialog from the gameplay; after all, you're always an active participant in the story, as opposed to it just happening in cutscenes. It's more than the sum of its parts, and all I know is I was really enthralled with this game for about 85% of it. So, the gameplay must be pretty damn awesome.

Trying to be as objective as possible, though, the parts I enjoyed most were (as usual) the dialog trees, the conversations, the character development, the moral choices. I enjoyed zipping around the galaxy, too, though said galaxy felt a bit empty compared to the first game. But the dialog and story development are really where it's at. No game that I've played delivers like this game on that front.

My only complaint in terms of the dialog part of this is that it's all a bit too straight-forward. There's no Charm/Intimidate statistic -- it's all about how Paragon/Renegade you are -- and neutral responses never lead anywhere good. Therefore, there's really no "skill" involved in the dialog. You can't talk someone down with actual reason or intimidation; simply put, if you've got a Blue dialog choice to use, it will succeed. If you got a Red, it will succeed. If you don't, it will fail. Simple -- a little too simple. Kind of like the game's myriad of fetch quests. It's not bad, but it can be made more sophisticated, like a more serious version of Monkey Island dialog fighting.

The 2nd biggest part of the game is, of course, the combat. This is undoubtedly a huge improvement over Mass Effect, though not in the way that I expected. Instead of trying to "fix" ME combat and inventory issues, they super-simplified them and/or threw them away to come up with something really streamlined. The result is pretty damn good but not quite as satisfying as a truly deep RPG combat system IMO. In fact, it's not very RPG-ish at all -- at least, not as a Soldier -- and this part is more similar to a 3rd-person shooter than any other genre. So the question is, does it work as a 3rd-person shooter? Yes. It's not up there with the best (Gears and Uncharted), but it is better than anything else I've played. Mechanically, it works well but could use more refinement (for instance, you should REALLY be able to vault over stuff without having to get into cover first). In terms of level design, it is unfortunately really very repetitive. It really is generally a series of rooms with convenient crates, with very little in the way of set pieces or dynamic changes in environments. I will say that there were 2 moments when ME2 transcended this -- the Archangel recruitment mission finale, and the Tali recruitment mission with the hazardous sun rays -- but this was the exception rather than the rule.

The inventory system has seriously been almost eliminated, which is good because it sucked in ME. I wanted to whine about this, but honestly ME2's system was just fine. A little more emphasis on loot probably wouldn't have hurt -- shiny new equipment is always fun in an RPG -- but this system worked really well.

What unequivocally sucked was how ME2 dealt with the stultifying Mako unexplored planet missions from ME1. They got rid of them in favor of a handful decent but really tiny side missions and a terrible planet scanning mini-game. Overall, this was still a *relative* positive, because you have to do a whole shitload less planet scanning than you had to do Mako bullshit, but I feel like this solution was a cop-out. After all, the Mako concept wasn't bad; it was the execution that sucked. Is the planet-scanning bad enough to mark the game down? Yes, but not by much. All told, you DO need to do at least a couple of hours of it, and a couple of hours of something not at all fun should not be in a game. Still, I'll take it given how good the rest of ME2 is. At least the results of planet scanning (the various upgrades) were worth it.

STORY/WRITING/ACTING: This game is truly the benchmark for writing and voice acting in video games. BioWare has always been great at this, but Mass Effect 2 really outdoes everything before it. I don't even know where to begin. The script for this game is huge, yet somehow every line is convincingly written. There is a ton of choices for what to say and what the other person might respond with, yet if you listed to the dialog, it flows perfectly. The dialog wheel wasn't invented by BioWare (Indigo Prophecy had the same idea before ME1), but it's implemented fantastically here. Given the grim subject matter, ME2 could easily have been depressing, but there's a ton of humor, too. My female Shepard was going to sex up Archangel, and the way he was uncomfortable with the idea was endearing and funny... but when Mordin (the Salarian doctor) offered to give me a range of ointments and sex videos, I just about died. (In the end, I elected to be just friends with Archangel. Didn't want to cheat on Liara. Ha.)

Every character is explored (if that's what you want). I feel like I really know Miranda, I really know Mordin, and I really know Archangel. There are no throwaways (like Garrus was in the first game). Even Grunt the Krogan was funny, like when he informed me that "we should probably get behind... stuff" when that elevator was coming down in the Thane recruitment mission. The loyalty missions were generally strong. Some were rather underwhelming, though. The Grunt mission was rather unconvincing, for example. And I really expected more from Subject Zero's background. But the others were just right, even Zaeed's.

To repeat what everyone else is saying, the way ME1 choices were reflected in ME2 was seriously awesome. Granted, the actual effects of your choices seemed somewhat minor (emails received, certain references, the Presidium conversations), but even that is kick-ass. And the choices made in ME2 are sure to have huge repercussions in ME3.

It's hard to levy any really damaging criticism against ME2 on the story/writing front. I'll list the few things that ground my gears. One, the story itself was disappointingly simplistic and also felt less epic than the first game's (and that game's story itself was also nothing special). It also felt rather unrealistic; the Council's lack of interest or surveillance as I waged this one-ship battle against the Collectors was unconvincing. Two, while it was emotionally affecting, the way the game starts an invisible timer if you choose to do a certain "wrong" decision in the mid-game (and it's NOT obvious it's the wrong decision) was a little frustrating. And finally, the chick voicing Miranda was bad. She sounded like she just wanted to go home. She's a Cerberus officer... not a robot.

But overall, ME2 is second to none in these regards.

GRAPHICS: Well, the frame rate has been fixed. Phew. Also, those weird annoying character self-shadows are pretty much gone. Overall, the game looks great. It's great technically in some areas, and in those areas where it's not, it cleverly uses lighting and backgrounds to cover it up and still look great.

All the characters look spectacular (interestingly... again except Miranda). I mean, their faces are just absolutely popping with detail. It's uncanny and, I think, unmatched. There is quite a bit of aliasing in the environments, though, and the textures are rather boring and repetitive, plus there's pretty much no physics. However, to cover this up, the film grain effect really masks the aliasing (well done, much better than in the first game); and the backgrounds make you not care about the boring crate next to you. The sights you see around you in Illium are just ridiculous. I felt like I was in the middle of Blade Runner. I just stood and stared. All the REALLY impressive stuff was away in the distance (not actually around me), but did I care? No! It looked spectacular.

MUSIC: I think stylistically it was pitch-perfect, but only one tune actually stood out and was memorable, and that was the club music in Afterlife on Omega. In the first game, there were several memorable tracks I still remember. So, this could have been even better, but it's not a detriment in any way.

REPLAY VALUE: Like I said, I am a sloooow player who likes to walk around everywhere, look, and talk to everyone. I did everything there was to do on Normal in 53 hours. I'm burnt out, but I can easily see New Game+ing it for a Renegade run sometime down the road, for another 30 hours. I am rather pissed I can't pick a different class with New Game+, however, so I'm stuck with Soldier if I want all the NG+ bonuses. However, as far as hour of enjoyable single-player gameplay, this game is as good as it gets. At the very least, you have to do it to see what happens when you handle different dialog situations differently.

GAMEPLAY: A-
STORY/WRITING/ACTING: A
GRAPHICS: A-
MUSIC: B+
VALUE: A
OVERALL: A

hermit7

Shit the
Collector Ship
on insanity is so hard. Only had 2 med-packs, and my crew was dying instantaneously. Finally after trying for like 30 minutes I finally skimped past.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:

I have only ever used Reave on all my characters, so I have not field tested anything else, good to know I made the right choice.

Just finished the game. All together my it took almost 26 hours to complete, that is with all loyalty missions and a lot of side missions complete as well. How some people are getting 40+ hours is beyond me, I certainly didn't rush through the game and I can't imagine there being that much else to do.

Overall the I'd say it was very, very goo,d although I did miss doing the odd planet mission like on the original it wasn't a massive loss. I liked the new characters and I think some were actually an improvement on those from the first game, however, I did struggle to care about a few of them. By the end I only really gave a toss about Miranda, Garrus, Mordin, Jacob and possibly Samara. I couldn't really have cared less about the others.

After I'd finished the game and started reading through some impressions by other people I was actually quite surprised that it was possible to
save all or even the majority of the team members. It seems that it is largely based on loyalty, which everyone except Thanos was, and upgrades, of which I had almost all. Therefore, that I lost so many of my team is confusing. I ended up with only Miranda, Mordin, Grunt, Legion and Zaheed surviving. Must be just bad leadership on my part, or maybe who you choose for the roles in the last mission has an even larger part to play in who survives.

Harry_Tequila said:
save all or even the majority of the team members. It seems that it is largely based on loyalty, which everyone except Thanos was, and upgrades, of which I had almost all. Therefore, that I lost so many of my team is confusing. I ended up with only Miranda, Mordin, Grunt, Legion and Zaheed surviving. Must be just bad leadership on my part, or maybe who you choose for the roles in the last mission has an even larger part to play in who survives.

The ship upgrades(guns, shields and armor), loyalty and picking the right people for the right jobs.

Arde5643

Patryn said:
I'll take your word for it. Haven't played an Adept, just going off what I've read.
There's a lot of things people don't know about the adept actually.

A lot of people back then were saying singularity was useless before they know it can actually stun protected enemies for 10-15+ seconds.

And someone actually found out that throw works pretty well for barriers - does less dmg than warp but due to the low cooldown, it might take barriers much faster combined with shooting.
I think from the official forum, heavy throw does about the same damage to barrier as unstable warp due to cooldown of warp.

Gonna test this out myself.

Arde5643

RedRedSuit said:
REPLAY VALUE: Like I said, I am a sloooow player who likes to walk around everywhere, look, and talk to everyone. I did everything there was to do on Normal in 53 hours. I'm burnt out, but I can easily see New Game+ing it for a Renegade run sometime down the road, for another 30 hours. I am rather pissed I can't pick a different class with New Game+, however, so I'm stuck with Soldier if I want all the NG+ bonuses. However, as far as hour of enjoyable single-player gameplay, this game is as good as it gets. At the very least, you have to do it to see what happens when you handle different dialog situations differently.
Don't use NG+, you get credit/resources/paragon/renegade bonus as well as 25% experience bonus if you start new.

The only thing you get from NG+ are the heavy weapons.

Lakitu

st5fu
40 hours for me is probably going to be the norm, anyway since I'm a slow-paced player. I'm 27 hours in on my second playthrough and I just did Miranda's loyalty mission (definitely one of my favourites of the game).

Arde5643 said:
Don't use NG+, you get credit/resources/paragon/renegade bonus as well as 25% experience bonus if you start new.

The only thing you get from NG+ are the heavy weapons.

But you get your full level + a bonus skill plus all your money plus heavy weapons with NG+, and 50,000 of each resource.

ME1 import is still better, you're saying?

Cep

Banned
RedRedSuit said:
But you get your full level + a bonus skill plus all your money plus heavy weapons with NG+, and 50,000 of each resource.

Yes, because your enemies scale to you, but you are lacking all the upgrades.

Makes you an unpleasant situation.

RdN

Dammit.. I got hit by the Grunt loyalty bug.. means that he's loyal, I have his second outfit but I can't put points on his Fortification skills (which I find very useful). Unfortunately, there's no fix for it. :(

Kenaras

Cep said:

My first attempt at Insanity was NG+ with my Vanguard. I just thought I sucked horribly until I tried Insanity without using NG+.

Seriously, the only reason to play NG+ is to challenge yourself. It's far, far more difficult than starting from level 1.

Wiggum2007

I'm sure my shitty tv speakers didn't help, but I think one thing that made some of the music less memorable is that so many of the tracks get drowned out by the super loud gunfire/combat noises, had to mess with the volume levels to get it just right. Overall I think ME1 had the better combat music, but ME2 had the better ambient-type music. Stuff like the track playing when you
board the Collector Ship
or the killer synth on Purgatory, I loved that shit.

The only thing it was missing was the amazing ME1 main menu/Vigil theme. As far as I am concerned that is the true Mass Effect theme song, and seeing that (along with M4 Part II) missing from the soundtrack broke my heart.

Fio

Here's something that will greatly enhance the experience for some people playing this game, unfortunately, PC only, sorry console guys.

That's a savegame editor, yes, you can cheat using it, but since pretty much everybody agrees that the mineral harvesting is a completely out of place aberration shoehorned into this amazing game, I don't consider 'tweaking up' your minerals a cheat, since scanning planets don't require any skill whatsoever from the player other than patience. I'm doing my second playthrough, I've just set all my minerals values to 999999 and it's so much better this way, I don't have to spend hours scanning planets to do upgrades. I can't recommend it enough, and honestly, I don't even consider this cheating, you're just bypassing a horrible flaw of the game's design.

Before you edit your files, backup them.

RdN

Just got trough the Collector's Ship on Insanity.. Man, I almost smashed my controller against the wall on the moving platforms.. Now I'll keep building my team.. Not looking forward to the Reaper IFF mission.

Nemesis_

The only thing it was missing was the amazing ME1 main menu/Vigil theme. As far as I am concerned that is the true Mass Effect theme song, and seeing that (along with M4 Part II) missing from the soundtrack broke my heart.

I am pretty sure I heard this theme at some point during the actual game. I can't remember when though and I know I'm not crazy!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Nemesis556 said:
I am pretty sure I heard this theme at some point during the actual game. I can't remember when though and I know I'm not crazy!

Uhhh not that I remember.

Maybe in Shepard's cabin, there is that little clock thing that plays ME1 music.

Cep

Banned
Pankaks said:
Uhhh not that I remember.

Maybe in Shepard's cabin, there is that little clock thing that plays ME1 music.

They use certain part of certain ME1 songs in the ME2 tracks.

May have been one of them.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I'm replaying insanity using an infiltrator for the first time, and the ability to go into bullet time whenever you scope is like a godsend to people with crappy (console) sniping skills like me. I'm really loving it. :lol I'm great with mouse+keyboard, though, I swear!

Wiggum2007

SenorDingDong said:
Isn't it played briefly when you meet
Ashley/Kaiden and Wrex
or am I confusing it with another track?

Oh snap you're right. Still severely underrepresented! And the lack of M4 Part II in the credits was criminal. ME1>ME2 for that sole reason. :p

Coxswain

Well, I just finished (well, "finished" - I beat the last boss, but still have a bunch of unfinished missions) my third Insanity run as a Vanguard. Got a "perfect" ending run after doing only six loyalty missions - I may have been able to pull it off with one or two fewer, but I had to do a couple to advance the plot because
I wanted Legion to be available for as many recruitment missions as possible
. Better than my Infiltrator, where
I picked a pretty poor five people to be loyal, and couldn't manage any fewer than two deaths

I should really probably go back and sew up all the unfinished bits of both those playthroughs, but this game has the awesome-slash-irritating property of making me really want to try playing another class by the time I'm 2/3 of the way through the plot. Sometimes I kind of wish you could play it as a 6-hour game the way you could with the first one. Either way though, I probably won't be getting all the way through anytime particularly soon.

Ephemeris

RedRedSuit said:

I noticed I carried over my normal weapons too. Should I restart (just got to Mordin) and play insanity by reimporting my Shepard? :lol

Ephemeris said:
I noticed I carried over my normal weapons too. Should I restart (just got to Mordin) and play insanity by reimporting my Shepard? :lol

Several people are telling me this. And several other people on another board (who all did NG+) are all saying how Insanity is really tough. Methinks reimporting the ME1 character is the way to go, especially since you can change your class and do different stuff.

Ephemeris

RedRedSuit said:
Several people are telling me this. And several other people on another board (who all did NG+) are all saying how Insanity is really tough. Methinks reimporting the ME1 character is the way to go, especially since you can change your class and do different stuff.

Yeah, I'm starting to think so too. I heard that reimporting was the way to go from day one, but figured I'd try a hand at NG+ since I assumed it would be a tad easier due to the fact I have all my skills ready to go. Being a level 30 off the bat and all.

Fio said:
Here's something that will greatly enhance the experience for some people playing this game, unfortunately, PC only, sorry console guys.

That's a savegame editor, yes, you can cheat using it, but since pretty much everybody agrees that the mineral harvesting is a completely out of place aberration shoehorned into this amazing game, I don't consider 'tweaking up' your minerals a cheat, since scanning planets don't require any skill whatsoever from the player other than patience. I'm doing my second playthrough, I've just set all my minerals values to 999999 and it's so much better this way, I don't have to spend hours scanning planets to do upgrades. I can't recommend it enough, and honestly, I don't even consider this cheating, you're just bypassing a horrible flaw of the game's design.

Before you edit your files, backup them.
Thank you for this link.

Scanning planets is so uninteresting. Although it did kinda feel like cheating when I was able to buy like a dozen upgrades right after I used it. Oh well. :D

big_z

is soldier class worth while in ME2? thats what i played as in the first game but this time around i find myself using the handgun shooting heads since aiming is pixel precise instead of sticky shooting. kinda makes the shotguns and rifle feel useless due to bullet spread. im very early in the game so im thinking of restarting but i dunno....

big_z said:
is soldier class worth while in ME2? thats what i played as in the first game but this time around i find myself using the handgun shooting heads since aiming is pixel precise instead of sticky shooting. kinda makes the shotguns and rifle feel useless due to bullet spread. im very early in the game so im thinking of restarting but i dunno....

I only played soldier once in ME1 and not at all in ME2. The way I see it you can shoot guns in lots of games, ME is about the Tech and Biotic abilities. And you wont lose out on much by going with an Adept in ME2. The class gets pistol and sub-machine gun from the start and later during a certain mission you can add the ability to carry either an assault rifle or sniper rifle as well. Not sure if you can choose shotgun as i just go for sniper everytime and haven't payed attention to it but you may be able to choose that too.

This applies to every class. Except soldier I would guess since you already have all of the weapons for use.

Soldier gets some kind of bullet time thing, which is probably a good ability, but other then that only has concussive shot. Concussive shot is kind of awkward to use since you either have to pause the game using the left shift key (or whatever it is for the 360) or one of the number keys on keyboard. Too weird to me to use a number key to shoot a gun. This might feel better with a controller though but I'm not sure how controllers are set up for using power.

The other classes are far more interesting to me. Sentinels with their tech armor and great mix of tech and biotic abilities. Adepts with singularity and outrageous biotic abilities. Infiltrators with their cloak and tech abilities. A soldier is just a soldier pretty much. And you have played plenty of games like that before.

big_z

later during a certain mission you can add the ability to carry either an assault rifle or sniper rifle as well. Not sure if you can choose shotgun as i just go for sniper everytime and haven't payed attention to it but you may be able to choose that too.

can anyone verify that the shotgun is also a choice?

wish i would have known about getting an additional weapon later on... sub and assault are too smilar and heavy i rarely use so if i can get the three main weapons i like with a different class i'll restart.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
big_z said:
can anyone verify that the shotgun is also a choice?

wish i would have known about getting an additional weapon later on... sub and assault are too smilar and heavy i rarely use so if i can get the three main weapons i like with a different class i'll restart.

Assuming he's talking about the choice I think he's talking about, then yeah, you'll be able to choose the claymore shotgun as well.

mikeGFG

Banned
big_z said:

Yes very worth while. The weapons are very specialized in ME2, certain weapons (and ammo-types) favor certain enemy defenses. Right out of the gate, the solider has every weapon (and you will be using all of them, trust), and can train every type of ammunition. Compared to the other classes, its almost unfair how versatile the Soldier is.

Build the right squad, and you'll be tearing shit apart.

big_z said:

Soldier class sucks on the basis that ME2 is boring as hell if you're not using tech/biotics along with your firearms.

I played as a soldier no Normal, and it was a total, total cakewalk. I never got stuck on anything in the entire game (unlike in ME1, where a couple of the fights were tough). There was a little challenge in the husk-a-thon in the penultimate story mission, but it was just a matter of being patient with all those Scions.

I have no frame of reference, but soldier seemed highly overpowered. I'll try playing as another class just to switch it up.

Suggestions on the best class for Insanity? What is easiest? What is most "fun"?

Bliddo

Crap.... my paragon meter is stuck :|
I keep receiving paragon points(more than 50 since I noticed), but it won't move from ~60%
And in the cat fight I sided with Miranda, so I need full paragon to win over Jack's loyalty

Cep

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Soldier class sucks on the basis that ME2 is boring as hell if you're not using tech/biotics along with your firearms.

I am going to have to disagree.

Combat holds off very well even in the absence of biotics/skills.

Besides soldiers can have enough skills, mine:

Reave + Concussive + Adrenaline Rush. Not to mention that the Vindicator is a beast.

54-46!

Bliddo said:
Crap.... my paragon meter is stuck :|
I keep receiving paragon points(more than 50 since I noticed), but it won't move from ~60%
And in the cat fight I sided with Miranda, so I need full paragon to win over Jack's loyalty
Paragon glitch is your friend.

derFeef

Rage. I got stuck in the air three times in a row now, had to restart the whole mission. Why bioware, why.

Cep said:
I am going to have to disagree.

Combat holds off very well even in the absence of biotics/skills.

Besides soldiers can have enough skills, mine:

Reave + Concussive + Adrenaline Rush. Not to mention that the Vindicator is a beast.

Soldier is fine, yep. I always think it is the best way to play ME2 because it fits Shepard the most.

Cep

Banned
WuselDusel said:
Rage. I got stuck in the air three times in a row now, had to restart the whole mission. Why bioware, why.

Soldier is fine, yep. I always think it is the best way to play ME2 because it fits Shepard the most.

I personally prefer the Sentinel/Infiltrator/Vanguard, but the soldier is a very good class.

Also, I think it fits default Shep the best. Custom Sheps can match whichever class.

Bliddo said:
Always save manually, and A LOT in a bioware game

General policy with Pc-like games and RPGs.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bliddo said:
Always save manually, and A LOT in a bioware game

haha, happened to be during Jacob's mission, the funny thing is it happened to all three party members simultaneously and we were able to run around a little bit but trying to run over the chasm's resulted in Shepard loosing his shield instantly, had to restart the mission eventually.

pringles

Cep said:

Hm that's unfortunate. But I really have to play NG+ to reach lvl30. I was 26 when I finished.

Meh, I'm not afraid a little difficulty. Game was too easy on Veteran so it'll be fun with a challenge.

BeeDog

Goddamn, the glitches in this game are starting to piss me off. I've lost lots of game time thanks to MOTHERFUCKING SHEPARD getting stuck in the environment for no fucking apparent reason. Bump into geometry, and you'll see your fucking character float up and get stuck. FUUUUU-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom