• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DY_nasty said:
How is Grunt poorly written?

He's a young, confused test tube baby/baddest mofo from the galaxy's baddest mufuckin race. It would have been very easy to make him a horrible, horrible character. I think he was done well.

Miranda though... I hate her.

Because he has nothing going on.

He is confused and feels like fighting things. This develops into knowing he must fight. He fights, and realises he likes to fight things.

He has no depth at all. No history. No stories. No past. No personalty beyond wanting to fight things. His mission is all about fighting things. The end.

Grunt is boring.

Cep

Banned
DY_nasty said:

He's a young, confused test tube baby/baddest mofo from the galaxy's baddest mufuckin race. It would have been very easy to make him a horrible, horrible character. I think he was done well.

Because they never took him beyond: "I am full of rage 'cuz I am a Krogan."

Had they actually filled him with content like they did for Mordin, then yeah, he would have been good.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
DY_nasty said:

Yea Grunt was well done for what he was.

Cep said:

Had they actually filled him with content like they did for Mordin, then yeah, he would have been good.

Mordin has had a life to make his background interesting, Grunt just came out of a tube.

Son of Godzilla said:
What the hell? Jacob is an awesome character. *SO* much better than that Carth doppleganger. He's not complicated, but so what. Cerberus is evil as fuck but they are the only option, and if all goes well we are gonna party on the citadel. That's awesome distilled.
To be honest I don't see how Jacob is any different from Kaiden. They are pretty much the same character with different bodies, voices and slightly different background stories.

Both are laid back. They have the same personality.

Both are biotics.

Both are Alliance, military types.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm sorry, but was there ever any Krogan to think outside of those lines?

Mordin go through great lengths to explain to you how
the Krogan should never have been taken off of their world. How exposing them to technology that great before they were ready essentially retarded their growth in every area. How they were too undeveloped as a species, and because they had been given so much before they were ready - they had to be put down

Every Krogan is a savage. There isn't a single Krogan scientist that the rest of the galaxy respects. They can't recite poetry without being ridiculed by everyone around. They can't even take up common, accepted jobs without being mocked and essentially exiled from the Krogan community as a whole.

I think many of you are going to the well and expecting to get milk.

You want a poorly done character? Miranda, Zaeed, Ashley/Kaiden.

pmj

Dark Octave said:
To be honest I don't see how Jacob is any different from Kaiden. They are pretty much the same character with different bodies, voices and slightly different background stories.

Both are biotics.

When Kaidan opens his mouth, no matter what he says (though he's probably whining about something) all I can think about is how much I want to punch him. And whoever at BioWare created him. And his voice actor.

Jacob I can tolerate, hell, even like at times. So he's OK, if a bit anonymous, and a million times better than Kaidan.

Cep

Banned
neojubei said:
Yea Grunt was well done for what he was.

Mordin has had a life to make his background interesting, Grunt just came out of a tube.

+A shit-ton of memories not his
+A naturally aggressive nature as a Krogan
+A general detachment form everything

Seriously, these all all grounds for a compelling character, that pathetic shell called Grunt did not even come close to realizing all that potential.

At the least, he could have told stories from the imprints and we could have expanded on the uneasiness he feels when he remembers being different races.

DY_nasty

Dark Octave said:

Both are biotics.

They're different in a lot of ways. Other than being human, biotic, and military, they have almost nothing in common.
Laughing Banana said:
No one seems to care to answer my question before -_-
Search is broken, care to repeat it?

dralla

DY_nasty said:
I'm sorry, but was there ever any Krogan to think outside of those lines?

Mordin go through great lengths to explain to you how
the Krogan should never have been taken off of their world. How exposing them to technology that great before they were ready essentially retarded their growth in every area. How they were too undeveloped as a species, and because they had been given so much before they were ready - they had to be put down

Every Krogan is a savage. There isn't a single Krogan scientist that the rest of the galaxy respects. They can't recite poetry without being ridiculed by everyone around. They can't even take up common, accepted jobs without being mocked and essentially exiled from the Krogan community as a whole.

I think many of you are going to the well and expecting to get milk.

You want a poorly done character? Miranda, Zaeed, Ashley/Kaiden.
apparently you didn't find the krogan/asari couple on Illium. :D

neojubei

Dark Octave said:

Both are biotics.

Nope. Nothing alike. They probably would not see eye to eye, since Jacob is working for cerberus, while Kaiden is loyal to the alliance.

Cep said:

Seriously, these all all grounds for a compelling character, that pathetic shell called Grunt did not even come close to realizing all that potential.

At the least, he could have told stories from the imprints and we could have expanded on the uneasiness he feels when he remembers being different races.

I always thought Grunt was looking for something to call his own instead of the memories he has in him. And I think those memories were just images to him without any substance.

Cep

Banned
neojubei said:
Nope. Nothing alike. They probably would not see eye to eye, since Jacob is working for cerberus, while Kaiden is loyal to the alliance.

Nope, extremely alike. Only difference is that Jacob is more aggressive.

DY_nasty

Cep said:

Seriously, these all all grounds for a compelling character, that pathetic shell called Grunt did not even come close to realizing all that potential
You can't say that someone isn't a good character Just because they don't turn into something you want them to be. Were you expecting him to become the first Krogan president or something?
Hell, he was bred to be a soldier - his creator says so himself. He wasn't even completed either. If anything, I wasn't prepared for him to go off declaring himself insufficient and weak because he was made of strengths that he deemed were not his own in some kind of abstract way.

pmj

Laughing Banana said:
No one seems to care to answer my question before -_-
And the question, which I found a couple of pages back, was this:
Laughing Banana said:
Just finished playing Normal with Infiltrator. I think I want to replay the game in Insanity as a Soldier... Any other classes aside from Infiltrator and Soldier does not interest me much.

Any recommended build + suggested extra power for an Insanity soldier would be appreciated :)

A question: I do not exactly understand the mechanic of Warp Ammo. For what type of protection it fares the best against? What is the damage calculation for this? Any answer for this would also be appreciated.

Also, is it impossible to pursue 'just friend' approach with a LI if you want to learn his/her complete backstory? I personally think it's lame that you must allude that you are interested romantically to a LI if you want to to know their entire background tales. As strange as this might seem--it's just a videogame after all--I am very uncomfortable making my Shepard pursue another LI when he is already committed to one (I am strange that way :lol )

Kinda wish they would opt to use relationship system like Persona 4 where you can continue cultivating relationship with a LI as just friends.

Anyways, any answer to my questions above would be very appreciated. Thanks, GAF.

Exactly how good Warp ammo is the game doesn't tell you. Maybe someone has figured it out from the PC version though. Here's what the game says:
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Warp_Ammo

Cep

Banned
DY_nasty said:
You can't say that someone isn't a good character Just because they don't turn into something you want them to be. Were you expecting him to become the first Krogan president or something?
Hell, he was bred to be a soldier - his creator says so himself. He wasn't even completed either. If anything, I wasn't prepared for him to go off declaring himself insufficient and weak because he was made of strengths that he deemed were not his own in some kind of abstract way.

No, I was just marveling on how easy people settle when they like a character.

Many of the arguments that are made about Jacob and Grunt can also be made(are actually made) for Miranda/Ashley/Kaiden.

DY_nasty

dralla said:
apparently you didn't find the krogan/asari couple on Illium. :D
I did. Thats why I brought it up.
Cep said:
Nope, extremely alike. Only difference is that Jacob is more aggressive.
So repressed memory, I don't want to talk too fast, I did it for a girl I loved, oh a strip club, we shouldnt talk about that because i'm sensitive to your feelings Kaiden is the same as what you want to know, lets get straight to the point, yeah i tapped that - and that bitch worked me over yo, hell yeah a strip club, we shouldn't talk about that because its none of your damned business, sir Jacob?

...naw, homie. I think you're just too busy hatin.

Edit: oh yeah, thats cool. Just sayin that every character isn't going to have some epic shit going on like Tali.

dralla

Kaiden is a better character the most people remember. If I remember correctly he was experimented on, exposed so eezo while in the womb, he also has older biotic implants which give him migraines. He's also more reserved than Jacob. He doesn't have a crazy back story but at least there's something there for the player to gravitate to.

RIP LT :[[[[[[

and generally speaking, the characters in ME2 are very limited in combat compared to ME1, only 3 powers per person. I think on a sub conscious level that affects how people feel about them. Like Tali in the first game, since you fight geth she's basically the best character to have in your squad since she can hack anything. You play with her a lot, here her converse with the 3rd character, so feel a little more connect to her. That's why she was so popular in ME1. All the characters were really useful, so if you found a good squad it's more likely to prefer them to the others.

In ME2 there's so many characters but they all feel similar in combat, you never really grow attached to any of them from a combat perspective.

Cep

Banned
dralla said:
Kaiden is a better character the most people remember. If I remember correctly he was experimented on, exposed so eezo while in the womb, he also has older biotic implants which give him migraines. He's also more reserved than Jacob. He doesn't have a crazy back story but at least there's something there for the player to gravitate to.

Thank you very much for making my point.

neojubei

DY_nasty said:

Pretty much. If Jacob was some Asari ninja assassin that likes to dine in the nude and howl at the moon from the window then he would be interesting so some people around here.

I'm not sure why anyone likes Thane other than he is an assassin.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
DY_nasty said:

yeah me too. dont know why i bothered trying to get into her pants. i am such a manwhore.

DY_nasty

dralla said:

Kaiden/Jacob are still better characters than Jack.

I think someone wanted to have a shocking, over the top human female character and got so worked up in the tattoos that they forgot to give her any kind of development. Her loyalty mission was just one big rolleyes moment for me.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Cep said:

yeah he such a huge step backwards from wrex.

DY_nasty

neojubei said:
Pretty much. If Jacob was some Asari ninja assassin that likes to dine in the nude and howl at the moon from the window then he would be interesting so some people around here.

I'm not sure why anyone likes Thane other than he is an assassin.
Because
dying
biotic lizard assassins
with Ricki Lake drama back home
are gangsta.

And Mordin
was a hyperactive ex-STG member who's been across the galaxy twice - of course he's going to have more to say than a guy who's just fallen out of a tube. If Grunt had come up for air, deciding between commandeering the ship and contemplating asari philosophies than I would've been immediately turned off.
He's from a simple warrior race who should never have left their homeworld yet - why should he be thinking outside of those lines?

dralla

DY_nasty said:

I think someone wanted to have a shocking, over the top human female character and got so worked up in the tattoos that they forgot to give her any kind of development. Her loyalty mission was just one big rolleyes moment for me.
she definitely lays the angry/bitterness on a little thick. the thing that bothered me the most with her is the fact that she called Miranda a 'cheerleader', don't know why but that annoyed me. But the worst is when
Miranda offers to lead the 2nd team during the suicide mission and she says IM NOT TAKING ORDERS FROM THE BITCH, or something alone those lines. you're likely about to die and she's still bringing up such bull shit
. I really liked her voice actor though, so I kept her around to here some of her commentary.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
DY_nasty said:

Agreed, I'm seriously considering
killing her off
for my perfect playthrough since she basically said
"I'm going to hunt down innocent people and kill them all for no real reason."
My paragon shep wouldn't allow that!

DY_nasty

dralla said:
she definitely lays the angry/bitterness on a little thick. the thing that bothered me the most with her is the fact that she called Miranda a 'cheerleader', don't know why but that annoyed me. But the worst is when
Miranda offers to lead the 2nd team during the suicide mission and she says IM NOT TAKING ORDERS FROM THE BITCH, or something alone those lines. you're likely about to die and she's still bringing up such bull shit
. I really liked her voice actor though, so I kept her around to here some of her commentary.
She's childish.

But thats about all I can say about her character. Even after the loyalty mission
she just seemed weaker... She had everything about who she was broken and laid before her, and instead of continuing on to build her character back up into something strong, they just took off and had some crappy over-dramatic explosion end any chance of their being anything good about her.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dresden said:
There's a foolproof way to kill off Jack, I think. Just don't upgrade the ship plating.

But wouldn't that
end up killing Tali?

dralla said:

and generally speaking, the characters in ME2 are very limited in combat compared to ME1, only 3 powers per person. I think on a sub conscious level that affects how people feel about them. Like Tali in the first game, since you fight geth she's basically the best character to have in your squad since she can hack anything. You play with her a lot, here her converse with the 3rd character, so feel a little more connect to her. That's why she was so popular in ME1. All the characters were really useful, so if you found a good squad it's more likely to prefer them to the others.

In ME2 there's so many characters but they all feel similar in combat, you never really grow attached to any of them from a combat perspective.
Kaiden had as much of an interesting background as anyone else. If I remember correctly, he also, killed his Turian teacher by breaking his neck after he used his biotic powers to slam him into a wall. I have to admit that I didn't use Kaiden after the first few missions but he was a cool, kick back guy who knew his place on the team.

What did Ashley do? She was on my squad from beginning to end, but she was basically a "take no shit bitch" who was a military brat. All we know about Liara is that she worked in mines for 100 years and her mom was kind of crazy.

Tali was from the Flotila where she did nothing up to that point in ME1.

Kaiden's background sits pretty well with the rest of the characters in the ME universe as far as depth and content.

Arde5643

I guess I'm probably weird in my squad's personality preference:

Truly likes and hopes to see them back as squaddies in ME3: Garrus, Tali, Mordin.

Likes but okay if they don't come back as squadmates in ME3: Jacob, Zaaed, Legion, Samara.

Meh - don't care one way or the other what happens to her: Miranda

Dissapointed w/ potential: Grunt, Jack, Thane

My disappointments with the trio are described below:

@ Grunt: here's an intelligent super soldier Krogan who wants to be ... a regular Krogan who craves for nothing else but to be powerful and strong? What a waste of an interesting character.
And he really had a great intro when he showed his intelligence as he faced down Shepard.
Grunt actually has an interesting personality, but it seems his ambition is very limited and after his loyalty quest, he turns into a boring Krogan. And that's what disappointed me so much with Grunt's potential to be a very interesting squadmate.

@ Jack: For all of her psychopathic tendencies and Xtremeness, Jack's probably the second most bland character in the game. Disappointing character and disappointing personality.

@ Thane: he seems cool at first, but I really find him creepy to talk with the further I befriend him. I actually prefer not to talk too much with him in subsequent playthroughs now.

@ Miranda: She's definitely bland - without any doubt she's the Carth/Kaiden of ME2.

Jacob, Zaaed, Legion, and Samara are all pretty solid and interesting characters who unfortunately lack the awesomeness of the trio of lovable aliens (Tali, Garrus, Mordin).
While I'm fine with them not being squadmates in ME3, I'd love to see where their stories take them after ME2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think my biggest issue with Jacob is that he makes no sense being on the mission. You want the best of the best on your team, he sticks out like a sore thumb. Miranda can get away with this because she has to keep an eye on you, but Jacob is just baggage she brought along. He's a pretty pathetic biotic and has no other outstanding capabilities. Oh wait he does have Alliance connections, but that isn't ever used in the story really. Why is he even on the team? Skill set/ability-wise he Legion would calculate him having the highest possibility of mortality on the mission.

Arde5643

Stallion Free said:
I think my biggest issue with Jacob is that he makes no sense being on the mission. You want the best of the best on your team, he sticks out like a sore thumb. Miranda can get away with this because she has to keep an eye on you, but Jacob is just baggage she brought along. He's a pretty pathetic biotic and has no other outstanding capabilities. Oh wait he does have Alliance connections, but that isn't ever used in the story really. Why is he even on the team? Skill set/ability-wise he Legion would calculate him having the highest possibility of mortality on the mission.
Combat-wise, Jacob definitely got shafted at least until he gets barrier which lets him be a bit more useful.

Story-wise, Jacob seems to have a lot of experience in covert and big military operations - like his example of the Batarian raid.
Other than that, I'm sure the Mass Galaxy game also provides more history of his accomplishments.

DY_nasty

I don't know what you guys wanted out of Grunt... The only reason Wrex was so good was because ME1 allowed for more party dialogue. They both say pretty much the same (awesome) things. Wrex wasn't even as interesting as Grunt really, he just got the opportunity to talk more shit (and be the answer to any fight in ME1).

Oh yeah, Jacob
saved the council before Shepard
. He's capable. :p

Dresden

Stallion Free said:

Story-wise, he's a badass soldier who saved the entire Citadel from a terrorist attack. Cerberus and the Illusive Man were impressed enough with him to offer him a position.

And Jacob really isn't that bad. Max out Squad Incendiary Ammo, his Health boost, and Barrier and he's quite good with the Eviscerator. It's just that unfortunately, Grunt just does the job better.

dralla

Dark Octave said:
Kaiden had as much of an interesting background as anyone else. If I remember correctly, he also, killed his Turian teacher by breaking his neck after he used his biotic powers to slam him into a wall. I have to admit that I didn't use Kaiden after the first few missions but he was a cool, kick back guy who knew his place on the team.

What did Ashley do? She was on my squad from beginning to end, but she was basically a "take no shit bitch" who was a military brat. All we know about Liara is that she worked in mines for 100 years and her mom was kind of crazy.

Tali was from the Flotila where she did nothing up to that point in ME1.

Kaiden's background sits pretty well with the rest of the characters in the ME universe as far as depth and content.
Ashley was the family oriented, religious type[brings up God at one point], and her grandfather? surrendered to aliens and was considered a coward, which is (maybe) her reason for hating aliens.

Tali tells you a lot about Quarians in general. How and why the live on the ships, how government works, everything with the geth, pilgrimage, ect. She had a lot to say but most of it wasn't specific to her.

Garrus was really good in ME1, a lot more interesting than 2. His story and Dr. "Heart" mission seem like a precursor to the loyalty missions in ME2.

Wrex is probably the most overrated character. He's very similar to all other Krogan. I think because the way he looks and his voice, he had a novelty-factor about him. He was just a memorable character. "Overrated" may not be the right word because I don't think many people consider him to be a great character, just a memorable one..which he is

Dresden

DY_nasty said:
I don't know what you guys wanted out of Grunt... The only reason Wrex was so good was because ME1 allowed for more party dialogue. They both say pretty much the same (awesome) things. Wrex wasn't even as interesting as Grunt really, he just got the opportunity to talk more shit (and be the answer to any fight in ME1).
I posted this earlier, because I agree with you:

He's a kid, I don't see the problem with that. I loved his sense of 'humor' ("you just go do your human thing, Shepard.") and the way he becomes devoted to you is pretty heartfelt. I mean, he basically acknowledges you as the baddest motherfucker in the galaxy ("Shepard has no equal. He is my battlemaster.") and follows you, unquestioning. Morals? As he says, he doesn't care about any of that, he acknowledges how 'simple' his rage is and asks you to channel that aggression into something that matters.

I don't know, I thought he was deeper than what most give him credit for. It's like one of his earlier dialogues where he says that those who died to perfect him were stronger than him, because they died in search of strength whereas he came by it unwillingly, was bred for it with no work on his part at all. He doesn't really have an origin and Shepard becomes that parent-figure for him.

Arde5643

Dresden said:
Story-wise, he's a badass soldier who saved the entire Citadel from a terrorist attack. Cerberus and the Illusive Man were impressed enough with him to offer him a position.

And Jacob really isn't that bad. Max out Squad Incendiary Ammo, his Health boost, and Barrier and he's quite good with the Eviscerator. It's just that unfortunately, Grunt just does the job better.
Jacob and Grunt are a pretty good combo if you want some meatshields in front of you. Barrier and fortification help to make them survive a bit longer and dole out more damage with the shotguns.

They make decent meatshield teammates for an adept at least. Especially with Jacob's pull.

If Jacob had the cyro ammo instead of incendiary ammo, he would've probably been a good alternate to Grunt.

I don't know how many times my infiltrator's ass had been saved by cyro ammo + heavy pistol against swarming husks.

Coxswain

Stallion Free said:
Jacob survived the brunt of the Geth attack on Eden Prime, and then went on to save the Citadel. He's on the team because he's Mr. Pibb to Shepard's Dr. Pepper; they're not real subtle about that.

DY_nasty

Dresden said:
I posted this earlier, because I agree with you:
Totally agree with you.

Not everyone is the daughter of an admiral in this game. Some people are just soldiers - you can't say that they're lesser characters because they're soldiers and not Ender. People may see a character and say "wow, they didn't blow me away like so and so" but thats got nothing to do with the build up of a character. Thane, for example, is a shitty, cliche character that was pretty much put out there to make people go "wow! look at how awesome the biotic lizard assassin is!" Jack is the best example of this. She's out there just for shock value and the chance that they have to actually make something out of her, they shirk it. She's the worst character in the squad, followed by Zaeed.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Arde5643 said:
Story-wise, Jacob seems to have a lot of experience in covert and big military operations - like his example of the Batarian raid.
Other than that, I'm sure the Mass Galaxy game also provides more history of his accomplishments.

There's the issue exactly. Bioware forgot to go into all that "experience" of his. And wasn't Miranda part of the Citadel event? If so I guess the two of them put together makes one whole character... sort of. It's as if Miranda was one character, but they wanted the number higher for the back of the box so they cut her in half and Jacob was born of it.

Wrex did not say the same things as Grunt. Wrex was intelligent and showed that krogan as a species are intelligent. They're smart, they just don't express their intelligence with fancy words. They keep talk simple. That's why Wrex was great. Talking to him expressed a lot of things.

Grunt is just a baby who makes "LOL SMASH" jokes. Saying, "well he's meant to be a child [terrible character]" doesn't excuse him from being terrible.

PSGames

I'm surprised about all the Jack hate. To me she's by far the most compelling character. Never a dull moment when she's around :lol

Plus her shockwave thing kicks ass.

DY_nasty

EmCeeGramr said:
Wrex did not say the same things as Grunt. Wrex was intelligent and showed that krogan as a species are intelligent. They're smart, they just don't express their intelligence with fancy words. They keep talk simple.

Grunt is just a baby who makes "LOL SMASH" jokes. Saying, "well he's meant to be a child [terrible character]" doesn't excuse him from being terrible.
Grunt says the same stuff as Wrex plenty of times - just not all the time. He's a kid, most of the times he'd rather talk about stuff that'd make him happy like putting his finger through a salarian. He's just as intelligent as Wrex.

Most of ME1's characters were meant to tell about an entire race anyways. Hell, Tali would spout shit to say about the Flotilla non-stop, but you'd have to go through half an hour of the shit before you got to anything that wasn't about the quarians, geth, the normandy, or her pilgrimage. Wrex was the same way. All he did was introduce you to the basic culture of the Krogans while giving you a couple of tidbits about himself or his stories about being a merc in between. I'll even go so far as to say that Wrex was developed more as a character in ME2 than he was in ME1.
PSGames said:
I'm surprised about all the Jack hate. To me she's by far the most compelling character. Never a dull moment when she's around :lol

Plus her shockwave thing kicks ass.
Hey loyalty mission was a joke and did more to ruin her as a character than anything else. Anything good that I had to say about her died after that.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't mind most the cast, but it's not like I really cared for most of them in ME1. In fact I really didn't care at all for Tali--I never even used her, though I imagined the Floutilla to be different.

Finding out about the different perspectives in ME1 was fun, but I guess they said screw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom