• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
DY_nasty said:
He's just as intelligent as Wrex.
That's just a lie. Wrex is probably smarter than 90% of the people in the galaxy. Grunt is just... a grunt. He's not smart.

Wrex would tell you about his home life and his mercenary jobs, things that affected him as a person. Grunt talked about the tank and pictures. Yes, that's what he would talk about, but they did it in a shitty way that was boring.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who liked Samara? Her backstory was lacking, but I liked how she was nominally paragon but mainly solved issues with the "kill everyone" option. I wouldn't say she was a renegade, but rather a take-no-shit-paragon.

Edit: I also like paladin-y characters, so I guess that's it.

careksims

Jirotrom said:
Is there any real point toplaying through the first game first... does it truly effect the experience in the second game?

I say yes. There's a lot of things that this game refers to in the 1st game like the people, missions, and choices you make. A lot of it makes me smile. I can't consider this a stand-alone sequel. The impact won't be as great if you just jump in the middle.

EmCeeGramr said:
That's just a lie. Wrex is probably smarter than 90% of the people in the galaxy. Grunt is just... a grunt. He's not smart.

Wrex would tell you about his home life and his mercenary jobs, things that affected him as a person. Grunt talked about the tank and pictures. Yes, that's what he would talk about, but they did it in a shitty way that was boring.
:lol I say he was pretty intelligent considering he was just born yesterday. To be honest, I wasn't expecting him to be as opinionated and strong willed as he was. He knew what was going on and was wise to the world the second he jumped out of the tank.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
EmCeeGramr said:

All you just said was that they both speak of their past experiences.

Grunt says multiple times that he was supposed to follow certain paths and imprints left by his creator and how he deviated from those guidelines all while laughing at his 'weak' creator. He spends a good amount of time (before his loyalty mission) going on about what he is - and he doesn't like philosophizing, it goes against everything that he, and his race, is.

If you guys say that certain characters don't entertain you, then you'd be correct. If you say that they're aren't full, well-built characters, then you'd be wrong.

Dresden

It also doesn't help that Wrex is a visionary and Grunt is, well, a grunt. Urdnot Wrex is a total fucking badass biotic warrior mercenary who united the Krogan. It's hard to match up to that in a single game.

DY_nasty

Erico said:
Am I the only one who liked Samara? Her backstory was lacking, but I liked how she was nominally paragon but mainly solved issues with the "kill everyone" option. I wouldn't say she was a renegade, but rather a take-no-shit-paragon.

Edit: I also like paladin-y characters, so I guess that's it.

I didn't like Samara at first, but later on she gets very interesting. The backstory between her and
Nihlus
really caught me off guard.

DY_nasty said:

Grunt says multiple times that he was supposed to follow certain paths and imprints left by his creator and how he deviated from those guidelines all while laughing at his 'weak' creator. He spends a good amount of time (before his loyalty mission) going on about what he is - and he doesn't like philosophizing, it goes against everything that he, and his race, is.

If you guys say that certain characters don't entertain you, then you'd be correct. If you say that they're aren't full, well-built characters, then you'd be wrong.

Wrex philosophized, and he was ten times the krogan an imposter like Grunt could ever be.

DY_nasty said:

I was telling you how Wrex wasn't there to tell you about krogan. Heck, Liara and Tali are the only characters who fit that description, Wrex and Garrus are the total opposite.

Dresden said:
It also doesn't help that Wrex is a visionary and Grunt is, well, a grunt. Urdnot Wrex is a total fucking badass biotic warrior mercenary who united the Krogan. It's hard to match up to that in a single game.
Which brings up another point. I'm glad they didn't pull a Tekken and make the next version of X character a carbon copy of the last, gameplay wise. Wrex was a biotic and Grunt is a soldier.

DY_nasty said:
I didn't like Samara at first, but later on she gets very interesting. The backstory between her and
Nihlus
really caught me off guard.
Yeah, she dropped the dirt on him.

Lakitu

st5fu
The only character I genuinely dislike is Jack -- you can see potentially there may be a soft spot there but she's too far gone, she's cold as ice, and at times is a complete bitch. You can't change her. Well I couldn't, and I didn't romance her, I don't know if romancing her changes her a bit.

DY_nasty

EmCeeGramr said:
Wrex philosophized, and he was ten times the krogan an imposter like Grunt could ever be.
He did, but really only to talk shit about how dumb and ignorant other races are to the Krogan as a whole. He never questioned self or anything like that. Hell, he does the exact same thing as Grunt does by telling Shepard that he'll follow him because its sure to lead to a good fight. As a matter of fact, he flies off the handle when confronted with the biggest dilemna, one that Grunt immediately dismisses as beyond his realm of concern.

Wrex kicked ass, yeah. He talked a lot of shit, that too - but ME1 provided the squad with many, many more dialogue opportunities. Shit, I don't even know what Garrus thinks of the cold in ME2 - in ME1, he wouldn't shut up about it.

Wrex got more character development in 30 minutes of ME2 than he did in just about all of ME1.
EmCeeGramr said:
I was telling you how Wrex wasn't there to tell you about krogan. Heck, Liara and Tali are the only characters who fit that description, Wrex and Garrus are the total opposite.
Wrex was there to tell you about the Krogan. Just as Tali was there to tell you of the Quarians and Geth. Like Liara was there to tell you of the Protheans history, and the Asari.

Garrus is the only alien who really didn't go on extended rants about the history of his people as an introduction as to who they are.

DY_nasty said:
He did, but really only to talk shit about how dumb and ignorant other races are to the Krogan as a whole. He never questioned self or anything like that. Hell, he does the exact same thing as Grunt does by telling Shepard that he'll follow him because its sure to lead to a good fight. As a matter of fact, he flies off the handle when confronted with the biggest dilemna, one that Grunt immediately dismisses as beyond his realm of concern.

Wrex kicked ass, yeah. He talked a lot of shit, that too - but ME1 provided the squad with many, many more dialogue opportunities. Shit, I don't even know what Garrus thinks of the cold in ME2 - in ME1, he wouldn't shut up about it.

Wrex got more character development in 30 minutes of ME2 than he did in just about all of ME1.

Wrex questioned a lot of shit in ME1. About the krogan, about his own purpose and whether or not he should help them, about his connection to his family. ME2 glossed all over that and said, "well, he's working hard."

Grunt joined because "fight good."
Wrex joined because "there's a storm coming," and he respects Shepard and wants to be a part of it.

ME2 dumbed Wrex down, and you did not pay attention to him or keep him around to listen to him in ME1 if you think otherwise.

Wrex was there to tell you about the Krogan. Just as Tali was there to tell you of the Quarians and Geth. Like Liara was there to tell you of the Protheans history, and the Asari.

Except Wrex didn't tell you shit about the krogan. He told you that the genophage sucked but didn't tell you anything about it. If you asked him about the other krogan he said they were all gone, too bad so sad, who cares, he can't give a shit about them anymore. He never talked about their culture anywhere near Liara or Tali did for theirs.

Seriously, did you talk to Wrex at all in ME1?

Lakitu said:
The only character I genuinely dislike is Jack -- you can see potentially there may be a soft spot there but she's too far gone, she's cold as ice, and at times is a complete bitch. You can't change her. Well I couldn't, and I didn't romance her, I don't know if romancing her changes her a bit.

I had her crying her eyes out and wanting a lovey dovey shag :D

DY_nasty

EmCeeGramr said:
Wrex questioned a lot of shit in ME1. About the krogan, about his own purpose and whether or not he should help them, about his connection to his family. ME2 glossed all over that and said, "well, he's working hard."

Grunt joined because "fight good."
Wrex joined because "there's a storm coming," and he respects Shepard and wants to be a part of it.

ME2 dumbed Wrex down, and you did not pay attention to him or keep him around to listen to him in ME1 if you think otherwise.
Another alien with mommy/daddy issues - I'm sorry, but thats the second most occurring theme in Mass Effect. Also, please explain to me how the hell Wrex 'respects' Shepard at first and why he joins? I want to hear this, because its pretty clear until that until much later in the game, he's simply just along for the ride and likes fighting too much to get off. Wrex doesn't question anything - he explains, when he feels like it.

In ME2 you learn more about him and how strong of a leader he is than ever in ME1. Shit, I don't think I'm the only one who heard him talk about himself as a clan leader in ME1 and said "lol, so Wrex had a couple of Krogan here and there. w/e"

Dresden

EmCeeGramr said:
Except Wrex didn't tell you shit about the krogan. He told you that the genophage sucked but didn't tell you anything about it. If you asked him about the other krogan he said they were all gone, too bad so sad, who cares, he can't give a shit about them anymore. He never talked about their culture anywhere near Liara or Tali did for theirs.

Seriously, did you talk to Wrex at all in ME1?

Did you get his family armor? He talks about how he ended up killing his father because he was trying to help the Krogan and his father didn't approve of it.

DY_nasty

Dresden said:
Did you get his family armor? He talks about how he ended up killing his father because he was trying to help the Krogan and his father didn't approve of it.
Not just that part. He busts everyone's ass plenty of times for assuming that Krogan are alike and devoid of any separate cultures. His whole thing is "I'm a badass Krogan, but the Krogan are so much more than that.

My point is that Grunt carries a similar, but more ranging theme. "I'm a badass Krogan, and I know there's more to it than that, (after loyalty mission) but I'll worry about all that later because I'm still young and have plenty off ass to kick before I need to worry about that again."

DY_nasty said:
Also, please explain to me how the hell Wrex 'respects' Shepard at first and why he joins? I want to hear this, because its pretty clear until that until much later in the game, he's simply just along for the ride and likes fighting too much to get off. Wrex doesn't question anything - he explains, when he feels like it.
I took down Fist before I talked to Wrex, and he joined me out of respect for how I handled it.

Dresden said:
That's exactly what I was talking about. He gave up on the krogan because of that. ME2 just skipped over that little detail and assumes that he just went back to Tuchanka despite how he gave up on his people and swore to never return to Tuchanka. They needed a reason for Wrex to be gone, so they glossed over it.

DY_nasty said:
My point is that Grunt carries a similar, but more ranging theme. "I'm a badass Krogan, and I know there's more to it than that, (after loyalty mission) but I'll worry about all that later because I'm still young and have plenty off ass to kick before I need to worry about that again."

Except after the loyalty mission, he acts like killing is the answer. That's Grunt: "I like to kill."

*contacts blackace*

Wow, the makers of the game must be fans of BSG, I've spent half the game wondering who the hell was voicing EDI, because she sounds so familiar, I didnt know it was Traicia Helfer! and then I was surprised to hear Michael Hogans recognisable voice in a minor role.

I just read Claudia Black is in it too! Bioware has awesome taste.

Also, someone mentioned how Jacob is always asserting his douchebag opinion in the briefing room after every other mission, yeah just saw a healthy dose of that when he was being a dick to Thane. Ok, so not only are you incredibly boring, you're a judgemental prick too. Good to know.

DY_nasty

EmCeeGramr said:
I took down Fist before I talked to Wrex, and he joined me out of respect for how I handled it.

That's exactly what I was talking about. He gave up on the krogan because of that. ME2 just skipped over that little detail and assumes that he just went back to Tuchanka despite how he gave up on his people.

Except after the loyalty mission, he acts like killing is the answer. That's Grunt: "I like to kill."

*contacts blackace*
1) No matter how you look at Wrex's joining your group, its weak. And I like Wrex.
2) After seeing how Saren intended to turn the Krogan into his own personal army, it stirred up a lot of shit in Wrex - Apparently he cared again. If that isn't easy to see then stick to Star Ocean 4 where things are spell out a little better, k?
3) After the loyalty mission, the confused, aimless, baby meant for greatness is given purpose. At least a temporary one. And he isn't forced to keep contemplating what he is - exactly what his race does NOT do.

4) Contact blackace, and tell him that I found a Patrick Ewing jersey from his Seattle days - and that he can't have it. Its mine. :p

DY_nasty said:
2) After seeing how Saren intended to turn the Krogan into his own personal army, it stirred up a lot of shit in Wrex - Apparently he cared again. If that isn't easy to see then stick to Star Ocean 4 where things are spell out a little better, k?

Of course it did. It was terrible, but it gave him a glimmer of hope. But he had given up on the krogan as a culture before that, and afterwards the game just assumes that Saren's hiring of the krogan somehow controlled them (even though it had only been a few years out of over a thousand) and his defeat made Wrex care again, even though they never communicated that to you.

Also, I don't buy JRPGs and never have, so I leave the animu to your expertise since you apparently know so much about them.

DY_nasty said:
3) After the loyalty mission, the confused, aimless, baby meant for greatness is given purpose. At least a temporary one. And he isn't forced to keep contemplating what he is - exactly what his race does NOT do.

He was given purpose when he woke up: kill things.
The loyalty mission told him that his purpose was to kill things.
Absolutely nothing changed, except he realized that he was really supposed to kill things and it wasn't just Okeer.

Accepting Okeer's lie that krogan aren't meant to contemplate (which is exactly what ruined them, and Wrex's rejection of that is going to save their species) is going to send Grunt down a path of useless violence that will make him no greater than any other tank-bred grunt. His "pure kroganness" is a lie and he needed to see through that; instead he got an ego boost, which for a thick-headed baby might be alright but for an adult will be suicide.

DY_nasty

EmCeeGramr said:
Of course it did. It was terrible, but it gave him a glimmer of hope. But he had given up on the krogan as a culture before that, and afterwards the game just assumes that Saren's hiring of the krogan somehow controlled them and made Wrex care again, even though they never communicated that to you.

Also, I don't buy JRPGs and never have, so I leave the animu to your expertise since you apparently no so much about them.

He was given purpose when he woke up: kill things.
The loyalty mission told him that his purpose was to kill things.
Absolutely nothing changed, except he realized that he was really supposed to kill things and it wasn't just Okeer.

Accepting Okeer's lie that krogan aren't meant to contemplate (which is exactly what ruined them, and Wrex's rejection of that is going to save their species) is going to send Grunt down a path of useless violence that will make him no greater than any other tank-bred grunt.
Saren's hiring of Krogan isn't what pissed Wrex off. It was his breeding/cloning of them that sent Wrex over the deep end.

And with that second note, its clear that you just didn't read that much into Grunt's story one way or the other. When he woke up and was told to kill stuff, it was okay. It was a temporary alleviation of stress but he was still aimless. As you talk to Grunt more, he lets you know that its exactly that, the aimlessness, thats driving him crazy. It caused him to think, to wonder, and to question himself and everything around him. When you give him a real purpose (the loyalty mission) he sees that he's not isolated and alone. He sees that its perfectly fine to be just a soldier for the time being, and that whatever lies in his future can be reached - in the future. And he no longer has to go on doing things that no Krogan is truly ready to do, let alone someone who was born yesterday.

HOWEVER, if you want to see that as Grunt wants to: Fight. Grunt gets to: Fight. Then go right ahead.

DY_nasty said:
Saren's hiring of Krogan isn't what pissed Wrex off. It was his breeding/cloning of them that sent Wrex over the deep end.

I was talking about what Wrex tells you in ME2, not his anger in ME1.

And you're reading terrible amounts of bullshit into Grunt. :lol

He wanted a purpose, and his purpose was to kill. That was Grunt: "I like to kill things." A walking gun would have served the same purpose. I saw people who assumed the whole loyalty mission was meant to be comic relief, that's how simplistic it was.

DY_nasty

EmCeeGramr said:
I was talking about what Wrex tells you in ME2, not his anger in ME1.

And you're reading terrible amounts of bullshit into Grunt. :lol

He wanted a purpose, and his purpose was to kill. That was Grunt: "I like to kill things." A walking gun would have served the same purpose. I saw people who assumed the whole loyalty mission was meant to be comic relief, that's how simplistic it was.
And most of those people sent Thane
into a vent

But I guess those are just the sides then. Those who see Kill/Yay Killing and those who see I'll Kill, because this is what I am. And thats all, right?/Thats for another day. Until then, killing is kind of fun

Arde5643

EmCeeGramr said:

Grunt is actually quite intelligent for a krogan - his first meeting with shepard, his thoughts, all belie an intelligent krogan.

My problem is that Grunt's motivation is very shallow - he just wants to be like the other krogan despite all of his intelligence.

Grunt basically wants to be the stereotypical krogan that Wrex is so tired of.

Cep

Banned
Arde5643 said:
Grunt is actually quite intelligent for a krogan - his first meeting with shepard, his th oughts, all belie an intelligent krogan.

My problem is that Grunt's motivation is very shallow - he just wants to be like the other krogan despite all of his intelligence.

And this would have been fine. Had the writers put in the effort.

And I agree that Grunt is pretty intelligent, sure does not show it often though.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Re: best advanced weapon training for a sentinel

i went with sniper rifle since i wanted a reliable long range weapon. but i guess assault rifle isnt a bad option either.

natkingcoleslaw

Neo Member
Cep said:
And this would have been fine. Had the writers put in the effort.

Grunt is actually quite intelligent for a krogan - his first meeting with shepard, his th oughts, all belie an intelligent krogan.

he is a test tube krogan. didnt expect much from him anyway. didnt expect much from any of the characters. there were simply too many to expect any of them to have depth.

PARANO1A

So I'm up to the part where you
land on the collector ship after the fake distress beacon
and my 360 is starting to freeze on me. It's happened about 6-7 times now in the same section.

Is this common or should I be worried?

Edit: oh you prick. RROD :( BUT I LOVE THE GAME SO MUCH. WHY??

Arde5643

natkingcoleslaw said:
Re: best advanced weapon training for a sentinel

i went with sniper rifle since i wanted a reliable long range weapon. but i guess assault rifle isnt a bad option either.
Assault rifles usually are the best option for the non-soldier classes since most of the time the power dependent classes have to enter the fray in order to use their powers effectively.

I can see engineers with sniper rifles (combat drone stuns or distracts powerful bosses even from far away allowing you time to take your shots) or adepts might even be able to use shotguns a bit more effectively than they do with sniper rifles (singularity stun or pull at close range with shotgun at point blank range can be pretty effective).
Sentinels with shotguns can also do quite some damage since tech armor allows them to close in and stun the opponents should things get hairy.

Assault rifles usually are the default best choice though - probably not the most fun, but it's the most optimal for the power dependent classes.

cresto

Has there been any posting about which squad members best compliment the class you are? I'm going back through the game as a sentinel (started with vangaurd) and want to know who will help me out the most.

Dries

Why all the Miranda hate? She's got a lot of baggage and that's really fleshed out in het loyalty mission. I think she's interesting.
But the best character has to be Mordin, yeah. I think a lot of people think that.

Has anyone considered the next DLC character rumored to be Kasumi - the thief mentioned on Illium?

How the hell is she going to fit into the overall story? That and the hover Mako tank? I wonder if this content is post - raid on Collector base. Saying that, I never really had any use for Zaeed at all. More of a Garrus for a right hand guy type of person.

Reference link.

Coxswain

ergo said:
Has there been any posting about which squad members best compliment the class you are? I'm going back through the game as a sentinel (started with vangaurd) and want to know who will help me out the most.
Which squadmates are best is more dependent on what you'll be fighting than just what your class is. Since it's your second time through, you'll have a pretty good idea of what you'll be facing, so just bring whichever two will be more helpful for taking down Shields, Barriers, Armour, Health, Organics or Synthetics, etc.

Since each party member has a pretty narrow range of skills and weaponry, you'll get best results if you swap them out depending on the situation, the way you would weapons and armour.

pringles

Dries said:
Why all the Miranda hate? She's got a lot of baggage and that's really fleshed out in het loyalty mission. I think she's interesting.
But the best character has to be Mordin, yeah. I think a lot of people think that.
I agree, I like Miranda. She's a 100x times better than Ashley was. Jacob and Grunt were the only characters I felt were completely uninteresting to me in this game.

Arjen

Dries said:

Yeah i like her to, certainly my nr 1 squad member.

Nemesis_

Dries said:

She's cool but it's also fun to point out how wrong she can be.

mujun

This game has the best writing and dialog in any game I've ever played. Love all the characters and was really impressed with how Samara's, Thane's and Mordin's loyalty quests played out.

mujun said:
This game has the best writing and dialog in any game I've ever played. Love all the characters and was really impressed with how Samara's, Thane's and Mordin's loyalty quests played out.

True, I did enjoy killing off Samara... what a crappy character.

EmCeeGramr said:
Of course it did. It was terrible, but it gave him a glimmer of hope. But he had given up on the krogan as a culture before that, and afterwards the game just assumes that Saren's hiring of the krogan somehow controlled them (even though it had only been a few years out of over a thousand) and his defeat made Wrex care again, even though they never communicated that to you.

Also, I don't buy JRPGs and never have, so I leave the animu to your expertise since you apparently know so much about them.

Or...you know...as a character, Wrex "changed his mind"? Women are allowed to change their minds. Why not videogame characters?

timetokill said:
True, I did enjoy killing off Samara... what a crappy character.
I didn't care for Samara's flat and dry personality, but the possible end result of her loyalty mission is one of the most ridiculous outcomes I have ever seen.

Yeah sure, I'm going to betray a team member in exchange for someone who I not only just met, but who is a murderer who tried to kill me just seconds earlier. Even if I didn't have to betray a team mate for no logical reason, why would someone allow a cancer like this on their ship? That whole option makes no sense to me.

rhino4evr

Arde5643 said:
Assault rifles usually are the best option for the non-soldier classes since most of the time the power dependent classes have to enter the fray in order to use their powers effectively.

I can see engineers with sniper rifles (combat drone stuns or distracts powerful bosses even from far away allowing you time to take your shots) or adepts might even be able to use shotguns a bit more effectively than they do with sniper rifles (singularity stun or pull at close range with shotgun at point blank range can be pretty effective).
Sentinels with shotguns can also do quite some damage since tech armor allows them to close in and stun the opponents should things get hairy.

Assault rifles usually are the default best choice though - probably not the most fun, but it's the most optimal for the power dependent classes.
Adapt can also be very weak in close combat so a shotgun comes in handy

I'm glad to see everyone talking about there favorite characters but a lot of this is spoiler territory still so be careful

I'm about halfway through the game still have not picked up tali or ? Is left and have only done miranda's lotalty quest

most of you are still marking spoilers but a few of you aren't so please stay considerate

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dark Octave said:
I didn't care for Samara's flat and dry personality, but the possible end result of her loyalty mission is one of the most ridiculous outcomes I have ever seen.

Yeah sure, I'm going to betray a team member in exchange for someone who I not only just met, but who is a murderer who tried to kill me just seconds earlier. Even if I didn't have to betray a team mate for no logical reason, why would someone allow a cancer like this on their ship? That whole option makes no sense to me.

Because you're the ultimate space badass. :lol

jjasper

Dark Octave said:

Yeah I think that should have been handled differently. I am not really sure how though maybe if you talk to her too much you lose the option to
kill Morinth cause she has too much influence on you?

Chilled-out-Shepard-SEND-JACOB-INTO-VENTS-DONT-OPEN-VALVES.jpg

I didn't realize Shephard has beome a meme, but I think it's hilarious.

jjasper said:
Yeah I think that should have been handled differently. I am not really sure how though maybe if you talk to her too much you lose the option to
kill Morinth cause she has too much influence on you?
See that would have made sense. That would have been perfect actually. I don't know how they would have handeled it afterwards though if he ever comes to his senses again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom