• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

Alright, just finished the game, later than everyone else. Great shit! I guess I'll do a mini-review of it:

Pros:

+ The dialogue/writing was overall really fucking good in every respect. Bioware are great at making characters you want to listen to and have in your party... well, except Jack. Very solid cast all-around, perhaps their best cast yet (if you don't count BG2). The VA is generally amazing too.

+ The combat is much improved over the predecessor, which was a clumsy-as-shit 3rd person shooter. While not nearly as good as "true" 3rd person cover-based shooters, it still is great.

+ Lengthy game, with lots to do. There was also a lot of proper role-playing too, which I was afraid would take the shaft.

+ The action choices were a nice addition, and added another dimension to the already-great dialogue system in this series.

+ The lack of inventory clutter was a bit disappointing at first (I like to collect shit in RPG's), but eventually you realized this was better. You essentially saved a lot of time by not having to worry about stacking crap (especially since your inventory could become full in ME1, one of the biggest idiot moves in recent gaming history :p ).

+ The aesthetics were top-notch, and so was the audio. Great voice acting, and superb art direction; the scope of some areas were amazing, and downright awe-inspiring. Though there was also a problem with this, more on that later.

+ Sidequests and side areas were actually unique this time around! Much improved over the rehash-rehash-rehash sidequests and planets from the first game. There were a few too many collect-and-return quests here though, too simplistic.

+ The endgame was EPIC. Both the first game and this one have fucking epic endgames; I even think I prefer this one more. I was on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole time. Also, the end boss, while looking a bit stupid, was badass.

Cons:

- The dialogue system is too transparent and needs a revamp; left side = investigate, right hand side = progress, upper right corner = paragon, lower right = renegade. This makes several choices too black and white, and Bioware needs to make it more subtle for the next game.

- The sense of proper exploration was lost in the sequel. While the Mako driving was boring in the first one, at least you felt you were exploring this vast universe. The galaxy map and the probe/fuel management aspect only made this thought worse.

- The mining, ugghhh. So slow and so boring (and I can't even imagine putting up with the 360 version's supposedly über-slow scanning). This wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the sidequests were hidden on planets that you had to scan. You might say that EDI clearly spelled out "anomaly detected", but the problem here is, if you choose "Enter Orbit" for a planet, it counts as explored, and the OCD in me didn't want this unless I reached "Depleted" status for it. It would've helped if simply hovering above a planet mentioned its current resource status instead of you having to visit it, enter its orbit and check there, which is painfully slow.

- The environments themselves in the combat scenarios were often very bland and flat. Boxes upon boxes upon boxes, and too much dirt and grime made them boring to fight in.

- The weapon picking system was worse than in the first game. While there were barely any real differences between weapons in the first game, at least it clearly showed performance differences. Since there's no weapon range in ME2, you had to try each weapon out in a mission to properly know how it stacks up. The information for each weapon was simply lacking, a minor annoyance.

- Male Shepard's voice acting. He still sticks out as crap compared to all the other solid VA's. Had to restart after two hours.

Random thoughts:

? It would've been sweet if you could meet those big flying insect-monsters (the ones that drop the red exploding bugs). Overall, a bit more enemy variety would've been cool.

? What's with all the family issues in the posse? :lol

? I've experienced surprisingly many geometry glitches in this game, and even lost a couple of hours progress once or twice. And one of the times I didn't even bump into some geometry!

? Too bad the rain from the Jack sidequest wasn't used in other places, it looked great.

? Eventhough the combat is much improved, I still felt it was a bit simplistic. I may chalk it up to the Soldier class (which I picked), so I'm reserving a proper judgment until I've tried some other class in the future.

? The lack of a working scroll wheel in the PC version is baffling.

Anyway, a very good game, and much, much improved over the first one (which was a 7/10 game at best in my book) in almost every aspect. If I had to slap a score on this game, it would probably be a 9/10. :D

jergrah

I have been taking my time with Mass Effect 2, am around the 32 hour mark and finally going to take the Omega 4 Relay tonight I think. Fantastic game....I think Ive been putting off the Omega 4 jump just because I dont want the game to end.

One thing I really like this time around are the missions when you find the anomalies while exploring worlds - all of them are so different and the worlds all seem pretty interesting.

Anyways, just chiming in to state how much I love this game!! I think tonight Im going to finish up exploring/mining a few more planets, maybe use the Retrain skill on Shepard and then hit the relay. As excited as I am to see how the game ends - I really dont want it to.

Zalasta

EatChildren said:
Simple example; Miranda and Jacob's loyalty missions compared to Tali.
Tali has us confronting her father, and eventually her exile. It is all about Tali. Her emotions, the way people treat her, and the consiquences of your decisions directly effect her. Miranda and Jacob's are about people they know or are associated with, but the plots themselves dont really involve them. They're fun, but Jacob is only there because the game forces you to take him. Similar for Miranda. Tali's wouldnt work without her present. Same goes for Garrus.

Hmmm, I think you picked the worst examples. The whole Quarian and Geth conflict is like borrowed material from Battlestar Galactica. While Garrus's revenge story is generic and completely unimaginative. Frankly, Samara and Thane are the only characters with something interesting to tell.

Dilly

Banned
They should combine the ME1 planet exploration with ME2 planet exploration.

Make some explorable planets like in ME1. And integrate the mining game in the planets that you could survey.

I really miss running around on deserted planets with a Red Giant in the sky.

Dead

well not really...yet
Dilly said:

Make some explorable planets like in ME1. And integrate the mining game in the planets that you could survey.

As long as the planets are varied in terms of design. What I hated about exploration in ME1 was that every planet was the same shit over and over again.

Dandy

Dilly said:

They should do that with DLC. Every so often they should just take a random system and add a few explorable maps to the planets.

OMG Aero

BeeDog said:
Cons:

- The dialogue system is too transparent and needs a revamp; left side = investigate, right hand side = progress, upper right corner = paragon, lower right = renegade. This makes several choices too black and white, and Bioware needs to make it more subtle for the next game.
I agree with you about good choices at the top and bad choices at the bottom making most of the choices a clear decision between good and evil but I like way that investigate is on the left. When I'm talking to people I want to learn as much as I can and I'd hate to be cut short because I accidentally picked the continue option.

Mr_Zombie

I was thinking recently and wouldn't a weapon upgrade system similar to that, for example, from RE4/5 be a better and more, well, deep than the one that was implemented in ME2?

In RE4/5 you have three or four types of weapons from each class (pistol, shotgun, sniper, machine gun) and each weapon has its own parameters (number of ammo, power etc.) that you can upgrade.
Each weapon from each class has its strong points and weak points - for example one pistol, when fully upgraded, has 320 points to "power" but only 24 rounds in a clip, other has 250 points of "power" and 100 rounds in a clip.

At least that would add a real RPG element because the system used in ME2 sucks when it comes to that. In one playthrough you can buy all upgrades and each upgrade influences all weapons of such type. Not to mention, when you find a new weapon the description only says: "this weapon upgrades weapon X", but doesn't even say how does it upgrade it. You don't even have to choose: well, maybe I should take the more powerful pistol, or maybe the one when I don't have to reload so often. :/

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BeeDog said:
Cons:

While I'm inclined to agree, there's a reason why the dialog tree is so transparent. In the choices given to you when making conversation with somebody, there are two issues. 1) what is written is not what you actually say. What is written is moreso an inner monologue that Shepard has before responding and 2) tone is completely missing.

For example, you could be telling a team member that they're ugly. Well, are you joking to bring levity to the situation, or are you actually trying to insult the person? The only clear way to distinguish between those two very different responses is by placing it in either the paragon or renegade slot.

Okay after watching co-op and feedback and listening to numerous podcasts I'm getting sick of "its still an RPG because you're playing a role" argument. Yes, if you take it literally, you are playing a role in this game, but thats not what RPG was ever meant to denote. RPG usually refers to games which let you get experience to upgrade your skills and collect various types of inventory (health packs, armor, weapons, buffs). I'm not saying its good or bad that its less of an RPG but PLEASE don't use that lame argument anymore.

The whole conversation/decision system that is present in ME2 is closer to what you'd see in adventure games than in any traditional RPGs.

Gattsu25

Banned
BeeDog said:
Cons:

It's done this way for quick second/third/twentieth playthroughs

kmfdmpig

BeeDog said:
Alright, just finished the game, later than everyone else. Great shit! I guess I'll do a mini-review of it:

- The mining, ugghhh. So slow and so boring (and I can't even imagine putting up with the 360 version's supposedly über-slow scanning). This wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the fact that the sidequests were hidden on planets that you had to scan. You might say that EDI clearly spelled out "anomaly detected", but the problem here is, if you choose "Enter Orbit" for a planet, it counts as explored, and the OCD in me didn't want this unless I reached "Depleted" status for it. It would've helped if simply hovering above a planet mentioned its current resource status instead of you having to visit it, enter its orbit and check there, which is painfully slow.

I played on 360 (had a PC good enough to run at full, but had my saves on the 360) and while I didn't love the mining I didn't hate it. I think that a lot of those that truly hate it simply mined too much. I mined a fair amount, but did it in spurts and I didn't feel the need to mine each planet dry as there's no need to do so. Once I got the scanning upgrade it didn't feel so slow, of course I haven't tried the PC version to compare, so it could be very different for all that I know.

Jirotrom

today i was fortunate enough to receive a steam gift of Mass Effect 2. The question I have...
Is the DLC from mass effect 1 useful in any way to mass effect 2. Do characters or story from that DLC carry over to mass effect 2?

Patryn

GuardianE said:
While I'm inclined to agree, there's a reason why the dialog tree is so transparent. In the choices given to you when making conversation with somebody, there are two issues. 1) what is written is not what you actually say. What is written is moreso an inner monologue that Shepard has before responding and 2) tone is completely missing.

For example, you could be telling a team member that they're ugly. Well, are you joking to bring levity to the situation, or are you actually trying to insult the person? The only clear way to distinguish between those two very different responses is by placing it in either the paragon or renegade slot.

I think this is exactly it. Because of the non-exact nature of the dialogue prompts, it's necessary to give extra information to the player in order for them to ascertain the tone of what the statement or question will be.

I mean, how often have you selected something only to hear Shepard say something that seems completely different from what you selected?

Lakitu

st5fu
Jirotrom said:
today i was fortunate enough to receive a steam gift of Mass Effect 2. The question I have...
Is the DLC from mass effect 1 useful in any way to mass effect 2. Do characters or story from that DLC carry over to mass effect 2?

One of them gets a mention in a news report, thats about it (Bring Down the Sky).

"There's a lot to do, Shepard. Maybe another time."

What do I have to do to hook up with this chick?
I'm a galactic super hero and I've taken your side on everything. Never mind I've seen you on youtube nailing other Sheps.
What am I doing wrong here?
"Finished" the game. Too late to get Miranda in the sack?

Patryn

CitizenCope said:
"There's a lot to do, Shepard. Maybe another time."

What do I have to do to hook up with this chick?
I'm a galactic super hero and I've taken your side on everything. Never mind I've seen you on youtube nailing other Sheps.
What am I doing wrong here?
"Finished" the game. Too late to get Miranda in the sack?

It's possible you may have missed one of the relationship cues in an earlier dialogue and sealed the whole thing off. There's a few that hint at either relationship or friendship, and if you pick enough friendship, you can never hook up with them.

Patryn said:
It's possible you may have missed one of the relationship cues in an earlier dialogue and sealed the whole thing off. There's a few that hint at either relationship or friendship, and if you pick enough friendship, you can never hook up with them.

I am cry now.
Hooked up with an alien the last game. That doesn't count.
Been married for 13 years. This was my chance to hook up with another chick and I blew it.
Oh well off to DVR Chuck. :D

Subitai

I didn't see it anywhere it in the thread,
]but ppl who killed off Wrex in ME1, who was running the Krogan town when you got there
?

Jirotrom said:
welll... thats a no buy then... another question... does info from the sidequests get carried over?

Just checking here, but do you mean that you wont buy the DLC for ME1 now? Because Bring Down the Sky DLC is free for PC users.

Patryn

BDTS has the best moral quandry of ME1. It's worth playing just for that, if you ask me.

It's the only one that really made me think and wonder which was the right choice.

Mr_Zombie

And it's a good mission. It's one of those rare missions where whatever choice you do, you'll lose in a way.

Jirotrom said:
is it? haha... is it there automatically?
No, you have to download it from BioWare site.

Subitai

OMG Aero said:
So what's the general consensus on the best class to tackle Insanity with?
Also is it best to do Insanity on a new game + or as a new character.
I'd like to try Insanity as a femshep since my main character is male, but not if it's going to make the game super hard.

Yeah, I'd like to know too. My 1st time through was as a soldier and I got addicted to adrenaline to the point that I can't imagine going without it.

Mindlog

Patryn said:
BDTS has the best moral quandry of ME1. It's worth playing just for that, if you ask me.

It's the only one that really made me think and wonder which was the right choice.

yup

My Vanguard solved it one way and my Infiltrator the other. I hope the two different news briefs aren't all we get.

I also solved the Helena Blake quandary 2 different ways. So far it's been a universal, "Them dying = no reward."

Subitai said:
Yeah, I'd like to know too. My 1st time through was as a soldier and I got addicted to adrenaline to the point that I can't imagine going without it.

Best way to start is with an imported lvl 60 ME1 character.
There are a couple of different options for best class. I believe it's generally considered to be Sentinel/Infiltrator/Soldier? I've had the most fun with my Infiltrator (imported ME1 lvl 60 Infiltrator.) Cloak made the arena combat areas a lot more fun for me.

I figured out why I liked using the flamethrower. It's different. It gets bonus vs armor (husks), the AOE (husks) and greater damage potential (more ammo(vs husks.))

Subitai said:
Interesting. I was a soldier but never put any points into that!

Dresden

Heavy weapons in general are all pretty weak, with the exception of the grenade launcher and the Cain. And the Cain is stupidly pricey to use and the 'nade launcher doesn't even outdamage the Widow.

Dresden said:
Heavy weapons in general are all pretty weak, with the exception of the grenade launcher and the Cain. And the Cain is stupidly pricey to use and the 'nade launcher doesn't even outdamage the Widow.
How do i use the Cain weapon? I got it but didn't know how to use :lol

Patryn

The Lamonster said:
Hold down the button, and you have to have a large % of ammo.

100%. Which means, if I'm right, you can only max out at 190% with all the upgrades, so you get 1 shot before picking up more ammo.

(I may be wrong, but I think I got 6/6 of the Heavy Weapon Ammo Upgrades)

Dresden

Patryn said:
100%. Which means, if I'm right, you can only max out at 190% with all the upgrades, so you get 1 shot before picking up more ammo.

(I may be wrong, but I think I got 6/6 of the Heavy Weapon Ammo Upgrades)
There's also the leg armor that gives +10% to heavy ammo, and the Cerberus armor as well. Equip one or the other and you can get two shots total.

Wiggum2007

Dresden said:

I almost felt like cheating when I killed each of the Praetorians in the game using a single shot from the Cain. :lol

Subitai

The Lamonster said:
Interesting. I was a soldier but never put any points into that!
Just pop out of cover for a few seconds and mow down 3 guys or half a bar of armor on a big guy. I was either sporting warp (reason I got Jack's loyalty sooner than I would have) or fire ammo usually.
Dresden said:
Dude, I loved it when I was able to get one cleanly off w/ out killing myself. Worth every minute I used scanning for it.

dankir

Goddamn the ally side missions are awesome. The missions to recruit them and the loyalty missions are sooooooooooooo much better than the main story.

I wish there was were more teammates :(

My teammate screen has 1 empty slot left and I'm sure I got everybody.... is it for
legion?

Gattsu25

Banned
dankir said:
Goddamn the ally side missions are awesome. The missions to recruit them and the loyalty missions are sooooooooooooo much better than the main story.
Isn't that a bit of a paradox? How are they better than themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom