• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subitai

Mindlog said:
Best way to start is with an imported lvl 60 ME1 character.
There are a couple of different options for best class. I believe it's generally considered to be Sentinel/Infiltrator/Soldier? I've had the most fun with my Infiltrator (imported ME1 lvl 60 Infiltrator.) Cloak made the arena combat areas a lot more fun for me.

I figured out why I liked using the flamethrower. It's different. It gets bonus vs armor (husks), the AOE (husks) and greater damage potential (more ammo(vs husks.))
I thought about Sentinel, but I cringed when the global cooldown hit me. Does the cooldown get to around 3 seconds like adrenaline? If not, guess I'll go infiltrator.

Just finished it. Wow what an amazing game. I've never spent five hours finishing a game and still have the hunger to play five hours more. I know it's only Feb, but I'm calling GotY. Amazing, amazing game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMPrince said:
The justicar loyalty mission. Did anyone's sound stop working and come back during the cutscene at the end?

It did that for me. I almost forgot about that. Really ruined things for me. I tried to fool myself into thinking that the silence was deliberate because of all the Biotic powers flying around. :lol

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Jirotrom said:
did you all like bringing down the sky DLC?

Yes, quite a bit actually.

I hope Bioware gives us something like it in ME2. Maybe there will be something similar in the Hammerhead DLC.

Subitai

LordPhoque said:
God, the entire cast of ME2 is great. Except from Jacob aka the new Kaidan :lol
Those poor guys. They're in there for the ladies, as in if we liked them more they probably would like them less.

I think I read here someone's girlfriend liked Kaiden's butt?

Can't please everyone.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
g23 said:
What's with the Jacob hate. That dude had way more personality then kaidan.

Thank you. I think a lot of people probably do not even talk to Jacob, but he has a lot to say and he is interesting.

I'm starting to think most people here subscribe to the "if you are not a hot smoking human female or weird alien" then you are not interesting.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Jacob's skillset was pretty bad, too. Samara really outclasses him in terms of biotics + weapon damage. I don't remember ever using him other than at the very beginning and his loyalty mission.

I didn't really dislike his character though. He seemed like a low-key guy who gets stuff done quietly and doesn't really impose too much. Kaidan seemed really whiny in comparison.

Coxswain

You guys can go screw yourselves; Kaidan was a good character.*
But then I don't really mind Jacob, either. He's not the most interesting character, but since he was set up as basically mini-Shepard, he's probably got the best camaraderie with Shepard besides Garrus. He didn't get much use from me, but that's mostly because he's got pretty mediocre skills/weapons.

*At least until ME2, where he went from "the Carth who doesn't whine" to "the Carth who whines more than any other Carth besides Alistair".

X26

Banned
The problem I have with Jacob's character is that after every mission he's in the briefing room acting like he's shep's second in command or something

jjasper

neojubei said:
I'm starting to think most people here subscribe to the "if you are not a hot smoking human female or weird alien" then you are not interesting.

The bolded do not exist in the Mass Effect universe.

jjasper said:
63895.jpg

I am sorry, I could not hear you over the sound of how hot she is.

jjasper

I never saw this person in the game. Closest I got was this:

miranda-lawson-mass-effect-2-screenshot-character.jpg

Yes I know they are the same but female humans look like shit in the game

rhino4evr

X26 said:
The problem I have with Jacob's character is that after every mission he's in the briefing room acting like he's shep's second in command or something
I know right? why does he have to butt in whenever you recruit a member. I could really care less what he thinks

OMG Aero

neojubei said:
I don't find Jacob or Kaiden interesting because they are just generic human males, which is exactly what my Shepard is.
I don't want another me in my party, I want to mix it up.

Cep

Banned
neojubei said:
Thank you. I think a lot of people probably do not even talk to Jacob, but he has a lot to say and he is interesting.

The fuck you talking about?

They were boring as well. Put simply, If you are not Wrex, Garrus, Tali, Thane or Mordin, you are most likely a boring ME character.

Zeliard

Cep said:
The fuck you talking about?

They were boring as well. Put simply, If you are not Wrex, Garrus, Tali, Thane or Mordin, you are most likely a boring ME character.

"Geth do not infiltrate."

"Geth do not intentionally infiltrate."

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I exhausted all of Jacob's conversation options and I still found him tedious and boring. There was no interesting back story. He was just generic soldier 205 who got tired of the Alliance and went to work with a PMC aka Cerberus. He doesn't even know how to feel about Cerberus. What a giant pussy.

neojubei

Stallion Free said:
I exhausted all of Jacob's conversation options and I still found him tedious and boring. There was no interesting back story. He was just generic soldier 205 who got tired of the Alliance and went to work with a PMC aka Cerberus. He doesn't even know how to feel about Cerberus. What a giant pussy.

No, he works for Cerberus because they get the job done with no red tape but he does not trust them. He is a loyal person that had morals, someone I want with him in battle.

jjasper said:

Well there been a lot of talk about Miranda's rear end, not that its a bad thing.

OMG Aero said:
I don't find Jacob or Kaiden interesting because they are just generic human males, which is exactly what my Shepard is.
I don't want another me in my party, I want to mix it up.

The more human characters the better. :D

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Stallion Free said:
I think its kinda nice that even though the galaxy is huge and their are aliens, mercs, and unknown forces are clashing everywhere, there's still room for an average soldier. Its really easy for a game to get ahead of itself by trying to make everything superomfgepicmazing, but not every character in a given story is meant to be great. Jacob is grounded, exactly what he's needed to be.

dralla

Stallion Free said:
probably the most boring character between 1 and 2. there's really just nothing there.

Dan Yo

Banned
Her ass looks very strange. I don't know what type of person they were trying to please with that ass but it looks really unnatural.

Dan Yo

Banned
dralla said:
probably the most boring character between 1 and 2. there's really just nothing there.
Agreed. He was the only character I never took out again after I had the option to use another party member. Aside from his loyalty quest of course.

I even took out the most half-assed character in the game, Zaeed, more often.

What the hell? Jacob is an awesome character. *SO* much better than that Carth doppleganger. He's not complicated, but so what. Cerberus is evil as fuck but they are the only option, and if all goes well we are gonna party on the citadel. That's awesome distilled.

DY_nasty

Son of Godzilla said:
What the hell? Jacob is an awesome character. *SO* much better than that Carth doppleganger. He's not complicated, but so what. Cerberus is evil as fuck but they are the only option, and if all goes well we are gonna party on the citadel. That's awesome distilled.
Seriously, for everyone trying to say that Jacob is the worst character in the squad...

Jack.

Now stfu.

neojubei

DY_nasty said:
I think its kinda nice that even though the galaxy is huge and their are aliens, mercs, and unknown forces are clashing everywhere, there's still room for an average soldier. Its really easy for a game to get ahead of itself by trying to make everything superomfgepicmazing, but not every character in a given story is meant to be great. Jacob is grounded, exactly what he's needed to be.

Well said.

pmj

Finally done with Insanity and that's something I'll never do again. What a tedious experience that was. And somehow I've played through the game twice, both times getting all characters, getting everyone loyal, visited every planet available to me, bought every relevant upgrade in the stores and still haven't fully upgraded a single weapon. Highly annoying.

witness

So can you continue playing after you finish the story or are you locked out like in dragon age? I'm close to the end I believe so I'm going to every system and planet trying to find side quests.

DuckRacer

witness said:
So can you continue playing after you finish the story or are you locked out like in dragon age? I'm close to the end I believe so I'm going to every system and planet trying to find side quests.
You can continue playing.

Cep

Banned
neojubei said:
Well said.

Say what you will, LIKE them all you will, but Jacob, Miranda and Grunt are the worse written of the cast.

And I like both Jacob and Grunt. (Kaiden was my favorite character in ME1, but he too was one of the worse in that game).

DY_nasty

Cep said:
Say what you will, LIKE them all you will, but Jacob, Miranda and Grunt are the worse written of the cast.

And I like both Jacob and Grunt. (Kaiden was my favorite character in ME1, but he too was one of the worse in that game).
How is Grunt poorly written?

He's a young, confused test tube baby/baddest mofo from the galaxy's baddest mufuckin race. It would have been very easy to make him a horrible, horrible character. I think he was done well.

Miranda though... I hate her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom