• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodt

Banned
Meier said:
Beyond the goofy scanning, I have three fundmental issues with the game (likely the same as many others)

1.) The EXP system is bunk. I hate that no matter how many enemies I kill, I'm not rewarded in that regard.
2.) There is no sense of accomplishment from killing bosses/sub-bosses. I got 10gp for killing the Thresher Maw, but that's it. I never get special items, money (at least not specifically) or exp for killing big baddies. Every enemy is the same in this regard and that's goofy.
3.) The skill system changes were not good. I feel very constrained with the limited things I can level up. A skill tree being so short removes much of the customization of a character.

The core gameplay is great and they made some nice changes -- graphically, the detail on the main characters is stunning. But to be honest, I'm not sure I'd say this is as good as the original even with its terrible inventory system. I think they took a hatchet to something that needed a shave.

Yeah these reasons are why I didn't enjoy the first 3-4 hours of the game. But then something clicked and I realized... this is really just an action game, not an RPG. Sure, it is open ended, you can do missions (quests) for people, and you level up but really it is just an action game with RPG elements. I mean even God of War (an action game by all accounts) has you power up and gain new abilities by collecting orbs.

Once that clicked I enjoyed the game much more. I just played for the dialogue choices, combat, and story. I'm not sure it was the best choice, but I enjoyed it so maybe it was.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Meier said:
3.) The skill system changes were not good. I feel very constrained with the limited things I can level up. A skill tree being so short removes much of the customization of a character.

I think they took a hatchet to something that needed a shave.

I agree.

The worst part about the skill system is that you'll always have 1 or 2 points left over that can't go anywhere.

But the like the poster above me said: ME1 was an RPG with action elements, M2 is an action game with RPG elements.

I wish there was more loot and a few more options for armor customization on the "regular" armor. I don't really like the DLC ones. That's seriously the only thing I disliked about the game.

I think part 3 should strike a balance between 1 and 2.

I actually liked the planet scanning... I found it oddly entertaining :lol Maybe just because the music is so good there.

And it's way better than having to drive the Mako around...

... did anybody else get a sort of satisfaction out of seeing the crashed Mako at the crash site? I unloaded a heavy weapon into it while I was there as well.

micromagic said:
Just finished the final mission, so annoyed that
Miranda died after I killed the reaper. I'd managed to keep everyone else alive up to that point. What the hell, did she trip and bang her head? I did her loyalty mission along with everyone elses. Is it because I backed Jack when they were having a little tiff? If that's the reason it's dumb.
Apart from that loved every second.
Yes, that's exactly the reason. Actually, if you didn't have her in your party for that last fight she still might have made it out. The non-loyal people that accompany you in the end fight are marked for death, but non-loyal people that are with the other crew still have a chance of making it out.

timetokill said:
I actually liked the planet scanning... I found it oddly entertaining :lol Maybe just because the music is so good there.

And it's way better than having to drive the Mako around...

... did anybody else get a sort of satisfaction out of seeing the crashed Mako at the crash site? I unloaded a heavy weapon into it while I was there as well.
But the Galaxy Map music sounds so much like the Risky Business score that I can't help but think of Tom Cruise.

Needless to say, I didn't like scanning for minerals. :lol

thorin

timetokill said:
I didn't shoot anything at it, but yeah I felt the same way.

I liked visiting planets in ME1 though. It's just that the Mako wasn't up to the task. Hopefully the Hammerhead will set things right.

witness

The corners of my screen are freakin black in this game. Its not my tv, its not my xbox because other games are fine, its just this game. It looks really weird that all 4 corners are blacked out and give it a kind of "fish eye" effect.

Lakitu

st5fu
witness said:
The corners of my screen are freakin black in this game. Its not my tv, its not my xbox because other games are fine, its just this game. It looks really weird that all 4 corners are blacked out and give it a kind of "fish eye" effect.

I got that effect sometimes.

JayDubya

Banned
Dresden said:
Less people would be nostalgic about the Mako if you had to recover minerals to upgrade your weapons.

I dunno man, on a typical ME playthrough, I get a LOT of those minerals; if you do all the sidequest planets you can get way more than the quests ask you for.

Also, they provide far more minerals in ME2 than you can ever hope to use. Maybe not enough eezo, if you're very, very fickle about your skills.

Subitai

mescalineeyes said:
I wish there was more loot and a few more options for armor customization on the "regular" armor. I don't really like the DLC ones. That's seriously the only thing I disliked about the game.

I missed collecting stuff and getting lucky on a good manufacturer or upgrade too.

Dyno said:
I play as Black Shepard so Jacob was the only brother that I could truly count on.

Ditto. :lol

My problem with Jacob as a character is that he's like Kaidan and Carth - You have to spend ages talking to them to find out anything interesting or worthwhile. I took him with me everywhere, but we didn't really talk about much. One thing that was immediately noticeable though was that he provides the most ship upgrades and is by proxy the protector of everyone else on the ship.

The funny thing about this game is that personally I find the best, most fully fleshed out character in both games to be Tali, which is completely by accident considering that she was so worthless and invisible in the first game (and even then, she only make sense if you romance her:
Realizing just how badly she wants you makes her invisibility in the first game appear as shyness - She has no idea how to approach you and thinks that you see her as a mask instead of a woman.
. Tali falling in love with Shepard makes sense; everyone else only seems to do it because he's the Alpha male/female and the rest of the crew are schlubs and/or icky aliens.

Fitz

Dani said:
Ever have one of those moments where you can't save your game, you're pretty sure you've killed everything yet still you hear the enemy lurking somewhere?

Little did I know this Geth was more interested in fitting this kitchen than killing me.

:lol :lol

Subitai said:
I missed collecting stuff and getting lucky on a good manufacturer or upgrade too.

I didn't really get the manufacturer system in 1, neither did I like shopping for stuff. I prefer finding shit. Spending money is stupid. :lol

Subitai

Meier said:
Beyond the goofy scanning, I have three fundmental issues with the game (likely the same as many others)

1.) The EXP system is bunk. I hate that no matter how many enemies I kill, I'm not rewarded in that regard.
2.) There is no sense of accomplishment from killing bosses/sub-bosses. I got 10gp for killing the Thresher Maw, but that's it. I never get special items, money (at least not specifically) or exp for killing big baddies. Every enemy is the same in this regard and that's goofy.

The core gameplay is great and they made some nice changes -- graphically, the detail on the main characters is stunning. But to be honest, I'm not sure I'd say this is as good as the original even with its terrible inventory system. I think they took a hatchet to something that needed a shave.
Yeah, this still burns me when I think about it. No stat tweaking, and so no reward for taking time to manage that well. If they stopped selling it as an RPG, then I'd be ok, but they don't.

Wiggum2007

witness said:

Yah, pretty sure ME1 had the same screen effect too.

Subitai

mescalineeyes said:
I didn't really get the manufacturer system in 1, neither did I like shopping for stuff. I prefer finding shit. Spending money is stupid. :lol
Yeah, but I like finding stuff to sell it in order to finance better stuff. You could game it though in ME1 on side quests and save right before going into a building and keep reloading till you got the armor/weapon you were satisfied with.

Subitai said:
Yeah, but I like finding stuff to sell it in order to finance better stuff. You could game it though in ME1 on side quests and save right before going into a building and keep reloading till you got the armor/weapon you were satisfied with.

what the hell? :lol :lol

I'mma go play Mass Effect now, ttyl.

kuYuri

Sorry if this has been explained before, but what is up with this big-ass star?

It looks like it froze in the middle of a supernova.

2qth1y0.jpg

Kenaras

Meier said:

1) I wish every RPG would work this way. No EXP for enemies makes them obstacles to be overcome, instead of resources to be farmed. Honestly, I think farming enemies for EXP is bullshit and makes no sense whatsoever; EXP should only be rewarded for completing missions/quest/objectives/whatever.
2) I suppose it would have been interesting if some bosses dropped new weapons, instead of just finding them lying around. Other than that I didn't much care one way or the other.
3) The original's skill tree wasn't all that interesting anyway. I suppose it made it possible to really screw up your character, but if you were smart about spending your skill points there was very little customization. I certainly wouldn't mind a complex skill tree that allows for extensive customization - I'm just saying Mass Effect 1 didn't have one either.

Patryn

Kenaras said:
1) I wish every RPG would work this way. No EXP for enemies makes them obstacles to be overcome, instead of resources to be farmed. Honestly, I think farming enemies for EXP is bullshit and makes no sense whatsoever; EXP should only be rewarded for completing missions/quest/objectives/whatever.
2) I suppose it would have been interesting if some bosses dropped new weapons, instead of just finding them lying around. Other than that I didn't much care one way or the other.
3) The original's skill tree wasn't all that interesting anyway. I suppose it made it possible to really screw up your character, but if you were smart about spending your skill points there was very little customization. I certainly wouldn't mind a complex skill tree that allows for extensive customization - I'm just saying Mass Effect 1 didn't have one either.

Enemies for EXP is there to allow the player to decide how they want to play. If they want to farm and be horribly overpowered, it's their prerogative. If you just want to beat the ones directly in your way, you can do that to.

It gives the player a choice in the matter.

I fail to understand why they'd take that away. Who cares is someone wants to be horribly overpowered? How does it harm the challenge of another person's game?

Arde5643

Patryn said:
Enemies for EXP is there to allow the player to decide how they want to play. If they want to farm and be horribly overpowered, it's their prerogative. If you just want to beat the ones directly in your way, you can do that to.

I fail to understand why they'd take that away. Who cares is someone wants to be horribly overpowered? How does it harm the challenge of another person's game?
Most likely, in games where you're given choices to fight or not fight, the combat usually isn't the most fun or at least not as fun as other genres.

Mass Effect seems to take the choice of being an action RPG w/ scripted combat with some choices in dialogues that affect some things in the game, but not enough where it will hinder the combat element.

Is this wrong? Not really, it's just a different type of RPG (it definitely allows ME2 to be much more cinematic than other games in this genre though).

Here's hoping for Fallout Las Vegas to give us at least half of the open-ended approach Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 did back then.

Because if you're expecting that in Mass Effect, you're way off since even the first Mass Effect has never been like that (Bioware's never been like that ever actually - all of their games have always emphasized cinematic/scripted combat approach).

mescalineeyes said:

What killed the extra armors for me was that you couldn't remove the helmets. Part of the fun in this game is seeing the face you created talk and and animate. Plus, wearing a full helmet in a night club where nobody else is wearing one looks kinda silly.

Dark Octave said:
What killed the extra armors for me was that you couldn't remove the helmets. Part of the fun in this game is seeing the face you created talk and and animate. Plus, wearing a full helmet in a night club where nobody else is wearing one looks kinda silly.
*orders drink*

*splashes glowing blue liquid against helmet*

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
EmCeeGramr said:
*orders drink*

*splashes glowing blue liquid against helmet*

Gianna: "Aw what the hell?"

*Helmet kiss

Shepard doesn't like cooties.

Patryn

Arde5643 said:
Most likely, in games where you're given choices to fight or not fight, the combat usually isn't the most fun or at least not as fun as other genres.

Mass Effect seems to take the choice of being an action RPG w/ scripted combat with some choices in dialogues that affect some things in the game, but not enough where it will hinder the combat element.

Is this wrong? Not really, it's just a different type of RPG (it definitely allows ME2 to be much more cinematic than other games in this genre though).

Here's hoping for Fallout Las Vegas to give us at least half of the open-ended approach Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 did back then.

Because if you're expecting that in Mass Effect, you're way off since even the first Mass Effect has never been like that (Bioware's never been like that ever actually - all of their games have always emphasized cinematic/scripted combat approach).

Wait, what? Beyond your initial subjective opinion, I'm not sure how any of this relates to whether or not individual enemies should give EXP or not.

I don't see how individual enemies giving EXP equates to it trying to be an open-world game such as Fallout: New Vegas will be.

As for optional combat in Mass Effect 1, it's obvious you didn't spend a lot of time on the unexplored planets, or you would have found plenty of optional fights.

Kenaras

Patryn said:

Giving the player an "I Win" button would also give them more choice in how they play. After all, if someone doesn't like "I Win" buttons, they can simply not use it and it won't affect them. Why take that choice away from the players who like "I Win" buttons?

Hyperbole aside, whether or not enemies give EXP does affect my game. If enemies give EXP, and I see a group of enemies which I can sneak by, I will generally fight them instead. I do so not because I want to fight them, not because I need to fight them, but because bypassing them would be weakening my character. Fighting them is simply a glorified method of opening a treasure chest containing experience and/or loot. On the other hand, if enemies don't give EXP then they are no longer fancy placeholders for making my character more powerful. Instead I can view them as actual enemies; how I deal with them depends on what my goals are - or what my character's goals are.

Viewing enemies as actual enemies to deal with as I see fit - instead of as a resource which magically and nonsensically makes my character more powerful - provides me with a far more immersive gaming experience.

the scanning planets is the worst part of this game. nothing's fun of it except shooting the probes. i actually would take the mako over the scanning. i felt excited to actually visit the planet and explore even though it was boring as hell. i think they just needed to make the exploration a lot more fun. i say, revamp the mako and instead of just finding minerals, you'll discover mysteries, and mini side quests that will unlock cool stuff.

i disagree they should bring back loots but they should create missions or integrate it into missions where you'll be rewarded with different armor, weapons, etc. i think that would be more fulfilling.

Patryn

Kenaras said:
Giving the player an "I Win" button would also give them more choice in how they play. After all, if someone doesn't like "I Win" buttons, they can simply not use it and it won't affect them. Why take that choice away from the players who like "I Win" buttons?

Hyperbole aside, whether or not enemies give EXP does affect my game. If enemies give EXP, and I see a group of enemies which I can sneak by, I will generally fight them instead. I do so not because I want to fight them, not because I need to fight them, but because bypassing them would be weakening my character. Fighting them is simply a glorified method of opening a treasure chest containing experience and/or loot. On the other hand, if enemies don't give EXP then they are no longer fancy placeholders for making my character more powerful. Instead I can view them as actual enemies; how I deal with them depends on what my goals are - or what my character's goals are.

Viewing enemies as actual enemies to deal with as I see fit - instead of as a resource which magically and nonsensically makes my character more powerful - provides me with a far more immersive gaming experience.

So other players should suffer because you have low self control?

mujun

Patryn said:

You can make the same choice by doing lots of sidequests or not doing lots of sidequests.

Why does XP from killing enemies have to be the only way?

At first I thought that I wasn't going to like the new XP/level up system but after playing through the game the first time I've grown to like it and would be happy with either the system from the first game or the second in the last game in the series.

soldat7

If I were to assign review scores, I'd give Mass Effect 1 a 9.5/10 and Mass Effect 2 a solid 8.5. Too much of the game disappointed me to score it any higher.

Edit: And what in the world happened to the music. Seriously, it sucks. Mass Effect 1 is one of my favorite soundtracks and this one was utter garbage.

Patryn

mujun said:
You can make the same choice by doing lots of sidequests or not doing lots of sidequests.

Why does XP from killing enemies have to be the only way?

At first I thought that I wasn't going to like the new XP/level up system but after playing through the game the first time I've grown to like it and would be happy with either the system from the first game or the second in the last game in the series.

I guess, to be a bit more serious, for me it took away a lot of the appeal of killing enemies. Instead of having value, they're just in the way. Who cares if I kill them or not?

I prefer having the enemies be an end in and of themselves, rather than a minor annoyance. It hurt the combat for me.

Kenaras said:
Not what I said in the slightest, but I'm not surprised. I didn't expect you'd make the effort to understand.

You said, and I quote, "Hyperbole aside, whether or not enemies give EXP does affect my game. If enemies give EXP, and I see a group of enemies which I can sneak by, I will generally fight them instead. I do so not because I want to fight them, not because I need to fight them, but because bypassing them would be weakening my character."

The idea that you're "weakening" your character is just your own idea. If the game is balanced correctly, and it offers you the ability to sneak past a group of enemies, then it's a valid option.

For instance, in Mass Effect 1, the game scaled in such a way as to not punish players who chose not to do the side missions. The EXP you gained from killing the enemies was the reward for doing so, but you didn't have to get it.

It's your own decision, and apparent lack of self-control, to NOT take that option.

I understand that you think you get the same value with a MISSION COMPLETE screen, but I disagree. You miss out on things like the random Thresher Maws, or the random squads of mercs you can encounter. It also doesn't take into account awarding of variable amounts of EXP, such as how ME awarded 3x more EXP for a kill on foot as opposed to a kill in the Mako.

Finally, a MISSION COMPLETE screen after a pure quick kill like the Maw would be even more distracting than it normally is. By only giving EXP for missions, it's segmenting the game even moreso than it already is, which is something I object to.

soldat7

Patryn said:
I guess, to be a bit more serious, for me it took away a lot of the appeal of killing enemies. Instead of having value, they're just in the way. Who cares if I kill them or not?

I prefer having the enemies be an end in and of themselves, rather than a minor annoyance. It hurt the combat for me.

Agreed.

Perhaps this just never happened to me, but do enemies use their biotic powers on you in this game? I remember random biotics would pull and lift me in the first game.

Pancakes

DeaconKnowledge said:
Perhaps this just never happened to me, but do enemies use their biotic powers on you in this game? I remember random biotics would pull and lift me in the first game.

Scions use Shockwave, some biotics use warp, that's about all I can think of.

PBalfredo

DeaconKnowledge said:
The funny thing about this game is that personally I find the best, most fully fleshed out character in both games to be Tali, which is completely by accident considering that she was so worthless and invisible in the first game (and even then, she only make sense if you romance her:
Realizing just how badly she wants you makes her invisibility in the first game appear as shyness - She has no idea how to approach you and thinks that you see her as a mask instead of a woman.
. Tali falling in love with Shepard makes sense; everyone else only seems to do it because he's the Alpha male/female and the rest of the crew are schlubs and/or icky aliens.
I agree. The revelation that Tali
has been crushing on Shepard from the first game makes romancing her more meaningful than some of the other love interests. It feels like ME1 was the "first date" and now having sex with Tali is more about taking it to the next level, rather than just a reaction to stress and hormones.

soldat7

PBalfredo said:
has been crushing on Shepard from the first game makes romancing her more meaningful than some of the other love interests. It feels like ME1 was the "first date" and now having sex with Tali is more about taking it to the next level, rather than just a reaction to stress and hormones.

I put her in her place, just like everyone else in ME2.
I'm VERY curious to see what happens between Ashley and Shepard in ME3 as a result.

DeaconKnowledge said:

Even if you don't romance her,
if you talk to Kelly after you recruit Tali, Kelly will tell you that she can tell that Tali wants to be more than friends.

Of course, BW then took this and made it into 3 conversations about danger and trust with only a few lines about actual feelings, but VIDEOGAMES

Kenaras

PBalfredo said:

A lot of Shepards were crushing on Tali during the first game too. :D

Cep

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Even if you don't romance her,
if you talk to Kelly after you recruit Tali, Kelly will tell you that she can tell that Tali wants to be more than friends.

Of course, BW then took this and made it into 3 conversations about danger and trust with only a few lines about actual feelings, but VIDEOGAMES

Stupidly large cast is stupidly large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom