• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RdN

djtortilla said:
does installing game on xbox360 make a big difference?

I hate the loading screens, especially after dying.

It reduces loadings considerably.. Best example I have is when entering the citadel you have to wait for the C-Sec guard to scan you (while the game is loading the Zakera Wards). If you have the game installed, the guard will say "Sorry for the inconvenience, sir" just once.. while if you don't he'll say it two, maybe 3 times.

vhfive

OMG Aero said:
Can anyone else confirm this? I've been loading all my save files from Mass Effect 1 and my earliest one is right after Virmire. Even then if I pick every single Renegade option I get when talking to Liara (Who I seemingly locked myself down to) I still get the love scene. The best I can do is turn her down during that love scene.
my renegade shepard didn't romance in mass effect 1 (or in 2 she doesn't want anyone holding her down) and i dont have a picture on my desk.

Jinjo

Currently rolling as an Infiltrator on my Insanity playthrough from scratch. (no imports) So far I mostly focused on upgrading, Disruptor ammo, Cloak, Operative & Geth Shield Boost. Any other tips?

First playthrough (hardcore) I was a Sentinel. Still my favourite class in the game even though I just got the Widow sniper rifle for my Infiltrator. Sentinel strips those defenses like it is nothing.

Will probably be trying Vanguard after.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
vhfive said:
my renegade shepard didn't romance in mass effect 1 (or in 2 she doesn't want anyone holding her down) and i dont have a picture on my desk.

The question is whether or not you pursued the romance at all. If you didn't, then there's no picture on your desk (as in you didn't talk to them enough or you dismissed them). If you actually get to the scene where they confront you before Ilos, and THEN turn them down, someone said you'll still get their picture on your desk.

vhfive

GuardianE said:
The question is whether or not you pursued the romance at all. If you didn't, then there's no picture on your desk (as in you didn't talk to them enough or you dismissed them). If you actually get to the scene where they confront you before Ilos, and THEN turn them down, someone said you'll still get their picture on your desk.
oh, i didn't even talk to my crew in mass effect 1, so i guess i can't answer your question. my shepard needs to be seen as the leader, set apart from the crew and not seen as their friend.

Subitai

EatChildren said:
Everyone knows real Shepard is a female and an Infiltrator.

Also its my Shepard and not anybody elses.
1st Shepard was a female vangard that I stopped cause charge wasn't doing anything for me.
Then a male soldier.
After that I'm not sure yet. Prob. infiltrator or retry vanguard.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Subitai said:
1st Shepard was a female vangard that I stopped cause charge wasn't doing anything for me.
Then a male soldier.
After that I'm not sure yet. Prob. infiltrator or retry vanguard.

Not even joking that the Vanguard really shines once you max out charge and max out Assault Mastery. Until then, it seems lackluster. Once you have it, you're invincible (not in insanity).

Sai

DeaconKnowledge said:
Perhaps this just never happened to me, but do enemies use their biotic powers on you in this game? I remember random biotics would pull and lift me in the first game.
Vanguards use Warp, Harbinger uses Warp and Singularity.

Better than the way enemy Biotics were presented in the first game, but I still think they fall short. Don't have to be as powerful as the Biotics of Shepard and his crew, but it would've been nice to see Throw and Pull used by the enemy as well.

Lakitu

st5fu
Mr. Durden said:
So euhm, dlc?

Yes... I need some desperately. Completed it a second time yesterday, got all upgrades (except for Heavy Weave 5/5... where is it? :() and I played some post game today, Kelly came up to my room and did her thing but no one else wants to speak to me and there's nothing else I can do besides have drinks on Citadel, Illium and Omega. I need me some Hammerhead DLC.

So I beat the game and it gave me the option to start over or continue playing that game. I chose to continue playing, there's a few side quests I want to mop up and I wanted to chat with my crew. Quick question, can I still choose to do the new game carry over any time I want? That wasn't a one time only decision was it?

Dresden

JayDubya said:
Yeah, it kind of breaks immersion for me that I can pull and throw with my biotics, but all they can do is deal damage.
The testers probably found out that getting hit by Pull=instant death for the players. Just wouldn't jive with the cover system.

Subitai

GuardianE said:
Not even joking that the Vanguard really shines once you max out charge and max out Assault Mastery. Until then, it seems lackluster. Once you have it, you're invincible (not in insanity).
Yup, my next run is on Insanity, so that's why I'm not going try it again. Maybe I'll go back though.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
so several GAF members have received the Mass Effect N7 shirts I have sent over to them. I dare them to take a picture of themselves with the shirt on to show people some N7 Love.

Skilotonn, yours will probably take over 2 weeks to get there from the US, but I've never sent anything to the country you reside in, so I am just giving a wild guess haha.

Erebus

I'm counting 27 hours so far and I just retrieved the IFF device. I also have completed all the loyalty missions. How many missions do I need to take on before the IFF is fully functional?

Patryn

DarkUSS said:
I'm counting 27 hours so far and I just retrieved the IFF device. I also have completed all the loyalty missions. How many missions do I need to take on before the IFF is fully functional?

One generally. Some have had two.

Subitai

JayDubya said:
That's basically how it is for the enemies - fair is fair. :p
I imagine a lot of weaksauce gamer testers were crying to much, and they probably got too many complaints about taking on Matriarch Benezia and her Asari Commandos in ME1.

soldat7

Jack Wall...ugh. I wonder if Sam Hulick was forced to take a backseat in Mass Effect 2, or if the music team just had an off year (or two.). :(

There's just nothing like this in Mass Effect 2, and that's a darn shame.

dralla

actually, you hear the Vigil song in the background when you meet Ashley. only memorable part musically, even if it was just an ME1 song

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Zeitgeister said:
A lowly Soldier. Imported from ME1 though.

And pretty useless against the last boss, to be honest. Ammo suddenly became something of a problem there.
No way. Soldiers get to spray with every weapon in the game. My Vanguard was stuck throwing rocks at the final boss.

hermit7

DeaconKnowledge said:
So what's everyone's primary class?

Infiltrator representin'.

Inflitrator, Sentinel, and Vanguard.

I have to say that the Vanguard was my favorite playthrough.

Just started a new character that I didn't import, and I already don't like him. May have to find a new character to import.

Just finished it.

I didn't think much of the first Mass Effect, but goddamn, Mass Effect 2 has turned me into a believer. What an amazing, amazing game. Best RPG I've played in quite some time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
soldat7 said:
Jack Wall...ugh. I wonder if Sam Hulick was forced to take a backseat in Mass Effect 2, or if the music team just had an off year (or two.). :(

There's just nothing like this in Mass Effect 2, and that's a darn shame.

I disagree. Listening to the OST there's a ton of fantastic tracks, sadly subdued in the game and hard to hear. The Illusive Man's theme is brilliant, and many of the tracks are remixes or inspired by chords from tracks in the original. Just listen to the themes for
Garrus, Legion, Tali, and some others
to hear old songs given new life.

I dont think its perfect but its still very good. I really like
The Collector Base
track, almost exclusively for the eery synth at ~1:40 onwards.

Kenaras

Sir Garbageman said:
Vanguard maleShep paragon for my 1st run through. Planning on going Inflitrator femShep renegade next.

Same here. I did the same in ME1, and I'm near the end of my ME2 Insanity Infiltrator playthrough now.

I don't play pure paragon/renegade, though. I roleplay favoring that mindset, but use a mix of paragon/neutral/renegade options. Contrary to popular belief, it's easy to get enough paragon/renegade points to solve any problem with charm/intimidate; in that regard, pure playthroughs are complete overkill.

Subitai said:
Yup, my next run is on Insanity, so that's why I'm not going try it again. Maybe I'll go back though.
Vanguards are super fun to play with, even on insanity. The start might be a little rough, but just focus on maxing out Charge to get Heavy Charge and then max out your class talent so you can charge more often.

Sober

Zeitgeister said:
A lowly Soldier. Imported from ME1 though.

And pretty useless against the last boss, to be honest. Ammo suddenly became something of a problem there.
Hell no. Unsure about insanity, but on Hardcore, all I had to do was hit adrenaline rush and I shot down 3 of 4 of those tubes before they retracted. The LMG (Assault Rifle from the derelict Collector ship) plus AP ammo with just adrenaline rush made the boss fight end so fast that Harbinger didn't even decide to show up.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dilly said:
I'm considering buying the books, are they good?

Some people will call foul on how cheesy they are, and how simplistic the writing is, but if you're a sucker for the Mass Effect universe they're good enough to read. But I'm one of those people who'll lap up everything for this franchise :p.

soldat7

Dilly said:

They were better than I expected. The author is also the lead writer on the games, so if you like the writing in the games, you'll like the books.

Prine

Banned
Why is this game 2 discs? I got 2 more people to recruit, but so far i cant see what BioWare have added that counldnt be on a single disk.

Dont spoil if the reason is near the end.

EatChildren

Prine said:
Why is this game 2 discs? I got 2 more people to recruit, but so far i cant see what BioWare have added that counldnt be on a single disk.

Thats pretty special ability to have. You know, being able to calculate the sum total filesize of all assets (models, textures, engine, voice work, music, shaders, worlds, FMVs, animations, etc).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Prine said:

My understanding is that certain heavily scripted missions are on different discs. The galaxy map and the Normany, however, are on both discs. For example, I could go to a loyalty mission and be forced to change to disc 2, or I could instead recruit another character and stay on disc 1.

WaltJay

Dilly said:

They are decent; they helped fill in the story gaps pre-ME1 and between ME1 and ME2. If you are a fan of the lore, you'll like them. Each of the two books covers a subject referenced in the games, so it's kind of cool to get more details. Well, cool to me anyway. :lol

JayDubya

Banned
Cerberus Station, Freedom's Progress, Horizon, all four required recruitment missions are all on Disc 1.

Ilium is only on Disc 2. I think Tuchanka is only on Disc 2.

The Citadel is on both discs, but I don't know about the two Loyalty missions there. And so on.

Peff

Subitai said:
What about the issues of Liara's comic? I got the 1st one with the col. ed. and it seemed ok.

The second issue is similar in quality. There are other two yet to be released, one in two weeks and the last one the following month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom