• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
dejan said:

Also, the DLC is important enough for Casey Hudson to be demonstrating the demos to the press -- so it's a hands-off approach with a guide to boot.

Fitz

EatChildren said:
Havent seen this posted. A ME2 patch will be released on Feb 22nd, as announced here.

Not that I've experienced it personally, but no news there as to the bug where Shepard can get stuck above, or in weird positions on the terrain, meaning you usually have to reload a save.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Caspel said:
Also, the DLC is important enough for Casey Hudson to be demonstrating the demos to the press -- so it's a hands-off approach with a guide to boot.

I assume it will be the Hammerhead. I wonder if it will be free or paid.

Salz01

I just wonder how big the DLC is. Just a few 'fetch' missions, or a side plot that lasts 'X' amount of missions with a big ending.

Dresden

Salz01 said:
I just wonder how big the DLC is. Just a few 'fetch' missions, or a side plot that lasts 'X' amount of missions with a big ending.
I'm beginning to think that it's the latter, since there's no way they had to take this long to put in just the Hammerhead... right?

Peff

EatChildren said:
I assume it will be the Hammerhead. I wonder if it will be free or paid.

If they're going out of their way to announce something we know is coming it's likely that it's a paid download now. Hopefully it also means it'll be meaty.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dresden said:
I'm beginning to think that it's the latter, since there's no way they had to take this long to put in just the Hammerhead... right?

I dont think anybody really understands how the Hammerhead is going to work at all, especially after the Mako. There's nowhere in ME2 where the Hammerhead would make sense, so to be used like the Mako one could assume lots of terrain to explore. But lots of content usually doesnt equate to the DLC being free, which from what we've heard it will be.

All we know is a hovertank is coming along in some form.

Patryn

EatChildren said:
I dont think anybody really understands how the Hammerhead is going to work at all, especially after the Mako. There's nowhere in ME2 where the Hammerhead would make sense, so to be used like the Mako one could assume lots of terrain to explore. But lots of content usually doesnt equate to the DLC being free, which from what we've heard it will be.

I'm curious if they'll give us the Hammerhead and a single mission for us to get a taste for it for free, and then release a larger mission pack that will actually cost money.

Dresden

Aw, just got my email back from EA. I think they know about people spamming them to get free codes now. :lol So much for getting the Incisor sniper rifle.

EatChildren

Patryn said:
I'm curious if they'll give us the Hammerhead and a single mission for us to get a taste for it for free, and then release a larger mission pack that will actually cost money.

That would be fine. Idealy I'd like something at least as good as Bring Down the Sky, which I felt had a really awesome balance of exploration, Mako driving, and on-foot combat. If Hammerhead missions were similar in style I'd happy throw money down.

I really hope they're not 100% combat focused. It wouldn't surpise me if they were, but I want a little bit of exloration. More Bring Down the Sky, less Novera and Feros runs.

Salz01

EatChildren said:

It would be nice to have both hovertank and 'on foot' sections in the same mission. I would think that would be the case for this DLC.
Either way, I'm getting it right from the start. (I still havent finished the main quest savoring each morsel)

Dan Yo

Banned
Caspel said:
I have news for all you Mass Effect 2 fans.

I can safely say that new Mass Effect 2 DLC is going to be announced before/at GDC =)

Mass Effect 2 DLC to be shown at GDC
And here I was playing through the game ever so slowly hoping to have the hammerhead and Kasumi any day now. Ah well, guess I might as well just blast through it since this DLC likely won't be out for at least 3 weeks to a month now.

I wonder if it would be too much to hope for a major story addition within this upcoming DLC? Say changes to the endgame and a sneak peak at the threat and story elements to come? Maybe new skins for the crew members and what nots? :D

Patryn

Revelations said:
I wonder if it would be too much to hope for a major story addition within this upcoming DLC? Say changes to the endgame and a sneak peak at the threat and story elements to come? Maybe new skins for the crew members and what nots? :D

Yes, it is too much to ask.

The endgame is never going to be changed, and you likely won't see new threats and the like until Bioware is ready to start releasing trailers for ME3 or possibly if they do an Awakenings-style expansion pack.

Salz01 said:
It would be nice to have both hovertank and 'on foot' sections in the same mission. I would think that would be the case for this DLC.
Either way, I'm getting it right from the start. (I still havent finished the main quest savoring each morsel)

Ha! Me too! I'm 71 hours in and just recruited my last squadmate and have about 3 loyalty missions left. I don't plan on doing those until next week. I really don't want to end this game.

Patryn said:
Yes, it is too much to ask.

The endgame is never going to be changed, and you likely won't see new threats and the like until Bioware is ready to start releasing trailers for ME3 or possibly if they do an Awakenings-style expansion pack.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. Awakenings added alot to Dragon age. New squad member. Additional story elemnts.. new area. New weapons and armor. I am hoping for the best. Really hoping for Fallout 3 level expansions.

Patryn

Revelations said:
Ha! Me too! I'm 71 hours in and just recruited my last squadmate and have about 3 loyalty missions left. I don't plan on doing those until next week. I really don't want to end this game.

How have you possibly put in 71 hours and still have three loyalty missions left? Have you depleted every possible planet?

Patryn said:
How have you possibly put in 71 hours and still have three loyalty missions left? Have you depleted every possible planet?

I depleted all of Omega and some of the hourglass nebula. Thats about all the mining I did. Other than that I just talked to everyone and did most of those little 40exp missions. I did about 3 N7 missions. Heh just playing this game casually will yield you probably 100+ hours dude. :D

Dresden

Revelations said:
I depleted all of Omega and some of the hourglass nebula. Thats about all the mining I did. Other than that I just talked to everyone and did most of those little 40exp missions. I did about 3 N7 missions. Heh just playing this game casually will yield you probably 100+ hours dude. :D
Dude, no. :lol You could probably walk through every single portion of the game and it wouldn't yield 100 hours. No idea how that's possible unless you deplete every single planet in the game.

I've beaten the game three times on Insanity, which is supposedly the longest difficulty to play through, and I barely clock in at sixty hours TOTAL for all three.

Patryn

Revelations said:

I did every single mission (N7, loyalty, story and recruitment), mined more than was needed, got 100 percent in every system and I hit... 33 hours?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Revelations said:
No.

Thats gotta be mostly mining time...

I did pretty much everything (only half of the N7 missions) and hit 35 hours. I played on Veteran though, I can easily see how Insanity would take a lot longer. I'm waiting for 6 months before going for the Insanity run, let a bit of DLC build up first.

Cep

Banned
My first playthrough, I played on insanity and did everything.

I also mined way too much. I ended at 64 hours.

My second and third playthroughs on insanity did not last even half of that.

DY_nasty said:
No.

Thats gotta be mostly mining time...

You still have to count in idle times and just general bullshitting around. Talking to every npc. Listening in on every convo and trying to find every N7 mission. And going through every convo option at a casual pace. Not to mention the necessary want to take things slow and easy on Insanity. That will yield longer duration tally.

soldat7

Dresden said:
Dude, no. :lol You could probably walk through every single portion of the game and it wouldn't yield 100 hours. No idea how that's possible unless you deplete every single planet in the game.

I've beaten the game three times on Insanity, which is supposedly the longest difficulty to play through, and I barely clock in at sixty hours TOTAL for all three.

People play games differently and at their own pace. My one and only playthrough was 50 hours on Veteran.

pringles

Dresden said:

My first playthrough on Veteran clocked in at about 57 hours. And I didn't do all of the N7 missions and had a ton of unscanned systems.

I'm on insanity right now and already 20 hours in and nowhere close to finishing. Honestly I don't understand how anyone can finish the game that fast without completely rushing through it, missing out on a ton of dialogue, sidequests and so on..

Cep

Banned
Revelations said:
You still have to count in idle times and just general bullshitting around. Talking to every npc. Listening in on every convo and trying to find every N7 mission. And going through every convo option at a casual pace. Not to mention the necessary want to take things slow and easy on Insanity. That will yield longer duration tally.

Only your first time. Subsequent playthroughs, not so much.

Kenaras

My first playthrough was over 50 hours on Veteran. Finished all the loyalty missions, and all the sidequests I found - but I didn't explore every planet, so I'm sure there were some N7 missions I missed. I also didn't do enough mining to complete every upgrade, but I did get most of them.

My second playthrough on Insanity is currently at 33 hours, and getting close to the end. I know everyone has their own pace, but three playthroughs in 60 hours sounds like basically speedrunning through the game.

Dresden

Kenaras said:
My first playthrough was over 50 hours on Veteran. Finished all the loyalty missions, and all the sidequests I found - but I didn't explore every planet, so I'm sure there were some N7 missions I missed. I also didn't do enough mining to complete every upgrade, but I did get most of them.

My second playthrough on Insanity is currently at 33 hours, and getting close to the end. I know everyone has their own pace, but three playthroughs in 60 hours sounds like basically speedrunning through the game.
I do every loyalty quest and two N7 missions, usually. I think most people just take too long.

The second and third playthroughs also have the benefit of you understanding enemy spawn points and dialog choices. Skipping dialog which you've already heard, along with speeding through every encounter killing less than half the enemies you killed before, while skipping entire sections... maybe you shouldn't dawdle so much.

My first insanity (Engineer) playthrough took 21 hours total. That was with me talking to everyone, looking through planets, and mining shit. :lol The other two were less.

Kenaras

Dresden said:
I do every loyalty quest and two N7 missions, usually. I think most people just take too long.

The second and third playthroughs also have the benefit of you understanding enemy spawn points and dialog choices. Skipping dialog which you've already heard, along with speeding through every encounter killing less than half the enemies you killed before, while skipping entire sections... maybe you shouldn't dawdle so much.

My first insanity (Engineer) playthrough took 21 hours total. That was with me talking to everyone, looking through planets, and mining shit. :lol The other two were less.

Maybe I shouldn't dawdle so much? Why not? Is there some kind of bonus for speedrunning through the game?

Dresden

Kenaras said:
Maybe I shouldn't dawdle so much? Why not? Is there some kind of bonus for speedrunning through the game?
No, but I do get annoyed at the thought that I purposefully play the game intending to finish as fast as I could. I still do damn near everything worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom