• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenaras

Dresden said:
No, but I do get annoyed at the thought that I purposefully play the game intending to finish as fast as I could. I still do damn near everything worthwhile.

Maybe so, but your idea of what's worthwhile isn't the same as everyone's.

pringles

Dresden said:
The second and third playthroughs also have the benefit of you understanding enemy spawn points and dialog choices. Skipping dialog which you've already heard, along with speeding through every encounter killing less than half the enemies you killed before, while skipping entire sections...
yeah..that sounds like speedrunning to me. I'm glad you enjoy playing that way but I just can't imagine playing like that. "skipping entire sections".. but those sections are what I play FOR. I don't play because I love the credits screen and want to get to it as fast as possible.

Dresden

pringles said:
yeah..that sounds like speedrunning to me. I'm glad you enjoy playing that way but I just can't imagine playing like that. "skipping entire sections".. but those sections are what I play FOR. I don't play because I love the credits screen and want to get to it as fast as possible.
Why would you want to fight generic enemy #999 for the second or third time? If I can skip fights, I will. Tali's loyalty quest comes to mind. You play to see the story unfold in a different way, see what Renegade/paragon decisions do, and to see what happens when you fuck over some npc's.

Dan Yo

Banned
Dresden said:
I do every loyalty quest and two N7 missions, usually. I think most people just take too long.

The second and third playthroughs also have the benefit of you understanding enemy spawn points and dialog choices. Skipping dialog which you've already heard, along with speeding through every encounter killing less than half the enemies you killed before, while skipping entire sections... maybe you shouldn't dawdle so much.

My first insanity (Engineer) playthrough took 21 hours total. That was with me talking to everyone, looking through planets, and mining shit. :lol The other two were less.
Skipping entire sections? What exactly was your motive there? Some kind of race you're having with a friend? Personally I go through every area and check every corner to make sure I find every possible upgrade, weapon, or mission.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm sure this must have been mentioned somewhere, but this thread is way too long now. Just how dumbed down is the gameplay in ME2? I've read that at the very least, the inventory and equipment system is severely oversimplified. I'd agree that the inventory system in ME left much to be desired (oh joy, look at this box full of neat new stuff...wait, I have to trash NEW stuff instead of old stuff first?) but from what I've read, some people think they just went too far in the other direction.

Dresden

DarthWoo said:
I'm sure this must have been mentioned somewhere, but this thread is way too long now. Just how dumbed down is the gameplay in ME2? I've read that at the very least, the inventory and equipment system is severely oversimplified. I'd agree that the inventory system in ME left much to be desired (oh joy, look at this box full of neat new stuff...wait, I have to trash NEW stuff instead of old stuff first?) but from what I've read, some people think they just went too far in the other direction.
Yup, and lots of people would agree with you. At this point, it's like beating on the skeleton of a dead horse, though. Discussed to hell and back.

I've played through 3 times now, the longest being 31 hours and I did everything. I really don't get where the extra 20-30hours are coming from. Whatever though, enjoy the game in whatever way works for people.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Dresden said:
Yup, and lots of people would agree with you. At this point, it's like beating on the skeleton of a dead horse, though. Discussed to hell and back.

I was asking exactly how bad it is, as I don't have the game yet and haven't been able to find a brief but itemized account of the issue. I really don't know how bad it is, so hearing that people agree with me doesn't tell me all that much.

witness

Rabbit Lord said:
I've played through 3 times now, the longest being 31 hours and I did everything. I really don't get where the extra 20-30hours are coming from. Whatever though, enjoy the game in whatever way works for people.

Same here, my first run was 31 hours and I did hours of mining and searching around the galaxy charting planets and looking for sidequests. I don't understand how it takes some people more than 40 hours, almost 60 though is crazy to me.

Patryn

DarthWoo said:
I was asking exactly how bad it is, as I don't have the game yet and haven't been able to find a brief but itemized account of the issue. I really don't know how bad it is, so hearing that people agree with me doesn't tell me all that much.

It's not simplified, it's non-existent. They completely changed it.

You get between 2 and 4 weapons total in each weapon category (there are five categories: pistol, SMG, assault rifle, shotgun and sniper rifle). There are no visible stats. Weapons are upgrades using a research system.

You choose your load-out at the beginning of a mission, and can only change it at certain "lockers."

Your squad members have no armor whatsoever, and Shepard's armor can be assembled from a small amount of various armor pieces. On the upside, you can adjust the color and pattern scheme of it, unless you're using a DLC armor, which is one piece with a non-removable helmet.

Weird place to commit account suicide.

conman

Well, looks like I just got my reward for finishing the game this morning. Thanks for that. :lol

Rabbit Lord said:
I've heard this from other people. I really don't get how people are going so fast.

Took me just over 40 hours for my playthrough. I did all the loyalty missions, but I definitely didn't do all the sidequests and upgrades. I'd guess that it would have taken me closer to 50 if I had. But I also know that I left the game paused quite a bit, so that might explain some of the extra time.

Salsa

i just finished ME1 (pc) wich i started it 2 days ago. Holy fuck at what ive been missing, i mean i knew it would be great, and it has some flaws, but it just blew my mind. First thing tomorrow: go grab ME2 ASAP ! i wanna join the fun.

conman said:
Well, looks like I just got my reward for finishing the game this morning. Thanks for that. :lol

I've heard this from other people. I really don't get how people are going so fast.

Took me just over 40 hours for my playthrough. I did all the loyalty missions, but I definitely didn't do all the sidequests and upgrades. I'd guess that it would have taken me closer to 50 if I had. But I also know that I left the game paused quite a bit, so that might explain some of the extra time.

My first playthrough took 34-35hours and I missed a few things(about half the n7 missions), my 2nd playthrough I beat it under 20 hours but didn't much of the side stuff, only a few N7missions and a few side quests from teh major hubs. In my last playthrough I had the knowledge of the game and was able to do everything in 31hours, and I mean everything. Before I went to get the IFF I double checked with the interwebs and made sure I did everything. I can see how in my first playthrough I could have pushed it to 40hours or so.

pablitomm_uy said:
i just finished ME1 (pc) wich i started it 2 days ago. Holy fuck at what ive been missing, i mean i knew it would be great, and it has some flaws, but it just blew my mind. First thing tomorrow: go grab ME2 ASAP ! i wanna join the fun.

I wish I could wipe my brain of ME1 so I could play it again, the last few hours of that game are amazing. While I feel ME2 is the better game, ME1's ending is amazing.

X26

Banned
seeing as how it's still there he must have been banned from another post, maybe he's doing this in a bunch threads

Ephemeris

Alucrid said:
Wow. :lol At least it had some relevancy to the topic at hand.

Could have done sooooooooooo much better though. I mean damn, such sloppy work. It's like he posted the first pic he found.

I say "he" cause a lady would find a better pic.

Dan Yo

Banned
witness said:
Same here, my first run was 31 hours and I did hours of mining and searching around the galaxy charting planets and looking for sidequests. I don't understand how it takes some people more than 40 hours, almost 60 though is crazy to me.
Did you know that going back to certain planets randomly you will find new missions to do and new upgrades to purchase? How many times did you revisit planets like Illium?

Salsa

Oh, quick question: is the dlc (for 1) worth it ? should i get Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station or go straight to ME2 ?

Patryn

pablitomm_uy said:
Oh, quick question: is the dlc (for 1) worth it ? should i get Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station or go straight to ME2 ?

Yes to Bring Down the Sky, No to Pinnacle Station.

soldat7

Dresden said:
I think most people just take too long.

You're like my Gears of War buddy that will literally see ammo or a COG tag and pass them up because they're not directly in front of where he's going.

Dan Yo said:
Did you know that going back to certain planets randomly you will find new missions to do and new upgrades to purchase? How many times did you revisit planets like Illium?

What quests randomly pop up on Illium if you randomly return?

Dresden

Rabbit Lord said:
What quests randomly pop up on Illium if you randomly return?
New quests will pop up after story missions. You just need to go back after places like
Horizon, and the Collector ship
to access them.

Ataturk

Dresden said:
You just need to go back after places like
Horizon, and the Collector ship
to access them.
Whoa, you can go back to
the Collector ship
? I'm glad I
didn't blow it up now.

Lakitu

st5fu
Dan Yo said:
And here I was playing through the game ever so slowly hoping to have the hammerhead and Kasumi any day now. Ah well, guess I might as well just blast through it since this DLC likely won't be out for at least 3 weeks to a month now.

I don't know, they've already announced the Hammerhead DLC, and they wouldn't really need to promote it if it's free. I think we'll get the Hammerhead before GDC though, I may be wrong though. I think this is going to be Premium DLC content.

Thanks Caspel!

Helmholtz

pablitomm_uy said:
Exactly how I felt after beating the first one two weeks ago. Great game.
I think you'll like the second one, I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Salsa

i apologize in advance for all the ME1 not related to the thread questions :p but how does Bring down the sky works ? i mean i know it adds a new campaign mission but my last save game is of course from before the
last fight with Saren
, so i have to play through that again ? i have to go back ? how do i access this new mission ?

Lakitu

st5fu
pablitomm_uy said:
i apologize in advance for all the ME1 not related to the thread questions :p but how does Bring down the sky works ? i mean i know it adds a new campaign mission but my last save game is of course from before the
last fight with Saren
, so i have to play through that again ? i have to go back ? how do i access this new mission ?

If you have a save before the point of no returns (
Ilos
) then you can access it on the galaxy map as usual, otherwise you'll have to use new game + and play the game through again to access it and to make it have any impact in ME 2 (which to be honest is not a lot). BDtS is fun though, I really enjoyed it. It feels like an uncharted world but a lot better, no minerals, more story, choices, dialogue, better set pieces. It's really well done, but it's an hour at the most. I think it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom