• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Lakitu said:
If you have a save before the point of no returns (
Ilos
) then you can access it on the galaxy map as usual, otherwise you'll have to use new game + and play the game through again to access it and to make it have any impact in ME 2 (which to be honest is not a lot). BDtS is fun though, I really enjoyed it. It feels like an uncharted world but a lot better, no minerals, more story, choices, dialogue, better set pieces. It's really well done, but it's an hour at the most. I think it's worth it.

mmh, will have to think about it, im thinking i dont have a save before
Ilos
and i dunno if i wanna play again all the way to the part where i can choose where to go, also if i start a new game+ or if i actually have a savefile before
Ilos
doesnt that affect the sheppard that im going to import to ME2 ? dont i have to finish the game again after that ? THIS IS SO CONFUSING

Lakitu

st5fu
pablitomm_uy said:
mmh, will have to think about it, im thinking i dont have a save before
Ilos
and i dunno if i wanna play again all the way to the part where i can choose where to go, also if i start a new game+ or if i actually have a savefile before
Ilos
doesnt that affect the sheppard that im going to import to ME2 ? dont i have to finish the game again after that ? THIS IS SO CONFUSING

Yep, if you do have a save before
Ilos
then you'll have to complete the game again all the way to the credits, then once you import there will be two import saves to use for ME 2, since you would have completed the game again. It's easy to tell because there are dates.

Salsa

cant i just start a newgame with my sheppard from the save file just before the
fight with saren
? or do i have to finish the entire game again that way too ? im thinking about the decisions in line of
who should take charge of the council
and all that... do they have an impact at all in ME2 ? cause if dont finish the game again id never make them, right ? :-/ its just weird to not have a savefile AFTER you finished the game, or maybe there is, i dont know, all i know is that if i click "continue" im at the
citadel before the last fight

dankir

I just finished it, what an ending.
The whole suicide mission was great especially the sequence leading up to it and the mission itself.

Fucking Amazing Bioware, going to start my insanity run right now :)

Patryn

pablitomm_uy said:
cant i just start a newgame with my sheppard from the save file just before the
fight with saren
? or do i have to finish the entire game again that way too ? im thinking about the decisions in line of
who should take charge of the council
and all that... do they have an impact at all in ME2 ? cause if dont finish the game again id never make them, right ? :-/ its just weird to not have a savefile AFTER you finished the game, or maybe there is, i dont know, all i know is that if i click "continue" im at the
citadel before the last fight

A NG+ starts at the beginning of the game. There is no way to skip anything. You either revert to an earlier save or start back at the beginning.

Also: Your decisions in ME1 mean very little to almost nothing in ME2. A few dialogues change, but nothing major at all.

They may mean more in ME3 (but I doubt it).

Patryn

pablitomm_uy said:
i think ill just skip the dlc, its getting too complicated :lol

If you're at the end with no pre-Ilos save, it's probably the best thing. Still, if you ever replay ME1, I'd definitely advise picking up Bring Down the Sky. It's really good.

Patryn

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
quick question, if i install disc two/one onto my hardrive (xbox 360) will I still have to switch between the discs?

I'm replying way too much, but, yes. Even with an install, the 360 still does a disc check. So when the game needs Disc 2, it'll require Disc 2 in the drive, and vice versa.

dankir said:
I just finished it, what an ending. The whole suicide mission was great especially the sequence leading up to it and the mission itself.

Fucking Amazing Bioware, going to start my insanity run right now :)
oh god.. what did i just read..............

Salsa

Patryn said:
If you're at the end with no pre-Ilos save, it's probably the best thing. Still, if you ever replay ME1, I'd definitely advise picking up Bring Down the Sky. It's really good.

i actually have a pre-Ilos save, but is pretty far back, and i dont feel like playing the dlc and then finishing the game again, ill just skip it but will keep it around if i ever go back to ME1, thanks.

Dgxoxo

Neo Member
I beat ME1 close to a week ago and just beat ME2. With the memory of ME1 still fresh, I have to say that they are equally great games (sans Graphics of course).

ME1 was a bit frustrating for me because I played Adept; the Adept seemed really weak in the very beginning and fighting the final boss.

I tried Soldier in ME2 and I have really enjoyed it. In short, it dominates and there isn't a single scenario in which it feels weak.

My ending:
Everyone survived for me, and I told the Illusive Man to fuck off. I think I'll replay at a harder difficulty.

GAF, did I rush through the game?
My character ended with:
All loyalty missions complete
Finished Sniper and Assault upgrade
Level 24
A little over the last black bar on renegade
20.5 hours

Patryn

Dgxoxo said:
I beat ME1 close to a week ago and just beat ME2. With the memory of ME1 still fresh, I have to say that they are equally great games (sans Graphics of course).

ME1 was a bit frustrating for me because I played Adept; the Adept seemed really weak in the very beginning and fighting the final boss.

I tried Soldier in ME2 and I have really enjoyed it. In short, it dominates and there isn't a single scenario in which it feels weak.

My ending:
Everyone survived for me, and I told the Illusive Man to fuck off. I think I'll replay at a harder difficulty.

GAF, did I rush through the game?
My character ended with:
All loyalty missions complete
Finished Sniper and Assault upgrade
Level 24
A little over the last black bar on renegade
20.5 hours

Kind of, yes, you did rush. I'm guessing you missed most of the N7 missions (anomaly planet) missions?

If you do those, you should finish at about level 25 or 26 if you either didn't import or imported a character below 50, level 28 if you imported a level 50-59 character, and level 30 if you imported a level 60 character.

Dgxoxo

Neo Member
Patryn said:
Kind of, yes, you did rush. I'm guessing you missed most of the N7 missions (anomaly planet) missions?

If you do those, you should finish at about level 25 or 26 if you either didn't import or imported a character below 50, level 28 if you imported a level 50-59 character, and level 30 if you imported a level 60 character.

My import was level 35. I finished three anomaly planet missions, but didn't complete the chain because they felt boring. I guess that's why I'm a level or two below average.

Karram

Since I played ME1 on PC and playing ME2 on 360. I would like to know if it is worth renting Mass Effect 1 on 360 and rushing through the campaign just to use make different decisions than the default ones in ME2 ?

Dan Yo

Banned
Patryn said:
Also: Your decisions in ME1 mean very little to almost nothing in ME2. A few dialogues change, but nothing major at all.

They may mean more in ME3 (but I doubt it).
Regardless, it would be a bit annoying to play the game one way, then jump into ME2 with default Shepard and be wondering why the heck Wrex and The Council aren't around. Plus you miss all of the little rewarding parts like meeting old characters you've saved, hearing from them in e-mails, and getting extra missions or dialogue sequences because of how you interacted with them in the first.

I know I was quite surprised to see Fist again, since he seemed to me like a throw-away character that Bioware probably wouldn't have taken the time to bring back. Especially considering that a lot of people probably didn't even know there was a way to keep him alive or bothered to try (In ME1, Wrex kills him automatically even if you don't).

Wiggum2007

Dan Yo said:
I know I was quite surprised to see Fist again, since he seemed to me like a throw-away character that Bioware probably wouldn't have taken the time to bring back. Especially considering that a lot of people probably didn't even know there was a way to keep him alive or bothered to try (In ME1, Wrex kills him automatically even if you don't).

I think they overdid this actually, I swear every damn place you went was absolutely crawling with returning insignificant minor characters from ME1. I'm traveling across the whole galaxy how do I keep running into these people!? I guess after gimping the impact of major choices from the first game in ME2, they decided that something needed to transfer over so they just brought back a bunch of the one-off characters.

Fitz

Karram said:
Since I played ME1 on PC and playing ME2 on 360. I would like to know if it is worth renting Mass Effect 1 on 360 and rushing through the campaign just to use make different decisions than the default ones in ME2 ?

Don't bother, certainly is not worth it.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Dan Yo said:

I never actually saw him -
I heard him in Omega but I couldn't find him. Where was he exactly?

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Caspel said:
I have news for all you Mass Effect 2 fans.

I can safely say that new Mass Effect 2 DLC is going to be announced before/at GDC =)

Mass Effect 2 DLC to be shown at GDC

Dan Yo said:
And here I was playing through the game ever so slowly hoping to have the hammerhead and Kasumi any day now. Ah well, guess I might as well just blast through it since this DLC likely won't be out for at least 3 weeks to a month now.

I would love to see Kasumi added to the team within the coming weeks. I don't think Casey would be showcasing just her though and hammerhead. There's no way BioWare would force people to sit through a demonstration of just those two additions -- but hey, I'm just guessing. It's too bad I'm not taking their meeting since I'm only attending GDC for the first day.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I finally got through Horizon on insanity. WOW! What an awesome battle. My attitude went from wanting to hurl my controller through the floor to China to feeling like I actually accomplished something getting through that battle.
So excited to get going again after my workout tonight.

Shrinnan said:
I never actually saw him -
I heard him in Omega but I couldn't find him. Where was he exactly?

He was on the bottom floor of the bar on Illium.

mujun

Truelize said:
I finally got through Horizon on insanity. WOW! What an awesome battle. My attitude went from wanting to hurl my controller through the floor to China to feeling like I actually accomplished something getting through that battle.
So excited to get going again after my workout tonight.
He was on the bottom floor of the bar on Illium.

If you wanted to break your controller on Horizon....

There are at least 3 or 4 points considerably harder than that to come.

mujun said:
If you wanted to break your controller on Horizon....

There are at least 3 or 4 points considerably harder than that to come.
Like the
thresher maw?
That was the first time in a while that I died on Veteran. Hardcore is really going to test the line between challenge and fun.

Socreges

Banned
So lately I haven't been getting the majority of the extra Paragon (blue) and Renegade (red) options. I see them, but they're not selectable. Obviously I haven't got enough of either on the meter. Is this because I've got the two too balanced (both are at about the same point)? Should I have upgrade to Shock Trooper 4 sooner? Or is there something else I might be missing?

Most of these instances are conversations that I can return to, so maybe it's meant to be that way. But others I won't be able to try again as they're one-off types.

Patryn

Socreges said:
So lately I haven't been getting the majority of the extra Paragon (blue) and Renegade (red) options. I see them, but they're not selectable. Obviously I haven't got enough of either on the meter. Is this because I've got the two too balanced (both are at about the same point)? Should I have upgrade to Shock Trooper 4 sooner? Or is there something else I might be missing?

Most of these instances are conversations that I can return to, so maybe it's meant to be that way. But others I won't be able to try again as they're one-off types.

Ding! We have a winner. The game rewards you for playing at the extremes, unfortunately.

dankir

Frester said:
RRoD (for the second time) right before I
was ready to use the Omega 4 relay
:(

Goddamn, I'll pour a 40 in your 360s honor, It's quite an experience as soon as you hit that relay.

Mindlog

Patryn said:
Ding! We have a winner. The game rewards you for playing at the extremes, unfortunately.

death mask and inferno can help a bit

I used death mask to give me just enough renegade to intimidate all the Citadel vendors.

except sirta

sirta gets the favorite status

mujun

ChoklitReign said:
Like the
thresher maw?
That was the first time in a while that I died on Veteran. Hardcore is really going to test the line between challenge and fun.

No.. managed to do that without dying on Insanity.

I mean:

First time you fight on the floating hexagons.

Shooting the core thing with all the zombies when you get the IFF.

The lead up area to the boss fight where there are some instances of double Scion + Harbinger and very little cover.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well, I just finished my Vanguard Insanity run tonight and no achievement. I'm so upset right now. It took me forever to get through and there's no way I changed the difficulty at any point. I remember each fight and how difficult it was. I would know if I'd accidentally changed the setting. This really sucks. :(

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
GuardianE said:
Well, I just finished my Vanguard Insanity run tonight and no achievement. I'm so upset right now. It took me forever to get through and there's no way I changed the difficulty at any point. I remember each fight and how difficult it was. I would know if I'd accidentally changed the setting. This really sucks. :(

Wow, as a Vanguard? Just curious, did you New Game+ and change the difficulty through that, or do it from a clean slate?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Papercuts said:
Wow, as a Vanguard? Just curious, did you New Game+ and change the difficulty through that, or do it from a clean slate?

I did it by importing a Mass Effect 1 character, so I started at level 5. I also had beaten the game already, so I got mineral bonuses and XP bonuses. I had it set to Insanity from the beginning. I specifically remember being reckless in the beginning and dying over and over, so it was definitely Insanity through and through.

I felt so happy when I finally beat it, but then devastated once the achievement didn't pop. I'm so pissed off.

Just thinking back on all the parts that were frustrating, like the
Collector's ship
makes me want to puke. I had actually saved everyone and hit level 30 on this playthrough, too.

Probably a stupid question, but what're the bare minimum requirements for beating the game? Does anyone have to survive? And what's the easiest class to blaze through it with? I'm guessing Infiltrator... or Sentinel.

Dresden

GuardianE said:
I did it by importing a Mass Effect 1 character, so I started at level 5. I also had beaten the game already, so I got mineral bonuses and XP bonuses. I had it set to Insanity from the beginning. I specifically remember being reckless in the beginning and dying over and over, so it was definitely Insanity through and through.

I felt so happy when I finally beat it, but then devastated once the achievement didn't pop. I'm so pissed off.

Just thinking back on all the parts that were frustrating, like the
Collector's ship
makes me want to puke. I had actually saved everyone and hit level 30 on this playthrough, too.

Probably a stupid question, but what're the bare minimum requirements for beating the game? Does anyone have to survive? And what's the easiest class to blaze through it with? I'm guessing Infiltrator... or Sentinel.
Probably the Infiltrator.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think I realized what I did.

There was a point where I went into game options to tally off the party power usage and I accidentally flicked the game to Casual, but I did not save. I exited out, then went back in (still read Insanity) and changed the party power preferences. I'm not even positive if this happened on this playthrough or my Normal one, but it's the only thing that I can think of to explain it (since there's no bug to be found through searches).

That alone must have fucked up my playthrough. Miserable.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I am stuck on top of a shelf in a room. Shepard just cant get off. And I saved and reloaded with no luck. I dont want to reload an earlier save, its a few hours prior.

Any command to restart that mission, or to move me or unstick me?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
AndyD said:
So I am stuck on top of a shelf in a room. Shepard just cant get off. And I saved and reloaded with no luck. I dont want to reload an earlier save, its a few hours prior.

Any command to restart that mission, or to move me or unstick me?

The very first option when loading games in the middle of a mission even after you've beaten it is to restart the current mission.

How do you guys walk along the environment to get stuck on things like that? I haven't had it happen to me once yet.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Skilotonn said:
The very first option when loading games in the middle of a mission even after you've beaten it is to restart the current mission.

How do you guys walk along the environment to get stuck on things like that? I haven't had it happen to me once yet.

Cool. I just ran up to it and hit space to use it as cover, instead shepard walked on top of it and stayed there.

Ill have to try restart later.

Gattsu25

Banned
Mass Effect on Insanity is tough fun.

Mass Effect 2 on Insanity is much less enjoyable.

The enemies take too many bullets to down which is a killer considering how ammo starved you are at the start of the game (e.g. primary weapon only holds 10 bullets). It'll get easier when I get my character some ammo+ upgrades plus a better weapon with a naturally higher clip capacity...but at the point that I'm at it's all frustration all the time.

Tearing down an enemy's Barrier, then Armor, only to have them survive multiple headshots with a sniper rifle is a wee bit aggravating in a game where the difficulty is as front-loaded as it is in this game.

Also, team AI is retarded. If you don't tell them to take cover they stand in the middle of an arena for a few seconds (losing their barrier in the process) and then slowly walk over to cover only to pop out of cover later and again stand in the middle of an arena. If you DO tell them to take cover, you still have to deal with their pitifully slow treck to their cover position.

These are things that were always present, just never as visible, on earlier difficulties.
Skilotonn said:

There where some low laying pipes in the Krogan homeworld that I wanted to climb over. When I touched them my character began to float up to the cieling. Save-->Load didn't fix it. Wish I saved before that happened because it was after an annoying fight with infinitely respawning Krogans.

I'm still on my second play through, taking my time. Trying to pick up a bunch of achievements I didn't get the first run. Trying to get Warp Specialist right now, but every time I use warp on a barrier, my achievement tracker isn't updating like it did with the others. Am I doing something wrong? I'm making sure it destroys the Barrier too. I'm using Miranda's Unstable Warp ability.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ToyMachine228 said:
I'm still on my second play through, taking my time. Trying to pick up a bunch of achievements I didn't get the first run. Trying to get Warp Specialist right now, but every time I use warp on a barrier, my achievement tracker isn't updating like it did with the others. Am I doing something wrong? I'm making sure it destroys the Barrier too. I'm using Miranda's Unstable Warp ability.

It doesn't update with every single use. Keep doing and eventually it'll show an update. I think it shows it every 5 times or so?

God damn the Joker section! It is SHEER trial-and-error without a fucking map. I don't know where the fuck to go in Engineering. I followed the floor lights and wandered into a scion. Worst fucking game decision yet.

WrikaWrek

Banned
ChoklitReign said:
God damn the Joker section! It is SHEER trial-and-error without a fucking map. I don't know where the fuck to go in Engineering. I followed the floor lights and wandered into a scion. Worst fucking game decision yet.

What?

:lol Holy crap i though that was a clear cut scenario. For me there was only one way to go, how the fuck are you getting it wrong? :lol

Dresden

ChoklitReign said:
Huh? Just follow the lights dude. When you get to the stairs, pause a bit and wait for the shadow to pass, then keep moving. That's it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
ChoklitReign said:

This is the first time I read someone having a problem with this very easy part of the game. follow the lights on the floor and go when EDI tells you to go.

kmfdmpig

ChoklitReign said:

Yeah that section is pretty frustrating at first. The good news is that once you get past the first section the rest is pretty straightforward (with just one section where you have to wait a bit).

Booda

ChoklitReign said:

Hint: listen to EDI. She tells you useful things. ("trial-and-error without a map?" LOL)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ChoklitReign said:
Just take it slowly. If you follow the path too quickly you'll get killed. Make sure you wait until the collectors are clearly gone before moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom