• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

clashfan

What a great game! It took me 40 hours to complete. The only disappointment is that the RPG elements was dialed back alitte too much.

Dresden

rhino4evr said:
I don't understand how did he do it?
Just press X+A together when you're getting the last four points in, instead of just pressing A, I think. Sounds like the Dragon Age gold glitch, or just about every console Bioware game's save glitch...

I'm also beginning to think that they leave these things in on purpose. A variation of this trick has been in just about every Bioware game since KOTOR.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Timing is a bitch, but it works.

I'm sure they'll leave this in just like the Lorik'Quinn infinite paragon/renegade glitch in ME1.

Salsa

just started it (vanguard) and so glad at the combat modifications, thank god for headshots. Only thing i noticed is that i cant get cover on walls ? just small boxes ? also no crouching, and run/use/cover on one button feels weird, but i guess its just me being used to the first one since i finished it 2 days ago :p, so far so good.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
pablitomm_uy said:
just started it (vanguard) and so glad at the combat modifications, thank god for headshots. Only thing i noticed is that i cant get cover on walls ? just small boxes ? also no crouching, and run/use/cover on one button feels weird, but i guess its just me being used to the first one since i finished it 2 days ago :p, so far so good.

You can stick to walls for cover. And yes, that one button setup will screw you one day, especially in Insanity :lol

mujun

Just got my 1000 points, woot!

Took me about 60 hours with 3 playthroughs.

Definitely going to get remembered when it comes time for me to decide my personal GOTY.

AzraelXJM

Neo Member
I already own ME2, so thought I better take the time to enjoy ME1. So how do I do that?

I've lost literally hours over the weekend to being killed, usually due to shenanigans like not being able to target something I'm looking right at and getting rushed by loads of enemies, and having to replay massive sections due to the lack of checkpoints. Do I have to hit the quicksave every minute to render the game playable? This is an absolutely terrible game, what on earth has it done to deserve praise? 9/10 for dialogue trees? And of course, every time I have to repeat something I can't dismiss lines of dialogue I've heard or skip cutscenes. I really don't think I've had any fun at all, and can't understand how anyone else does.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
gregor7777 said:
Agreed. But I think it's mostly because of his involvement with one of the more interesting storylines (genophage).

Did I mention he sings!

AzraelXJM said:
I already own ME2, so thought I better take the time to enjoy ME1. So how do I do that?

I've lost literally hours over the weekend to being killed, usually due to shenanigans like not being able to target something I'm looking right at and getting rushed by loads of enemies, and having to replay massive sections due to the lack of checkpoints. Do I have to hit the quicksave every minute to render the game playable? This is an absolutely terrible game, what on earth has it done to deserve praise? 9/10 for dialogue trees? And of course, every time I have to repeat something I can't dismiss lines of dialogue I've heard or skip cutscenes. I really don't think I've had any fun at all, and can't understand how anyone else does.

You can dismiss lines of dialogue, at least it can in the 360 version so I expect it's also possible in the PC version. And you are kinda bad in the game, since this probably is your first playthrough it isn't even a high difficulty and you still seem to die constantly. I don't say this game is perfect or worth his 9/10 but it sure isn't that bad. And just learn to save.

Prine

Banned
Tali's loyalty quest has a similar gameplay structure to ME. Which is why its one of the best quests in the game.

Everyone else loyalty quest has been lacking imo, i still have Grunt and The Justicars loyalty quest though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Laughing Banana said:
Infinite squad points for Xbox360's players, sorry if old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZAq7wcweUQ

Nice if you want to mess around a bit in insanity :)

I'm going to cheat the shit out of this after ME2 took my Insanity Achievement from me. I can't view the video from here. Is there a particular point in the game you have to reach before this works?

Prine said:
Tali's loyalty quest has a similar gameplay structure to ME. Which is why its one of the best quests in the game.

Everyone else loyalty quest has been lacking imo, i still have Grunt and The Justicars loyalty quest though.

The Justicar's was interesting in how different it was, but it's very very short, it's so don't think it'll change your mind. Think Assassin's. I actually liked both of those since they mixed things up from the traditional mission in ME2. I actually really liked Archangel's loyalty quest... there was this real sense of confliction I felt at the climactic moment. I agree that Tali's is the best, though, if for no other reason than how different it can play out and how emotional it can be.

Dresden

AzraelXJM said:

This isn't Halo.

Mr_Zombie

Justicars' loyalty quest is one of my favourite because it's the one of few quests where you don't need to shoot things. Grunt on the other hand is complete opposite - it's just a battle arena, where you had to shoot things. :/

AzraelXJM

Neo Member
Prophet Steve said:
You can dismiss lines of dialogue, at least it can in the 360 version so I expect it's also possible in the PC version. And you are kinda bad in the game, since this probably is your first playthrough it isn't even a high difficulty and you still seem to die constantly. I don't say this game is perfect or worth his 9/10 but it sure isn't that bad. And just learn to save.

I only died "constantly" when I had to fight the Krogan and geth in the round room with no cover, when the stupid krogan ai had him hide to one side until I finds the way back out and starts killing the party in two melee hits each. And each time I had to go through the cutscene of him appearing and the proceeding conversation. And a lift ride, of course.

And I got most of the way through the Peak 15 complex before dying fighting Benezia and got taken back to the start of the Mako section, how is that in any way acceptable? What is it about this game that makes people think they need to make excuses for it?

Dresden said:
This isn't Halo.

How insightful. So fucking what? I played all this shit once, why should I have to do so again?

Arjen

AzraelXJM said:

Which diffuclty are you playing on?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
AzraelXJM said:
I only died "constantly" when I had to fight the Krogan and geth in the round room with no cover, when the stupid krogan ai had him hide to one side until I finds the way back out and starts killing the party in two melee hits each. And each time I had to go through the cutscene of him appearing and the proceeding conversation. And a lift ride, of course.

And I got most of the way through the Peak 15 complex before dying fighting Benezia and got taken back to the start of the Mako section, how is that in any way acceptable? What is it about this game that makes people think they need to make excuses for it?

You need to manually save. There is pretty much no checkpoint system in ME1. I was so used to it that I manually save a ton in ME2, even though I probably don't need to.

Pancakes

Dresden said:
This isn't Halo.

No, but I remember getting through the entire Noveria mako section, only to die inside the base (couldn't save inside due to combat) and having to start all the way from the beginning. This was probably my first or second playthrough but it still pissed me off back then.

It's basically an unwritten rule in Bioware games to save often.

Dresden

AzraelXJM said:
How insightful. So fucking what? I played all this shit once, why should I have to do so again?
Boo fucking hoo. Save more. Saving doesn't even take any time in ME2. And in ME1... how are you dying?

AzraelXJM said:

You should also use you teammates the right way. Give them good equipment and use their abilities. And I agree the saving is stupid and annoying but on the PC you can quick save, insanity on 360 without quick save is a lot more annoying. I agree with you that Krogans are to strong, they are bullet sponges and can one-hit you on Insanity. But just use a lift on him and you'll be alright.

AzraelXJM

Neo Member
Dresden said:
Boo fucking hoo. Save more. Saving doesn't even take any time in ME2.

I shouldn't have to, it's shitty design, fact. Just like the shitty driving and the shitty shooting, Bioware do dialogue trees and fuck all else, KOTOR was playable because they lifted a ruleset from Wizards of the Coast. And the time it takes in ME2 isn't even relevant, since now I may never play it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dresden said:
Boo fucking hoo. Save more. Saving doesn't even take any time in ME2. And in ME1... how are you dying?

If you rush through without questing, it's actually pretty easy to die. Especially on Noveria. If you tackle that world first without leveling in the Citadel, it can be very difficult depending on your class. The beginning portions of the game are harder in general until you become a skill abusing god midway.

Also, since your shooting skill plays little in how difficult a part will be in ME1, it can catch people off guard. It's more about level and equipment. Having played ME2 first, I'm assuming that's a mistake he made. EDIT: Nevermind, he hasn't played ME2 yet.

AzraelXJM said:
I shouldn't have to, it's shitty design, fact. Just like the shitty driving and the shitty shooting, Bioware do dialogue trees and fuck all else, KOTOR was playable because they lifted a ruleset from Wizards of the Coast. And the time it takes in ME2 isn't even relevant, since now I may never play it.

I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice. The gameplay changes from ME1->ME2 are like night and day. And that includes more frequent checkpoints.

dankir

GuardianE said:
You need to manually save. There is pretty much no checkpoint system in ME1. I was so used to it that I manually save a ton in ME2, even though I probably don't need to.

My first run on normal with my imported level 60 guy from ME1 had a total of 27 saves.

I started my Insanity with the same guy now at Level 29 and I have 31 saves and I just recruited Garrus and Mordin.

Holy fuck it's soooooooo much harder on Insanity. You got to be patient and hell and I save after every fight.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
dankir said:
My first run on normal with my imported level 60 guy from ME1 had a total of 27 saves.

I started my Insanity with the same guy now at Level 29 and I have 31 saves and I just recruited Garrus and Mordin.

Holy fuck it's soooooooo much harder on Insanity. You got to be patient and hell and I save after every fight.

I'm neurotic about it. I had over 100 saves before I beat the game in ME1. But I would also save before conversations to see how they would pan out. Something about these games makes me feel like I need to save constantly.

Pancakes

GuardianE said:
I'm neurotic about it. I had over 100 saves before I beat the game in ME1. But I would also save before conversations to see how they would pan out. Something about these games makes me feel like I need to save constantly.

:O.

I'm sure I reached 60 or 70 saves but 100? Damn.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Pankaks said:
:O.

I'm sure I reached 60 or 70 saves but 100? Damn.

Yeah, I'm dumb. :lol That was my first playthrough. My subsequent playthroughs I breezed through them, so I only saved a handful of times... except Insanity, where I saved a whole bunch again.

clashfan

I want to retry the ending of ME2 on 360. Is there anyway to backup my saves on 360 before I do the retry? My 360 has Hard Disk and internal Flash.

Patryn

AzraelXJM said:

Have you thought that maybe that's for the best? Games are supposed to be fun. If you're torturing yourself playing something, just, you know, STOP PLAYING IT.

Not every game is for every person. Some people hate Mario. I found Ocarina of Time dull and frustrating, despite everyone saying it's the greatest game ever. You know what I did? I stopped playing it.

If all you want to do is play Mass Effect 2, then skip all this Mass Effect 1 nonsense and play Mass Effect 2. Otherwise, why not go find some other game to play? At least then you'll have fun.

There is no rule saying YOU MUST PLAY MASS EFFECT 2.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
clashfan said:
I want to retry the ending of ME2 on 360. Is there anyway to backup my saves on 360 before I do the retry? My 360 has Hard Disk and internal Flash.

Why do you have to backup your save to retry? Just create a new save.

You can only "Move" your ME2 profiles, not "Copy" them, so there's no backing up.

If you want to keep your old ending while pursuing a new one, just keep the old save file after you've beaten the game and save in a new slot for your retry.

Obviously, this is for the 360, not the PC. I imagine with the PC there'd be an even easier way to do it.

Lothars

So I am 2 achievements from my 1000 points which are beating the game on insane and doing multiple biotics on an enemy.

I am done all the main missions on my insanity run and I am enjoying it so far but does anyone have any suggestions for doing the multiple biotics on an enemy achievement?

I tried it on husks but as soon as I do a slam on them or a pull from Jacob it kills the husks.

Is there any recommended mission I can try it on such as anomalies or should i just head to the omega 4 relay and attempt it there?

Mr_Zombie said:
Justicars' loyalty quest is one of my favourite because it's the one of few quests where you don't need to shoot things. Grunt on the other hand is complete opposite - it's just a battle arena, where you had to shoot things. :/

Yea, I think Samara and Thane's were my two favorite loyalty missions, and they both kept the shooting to a minimum.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lothars said:
So I am 2 achievements from my 1000 points which are beating the game on insane and doing multiple biotics on an enemy.

I am done all the main missions on my insanity run and I am enjoying it so far but does anyone have any suggestions for doing the multiple biotics on an enemy achievement?

I tried it on husks but as soon as I do a slam on them or a pull from Jacob it kills the husks.

Is there any recommended mission I can try it on such as anomalies or should i just head to the omega 4 relay and attempt it there?

I guess you're too powerful. You could ramp up the difficulty a tad to see if that helped. Pull, then Warp is a good combo. Make sure to select one skill, let it be used, then select the other skill. Don't do them at the same time.

As a Vanguard, it's super easy. You can just Charge into an enemy effected by Pull or Warp.

clashfan

Sir Garbageman said:
Yea, I think Samara and Thane's were my two favorite loyalty missions, and they both kept the shooting to a minimum.

It would have been nice to have more missions that was not just about shooting.

Lothars

GuardianE said:
I guess you're too powerful. You could ramp up the difficulty a tad to see if that helped. Pull, then Warp is a good combo. Make sure to select one skill, let it be used, then select the other skill. Don't do them at the same time.

As a Vanguard, it's super easy. You can just Charge into an enemy effected by Pull or Warp.

That would make sense, I was doing it on Insane against the Husks but I will wait and try it against the collectors or see if I can find a mission will blue suns or something like that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lothars said:
That would make sense, I was doing it on Insane against the Husks but I will wait and try it against the collectors or see if I can find a mission will blue suns or something like that.

Pull kills Husks in one hit on Insanity? That's good to know. I never used anything on them except Heavy Warp and Charge.

Lothars

GuardianE said:
Pull kills Husks in one hit on Insanity? That's good to know. I never used anything on them except Heavy Warp and Charge.

It's the fully powered Pull but it seemed really effective, it's also once you get the armor down but that's normally not that bad to get the armor off them first.

I only found that out last night when I was fighting with the multiple biotics.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Lothars said:
It's the fully powered Pull but it seemed really effective, it's also once you get the armor down but that's normally not that bad to get the armor off them first.

I only found that out last night when I was fighting with the multiple biotics.

Oh yeah, they die pretty much instantly once the armor is down. You should try Warping them with full armor, then Pulling or something. I know Warp affects armored units.

WaltJay

Lothars said:

Also, for any of the "kill x using y" achievements, I would suggest finding a mission where you can get a few kills done, die, and reload the checkpoint. So kill the enemies, die, reload, kill, die, rinse, repeat, etc. until the achievement pops. Even though you die, you still accumlate those achievement-related kills, even though you didn't manually save or reach a checkpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom