• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

suikodan

I don't know if it was answered previously.

I was working on Miranda for the relationship thingy. I did her loyalty mission and was very close in terms of discussion options. Then I did Jack's mission and for those who did it, Miranda and Jack started a fight. There, I picked the option for Miranda to calm herself. She sorta told me to f*** off and the next thing I knew, her loyalty level lowered to normal. When I try talking to her, I have two grey options and the other options won't help.

Am I screwed? Can I be paragon enough to get her back?

Feindflug

I started the game yesterday and saved after I arrived at the
Normandy V2
...the game is very impressive thus far but I have a question: can you change weapons when you are in a mission a la ME1 or you can only choose/change the equipment and the guns for you and your team at the
Normandy
? o_O

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
suikodan said:

I was working on Miranda for the relationship thingy. I did her loyalty mission and was very close in terms of discussion options. Then I did Jack's mission and for those who did it, Miranda and Jack started a fight. There, I picked the option for Miranda to calm herself. She sorta told me to f*** off and the next thing I knew, her loyalty level lowered to normal. When I try talking to her, I have two grey options and the other options won't help.

Unless you get more paragon points, you're screwed. The only way to gain back her loyalty is through those grayed out conversation options. Should've sided with your woman.

Feindflug said:
Normandy V2
...the game is very impressive thus far but I have a question: can you change weapons when you are in a mission a la ME1 or you can only choose/change the equipment and the guns for you and your team at the
Normandy
? o_O

You can change your gun loadout at certain points where there are gun lockers in a level... these are usually wherever you pick up a new gun to test out. Otherwise, the guns you take off the Normandy are the guns you'll have for the mission.

Feindflug said:
Normandy V2
Normandy
? o_O
You can only change weapon load-outs at weapons lockers you encounter in the world or while on your ship. You cannot do it at any time.

Feindflug

GuardianE said:
You can change your gun loadout at certain points where there are gun lockers in a level... these are usually wherever you pick up a new gun to test out. Otherwise, the guns you take off the Normandy are the guns you'll have for the mission.

That doesn't sound good I guess...they really dumbed down/get rid of some options from the first game. :(

Well thanks for the answer though.

Sheperd

Neo Member
suikodan said:

This happened to me as well, only I pissed off Jack.
I finished the game at 39 hours, everyone survived, romanced Tali and for some fucking reason I forgot to wake up Legion. So we never met. I also missed a ton of sidequests. This was probably due to me rushing to end the game. I'll probably play again on Insanity.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Feindflug said:
That doesn't sound good I guess...they really dumbed down/get rid of some options from the first game. :(

Yeah, I mean, if you're only in it for the lootwhoring, this isn't your game. Frankly, if you're a lootwhore, Mass Effect 1 isn't your game because any gun you picked up was the same damn model and design as the last except it did more damage. They cleaned it up a bit, for better or worse. I think better.

rhino4evr

here are my quick endgame thoughts.
Most Improved:
Combat was so much better this time around. Really enjoyed shooting as much as talking in this one, can't say the same for the first game.
Characters were really well written and voice acted, and there were quite a few characters. Enjoyed the story..still one of the most original universes ever created in a game.
Side Quests were 200% better then in the first game. If you are playing this..don't skip out on the side quests, they offer a lot of variety to game with pretty linear mission structures.
Less complicated Loot and inventory system saved me a lot of hassle.

Needs Improvement:
Mission structure was pretty much Talk- Shoot - Talk- Shoot - Talk. For I'd say 80% of the main quest. Not a lot of variety until you did side quests. Its like they had all these gret ideas but couldnt fit them into the main quests.
Conversation Wheel needs to be re-invented. Pick the top choice for good response, pick the bottom choice for bad response needs to be less obvious, so your actual reaction is genuine instead of..wait I want to be a good guy/bad guy.
Stat tracking seemed a little too dumbed down for my tastes. Bring back a little more RPG elements.

Get Rid of It:
Mineral Hunting was boring, and pointless. They just need to get rid of it completely.

So that's all I'd give it a 9/10..I don't think it was a better "RPG" then FAllout 3, but it was definitely a better "action/rpg"

rhino4evr

Feindflug said:

youll find that you will rarely even need to change weapons..as there arent many to choose from anyway. Loot is gone and replaced by "upgrades"

I don't think I'll ever have my "cannon" playthrough until a month or so before Mass Effect 3. I'm on my second playthrough now at 37 hours and when I'm done that'll put me at 50 hours per playthrough which equals 100 hours invested into this game.

There always seems to be something drawing me back in for my "legit" experience. I thought the first playthrough might be it due to it being my first run through the story, but I told myself the second time through would be legit due to knowing what choices to make this time and wanting to have everyone survive and switch up my love interest. I can already see myself doing this all over again before ME3 mostly due to hype and wanting to have my 100% complete experience including all N7 missions and DLC :lol.

Insanity to me has really spiced up the gameplay as a Vanguard. The first quarter to half is pretty bad, but once you start upgrading weapons, armor and etc it's easily a very addicting and rewarding experience. I'm also starting to enjoy Mirandas character a lot more if only because she's probably the best party member in the game for insanity, and once you gain her loyalty costume she looks a lot more appropriate for combat missions.

peppermints said:
Finally got around to buying this and was so excited to import my character from ME1.. only to find out that it has to be from the same hard drive you played it on. I've since upgraded from a 20GB to a 60GB, so I'm out of luck. :(

Guessing there's no way around this?

I was able to import both my ME1 characters, and they'd been copied from a 20GB drive to a 120GB one.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dresden said:
Like female Turians, Krogan, and Batarians, they're mythical beasts of indeterminable beauty.

And while we can see the Quarian females, they're behind masks.

There's going to be a revelation that all alien females look like human supermodels in ME3.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
soldat7 said:
Recruit people, win their loyalty, go on a suicide mission. Awesome story!

Yeah, the story's really nothing that special. I mean, the story is decent enough, but ME1's is probably better. Story is rarely important in these games for me anyway. I'll take interesting characters, and character development over story any day, and that's essentially what ME2 is. Script's still good.

Dan Yo

Banned
GuardianE said:
And while we can see the Quarian females, they're behind masks.

There's going to be a revelation that all alien females look like human supermodels in ME3.
I kind of wonder what Bioware's vision for what the Quarians looked like under their masks was before all of the Tali-love came about and presumably changed that idea in order to make them into something more human and attractive.

soldat7 said:

Yeah. The plot was severely lacking IMO whereas the original was heavy on it-- you were always doing missions related to Saren and Sovereign and you saw the direct effect that Saren's musings were having on the galaxy. About 70% of Mass Effect 2 has nothing to do with Reapers or Collectors or anything. There was very good character development and I commend it for that but the story was a letdown to me.

Cep

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Yeah. The plot was severely lacking IMO whereas the original was heavy on it-- you were always doing missions related to Saren and Sovereign and you saw the direct effect that Saren's musings were having on the galaxy. About 70% of Mass Effect 2 has nothing to do with Reapers or Collectors or anything. There was very good character development and I commend it for that but the story was a letdown to me.

And everyone with an I.Q. higher than 75.

Dan Yo

Banned
soldat7 said:
The story comes in meeting and recruiting the characters, learning about their history, and shaping the events for various characters in the game. If you only look at the sequences and missions that relate to the suicide mission, then you're not paying attention.

Cep said:
And everyone with an I.Q. higher than 75.

I liked the story that was there. When plot progression actually was happening, it was pretty good. But that accounts for about 4-5 hours of the game. Thankfully everything else was well done and interesting enough, I'm just saying that the game didn't have much of a central plot at all.

Sai

I noticed in my last playthrough that activating Legion and triggering it's loyalty mission allowed me to access the galaxy map(before doing so, EDI was telling me to take the shuttle off of the Normandy as usual).

Does this apply to all of your squad and their loyalty missions? If you haven't completed them all before acquiring the Reaper IFF, are you able to access the galaxy map until you've taken care of them all?

steadfast

Sai said:
I noticed in my last playthrough that activating Legion and triggering it's loyalty mission allowed me to access the galaxy map(before doing so, EDI was telling me to take the shuttle off of the Normandy as usual).

Does this apply to all of your squad and their loyalty missions? If you haven't completed them all before acquiring the Reaper IFF, are you able to access the galaxy map until you've taken care of them all?

Technically, yes, but that decision will have other consequences.

Gattsu25

Banned
Was listening to the Giant Bomb podcast today and Vinny mirrors every single one of my complaints with Insanity mode as an Infiltrator :|

Sai

steadfast said:
Technically, yes, but that decision will have other consequences.
Like?

I'm about four missions away from the
Collector Ship
in my current run(
recruit Samara and Thane, with 2-3 random missions/assignments to mess around with before the Illusive Man rings me up
), guess I'll find out soon enough. If I don't like the result, I'll just go back to an earlier save.

steadfast

Sai said:
Like?

I'm about four missions away from the
Collector Ship
in my current run(
recruit Samara and Thane, with 2-3 random missions/assignments to mess around with before the Illusive Man rings me up
), guess I'll find out soon enough. If I don't like the result, I'll just go back to an earlier save.

if you get legion and then do anything else other than his loyalty mission, you will lose kelly. If you do all the other sidequests and then get legion, do his loyalty, then do the suicide mission, you will get to keep the crew intact

Sai

steadfast said:
if you get legion and then do anything else other than his loyalty mission, you will lose kelly. If you do all the other sidequests and then get legion, do his loyalty, then do the suicide mission, you will get to keep the crew intact
Well, yeah, I know that. I was asking if the Collector's attack on the Normandy can be further delayed if you avoid handling any of your other squadmates loyalty missions until that point.

Based on what I've read so far, it doesn't seem like it(that, or maybe most everybody chooses to take care of the loyalty missions before acquiring the Reaper IFF). But that would make more sense to me from a design standpoint, because assuming that Legion's loyalty mission is triggered based on how much progress you've made with your other characters' loyalty missions, having the attack on the Normandy delayed until you've handled everybody's problems allows you to trigger all the dialouge options for Legion before it throws it's loyalty mission in your face. Having it's loyalty mission pop up right after activating it, before you're able to question it further about the Geth, just seems rushed and backwards.

mujun

Cep said:
No problem, usually I charge for for the service, but you get the ME2 discount.

So what exactly made the plot stupid.

I assume you aren't holding it up to the standard of books or movies.

voltron

I cannot fucking believe this shit.

I'm replaying on insanity which apart from a couple of encounters I'm finding to be a fun challenge. However one of those cunt-ass motherfuvking encounters happens to be th end of Horizon. All my heavy ammo is gone dealing with those fucks that constantly throw out shockwaves. Not to mention th fracken husks.

So th final encounter with th drone with biotic barrier I've tried at least 20 times. I finally beat it then out of desperation do a manual save. The piece of shit freezes on the loading screen to end th mission, but lucky for me I saved it

wrong, bitch!! Wrong!!!!!!!!

Now after loading th save the gut scene won't trigger. Are fucking kidding me????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I really fucking hate videogames with a passion.

Wiggum2007

theMrCravens said:
I was a bit disappointed though that they didn't bring up the Illusive Man and Cerberus more toward the last 1/3 of the game.

I was expecting something big or some sort of major betrayal at the end, but the Illusive man just came out like a whiny bitch asking for the reaper tech.

Yeah it seemed like the story was building towards some
backstabbing/reveal-of-ulterior-motives by the Illusive Man
, I was disappointed when that didn't happen, it really would've made him an even more memorable character. Oh well, I'm sure we'll see something of the sort in ME3.

Also when I hear all the frustration in here about people getting mauled by the Praetorians, I feel like I cheated. I happened to have the Cain with me in each Praetorian encounter and killed them in one shot. :lol It really works well as a "One Free Boss Kill" weapon.

mujun

Wiggum2007 said:
Yeah it seemed like the story was building towards some
backstabbing/reveal-of-ulterior-motives by the Illusive Man
, I was disappointed when that didn't happen, it really would've made him an even more memorable character. Oh well, I'm sure we'll see something of the sort in ME3.

Also when I hear all the frustration in here about people getting mauled by the Praetorians, I feel like I cheated. I happened to have the Cain with me in each Praetorian encounter and killed them in one shot. :lol It really works well as a "One Free Boss Kill" weapon.

Yeah, the Cain is very handy when playing on insanity. Wish I'd thought to use it on the part just after picking up the IFF. That gave me fits trying to get through with Jack and Samara. Changing out Samara and taking Grunt solved the problem though.

voltron said:
I cannot fucking believe this shit.

I'm replaying on insanity which apart from a couple of encounters I'm finding to be a fun challenge. However one of those cunt-ass motherfuvking encounters happens to be th end of Horizon. All my heavy ammo is gone dealing with those fucks that constantly throw out shockwaves. Not to mention th fracken husks.

So th final encounter with th drone with biotic barrier I've tried at least 20 times. I finally beat it then out of desperation do a manual save. The piece of shit freezes on the loading screen to end th mission, but lucky for me I saved it

wrong, bitch!! Wrong!!!!!!!!

Now after loading th save the gut scene won't trigger. Are fucking kidding me????????!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I really fucking hate videogames with a passion.

I'm sorry, but :lol

Horizon is a bitch on insanity but try dying to the last Scion on the
Collector Base Ship
after defeating everything else :lol.

"You know you feel this"

:lol

Subitai

Gattsu25 said:
Was listening to the Giant Bomb podcast today and Vinny mirrors every single one of my complaints with Insanity mode as an Infiltrator :|
Which number? I'm finding my 2nd run on insanity w/ an infiltrator to be much easier than i thought. I have had problems, but they haven't been different or worse than the ones i had using a soldier on hardcore my 1st time through.

Dark FaZe said:
Collector Base Ship

"You know you feel this"

Had I known the last few enemies in the final room dropped heavy weapon ammo, I would've used my nuke before.

mujun

Dark FaZe said:
Collector Base Ship

"You know you feel this"

I didn't have any trouble (real trouble anyway) with Horizon, go figure.

First hexagon encounter and just after the IFF are where I really had to do over and over and over again.

brandonh83 said:

The general concensus is that you can't focus on one without the other lacking somehow. In a perfect world we would have got awesome character development and a strong overall story plot.

Maybe bioware can do both in ME3 now that they see what's what. ME1 had great main story focus. ME2 had great character development. Mash those up and you have game of the century.

The only thing that I'm finding that sucks about Insanity is that I'm really nervous about my Paragon/Renegade status. I did Jacks loyalty mission and ended up
losing loyalty because I wasn't able to use a neutral option
. I've had to be an extreme pussy through the entirety of the rest of the game just to make sure everyone survives.

Dan Yo

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
The only thing that I'm finding that sucks about Insanity is that I'm really nervous about my Paragon/Renegade status. I did Jacks loyalty mission and ended up
losing loyalty because I wasn't able to use a neutral option
. I've had to be an extreme pussy through the entirety of the rest of the game just to make sure everyone survives.
That's why I think they should do away with the whole paragon/renegade meter/point system. Just have the choices be your own without prodding someone along the paragon or renegade path. I definitely have made some choices I didn't care for all for the sake of getting those points. I agree with the genophage, but apprently the game decided that's a bad guy response, even though the genophage is technically a morally ambiguous topic.

Ah well, there's always hope that the next Bioware game won't tell me whats right and whats wrong and just let me decide that for myself. Some have told me that Alpha Protocol might do it first.

Dark FaZe said:
Collector Base Ship

"You know you feel this"

I swear to god Harbinger reminded me of Darth Vader at the end of SW: ESB

Mindlog

DeaconKnowledge said:
I played through the game on hardcore first.

To be honest, i'm finding it even EASIER on Insanity.

The whole game got real easy after learning to exploit the system.

I'll occasionally die with some sloppy play or get tripped up with the enemies spawn rushing you. however, even Praetorian go down easy once you learn how to rope them around the landscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom