• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

sweetwasabi said:
This is what I get, Sai
Ah...

Yeah, that's definitely a glitch. >_>

Schopenhauer said:
Bioware has stated that there are a bunch of different factors that effect certain charm/intimidate conversation choices.
Like?... Where'd they point this out?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Looking forward to jumping back into this tonight, had to rebuild my rig and couldn't resist the temptations of Heavy Rain.

I think I had just one more loyalty quest that I wanted to finish before focusing on the main story.

Samara

Schopenhauer said:
Bioware has stated that there are a bunch of different factors that effect certain charm/intimidate conversation choices.

Told about Vaneia, drugs :lol and the Elcor. And did try every way possible. Saved the reporter, Gave out drinks, danced. Even followed what some guy did on youtube. No luck, it's just bugged. There is no way Miranda would not budge after all my P points. It's ridiculous.

Ah...

Definitely is. I suppose it's due to replaying with the same character

Sai said:
Ah...

Like?... Where'd they point this out?
This thread. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/107/index/1197668

The Kim Stolz posts.

sweetwasabi said:
That is probably the reason, but it is not a bug.
Basically the way the paragon/renegade system works, the boost in points from importing helps you make most of the checks far more easily than starting out from a blank slate in a ng+.

dankir

Arjen said:
FUCK horizon on Insanity, FUCK IT with a wrench
Was pretty "easy" until now, but those goddamn scions and husks are killing me

Here's what to do.

As soon as the scions arrive fire off the Cain heavy weapon. The scions should be almost dead after 1 shot. Clean up the remaining enemies. Activate the computer

Power should be at 20%
bunker up on the left side, up the stairs behind the barrier.
You'll encounter 2 husks, 1 Habinger and a few collector drones. K

Power should be at 40% I think
Run back to the entrance and take cover up by the boxes / tires / truck. If you are behind the tires those shots 2 power attacks the harbinger shoot will never reach you and the explosion from the impact won't throw you out of characters. Just take your time abuse biotics and kill the rest of the collectors

Power is at 60% here.
Run to the very end of the "area" i.e. complete opposite from the entrance. A few husks will appear from the stairs that you initially bunkered up in. Kill them and some more collectors and harbingers will appear.

One thing I noticed is that if you stay on the complete other side of the area the harbingers / collectors will never fire. They will always stay right by the trucks / tires by the entrance You can't even highlight your target so your teammates can fire.

BUT you can get your teammates to fire off biotics yourself included. And the enemies will just walk back and forth basically over and over never firing off a shot. you might have to get in closer to clean up the remaining bad guys

Power should be 80% here
Now the Pretorian flies in. Just get near one of those trucks and just start circling around it slowly. Using the truck for cover. He'll never attack your teammates so just fire off Warp / Incinerate / Overload biotics every chance you get. Just keep going around the truck and stay out of harm's way. You'll be fine.

I just spent an hour and a half yesterday trying to do this on insanity lol. I memorized everything by the end.

Arde5643

thorin said:
*Shakes fist*

You guys are making me want to replay this again!

I'm also gonna repeat Alucrid's question: Which drone do you guys recommend?
Depends on your engineer's build - if you're a CC engineer who likes using ai hacking and dominate powers a lot, use attack drone since your drone's life will be greatly extended with those hacking powers.
You'll also want to max overload/incinerate since most of your damage will come from this.

If you're an assault engineer who likes close combat, use exploding drone for the most damage.
For assault engineers, cyro blast and incinerate will be most important since you spend a lot of time in close combat.
For bonus powers, ammo powers (tungsten most likely) are best suited for this engineer.

To sum up:
Attack drone if you're a crowd control engineer who uses dominate
Explosive drone if you're an assault engineer who uses ammo powers

Other than that, you can also experiment with hybrid builds between CC and assault.

Mindlog

sweetwasabi said:
Told about Vaneia, drugs :lol and the Elcor. And did try every way possible. Saved the reporter, Gave out drinks, danced. Even followed what some guy did on youtube. No luck, it's just bugged. There is no way Miranda would not budge after all my P points. It's ridiculous.

That looks very similar to a game I just recently played. My bar was almost at exactly the same place. To me it looks like you are just barely short of passing that check.
I had to search the entire map trying to squeeze out a few more paragon points. I believe™ the mercenary's loyalty mission + some odd N7 missions gave me just enough to pass.

Samara

Alright, will try that Mindlog. Never did N7 missions anyway. And I really wanted
Morinth
on my team. Miranda can get lost. Jack is not a mistake!

edit: Dankir's tip looks ace! Will try on my Insane run.

macfoshizzle said:
so any word on when kasumi is coming out?

Or anything for that matter. Such a waste for a game such as this to go stagnant over a course of time. :( They should keep the hype going. Someone call Bethesda!

I beat it! 57-hours of playtime. I did every quest and scanned every planet to depletion status. I didn't
lose anyone on the suicide mission

I'm going to use console commands in my future plays to skip all of the scanning stuff.

Here's what I liked about the game:

• Combat fucking rocks. Limited ammo deal worked out great. Biotics are great. Weapons are great. Classes feel like whole units and not like hybridizations of other classes. Keep it up.
  • The galaxy map is WAY better. Navigating it is a pleasure - and the addition of fuel and probes makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see how much they can improve the map in Mass Effect 3. (I still think that the very first time they showed off the map in this video is the best one. It would be great to get a hybridization of Mass Effect 2's map system and the one in that video, or something that surpasses both. We'll see though.)
  • Dialogue system, camera angles, visual scene switching whilst in dialogue mode is great. Love the addition of interruption. Really great stuff.
  • Game is fucking gorgeous. Although, it CAN look better. Just look at Gears of War 2. That's still the best looking UE3 game.
  • Environments are a HUGE improvement from the first game. Environment space wasn't wasted or carelessly reused this time around. Everything seemed logical and functional. I really liked how some devices would wink into activity as you increased your proximity to them. Also, not only can you READ the signs now, their placement actually makes sense! Great work!
  • Cumbersome planetary exploration was removed. Mako was removed. Both were replaced by quests and locations with actual SUBSTANCE. I prefer it this way. Keep it.
  • Music is fantastic.
  • Fantastic character development. Really liked the loyalty missions and character dialogue.
  • The Normandy SR-2 is just... wow!

Here's what I didn't like about the game:

• While the mini-games are convincing enough to immerse you in the universe, they get tiresome. Scanning wasn't a huge deal for me, but I can understand why people didn't like it. I would like for it to stay in Mass Effect 3, but BioWare should work on making it a less tedious task. The same goes for the bypassing mini-game. Not a big deal, but it does get tedious at times. The only one I really liked was the hacking mini-game. I had no problems with that at all. Much better than that omni-gel bullshit.
  • I wanted to see
    Tali's face
  • Practically
    no involvement
    with the Citadel Council or the Systems Alliance. Although, this makes sense since you're running a covert operation with Cerberus.
  • Would have liked another vocal track for the credits.
  • Didn't get to explore an improved
    Presidium
  • There wasn't a great deal of interaction between party members. I would have liked to see some involvement in loyalty missions since the third party member is pretty much invisible. I'm not expecting something like Dragon Age: Origins. But some chatter between members during missions would have been nice.

Things I'd like to see in the next game:

• I'd like to see more of the Geth and how they operate. They're very mysterious.
  • I'd like to see a resolution to the Quarian and Geth conflict.
  • I'd love to explore an underwater city of Kahje. The way Thane described how the Hanar move around underwater seemed amazing. I imagine it would look something like the Gungan city from Star Wars: Episode I.
  • I'd like to learn more about the Reapers and their intentions. I do not, however, want stupid cop-out explanations like Metal Gear Solid 4's nanomachines bullshit.
  • Some more opposite genders of alien races. I'm pretty sure there were some female Salarians when I dealt with the Eclipse mercenaries, but what about female Turians, Krogans, etc.?

I beat it! 57-hours of playtime. I did every quest and scanned every planet to depletion status. I didn't
lose anyone on the suicide mission

I'm going to use console commands in my future plays to skip all of the scanning stuff.

Here's what I liked about the game:

• Combat fucking rocks. Limited ammo deal worked out great. Biotics are great. Weapons are great. Classes feel like whole units and not like hybridizations of other classes. Keep it up.
  • The galaxy map is WAY better. Navigating it is a pleasure - and the addition of fuel and probes makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see how much they can improve the map in Mass Effect 3. (I still think that the very first time they showed off the map in this video is the best one. It would be great to get a hybridization of Mass Effect 2's map system and the one in that video, or something that surpasses both. We'll see though.)
  • Dialogue system, camera angles, visual scene switching whilst in dialogue mode is great. Love the addition of interruption. Really great stuff.
  • Game is fucking gorgeous. Although, it CAN look better. Just look at Gears of War 2. That's still the best looking UE3 game.
  • Environments are a HUGE improvement from the first game. Environment space wasn't wasted or carelessly reused this time around. Everything seemed logical and functional. I really liked how some devices would wink into activity as you increased your proximity to them. Also, not only can you READ the signs now, their placement actually makes sense! Great work!
  • Cumbersome planetary exploration was removed. Mako was removed. Both were replaced by quests and locations with actual SUBSTANCE. I prefer it this way. Keep it.
  • Music is fantastic.
  • Fantastic character development. Really liked the loyalty missions and character dialogue.
  • The Normandy SR-2 is just... wow!

Here's what I didn't like about the game:

• While the mini-games are convincing enough to immerse you in the universe, they get tiresome. Scanning wasn't a huge deal for me, but I can understand why people didn't like it. I would like for it to stay in Mass Effect 3, but BioWare should work on making it a less tedious task. The same goes for the bypassing mini-game. Not a big deal, but it does get tedious at times. The only one I really liked was the hacking mini-game. I had no problems with that at all. Much better than that omni-gel bullshit.
  • I wanted to see
    Tali's face
  • Practically
    no involvement
    with the Citadel Council or the Systems Alliance. Although, this makes sense since you're running a covert operation with Cerberus.
  • Would have liked another vocal track for the credits.
  • Didn't get to explore an improved
    Presidium
  • There wasn't a great deal of interaction between party members. I would have liked to see some involvement in loyalty missions since the third party member is pretty much invisible. I'm not expecting something like Dragon Age: Origins. But some chatter between members during missions would have been nice.

Things I'd like to see in the next game:

• I'd like to see more of the Geth and how they operate. They're very mysterious.
  • I'd like to see a resolution to the Quarian and Geth conflict.
  • I'd love to explore an underwater city of Kahje. The way Thane described how the Hanar move around underwater seemed amazing. I imagine it would look something like the Gungan city from Star Wars: Episode I.
  • I'd like to learn more about the Reapers and their intentions. I do not, however, want stupid cop-out explanations like Metal Gear Solid 4's nanomachines bullshit.
  • Some more opposite genders of alien races. I'm pretty sure there were some female Salarians when I dealt with the Eclipse mercenaries, but what about female Turians, Krogans, etc.?

You know, you are good man. Those are my thoughts exactly.
We even finished the game with the same time :lol

Hammerhead, the Mako replacement, has been announced for March. Comes with 5 mini-missions. And it's FREE to all Cerberus Network members. Damn gonna hold off my second playthrough for that.

Rubezh

I really need some advice from somebody who has finished the game. I'm very close to the end.

I just finished playing the Joker sequence after the Normandy was abducted by the Collectors. I was given the option of going straight through the relay or spending more time to prepare and I chose to prepare as I wasn't ready yet (I spent most of my resources on the med bay upgrade rather than the ship upgrades :lol). I really want to save my crew and Kelly Chambers but I read on the wiki that I can only do Legion's loyalty quest and I can't land in any ports or planets without them dying. Can I still scan a load of planets to upgrade my ship and still get there on time before she's liquefied? Or should I go straight into the relay without all the upgrades and risk losing some squad members on the way there?

thorin

CF_Fighter said:
Hammerhead, the Mako replacement, has been announced for March. Comes with 5 mini-missions. And it's FREE to all Cerberus Network members. Damn gonna hold off my second playthrough for that.
Wow, I wasn't expecting it to be free. Guess I'll save my next replay for that.

CF_Fighter said:

By the time that this comes out, I think I will have played each class to the end.

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
Mindlog said:
1st: There are two trucks parked next to each other (between your start location and the walkway with the medkit/husk spawn.) Don't actually go into cover, but use the truck cabs. Keep circling

2nd: Kill all the other enemies until they stop spawning. Keep maximum distance with the beast. Make your way to the area near the locked door that offers cover you can circle around. Keep circling.

Ah, I thought that they would be recurring enemies, and barely defeated the first two. Guess I'm in the clear then :D thanks everyone.

thorin said:
Wow, I wasn't expecting it to be free. Guess I'll save my next replay for that.

IIRC it has been always been free for people with the Cerberus Network (all the people who have the game legally and first hand).

So Kasumi when? I want to leave my super completionist for ME3 walkthrough when we have all (or the most important) DLC.

Owzers

SpacePirate Ridley said:
IIRC it has been always been free for people with the Cerberus Network (all the people who have the game legally and first hand).

So Kasumi when? I want to leave my super completionist for ME3 walkthrough when we have all (or the most important) DLC.

I played ME with a female paragon and then started a new male character for ME 2. I think when ME 3 starts to creep up i might start all over with a new male character in ME and carry that over for a new ME 2 playthrough with all the dlc.

Arjen said:
FUCK horizon on Insanity, FUCK IT with a wrench
Was pretty "easy" until now, but those goddamn scions and husks are killing me
If you're really having trouble, you can cheese the scions (at least as an adept) by warping them over and over with no triggering of the event from the doorway.

The Firewalker Pack sounds pretty cool. Can't beat free. I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish my second play through. I have a bunch of achievements left to get, and I want to finish my second play through to be happy with the ending and decisions I made to carry over in Mass Effect 3 but I'm not motivated to play it right now for some reason. No patience right now I guess.

soldat7

[*]The galaxy map is WAY better. Navigating it is a pleasure - and the addition of fuel and probes makes a lot of sense. I'd like to see how much they can improve the map in Mass Effect 3.

I hated the flying. It felt like a stupid XBLA game, only worse. I hated the huge flags cluttering up the map. I can't say I liked the galaxy map at all.

Dan Yo said:

I hope these are substantial. I'm worried that they'll be quite linear and not leave much in the way of exploration.

Mindlog

soldat7 said:
I hated the flying. It felt like a stupid XBLA game, only worse. I hated the huge flags cluttering up the map. I can't say I liked the galaxy map at all.

I hope these are substantial. I'm worried that they'll be quite linear and not leave much in the way of exploration.

I'd have preferred to see an orbital pathing route. Select a planet and then watch the little ship arc towards it.

That's also how I'd fix the scanning game. Instead of moving the planet the RS would set the size of the scanner. A large scan sweep would gives you a general idea of what's available. Then you narrow the scan to increase your haul. No more than 4 deposits per planet. There's even an option to make the Normandy itself increase/decrease altitude while scanning. This would better differentiate the carbonaceous asteroid from gas giants. There's also room to give more character to tidally locked planets etc etc

sweetwasabi said:
Alright, will try that Mindlog. Never did N7 missions anyway. And I really wanted
Morinth
on my team. Miranda can get lost. Jack is not a mistake!

edit: Dankir's tip looks ace! Will try on my Insane run.

I wish I could be more specific on which missions grant paragon points. It's only a few of them.

Fake ID was one of the ones that helped me.

Rubezh said:
I really need some advice from somebody who has finished the game. I'm very close to the end.

I'm going to say that you can continue scanning however long you want. I believe™ only missions will tick the timer forward. You should be able to scan and complete that loyalty mission with no problem. I'm pretty sure I have done this and more before.

Keep an extra save handy just in case!

Sober

I'm trying to do a full-ish Renegade run on Insanity - I'm on Haestrom now (this planet pisses me off cause my PC likes to crash alot here for some reason) but I'm curious -- if you don't tell Kal'reegar to back off/do a Paragon interrupt, is it possible to have him survive while killing the Colossus? I've tried maybe 2 times now, full rush as fast as I could to the colossus to kill it, but each time he seems to die as I bring its shields down ... is his timer insanely short or is that scripted to always happen?

DuckRacer

screenshot-101-p.jpg

screenshot-100-p.jpg

screenshot-099-p.jpg

screenshot-098-p.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
An interesting thing is happening in my game and it's bugging the crap outta me.

I have the game set so that my squad mates do not have any control over using their powers and still anyone that has a squad ammo power continues to use it and overrides my own selection for squad ammo. I have the Warp Ammo (love it) and I will be in a fight and then all of a sudden I have Shredder Ammo on my gun.

Anyone else experience this or know of a fix? Kinda odd bug.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm finally a lot more free now, and I come in and see the Hammerhead, which looks fucking niiiiiice - best part is that it's like a flying Mako, they still retained the style which is perfect!

Revelations said:
Looks awesome! All of this for free?

I pray the paid content is much more substantial!

Yup, for free, and I hope somehow that they have plenty of missions (especially ME1-type exploration) for the Hammerhead, whether free or paid...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Gattsu25 said:
http://masseffect.bioware.com/resources/assets/media/screenshots/screenshot-102-p.jpg

edit: :O

I have been defeated
That looks like your navigating through a toilet bowl :/

Skilotonn said:
Yup, for free, and I hope somehow that they have plenty of missions (especially ME1-type exploration) for the Hammerhead, whether free or paid...

Damn, this just means we will be waiting even longer for more story expansion stuff like kasumi and any other significantly game altering stuff.

Anyone have an idea on how many copies the game have sold so far/ last we heard it was at 2 million worlwide and that was beginning of Feb. March is a few days away.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I bet exploration will be minimal with the Hammerhead.

Gomu Gomu

DAMN IT Miranda. I risk myself and a my team to rescue your god damn sister, and do everything that pleases you, and you fucking say "let's keep personal feelings out of the mission". F YOU. All I ever wanted is to tap dat ass. She better fall for me before this game ends or else I'll make sure her sister disappear for realz.

Arde5643

Anyone tried adepts with shotguns and heavy throw yet?

It is TRULY glorious, especially if you partner up with squadmates who are good at defense stripping.

Mook with shields/barrier? overload/warp then heavy throw them to crash at the other mooks at the back/ smack to the wall/ to the stratosphere/ to the doomy ledges.

Advance consistently and when close enough, change to shotgun since at this point most of the enemies will be unprotected.
Then it's just pure throw-fest all around, flinging enemies willy-nilly, to the sky, to the wall, to their falling deaths, or sometimes to the floor meeting your shotgun point blank.

Ahh.. the joys of heavy throws and shotgun...

For lieutenants? Just singularity them and shotgun em to death - best done with incendiary ammo if you have Jacob or Grunt.

yesssss... just got a brand new 360 back from the repair shop (well.. probably not from the repairshop..) and started with ME2..

wow.. i'm hooked from the very first few minutes. I really like the feeling that i allready know some of the characters (including Shepard) and that i allready know how the game controls, etc. Importing my old character is great.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds

Arjen

Thanks for al the tips guys, got through horizon on the first try,
Guess i'll better prepare myself mentally for
collector ship
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom