• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Patryn said:
The difference is that Overload and Incinerate do damage. Cryo, the time is just what it takes to freeze the enemy.

I'll take the damage over time instead of the time to fully incapacitate.
If Cryo somehow still maintained the shield bypass that it had in ME1, then I'd still love it. But as it is now, Cryo rounds and Cryo Blast (even maxed) aren't worth having when compared to other abilities.

Sai

So, started another career to take advantage of the squad points and morality-related glitches. Started storming through the the first conversation with Mordin on the Normandy with the X Button. After asking him about the Genophage towards the end of it, the camera somehow gets stuck in this particular scene--even when I finish talking to him, and start moving Shepard around, it stays there.

SDC10066.JPG

Looked so creepy, had to take a picture. :lol

mujun

Man why do all the protection powers suck. Does tech armor suck too? I want the invulnerability power the soldiers had in ME1 back, I loved using that shit and bumrushing.

Sai

mujun said:
I want the invulnerability power the soldiers had in ME1 back, I loved using that shit and bumrushing.
Immunity was just too good.

Which protection powers have you used though? Barrier? Fortification? That Geth Shield one?

mujun

Sai said:
Immunity was just too good.

Which protection powers have you used though? Barrier? Fortification? That Geth Shield one?

All of the above and they all suck compared to what else I could get in their place. Sure Immunity was good but I want something similar so that I can play bumrush with shotguns and the like otherwise I never use them.

They could easily tune up immunity surely. Take away shields when you come out of it or give it a really short usage time.

Charge doesn't really help me bumrush groups so much as individual enemies and the 3 types of shields I've tried don't really seem much use at all.

Arde5643

mujun said:
All of the above and they all suck compared to what else I could get in their place. Sure Immunity was good but I want something similar so that I can play bumrush with shotguns and the like otherwise I never use them.

They could easily tune up immunity surely. Take away shields when you come out of it or give it a really short usage time.

Charge doesn't really help me bumrush groups so much as individual enemies and the 3 types of shields I've tried don't really seem much use at all.
You could just play on casual if you want something akin to immunity.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mujun said:

What you're asking for is invincibility. And that's what Immunity essentially was. It let you walk straight into tons of enemies with no fear of dying.

The closest thing to that here is Biotic Charge, which you can use against multiple enemies with reckless abandon on the lower difficulties (less than 4 second recharge with all upgrades, I believe), and with some caution on the harder difficulties. Bumrushing is still in the game, it's just that bumrushing takes some skill and tactics now.

Otherwise, the only way you're going to be an invincible walking tank is if you decide to play on Casual. I agree with the sentiment here that Immunity should stay gone.

DY_nasty

Charge is the new immunity, but you gotta have balls to use it.
Yeah. I know you don't get to see it - which, like, fucking sucks.

Anyway -- Reave is the business. What a great power.
Reave makes Vanguards holy.

Dresden

I don't like Reave. It's way too damn powerful. Knocks out armor and barriers, drains health and incapacitates organic enemies, and you can spec for an AoE version. Add to that, it's instant and there's no chance of it missing.

DY_nasty

Dresden said:
I don't like Reave. It's way too damn powerful. Knocks out armor and barriers, drains health and incapacitates organic enemies, and you can spec for an AoE version. Add to that, it's instant and there's no chance of it missing.
Its nice considering that its the only biotic ability other than Warp that can strip defenses.

Dresden

DY_nasty said:
Its nice considering that its the only biotic ability other than Warp that can strip defenses.
I would've been fine with it if it just dealt damage. As it stands now, for every character it just comes down to ArP ammo or Reave for their bonus talents. Unless you like Dominate, like me.

jabipun

Reave eh?

That geth shield ability seemed pretty useful, i'll have to decide between the two.

Anyway;

QUESTION.

is it possible to FUCK UP a loyalty quest as to where you don't get the loyalty perks?

You can spoil whatever you want.

I already beeat the game and I'm on my insanity play - thru.

example :
if i warn the guy garrus wants to kill via sniper shot - do i not get the loyalty then?

Sai

MrTroubleMaker said:
explain please
There's a point during the Lazarus Research Station where Jacob reveals to you that they all work for Cerberus, you can get up to 4 Paragon/Renegade points from this conversation. Save immediately after, load that save up, and you'll be able to repeat that exchange.

I used it to build up my Renegade bar a lil' bit, 'cause there are some chumps you meet earlier on in the game that need to be donged upon, even if you like being mostly a boyscout. :p

mujun

Dresden said:

You can miss. If you don't have good line of site you'll hit cover with it reasonably often.

Sai said:
There's a point during the Lazarus Research Station where Jacob reveals to you that they all work for Cerberus, you can get up to 4 Paragon/Renegade points from this conversation. Save immediately after, load that save up, and you'll be able to repeat that exchange.

I used it to build up my Renegade bar a lil' bit, 'cause there are some chumps you meet earlier on in the game that need to be donged upon, even if you like being mostly a boyscout. :p
:lol cool, thanks!

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
I would've been fine with it if it just dealt damage. As it stands now, for every character it just comes down to ArP ammo or Reave for their bonus talents. Unless you like Dominate, like me.

Yep, there is no question about it.

Kenaras

mujun said:
You can miss. If you don't have good line of site you'll hit cover with it reasonably often.

The big problem is when your enemies are on higher ground with cover. I couldn't figure out any way to make Reave hit in that situation. Most powers can be lobbed like a mortar, ignoring all cover; Reave can't.

Salsa

Marathon session today and now im 12 hours in. Really enjoying it like i knew i would. Have to admint that i was more hooked with ME1`s story, i guess its mainly because we knew the face of the threat from the beggining. Im not going to rush it like i did with 1 and im really taking my time to do almost everything there is to do in this game, not planing on doing a second playthrough (feels more like my journey, whatever the consecuences are to my actions, i like to take them as i would, no previous save files included) and i have a feeling im gonna miss it once is over :D.

Dresden

Kenaras said:
The big problem is when your enemies are on higher ground with cover. I couldn't figure out any way to make Reave hit in that situation. Most powers can be lobbed like a mortar, ignoring all cover; Reave can't.
I've played around with biotics and tech powers a lot, and if they're hiding behind cover on higher ground, no amount of lobbing will get it over the cover and onto the enemy. The only way is to arc it from the side, which at times is impossible. There's a point where lock-on breaks when you try to arc it too high, and at its limit, whatever power you toss will just bounce off the top part of cover.

Whereas Reave will hit instantly if you can just wait for them to peek out of cover. You can wait for them to peek out with Warp or Incinerate as well, but they take time to hit the enemy and at times they'll duck again before the power hits them. Reave is better.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
jabipun said:
Reave eh?

That geth shield ability seemed pretty useful, i'll have to decide between the two.

Anyway;

QUESTION.

is it possible to FUCK UP a loyalty quest as to where you don't get the loyalty perks?

You can spoil whatever you want.

I already beeat the game and I'm on my insanity play - thru.

example :
if i warn the guy garrus wants to kill via sniper shot - do i not get the loyalty then?

Geth shield--for me--is not just 'pretty' useful... it's very useful. Of course, it depends on your class and difficulty, I guess. I'm a Soldier in Insanity.

And yes, it's possible to screw up some of the loyalty quests, though some of them are also impossible to fail. IIRC, the ones that you can possibly fail are Samara, Thane, and Tali.

You can choose to warn the target (Paragon move). You can convince him later on that it's for greater good.

Dresden

The nice thing about Geth Shield is that it looks so damn awesome. Barrier just covers you in blue goo. Fortification lights you up like a Christmas tree. But Geth Shield covers you in this awesome electrofuzz shielding.

Kenaras

Dresden said:
I've played around with biotics and tech powers a lot, and if they're hiding behind cover on higher ground, no amount of lobbing will get it over the cover and onto the enemy. The only way is to arc it from the side, which at times is impossible. There's a point where lock-on breaks when you try to arc it too high, and at its limit, whatever power you toss will just bounce off the top part of cover.

Whereas Reave will hit instantly if you can just wait for them to peek out of cover. You can wait for them to peek out with Warp or Incinerate as well, but they take time to hit the enemy and at times they'll duck again before the power hits them. Reave is better.

I'm talking about when they're shooting over cover while on higher ground. Every Reave would just splat against the cover in front of them, even through plenty of their body was visible. Happened no matter how I tried to aim it. Finally gave up and started lobbing Incinerates; those hit just fine.

Edit: Also, you can lob over cover and hit enemies hiding behind it, even when they're above you. It just depends on the distance; they have to be far away for it to work. When they're far away, you can aim way over their heads without breaking lock-on.

Dries

Played for 42 hours now and have collected all of my crew. Now I need to get the
IFF and recruit Legion
How long do I still have to go? And oh yeah. This is one of the best games I've ever played.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dries said:
Played for 42 hours now and have collected all of my crew. Now I need to get the
IFF and recruit Legion
How long do I still have to go? And oh yeah. This is one of the best games I've ever played.

~2 hours, mabybe a little more. Probably closer to 3.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Kenaras said:
I'm talking about when they're shooting over cover while on higher ground. Every Reave would just splat against the cover in front of them, even through plenty of their body was visible. Happened no matter how I tried to aim it. Finally gave up and started lobbing Incinerates; those hit just fine.

Edit: Also, you can lob over cover and hit enemies hiding behind it, even when they're above you. It just depends on the distance; they have to be far away for it to work. When they're far away, you can aim way over their heads without breaking lock-on.

Reave will hit instantly, even if they're behind cover. To guarantee it, you have to wait for them to pop cover and be targetable. In the skill menu, if you hover the cursor over them and select Reave, you should see for little arrows point into the enemy. As long as you see those arrows flash, you'll always connect, no matter where they move.

kuYuri

Question... I'm wearing the Umbra Visor as my head gear, but when in the Migrant Fleet, you automatically get the breather helmet... am I getting the breather helmet's bonus or is the Umbra Visor still considered equipped?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Strider2K99 said:
Question... I'm wearing the Umbra Visor as my head gear, but when in the Migrant Fleet, you automatically get the breather helmet... am I getting the breather helmet's bonus or is the Umbra Visor still considered equipped?

Pretty sure the Umbra visor bonus is the one you're getting. The breather is just required for that segment within the story.

rhino4evr

Dries said:
IFF and recruit Legion
I'm at 39 hours and just finished the last loyalty quest and a cool little side mission I won't spoil. All that's left is the suicide mission. Not sure if there are any planet missions left. I've done like 10 total
anyone know how many n7 missions there are? A few of them opened up othe missions that I have completed.

rhino4evr said:
I'm at 39 hours and just finished the last loyalty quest and a cool little side mission I won't spoil. All that's left is the suicide mission. Not sure if there are any planet missions left. I've done like 10 total
anyone know how many n7 missions there are? A few of them opened up othe missions that I have completed.

19 I believe.

rhino4evr

Lifejumper said:
19 I believe.

Cool, I think I will do all the side quests first. Still need the Incenerate Achievement..hopefully I can find a few side quests that I can use it on. I just got the Overload Achievement thanks to the last part members loyatly quest.

Just got to my favorite part in all of ME2. My second play through...
Where you find the Volrus who is high and thinks he's a biotic god
:lol

Fitz

ToyMachine228 said:

Yes! That was really great.
Telling him to "Charge..." in a really un-energetic way was funny.

Colkate said:
Yes! That was really great.
Telling him to "Charge..." in a really un-energetic way was funny.

Haha. I did that the first time and watched him get thrown...Was hilarious but I felt bad at the same time.

Dries

ToyMachine228 said:

That part was so great :lol

Dries

clashfan said:
How long was your first play though? Mine took almost 40 hours playing on normal and I did all the loyalty quest

Clocking in on 45 hours now. Now going to get the
IFF device
. Guess I'm squeezing everything out of this one. But goddamn. Any game that stills has it's hooks in me after 45 hours is something reaaally special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom