• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jiub said:
Just finished the game. Another Bioware masterpiece imo.

I'm probably biased tho, I loved Kotor Jade Empire adn ME1 to death. Haven't really tried dragon age yet. Is it worth playing on 360? Seems very PC to me.

If you have a PC that can run it without issue, then go with PC. If you don't it still runs fine and plays similar to KOTOR on 360. Great game either way.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
An interesting thing is happening in my game and it's bugging the crap outta me.

I have the game set so that my squad mates do not have any control over using their powers and still anyone that has a squad ammo power continues to use it and overrides my own selection for squad ammo. I have the Warp Ammo (love it) and I will be in a fight and then all of a sudden I have Shredder Ammo on my gun.

Anyone else experience this or know of a fix? Kinda odd bug.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Truelize said:
An interesting thing is happening in my game and it's bugging the crap outta me.

I have the game set so that my squad mates do not have any control over using their powers and still anyone that has a squad ammo power continues to use it and overrides my own selection for squad ammo. I have the Warp Ammo (love it) and I will be in a fight and then all of a sudden I have Shredder Ammo on my gun.

Is this on 360 or PC?

Docpan

25 hours in and I feel like I've got a good 4 or 5 hours left of gameplay before the end.

It's been reeling me towards the finish line, but I've taken my time with all of the loyalty missions and worthless side-bullshit missions. Tryin to drag this out till ffxiii-- probably won't happen.

Sober

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that Praetorian on the Collector ship took me about 50 attempts to figure out after I realized there was no respawn closet on the enemies. Still, on insanity, when it slams the ground to put up the barrier, it one-shots even Sentinels though Power Armour behind cover. About 20 times. Also I kinda hate how at about 5% health (coming down after about 10%) it puts another barrier up to piss me off.

And that knockback-from-cover missile that
Harbinger-possessed
Collectors have... jeeeeeez

DY_nasty

Revelations said:
Gotta be PC. You can't alter the game on 360.
You can toggle the squad power usage on 360.

I was thinking that it may be a preset thing if it were on PC though.

ili0926

Relix said:
Just got this. Didn't get it earlier because I was pretty damn busy, but finally found some time and...

Wow the game is fucking fantastic. Already played 3 hours of it but I am liking it even more than Mass Effect. Nice, nice. I can't seem to score good answers with Miranda, always screw them up :lol

Also...
I don't want to lose any members =P. These loyalty missions I read... when do they appear? Is there a guide out there?

Also, love the upgraded graphics and performance =D

Just a tip:
make sure to recruit all of the members before you complete all available loyalty missions. There is a point where if you've exhausted all available loyalty missions before you've recruited the final (available) member, the final member's loyalty mission will not activate.
. Can someone back me up on this one?

So, after 5 play throughs, 2 on hardcore, 2 on insanity, one on normal with various paragon/renegade engineer/adept male/femshep mixes, I'm doing a speedrun of only necessary quests, no side quests, no upgrade buying, casual difficulty as a soldier, flying through the game. I can't wait to see
my team die, and hopefully my shepherd
as well. Just finished horizon after an hour and 15 min of gameplay so far.

thorin

Truelize said:

Same thing happened to me. Any squardmate with an ammo skill will decide to use it for whatever reason. I think it's just an AI design oversight.

My solution: kick the bastard off my squad.

Edit: this is on 360

Uncle

ili0926 said:
Just a tip:
make sure to recruit all of the members before you complete all available loyalty missions. There is a point where if you've exhausted all available loyalty missions before you've recruited the final (available) member, the final member's loyalty mission will not activate.

Didn't happen to me.

DY_nasty

ili0926 said:
Just a tip:
No. Its possible to get to the end of the game without two party members ever joining the squad.
thorin said:
Same thing happened to me. Any squardmate with an ammo skill will decide to use it for whatever reason. I think it's just an AI design oversight.

My solution: kick the bastard off my squad.

Edit: this is on 360
Tell your squad mate to active his ammo power first, then activate your own. His ability should make all of your squads ammo switch. When you active your own after his, it should stick.

Did they ever explain how all the races can all of a sudden speak English...in 40 years. Even on the backwater planets they all speak grammatically correct English.

_Xenon_

Banned
Jiub said:
Just finished the game. Another Bioware masterpiece imo.

I'm probably biased tho, I loved Kotor Jade Empire adn ME1 to death. Haven't really tried dragon age yet. Is it worth playing on 360? Seems very PC to me.

Anyway, the last couple hours of ME2 were amazing.
I bought the 360 version and I regret it :( This is why PC version beats 360's hands down:

1. Better battle control --- this is important, it's impossible to deal with large scale battle in 360 which means 40% of all the battles are pretty much clustfuck on 360.

2. Better graphics and loading

3. One save slot takes 17 MB for the game so if you plan to create multiple characters with multiple saves then the hard drive of 360 simply can't handle it (I got 800M size of saves but my 360 only has a 20G hdd)

DY_nasty

TacticalFox88 said:
Did they ever explain how all the races can all of a sudden speak English...in 40 years. Even on the backwater planets they all speak grammatically correct English.
Universal translators, they showed them to us. I think it was in the codex for ME1.

Dragon Age for 360 is TRASH btw.

thorin

TacticalFox88 said:

Universal translator I think. I'd rather they all appear to speak English than going the KOTOR route and have all the aliens repeat the same 3 lines of gibberish.

Helmholtz

Question:
I just finished the game. If I choose to continue and finish up leftover stuff, are there any new quests that open up as a result? If so, where?
Also, If I want to import my current shepard in a New Game +, do I just choose New Game in the main menu?
Thanks.

thorin said:
Universal translator I think. I'd rather they all appear to speak English than going the KOTOR route and have all the aliens repeat the same 3 lines of gibberish.

Yeah you all wear auto translators. Mentioned a few times in ME1.

In ME2 the game salesman mentions them as well (mentions how annoying it is when Batarians turn their translators off while on voice chat during online gaming).

witness

Whelp finished my 2nd playthrough tonight. 25 hours this time, did a couple of sidequests and an hour or two of mining. Went with a vanguard his time, soldier first time, imported
me1 shep both times. I consider the vanguard playthrough my definitive one though. Everyone survived and I remained faithful to Ashley. First run a couple people died and I had a relationship with Miranda. Will import both guys to me3 to see what happens.

Not sure if I'll do a third playthrough as a female renegade sheperd or not, that big trade in bonus at gamestop is inticing.

DY_nasty said:
No. Its possible to get to the end of the game without two party members ever joining the squad.

This is interesting. I wonder what it would mean for them for ME3 and if/how they would appear in that game. There are so many what ifs in this game its amazing and a large part of what makes it so exciting.

My main character has been mostly Renegade through ME1 and ME2. I want to replay 2 though and
actually try to get everyone killed including Shepard just to see how that plays out
for ME3. I just don't want to replay the game renegade and I'd imagine you have to for that to happen? I
lost two members - Mordin and Morinth this time through, plus my whole Normandy crew

DY_nasty

Revelations said:
Would it be in the ME2 codex as well? Under which category?
I haven't so much as glanced at ME2's codex yet.

Still, its a video game, etc.

You want to see some real plot holes, step over to the ME2 Story Discussion thread. ME's timeline is jacked.

thorin

BolognaSoup said:
My main character has been mostly Renegade through ME1 and ME2. I want to replay 2 though and
actually try to get everyone killed including Shepard just to see how that plays out
for ME3.
I think Bioware said
you won't be able to import a campaign where Shepard dies.

Zen

Banned
BolognaSoup said:
This is interesting. I wonder what it would mean for them for ME3 and if/how they would appear in that game. There are so many what ifs in this game its amazing and a large part of what makes it so exciting.

I honestly don't know, the ramifications from ME1 to ME2 were largely window dressing and hurried over cameos just to have them there, although one would assume that the larger implications from ME1/2 will have some effects, but they'll probably find some Metroid like contrivance to minimize the nitty gritty ramifications of things like your squad choices.

thorin said:
I think Bioware said
you won't be able to import a campaign where Shepard dies.

Then I don't know how that would make sense. Think about it...
if Shepard dies at the end of ME2, and you can NOT import that game into ME3, how does ME3 know everyone died? It would have to at least look at your save file to know if it has to prompt you to create whoever the new "Shepard" would be. It basically HAS to import your "Shepard died" campaign.

BolognaSoup said:
Then I don't know how that would make sense. Think about it...
if Shepard dies at the end of ME2, and you can NOT import that game into ME3, how does ME3 know everyone died? It would have to at least look at your save file to know if it has to prompt you to create whoever the new "Shepard" would be. It basically HAS to import your "Shepard died" campaign.

It will import it, but you won't be able to use that save file to play ME 3. The game will start with predetermined set of choices from ME2, same what happened ME1 --> ME2.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
DY_nasty said:
Tell your squad mate to active his ammo power first, then activate your own. His ability should make all of your squads ammo switch. When you active your own after his, it should stick.

Yeah I have started doing that and it seems to be working. I also stopped using Thane. It was his shredder ammo that was continually overriding my own ammo choice.

I have seen many people talk about singularity as a power in this game. But, unless I'm blind I have not once seen this listed as a power for one of the characters.
Are people just using the names from ME1? Or am I epic fail?

Edit: How do you get Mordin to sing? That Youtube vid is hilarious.

DY_nasty said:
I haven't so much as glanced at ME2's codex yet.

Still, its a video game, etc.

You want to see some real plot holes, step over to the ME2 Story Discussion thread. ME's timeline is jacked.

Will Bioware ever address such a issue?

aparisi2274

I posted this in the other ME2 thread, but I will post here as well...

Have a question to anyone who finished the game....

Is there actually a way to keep everyone alive? I was doing the final mission, and I beat the final boss, and I thought I was going to make it back to the Normandy with my entire crew. That all changed when I saw the collectors steping over the dead body of Jack. I was so pissed, because I thought I had done everything correctly to keep them all alive.

Anyone have any ideas on what needs to be done? I did her loyalty mission, but maybe I pissed her off in a scene or something... Not sure...

Oh well, Still an amazing game.

Oh!! One last question.
Were all those geth ships at the end, the heretics that have come back to the fold and are going to help me now? Or are they there to have a war with me?

aparisi2274 said:
I posted this in the other ME2 thread, but I will post here as well...

Have a question to anyone who finished the game....

Is there actually a way to keep everyone alive? I was doing the final mission, and I beat the final boss, and I thought I was going to make it back to the Normandy with my entire crew. That all changed when I saw the collectors steping over the dead body of Jack. I was so pissed, because I thought I had done everything correctly to keep them all alive.

Anyone have any ideas on what needs to be done? I did her loyalty mission, but maybe I pissed her off in a scene or something... Not sure...
You probably pissed her off in a scene.

Oh well, Still an amazing game.

Oh!! One last question.
Were all those geth ships at the end, the heretics that have come back to the fold and are going to help me now? Or are they there to have a war with me?
Did you play Mass Effect 1? That is a
fleet of Reapers heading for the Milky Way

aparisi2274

You probably pissed her off in a scene.

Did you play Mass Effect 1? That is a
fleet of Reapers heading for the Milky Way

That's what I figured!!

And yes, I did play ME1, but it was over 2 years ago, and I don't really remember most of the ships...

Zel3

Revelations said:
Don't do any loyalty missions.

Don't you have to do a certain amount of missions before the main missions activate?

I remember the Illusive man not calling me till I did 2 loyalty missions.

DY_nasty

Truelize said:
Yeah I have started doing that and it seems to be working. I also stopped using Thane. It was his shredder ammo that was continually overriding my own ammo choice.

I have seen many people talk about singularity as a power in this game. But, unless I'm blind I have not once seen this listed as a power for one of the characters.
Are people just using the names from ME1? Or am I epic fail?

Edit: How do you get Mordin to sing? That Youtube vid is hilarious.
Singularity is only for AdeptShep.

Its pretty good, but its not the end-all that its cracked up to be. Its pretty much identical to the singularity of ME1 too btw. The Singularity -> Warp combo in ME2... the shit is official.

Tieno

Got the game a few days ago. Definitely love the much improved combat, best combat in an RPG. Actually feels like a hybrid RPG 3rd person shooter. Sad they haven't improved on the weapon and armor (cosmetic) variety.

I imported my character from last time, which was a vanguard. Love the pull/throw + heavy charge combo. So much fun. Charge is very satisfying, it's high risk - high reward.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Beat it earlier. Absolutely amazing throughout. The streamlining worried me, as did knowing it wasn't as sweeping a tale as 1 and more about the journey, and it delivered on all fronts. A few minor complaints but overall it was a blast and all I wanna do is play more.

This game is just so good. Started another playthrough as a femShep Renegade. I don't think I will ever get tired of this game.

Also, if anyone could be so kind as to go to www.masseffect2faces.com and rate my Shepard:

wig04.jpg

I spent way too much time making that collage look decent, and then immediately upon submitting it, my friend accidentally rates it 1 stars. >:O Thanks a lot, friend!

Anyway, I'm playing my second run-through as an infiltrator on insanity, having a bit of trouble in the early game but nothing too difficult (mainly running out of sniper ammo often). So far while I am enjoying the change, I think I liked my vanguard more. Fully upgraded charge + Champion was way too much fun.

MinionBE

I imported my ME1 Shepard, and have just completed ME2 as paragon. If I start a NG+ now, and go totally renegade, will i be to choose which one to import to ME3?

MinionBE said:
I imported my ME1 Shepard, and have just completed ME2 as paragon. If I start a NG+ now, and go totally renegade, will i be to choose which one to import to ME3?

I'm pretty sure a NG+ starts a totally separate career with totally separate saves, so I'm 90% sure that yes you will be able to choose.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MisterAnderson said:
This game is just so good. Started another playthrough as a femShep Renegade. I don't think I will ever get tired of this game.

Also, if anyone could be so kind as to go to www.masseffect2faces.com and rate my Shepard:

http://i48.tinypic.com/10xawjn.jpg

Good job! Femsheps have a nasty habit of all looking the same, so I like it when they look a bit 'odd'. EG: Yours looks like she has a chin a bit larger than a standard pretty girl, and mine has a pretty tough jaw. The oddities make them look more unique, and thus better :p.

EatChildren said:
Good job! Femsheps have a nasty habit of all looking the same, so I like it when they look a bit 'odd'. EG: Yours looks like she has a chin a bit larger than a standard pretty girl, and mine has a pretty tough jaw. The oddities make them look more unique, and thus better :p.

Yeah I agree, oddities are what gives them character for sure. Thanks for your input! Is there a "show your Shepard" thread? Because I thought that there was one but can't find it (hence why I posted the pictures here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom