• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Playing with an adept is frickin hard on insanity. The whole singularity to stun thing is pretty much useless on mercs. The handcannon is glorious (as in, the only thing that works) but other than that... geez.

Throw is vastly underrated too.

Piper Az

Just finished it. What a run! I'm loving the fact that all the choices you make towards the end is going to have significant impact on the story arc. This is a great RPG element for sure.

One question:
How do you prevent your team member from dying in the last mission?

Piper Az said:
Just finished it. What a run! I'm loving the fact that all the choices you make towards the end is going to have significant impact on the story arc. This is a great RPG element for sure.

One question:
How do you prevent your team member from dying in the last mission?

You need to do all their loyalty missions and send the right person to lead/go on each mission. And send Mordin back to the ship with the Normandy crew or keep him with you for the final mission or there's some odd random chance that he'll die even if he is loyal.

Subitai

DY_nasty said:
Playing with an adept is frickin hard on insanity. The whole singularity to stun thing is pretty much useless on mercs. The handcannon is glorious (as in, the only thing that works) but other than that... geez.

So, do you have a plan yet for the final bosses?

Subitai

Gomu Gomu said:
DAMN IT Miranda. I risk myself and a my team to rescue your god damn sister, and do everything that pleases you, and you fucking say "let's keep personal feelings out of the mission". F YOU. All I ever wanted is to tap dat ass. She better fall for me before this game ends or else I'll make sure her sister disappear for realz.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I think you can only hook up with some characters when you're going through the omega-4 relay at the end.

Arde5643

DY_nasty said:

Normal mercs/collector drones with barriers aren't really an issue - one heavy throw plus a burst of MSG finishes off the barrier, which you can immediately follow up with pull or another throw.

For shielded mooks - just bring either Miranda/Garrus/loyal Tali with you or just use energy drain or singularity yourself.

Use pull + throw if you want to try to insta-kill the enemy.
Or just use throw if you have lots of enemies shooting at you currently since at the very least heavy throw will do quite a bit of damage and knock down the opponent for 5-6 seconds allowing you to engage with the other mooks.

Incinerate is a tech attack isn't it? Pull + warp is the only one that ever worked for me.
Finished Insanity run this morning. Final mission is a piece of piss compared to Horizon or the Collector ship.
Legion FTW.

Dr Zhivago said:
Incinerate is a tech attack isn't it? Pull + warp is the only one that ever worked for me.
Finished Insanity run this morning. Final mission is a piece of piss compared to Horizon or the Collector ship.
Legion FTW.
Yeah, final level was surprisingly easy ( full adept on insanity here), took one try, whereas I died repeatedly on horizon and the collector ship.

Zaeed's loyalty mission is impossible on Hardcore - prove me wrong. The last bit with the YMIR mech and flammable tanks has COD4-level infinitely respawning enemies. Not to mention the cover sucks, your teammates are worthless, and basically Satan is having a serious case of diarrhea and is shitting all over the map. I NEED VIDEO EVIDENCE IT CAN BE DONE.

Sai

Dr Zhivago said:
Legion FTW.
Yeah. I assumed it's becase I always fully upgraded everything before taking it on though.

ChoklitReign said:
Zaeed's loyalty mission is impossible on Hardcore - prove me wrong. The last bit with the YMIR mech and flammable tanks has COD4-level infinitely respawning enemies. Not to mention the cover sucks, your teammates are worthless, and basically Satan is having a serious case of diarrhea and is shitting all over the map. I NEED VIDEO EVIDENCE IT CAN BE DONE.
Uhm, the enemies don't respawn indefinitely. By the time the mech starts up, I usually have the Blue Suns mercenaries cleared out.

And I always play on Insanity. :I

What class are you using?

ChoklitReign said:

No, the enemies there don't spawn infinitely. Besides, that mech will not come close i.e. will not flank you. Piss easy mission.

Arde5643

ChoklitReign said:
Are you sure you have the right squadmates there?

My adept playthrough is mostly: overload/energy drain on mooks, pull then throw them to their doom.

On lieutenants, singularity to stun them and then strip their defenses with powers and weapons, and after that just pull->throw him to instakill.

If there are too many mooks, just singularity the lieutenant and leave him stunned for 9-10 seconds while you deal with the mooks.

Really, the most annoying thing is the mobile flammable tanks hitting you while in cover - that's why I usually stay mobile behind cover instead of always staying in the same spot.

This is one stage where the shotguns cannot be really of use for the adept though. :(

Arjen

ChoklitReign said:

I've beaten it on insanity last night.
Just stay all the way back, keep your squad in cover, shoot down the tanks as soon as you can. You should be able to clean the whole room before the mech arrives.

DY_nasty

I retract my earlier statements on Energy Drain sucking. Its Overload 2.0 with a hint of Reave.

Still early on my adept/insanity run. I'm trying to get the squad in a different order this time to make things feel as different as possible
Jack and Grunt before going to Omega, stuff like that
. Mechs are a bitch, but thats nothing surprising I guess. I'm really going to have a tough time picking my next weapon specialty though.
Subitai said:
So, do you have a plan yet for the final bosses?
Hopefully my tears will make the ground slick and give me an opening to run away.

I'm an Infiltrator with Miranda and Zaeed. I definitely saw the mech flank me, every enemy does. I'm sure there were a good 3 mercs left when the mech showed up.

My Shepard doesn't need arms and Legs anymore.
14c798x.jpg

33z458o.jpg

2d9xwsw.jpg

DY_nasty

Castor Krieg said:
If you mean the weapon specialty you get on
Collector's Ship
I don't think you can pick it a 2nd time.
Naw, I'm good. This isn't a new game+. Its another imported character. The loyalty abilities that you unlock carry over like the skills/weapons did in ME1's new characters.
Arde5643 said:
Nope, you need to do new game+ to do so.
OR

If you've already beaten the game once, you get to take advantage of the 25% exp boost. Its really easy to get with the extra 25%.

Arde5643

DY_nasty said:
Naw, I'm good. This isn't a new game+. Its another imported character. The loyalty abilities that you unlock carry over like the skills/weapons did in ME1's new characters.

OR

If you've already beaten the game once, you get to take advantage of the 25% exp boost. Its really easy to get with the extra 25%.
He's talking about maxxing every skill/power for him and squadmates.

DY_nasty

Arde5643 said:
Is it even possible to max your squadmates?

The only way to max all of your own skills is by using the X+A cheat.

Sai

Arde5643 said:
Which would still involve leveling up and getting as many squad points as you can.

Unless you take advantage of that squad point rank 4 glitch.

derFeef

Okay, rage... If I get stuck one more time I threw this game away. Sersiously, sometimes the whole game is like the fight against Benezia. Stuck, bend, unable to move. Jesus!

Struct09

WuselDusel said:
Okay, rage... If I get stuck one more time I threw this game away. Sersiously, sometimes the whole game is like the fight against Benezia. Stuck, bend, unable to move. Jesus!

Where are you getting stuck? Granted I've only played the game on normal, but I never even came close to getting stuck like I did with Benezia in the first game.

derFeef

Struct09 said:
Where are you getting stuck? Granted I've only played the game on normal, but I never even came close to getting stuck like I did with Benezia in the first game.

Mostly I am getting "flipped" up in the air after I detatch from cover, rendering me unable to go to the ground or move around. I am walking in the air then, inplace.

I tried to save the game and load, but I always have to restart from the last saved point or autosave. Frustrating and pretty much breaking the immersion every time. PC btw.

Samara

WuselDusel said:
Mostly I am getting "flipped" up in the air after I detatch from cover, rendering me unable to go to the ground or move around. I am walking in the air then, inplace.

I tried to save the game and load, but I always have to restart from the last saved point or autosave. Frustrating and pretty much breaking the immersion every time. PC btw.

This happened to me a lot too. On the 360

That or the cover just slides me on the other side. And if you get stuck in the air, your crew follows you , making a bee line. If I save, I will still be in the air. Ugh. And it always happens on Illium.

Gomu Gomu said:
DAMN IT Miranda. I risk myself and a my team to rescue your god damn sister, and do everything that pleases you, and you fucking say "let's keep personal feelings out of the mission". F YOU. All I ever wanted is to tap dat ass. She better fall for me before this game ends or else I'll make sure her sister disappear for realz.

Gomu Gomu said:

This made me laugh hard. :lol
Also Ive always loved your avatar.

Buttonbasher said:
Side effect to some armor mods (which are pretty awesome by the way).

My casual wear on the ship is the glowing body of Avina. :lol
You guys need to put a tutorial or put the link to somewhere that explais how to do it, because I want to play doing awesome things on my pc, but I tried looking the other day and only find little things.

Red

ChoklitReign said:
That's like... the easiest combat-based loyalty quest.

Helmholtz

Just finished it. Loved it.
I wasn't even aware that
people could die during the final mission. Guess I just got lucky combined with doing all the loyalty missions, because I had no casualties.
Can't wait for the third game!

Subitai

WuselDusel said:
So, what class are you, and who are you rolling with?

derFeef

Subitai said:
So, what class are you, and who are you rolling with?
Happened as soldier and vanguard. I do not think that depends on the class or my crew. It has something to do with the cover system.

Dresden

ChoklitReign said:
Dude, you were whining about the
Joker
section of the game.

Just shoot the tanks to stop the respawn, then retreat into the eastern room to face the mech. It can't follow you in there.

ChoklitReign said:

Maybe video games aren't for you?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just got this. Didn't get it earlier because I was pretty damn busy, but finally found some time and...

Wow the game is fucking fantastic. Already played 3 hours of it but I am liking it even more than Mass Effect. Nice, nice. I can't seem to score good answers with Miranda, always screw them up :lol

Also...
I don't want to lose any members =P. These loyalty missions I read... when do they appear? Is there a guide out there?

Also, love the upgraded graphics and performance =D

thorin

Relix said:
Also...
I don't want to lose any members =P. These loyalty missions I read... when do they appear? Is there a guide out there?
The game will let you know. Kelly will say "So-and-so wants to speak with you."

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Relix said:
Also...

It's pretty straightforward, you'll see.

DuckRacer

Crunched said:
That's like... the easiest combat-based loyalty quest.
Eh, I'd say it's actually the hardest, on insanity I died there at least three times. Granted it was because of one pyro that snuck up and flanked me each time, but still. I breezed through all the other loyalty missions in comparison.

It's obviously not impossible though, especially on hardcore. Just position your teammates behind cover, shoot the flaming tanks when prompted and – I dunno – don't suck. It's straightforward, but if you're careless and don't keep track of where your enemies are at you'll die.

Subitai

Relix said:
Also...
Yeah, when you've told them you'll help them out, the nav map will get marked with "Help so-and-so" too. When those are all cleared out you only have to worry about assigning them to the right things in the suicide mission. Check the story thread if you're paranoide about messing it up the 1st time. Otherwise don't and enjoy the jump off the cliff like the rest of us :D !

Jiub

Neo Member
Just finished the game. Another Bioware masterpiece imo.

I'm probably biased tho, I loved Kotor Jade Empire adn ME1 to death. Haven't really tried dragon age yet. Is it worth playing on 360? Seems very PC to me.

Anyway, the last couple hours of ME2 were amazing.

Subitai

Jiub said:
Just finished the game. Another Bioware masterpiece imo.

I'm probably biased tho, I loved Kotor Jade Empire adn ME1 to death. Haven't really tried dragon age yet. Is it worth playing on 360? Seems very PC to me.

Anyway, the last couple hours of ME2 were amazing.
Unless you really want the spiffy armor for ME2 and standard fanboy control/graphics arguments aside, Dragon Age is one of the few xbox/pc games that really should be played on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom