• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

pringles

Anyone else not really feeling any urge for DLC? I think Bioware made it way too easy to reach max level in this game.. in ME1 you had to play through the game like 3 times to reach 60, in this it took 1 playthrough + a few missions on NG+. Now that I'm lvl 30, it feels like there is no more incentive to keep playing.
And just the entire leveling up system was very unsatisfying. No xp for killed enemies, almost exlusively leveling up after completed missions, only 1-2 skill points per level, only 30 levels (hopefully they'll raise that cap eventually) etc.

Actually not sure I'm going to pay for the Kasumi DLC.. maybe if it gets glowing reviews.

thorin said:
Did you miss the bathroom too?
Took me way too long to find that :lol

VaLiancY

Zen said:
What new member?

Kasumi Goto.

1268496953684.png

1268497130977.jpg

Zen

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
First paid DLC content. Kasumi. Human Thief.

The more I think about the it, the more I think I'll actually buy pretty much all the good paid DLC that comes out. Why? because Mass Effect 2 was so damn claustrophobic, homogeneous, simplified, and closed in compared to the original, I'm literally sitting here hoping that they announce some sort of large scale expansion pack to give the game some meat because the 'universe' feels like anything but.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So i have like 160+K materials except for element zero and platinum, but they're pretty high too. Im up to the IFF mission, did most sidequests and there's not much upgrades left for me so, should i stop scanning planets? Cause thats fucking boring, i dont mind exploring for the 100% but scaning for materials.. snorefests

Rubezh

pringles said:
Anyone else not really feeling any urge for DLC? I think Bioware made it way too easy to reach max level in this game.. in ME1 you had to play through the game like 3 times to reach 60, in this it took 1 playthrough + a few missions on NG+. Now that I'm lvl 30, it feels like there is no more incentive to keep playing.
And just the entire leveling up system was very unsatisfying. No xp for killed enemies, almost exlusively leveling up after completed missions, only 1-2 skill points per level, only 30 levels (hopefully they'll raise that cap eventually) etc.

Actually not sure I'm going to pay for the Kasumi DLC.. maybe if it gets glowing reviews.

I remember reading or watching something about that, it might have been Casey or Ray & Greg. They kept the max level low so that would encourage players to make new characters with different classes instead of sticking with one. I completely agree with your point.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
pringles said:

I completely agree with how easy it is to max out a level, especially with the import, but I think BioWare have been pretty generous with the DLC. We've got quite a bit of decent free stuff, and assuming this is 1.5 hours long and reasonably price it will be great.

I think a lot of this DLC is probably more beneficial for people playing through the game again, or starting it for the first time. A bit of bummer there, but thats because the reward system sucks.

Much like ME1 I will do a full clean playthrough prior to ME3, so by then I'll have tons of DLC to play in my single round and love it even more.

Subitai

Buggy Loop said:
So i have like 160+K materials except for element zero and platinum, but they're pretty high too. Im up to the IFF mission, did most sidequests and there's not much upgrades left for me so, should i stop scanning planets? Cause thats fucking boring, i dont mind exploring for the 100% but scaning for materials.. snorefests
Um,
if you wanna start rolling with Legion after the IFF run, then there are some good upgrades for him. Otherwise you're probably done with the need to scan for minerals.

Rubezh

The addition of DLC in the form of more characters like Zaeed and Kasumi might mean that some characters wouldn't have anything to do in the suicide mission as the number of squadmates might outweigh the number of choices.

Also, is it possible to keep Grunt sealed in the tank for the whole game and then sell Legion to Cerberus for the money and still finish the game? Does anything different happen?

VaLiancY

It's weird, As time consuming the mining minigame was I found it oddly...addictive. I got into this mindframe that if the planet wasn't stripped bared of raw materials, I wasn't happy. Hell, I didn't even care what type of material or the amount I got. :lol

Peff

Always good to hear confirmation, especially for the Debbie Downers who claimed they wouldn't stray away from ME2's success :D

VaLiancY said:
It's weird, As time consuming the mining minigame was I found it oddly...addictive. I got into this mindframe that if the planet wasn't stripped bared of raw materials, I wasn't happy. Hell, I didn't even care what type of material or the amount I got. :lol

I actually liked it the first time, but it's really grating on replays when you want the upgrades as fast as possible :(

Lakitu

st5fu
I was fine with the streamlined approach, to me Mass Effect is not a straight RPG, nor a straight shooter. It's an action adventure with an emphasis on immersion and a fantastic sci-fi narrative. If they melded aspects of both the first game and second, and improve the music, it could be awesome. But, ME 1 and ME 2 remain my favourite games this generation.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Mutanthands said:
http://prezi.com/6xe1ucvy8egf/where-did-my-inventory-go/

That's the whole thing.

Key points:
Heat Sinks - No Negative Comments in Reviews! Guess we'll still have the magic ammo scattered everywhere. :|

Inventory - What could be simpler than no inventory! ...really, BioWare? Stories and proper shooting mechanics are really hard too. Please don't cut things just because they're hard. You'll have to wait until MEXIII before fans will accept that nonsense. Bring back some form of inventory. Hundreds of RPGs have done it successfully. Study them like you studied GoW for the shooting mechanics. You can do it.

Encourage evangelists - Sounds like code word for give stuff to the fans who also fondle the balls. It's a standard marketing practice, but still one I don't like, personally.

Listen to fans - Well, we'll see, won't we?

Richer RPG Elements - They seem to harp on this one. GOOD. Remember, it's an RPG/Shooter not a Shooter/RPG.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
pringles said:

The balance to that is that there are so many different possible outcomes now with ME2, classes play so differently now, and you can just create a totally new character for each as well so it's incredibly replayable actually, if you want to experience every single outcome with every single class.

When I have the time, I still plan to make a playthrough doing whatever I want - not just a good guy/bad guy, but really just choosing whatever decision I feel like going with.

JBuccCP

I hope more RPG means more than just more skills in combat. I want more missions that don't end up with me killing a bunch of stuff. I was so excited on Tali's mission because I thought I was about to play
Commander Shepherd: Space Attorney, use my paragon/renegade skillz to win that trial then go home. Then the Geth shit happened:/.

JBuccCP said:
I hope more RPG means more than just more skills in combat. I want more missions that don't end up with me killing a bunch of stuff. I was so excited on Tali's mission because I thought I was about to play
Commander Shepherd: Space Attorney, use my paragon/renegade skillz to win that trial then go home. Then the Geth shit happened:/.

Thane's and Samara's quests were pretty good in that regard.

Mindlog

WanderingWind said:
Inventory - What could be simpler than no inventory! ...really, BioWare? Stories and proper shooting mechanics are really hard too. Please don't cut things just because they're hard. You'll have to wait until MEXIII before fans will accept that nonsense. Bring back some form of inventory. Hundreds of RPGs have done it successfully. Study them like you studied GoW for the shooting mechanics. You can do it.

Please, no magic backpacks.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Mindlog said:
Please, no magic backpacks.

Oh, the discussion of what is silly in any given video game doesn't have to end there. I mean, perfect example. Why on a colony, cut off from contact for 10 years, are there heat sinks that only came into use 2 years ago? And why does every species now use them? Was there an intergalactic Geneva convention saying the same heat sinks had to be used everywhere?

Why does collecting minerals allow for a biologist to create weapons and spaceship-sized armor plating?

Etc., etc.

Mindlog

WanderingWind said:
Oh, the discussion of what is silly in any given video game doesn't have to end there. I mean, perfect example. Why on a colony, cut off from contact for 10 years, are there heat sinks that only came into use 2 years ago? And why does every species now use them? Was there an intergalactic Geneva convention saying the same heat sinks had to be used everywhere?

Why does collecting minerals allow for a biologist to create weapons and spaceship-sized armor plating?

Etc., etc.

Way to miss the truly obvious.

Why did some bother upgrading 200+ year old Quarian wall safes to galactic standard?

methane47

So i just started playing the game a coupld days ago... and it is PRETTY AWESOME..
I'm just loving the hell out of this game.. .

but my god the Loading screens are painfull... I am a night owl generally ... I work for 8am but go to bed usually 2am...

But wednesday and thursday night.. i fell asleep with the game on like at 11:30... ON A LOADING SCREEEN

It is absolutely horrendous how much I have to wait...
Besides that.. game is awesome (Just got the two folks from Omega) :D game is great..

Dennis

Banned
Two things:

Kasumi looks fantastic - I like the character design almost as much as Thanes.

The news from Joystiq about Mass Effect 3 is encouraging, but really....the game is a long ways off. We'll see.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Just a quick question as I've finally gotten the game. In the first ME, money seemed to start off slow, but by the end I was swimming in Scrooge McDuck money-bin style piles of credits. Is that going to be the case here? I find I'm nervous about my money supply since there's no loot to sell and I have to spend money on things like fuel and probes. I went through an entire shipload of 30 probes on just one planet, and I haven't even traveled out of the Omega system yet.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good that they understand people hated the mining game, but they've got the groundwork for a great enconomy.

I adore the changes they made to the inventory/combat/resource system for ME2, but its the execution and variety that kills it. Double or even tripple the amount of weapons available (except for heavy), keep the research idea, and add in the attachment system I proposed earlier and you've got the inventory/equipment side of things perfected.

Throw in exploration of some sort and we're sailing.

DarthWoo said:
Just a quick question as I've finally gotten the game. In the first ME, money seemed to start off slow, but by the end I was swimming in Scrooge McDuck money-bin style piles of credits. Is that going to be the case here? I find I'm nervous about my money supply since there's no loot to sell and I have to spend money on things like fuel and probes. I went through an entire shipload of 30 probes on just one planet, and I haven't even traveled out of the Omega system yet.

The economy is different in ME2. Dont worry about it. You cant buy everything in the game, but if you stick to mining the rich planets and making sure you've got enough for minerals for all your upgrades and you'll be fine.

Dan Yo

Banned
DarthWoo said:
Currently, at least until they get more missions in the game, it is impossible to have enough money for all the upgrades by the end of the game without grinding heavily on the Tuchanka pit fight gambling.

moojito

I had really high hopes for this game, but I'm finding it very similar to the first one. Something about aliens, you go to a planet, run through some nice looking outdoor area, enter a building, getting jumped by groups of enemies every now and then. Duck behind cover, pop out and shoot. Swear at your team mates for always running ahead and dying. Move on to next area. Find person/object at the end of the building. Cut scene. Run about the normandy. Pick new planet to go to. Repeat!

I'll no doubt carry on with it, as it's not terrible, but I hear you can play this for 50 hours! I'm only 3 hours or so in and it already seems like the core mechanics have outstayed their welcome. That Australian woman has an awesome accent, though.

I'm a bit late to the Mass Effect 2 party, but its good to see its still going on. I have a few questions before I get too far in the game. I am about an hour and a half in just in case you are wondering. On with the questions.

1. Which difficulty level do you recommend? Normally I always play the "normal" or the default setting in other games the first time I go through a game. I would much rather the game be too easy as opposed to too hard, but I also dont want it to be just silly easy. I started out on VETERAN, but am not far enough into the game to gauge if this is the proper setting for me.

2. Do you recommend controlling all your squads powers or just let the A.I. do it?

I know these settings are going to vary from person to person, but I'd really appreciate hearing thoughts and suggestions from all sides. Thank you

Dan Yo

Banned
EatChildren said:
Good that they understand people hated the mining game, but they've got the groundwork for a great enconomy.

I adore the changes they made to the inventory/combat/resource system for ME2, but its the execution and variety that kills it. Double or even tripple the amount of weapons available (except for heavy), keep the research idea, and add in the attachment system I proposed earlier and you've got the inventory/equipment side of things perfected.

Throw in exploration of some sort and we're sailing.
If your attachment system involved weapon upgrades that can be changed in or out and be physically seen on the weapon like Army of Two, then I agree fully. That would be awesome.

They could also do with WAY more armor customization. A couple shoulder pads and a couple gauntlets are nice but really lacking and not really helping to make my character feel all that unique.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Finally finished the game.

I totally chickened out during that last mission. I started it and I managed to pick the wrong team leader (I thought Zaeed, veteran as he is, would be able to do a good job) which lead to Legion dying after hacking the doors. So I googled it and played through the level with the "correct" characters. I probably would have lost one or two more characters had I not done that, and I don't know when I'm gonna play through this game again (if ever). This is a recurring annoyance I have with games such as this; it can be a bit difficult to determine what the consequences of your choices may be or what Shepard will say when the line the game shows only hints at a type of answer. And the instances where you can choose to do a renegade or paragon move in a cut scene can be very ambigious as well. You never really know what he's gonna do.

Anyway, great game and it's mind blowing how much detail and work has gone into the background -- story, details, info, planets, aliens etc. I thought pretty much every fight against the husks were awfully bad though.

EatChildren

Dan Yo said:
If your attachment system involved weapon upgrades that can be changed in or out and be physically seen on the weapon like Army of Two, then I agree fully. That would be awesome.

Pretty much. My idea was a way to solve the varity issue and the reward/loot problem, while keeping the same combat mechanics without having everything resort to dice rolls and what-not.

Saya

I'm doing my second run of the game. This time on Insanity difficulty and I thought I was doing pretty good overall.. But now I am stuck at the
final fight in the Horizon mission (the one were you have to activate the towers)... I can't even seem to defeat the first two Scions. I don't even want to think of the Preatorian fight after it... I'm a level 30 soldier. I've tried the mission with Grunt and Garrus, but they are getting their asses kicked by the rushing Husks at the start of the battle.

Anyone have tips on how to get through this fight?

itsinmyveins said:
Finally finished the game.

I totally chickened out during that last mission. I started it and I managed to pick the wrong team leader (I thought Zaeed, veteran as he is, would be able to do a good job) which lead to Legion dying after hacking the doors. So I googled it and played through the level with the "correct" characters. I probably would have lost one or two more characters had I not done that, and I don't know when I'm gonna play through this game again (if ever). This is a recurring annoyance I have with games such as this; it can be a bit difficult to determine what the consequences of your choices may be or what Shepard will say when the line the game shows only hints at a type of answer. And the instances where you can choose to do a renegade or paragon move in a cut scene can be very ambigious as well. You never really know what he's gonna do.

Anyway, great game and it's mind blowing how much detail and work has gone into the background -- story, details, info, planets, aliens etc. I thought pretty much every fight against the husks were awfully bad though.

Do you know approximately how long it took to finish?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Mizzou Gaming said:
Do you know approximately how long it took to finish?

For me it took around 35 hours, but I went almost everywhere and I think I finished a large part of the sidequests. If you ignore exploring and doing sidequests I'm sure you could finish the game in less than 20 hours.

Mizzou Gaming said:
I'm a bit late to the Mass Effect 2 party, but its good to see its still going on. I have a few questions before I get too far in the game. I am about an hour and a half in just in case you are wondering. On with the questions.

1. Which difficulty level do you recommend? Normally I always play the "normal" or the default setting in other games the first time I go through a game. I would much rather the game be too easy as opposed to too hard, but I also dont want it to be just silly easy. I started out on VETERAN, but am not far enough into the game to gauge if this is the proper setting for me.

2. Do you recommend controlling all your squads powers or just let the A.I. do it?

I know these settings are going to vary from person to person, but I'd really appreciate hearing thoughts and suggestions from all sides. Thank you

Just wanted to post the above again because it got lost in the midst of that reply flurry.

Dan Yo

Banned
Mizzou Gaming said:
Just wanted to post the above again because it got lost in the midst of that reply flurry.
I started on insanity and never directed the AI. Didn't have any problems.

One thing about insanity (and something I think they handled wrong), is that playing certain biotic classes will be less satisfying as some powers are completely ineffective until you first take down every bit of armor on the enemy. Also, enemies can have a bit of bullet sponge syndrome which in my opinion can make some kills, and headshots in particular, less satisfying. Kind of wish the health bar would remain the same for enemies across all difficulties.

It was still pretty fun either way, though. Based on my experience with insanity, the lower difficulties would likely have been too easy for me personally.

Subitai

Saya said:
I'm doing my second run of the game. This time on Insanity difficulty and I thought I was doing pretty good overall.. But now I am stuck at the
final fight in the Horizon mission (the one were you have to activate the towers)... I can't even seem to defeat the first two Scions. I don't even want to think of the Preatorian fight after it... I'm a level 30 soldier. I've tried the mission with Grunt and Garrus, but they are getting their asses kicked by the rushing Husks at the start of the battle.

Hope this helps.
Even though a few husks spawn there, have Grunt and Garrus in cover on the left on the platform. After the 1st wave when your done talking with EDI again, move them to the right in the back or in the back behind the walls. The Praetorian fight is just about it tracking you while your team picks at it, save your damage powers until its barrier is off its armor.

Arjen

Saya said:

Run in big circle's around the scions backwards while shooting the husks. Keep your teamates in cover on the left side where the husks spawn. And prey your teammates will be of some help..
This fight is a pain in the ass, but if you manage to dodge the shockwaves from the scions, you'll be ok

selig

Banned
Saya said:

Already two responses, but here´s how i did it:
From the entrance, go to the upper right corner. THere´s a ramp. Not much space, but I got up there, my team mates somewhere near. It was close at times, but from there I managed to decimate the Husks. Scions arent dangerous if you stay away far enough. And the Pretorian was unexpetcedly easy, I had more problems on my 2 "normal" runs, haha. Anyway, good luck.

Btw. question to those that are up-to-date:

1.) Do we know when the Mako-DLC is being released?
2. Same for the new character Kasumi.
3. Will Kasumi be as shallow as Zaeed, or get a deeper going presentation? Maybe even expanding the range of romance-options? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom