• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterkajo

selig said:
Btw. question to those that are up-to-date:

1.) Do we know when the Mako-DLC is being released?
2. Same for the new character Kasumi.
3. Will Kasumi be as shallow as Zaeed, or get a deeper going presentation? Maybe even expanding the range of romance-options? :p
1.) Hammerhad DLC will be released late March.
2.) Kasumi will be released 6. April.
3.) Don't know.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
witness said:
Hope Kas is no more than 400 points, whats everyone else willing to pay?

For 90 minutes of gameplay? Coming from the developers, that usually means it's going to be half as long, so I'd pay around 240 points.

Magik

Mizzou Gaming said:
I'm a bit late to the Mass Effect 2 party, but its good to see its still going on. I have a few questions before I get too far in the game. I am about an hour and a half in just in case you are wondering. On with the questions.

1. Which difficulty level do you recommend? Normally I always play the "normal" or the default setting in other games the first time I go through a game. I would much rather the game be too easy as opposed to too hard, but I also dont want it to be just silly easy. I started out on VETERAN, but am not far enough into the game to gauge if this is the proper setting for me.

2. Do you recommend controlling all your squads powers or just let the A.I. do it?

I know these settings are going to vary from person to person, but I'd really appreciate hearing thoughts and suggestions from all sides. Thank you

1. Anything below Insanity will be 'easy' aslong as you upgrade your armor and weapons.

2. I've only controlled my squads power on Insanity since you can easily get overwhelmed due to how much armor the enemies have. Other than Insanity, you'll be fine by letting the A.I. do the work. Of course, you'll have to do your part in the battle and not simply letting your squad members do everything.

Just landed at Ilium at the first time and... holy shit. What a fucking view!!

This variety of environments between planets in this game is just insane. I always find myself just standing around looking at shit :)

The atmosphere in this game is just incredible. Also the balance between depth, free-roaming and linearity is just perfect for me. I like a linear path to take me through a game, but I also like to be able to do other stuff as and when I want to - this game is just that perfect balance.

Wasn't sure about this game at first but now I'm addicted.

Sai

Gestahl said:
There seems to be video and pictures of new armor for Thane, Jack, and Garrus floating around, guessing it's safe to expect some alternate armor packs to be coming down the Cerberus Network pipe in the near future.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYiViFVEa6k

Video provided.
:/ Can anybody take screenshots or somethin'? Video won't play for me.

[EDIT] - Oh, wow. These were on the Cerberus Network early? Guess I missed out. :lol When did this happen?

Should've expected this, thought it was weird how Garrus' armor was still jacked up even after you gained his loyalty.

Ten-Song

Gestahl said:
There seems to be video and pictures of new armor for Thane, Jack, and Garrus floating around, guessing it's safe to expect some alternate armor packs to be coming down the Cerberus Network pipe in the near future.

Video provided.

Pretty cool considering there's not a lot of options to change up how your squad looks compared to the first game. Nice to see Garrus with some armor that doesn't have him looking all beat up.

Dresden

I wonder if they'll ever get armor for Jacob or Miranda that looks like something they can actually wear in space. Watching them run around with exposed skin and just some flimsy breathing mask in the Collector ship...

Did y'all do all of the side missions (detected anomalies)?

I'm a level 20 (I think) and just did the Investigate the Ship mission.
I have a couple more loyalty missions left but just wondering if you cats had any tidbits of advice. I'm full Paragon and I herd you need that for the end or something.

Anyway awesome game can't wait to finish it.

MirageDwarf said:
8986 squad points for Shepard on console version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYiViFVEa6k#t=01m07s

How the fuck?

Some glitch giving you infinite points:

Infinite Squad Points

To get the Infinite Squad Points, you will need at least 4 available points and a power ready to be evolved to its 4th form. Go to the Squad Menu and instead of pressing A to evolve a power, press X + A. This evolves the power, while "undoing" points transfer at the same time, leaving you with having both results. Now, repeat. NOTE: to get maximized results, make sure you have 10 available points so you can repeat the whole thing over and over again in one single session without leveling up your character. This allows you to upgrade all skills.

From GameFAQs

Or maybe that's a different glitch to get that insane number? but either way gets the desired effect.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
I wonder if they'll ever get armor for Jacob or Miranda that looks like something they can actually wear in space. Watching them run around with exposed skin and just some flimsy breathing mask in the Collector ship...

And Thane, Jack, Zaeed...

Dan Yo

Banned
Dresden said:
Watching Miranda run around in a skintight catsuit and high heels looks dumb for anything other than being on the Normandy. All of the squad members should have their own armor for combat situations.

Saya

Thanks Subitai, Arjen and Selig! I managed to finish the Horizon mission today.

But I have to admit, I cheesed my way through the first part of the fight with the two Scions. I just stood on top the stairs of the entrance to the area and used the sniper rifle to target the Scions. Then I just used reave and the concussion shots of Garrus and Grunt to take them out from a distance. It took a while, but they went down and they didn't activate the husks or themselves.

After activating the computer and starting the waves, I ran up the somewhat elevated ramp and positioned Garrus and Grunt there to take out the rushing Husks. Then I just used the sniper rifle to take out the Harbinger and other Collectors. I had to make a couple trips to the center area for ammo though. After the first wave I moved my team to the northern part of the area with the L shaped bends. I took the Husks out from there and I think the second wave was bugged because the Collectors and Harbinger didn't move to me at all. They just stayed at a distance, so I could pick them off one by one with the sniper.

And yeah, I have to agree the Preatorian fight wasn't that hard. I ran around that truck area, just throwing reave at it and it went down pretty fast.

Looking forward to finish rest of the game on insanity!

BTW, one more question. My first run of the game was a full Paragon run. And currently I'm going full Renegade. I don't think I will play ME2 again after this, but for ME3 I would like to use my Paragon game as the import file. Would that still be possible or has that file been overwritten now by my second Renegade run? Do you think I would need to do another Paragon run? Does anyone know how this works?

Dresden

Dan Yo said:
Watching Miranda run around in a skintight catsuit and high heels looks dumb for anything other than being on the Normandy. All of the squad members should have their own armor for combat situations.
Agreed.

Cep

Banned
Hell, even Tali should probably have heavier armor.

I do not buy the idea that Quarians on the front-lines have the same suit as civilians.

JoeMartin

I made it half way through a renegade replay and I realized something.

I fucking hate morality systems.

It's impossible to roleplay and answer questions as you realistically think you might actually react to varying situations because then you invariably miss out on paragon or renegade points and thus lose access to conversation options and consequently certain aspects of the storyline. Feeling pigeon-holed into picking the "bad" or "good" answer just to get morality points is absolutely terrible for any kind of immersion.

Arjen

Saya said:
Thanks Subitai, Arjen and Selig! I managed to finish the Horizon mission today.

But I have to admit, I cheesed my way through the first part of the fight with the two Scions. I just stood on top the stairs of the entrance to the area and used the sniper rifle to target the Scions. Then I just used reave and the concussion shots of Garrus and Grunt to take them out from a distance. It took a while, but they went down and they didn't activate the husks or themselves.

After activating the computer and starting the waves, I ran up the somewhat elevated ramp and positioned Garrus and Grunt there to take out the rushing Husks. Then I just used the sniper rifle to take out the Harbinger and other Collectors. I had to make a couple trips to the center area for ammo though. After the first wave I moved my team to the northern part of the area with the L shaped bends. I took the Husks out from there and I think the second wave was bugged because the Collectors and Harbinger didn't move to me at all. They just stayed at a distance, so I could pick them off one by one with the sniper.

And yeah, I have to agree the Preatorian fight wasn't that hard. I ran around that truck area, just throwing reave at it and it went down pretty fast.

Looking forward to finish rest of the game on insanity!

BTW, one more question. My first run of the game was a full Paragon run. And currently I'm going full Renegade. I don't think I will play ME2 again after this, but for ME3 I would like to use my Paragon game as the import file. Would that still be possible or has that file been overwritten now by my second Renegade run? Do you think I would need to do another Paragon run? Does anyone know how this works?

Congrats!
Good luck on the
collector ship
:D

well, I've sunk some hours into this now...and it is quite a different experience from the first. Combat is faster and more hectic now, and shields make enemies tougher. On the otherhand, going from vagaurd in the first, with all my biotic powers to infiltrator in this has taken some getting used to...I feel alot weaker.

I don't know why they changed the weapon and stats system, its a bit basic and crap now to be honest, but not a major issue.

Story has been pretty decent so far, just reached my first collector contact. Characters are decent but haven't got to 'know' them much yet.

Graphics are the kind of upgrade I would have expected. Definitely looks nicer than the first game.

Overall seems like a pretty damn good game, although not yet the greatness that reviews trumpeted. Not yet the kind of experience I had with U2 at least, nothing to blow me away as of yet.

Dan Yo

Banned
JoeMartin said:

It's impossible to roleplay and answer questions as you realistically think you might actually react to varying situations because then you invariably miss out on paragon or renegade points and thus lose access to conversation options and consequently certain aspects of the storyline. Feeling pigeon-holed into picking the "bad" or "good" answer just to get morality points is absolutely terrible for any kind of immersion.
Been saying the same thing since about page 15 of this thread. On top of that, they tell you exactly what the game's idea of a "good" answer or "bad" answer is before you even read the dialogue choice you're about to give. Essentially funneling all paragon players down the same storyline and all renegades down the same experience. So much for the game priding itself on players having unique experiences.

I was especially disappointed when I was not allowed to give my honest opinion on the Genophage without grabbing a bunch of renegade points, and thus, had to choose a bunch of options i would not have normally chosen had the morality meter just not been there.

Some of the most tense and awesome parts of the game were parts like the ending of Archangel's loyalty mission where you are given 2 choices, and whether the choice you make is good or bad is not told to you. You just simply make the choice you think is right. The left or the right one. If the game were full of sequences like that, and morally ambiguous choices where you are not told outright by the game what is right or wrong, then they'd have something so much deeper and immersive than what they have now.

rhino4evr

Dan Yo said:
Been saying the same thing since about page 15 of this thread. One top of that, they tell you exactly what the game's idea of a "good" answer or "bad" answer is before you even read the dialogue choice you're about to give. Essentially funneling all paragon players down the same storyline and all renegades down the same experience. So much for the game priding itself on players having unique experiences.

I was especially disappointed when I was not allowed to give my honest opinion on the Genophage without grabbing a bunch of renegade points, and thus, had to choose a bunch of options i would not have normally chosen had the morality meter just not been there.

Some of the most tense and awesome parts of the game were parts like the ending of Archangel's loyalty mission where you are given 2 choices, and whether the choice you make is good or bad is not told to you. You just simply make the choice you think is right. The left or the right one. If the game were full of sequences like that, and morally ambiguous choices where you are not told outright by the game what is right or wrong, then they'd have something so much deeper and immersive than what they have now.

I agree...I think the "wheel" should be completely random, so that you have no idea if your reaction is "good or bad"..it's just your reaction. Also they shouldn't even show you the "points"..instead the game should keep that info hidden, so you are not aware of what your actions are really doing to effect the story/characters. I played as a Paragon, and I can't tell you how stupid it is, to just pick the top left choice everytime you talk to someone.

JoeMartin said:

Nothing wrong with the morality system, it's just Bioware's dumbing dow... I mean, "streamlining" in effect.

If they had kept a separate skill for persuasion that determined dialogue options instead of tying it to morality then you wouldn't have this problem. But it was more important to not have too many skills for the shooter fan to worry about, so there you are.

I agree that the morality system could use some big time tweaking. I think the biggest issues with Bioware's morality systems, especially in Mass Effect are twofold.

First, it rewards extremism towards one end of the scale or another. All the gameplay benefits lie in being extremely paragon or extremely renegade with nothing in the middle, which is a bad design choice imo. It kind of throws any legit roleplaying out the window, and it makes most conversation choices extremely easy, especially when the game goes so far as to color code the "right" decision for you.

Second, going 100% paragon or renegade becomes an instant I Win Button no matter which side of the coin you fall on. I would love love love a situation in ME2 that could ONLY be resolved one way or the other, as opposed to both. Or how bout the ability to fail a paragon / renegade check, to throw some riskiness into going that route.

I think the best way to resolve this would be to remove the 100% success rate of paragon or renegade choices. For example, lets say early on in the game you capture an enemy, then you go with the saintly paragon route and decide to let him go after he promises to change his ways. A few hours later you get alerted to the fact that the same enemy is off causing havok somewhere, and you have to go put a stop to it. When you do, you're squadmates chime in with the whole, "Hey, isn't this the guy we allowed to walk earlier, maybe we should've put him down when we had the chance. This is kind of our fault for letting him go..." routine. That's just one example, but basically there should be instances where a paragon or renegade choice is the "wrong" choice.

Long post, cliff notes version: Adding some risks to paragon / renegade choices would make things more interesting imo.

Hyunkel6

Just got the game. I'm pleased to see that my french ME1 save can be transferred over to the english version of ME2. :D

Some questions before I start the game: Do you get more experience as you increase the difficulty? And should I play as a paragon or renegade on my 1st playthrough?

DeadGzuz

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
well, I've sunk some hours into this now...and it is quite a different experience from the first. Combat is faster and more hectic now, and shields make enemies tougher. On the otherhand, going from vagaurd in the first, with all my biotic powers to infiltrator in this has taken some getting used to...I feel alot weaker.

I don't know why they changed the weapon and stats system, its a bit basic and crap now to be honest, but not a major issue.

Story has been pretty decent so far, just reached my first collector contact. Characters are decent but haven't got to 'know' them much yet.

Graphics are the kind of upgrade I would have expected. Definitely looks nicer than the first game.

Overall seems like a pretty damn good game, although not yet the greatness that reviews trumpeted. Not yet the kind of experience I had with U2 at least, nothing to blow me away as of yet.

I'm about three hours in. I can't recall the first too much, but the story in this one feel a bit forced, I feel like Shepard is just a tool for greater forces instead of a badass. The graphics (PC version 1080P) are good and after getting xpadder working plays well. Some of the game mechanics are still a mystery to me, but nothing like the poor inventory system of the first. The game is very polished, but nothing wows me yet, maybe that part comes later. The levels are very linear so far too, but that is probably a good thing, I hate getting lost.

One thing was getting on my nerves, the auto saves points are not very generous sometimes. One part I died over and over and had to start from the beginning each time no matter how many of the mission objective I did and manual saves were disabled.

Wiggum2007

Gestahl said:

Video provided.

237ja1.jpg

:lol

X26

Banned
So is it safe to say no other DLC (save for maybe some minor stuff) will be free, and from here on on out it'll cost?

Debating whether to get rid of the game or not while the vlaue is still high. I've beaten it multiple times and have litterally done everything possible, but free DLC with some substance would make me keep hold of it

Confidence Man said:
Nothing wrong with the morality system, it's just Bioware's dumbing dow... I mean, "streamlining" in effect.

If they had kept a separate skill for persuasion that determined dialogue options instead of tying it to morality then you wouldn't have this problem. But it was more important to not have too many skills for the shooter fan to worry about, so there you are.
You do realize that the system in ME1 was identical to the one in ME2 right? Your persuasion skills were limited by how high your meters are. You couldn't advance past level 4 without high enough bars.

All in all I'm amazed people actually make the "I felt like such a moron for always selecting the top corner option." Yes, well. That would make someone feel like a moron.

Dead

well not really...yet
Gestahl said:

Video provided.
This guy posted a video of the first Hammerhead mission

Dude finished it in less than 4 minutes

Subitai

Alucrid said:
I'm hoping that that's just one of many that they put in.
Yeah, I hope so too.

DeadGzuz said:
One thing was getting on my nerves, the auto saves points are not very generous sometimes. One part I died over and over and had to start from the beginning each time no matter how many of the mission objective I did and manual saves were disabled.
I had auto save on and it always seemed to be at the right place compared to ME1. A few times I had to start over from scratch because I wanted to say something different in a conversation, so for me the auto save was basically perfect.

Which part were you dying on? And, are you sure you had it turned on? I mean, my auto save would activate after every important encounter or conversation.

derFeef

Only halfway through I think. I need to find more time with this but seeing that two nice DLC´s are coming, my timing may be spot-on.

Subitai

Hyunkel6 said:
Just got the game. I'm pleased to see that my french ME1 save can be transferred over to the english version of ME2. :D

Some questions before I start the game: Do you get more experience as you increase the difficulty? And should I play as a paragon or renegade on my 1st playthrough?
It's been awhile, what did you choose?

Also, anyone thinking of getting any of these figures:

14454_180x270.jpg
14452_180x270.jpg
14453_180x270.jpg
14455_180x270.jpg

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Man, just got this game the other day, I'm about 5 hours in. The graphics are absolutely stunning. The writing is so natural, even when you're going through the Q&A motions. I really feel like I'm experiencing this stuff. Missions are exciting as hell too so far, lot of variety.

I've made it up to the parts on Omega where I pick up Mordin and Archangel. When Archangel
took that hit
i legitimately was worried! About a video game character! I just met! It was a great sequence.
Was it possible to
have him die?

I know i'm probably no where near being done, but i'm playing this first playthrough making decisions as I would, but the second time around, I think I'm gonna be just this huge dick to everyone.:lol See how that works out. Only dick stuff I've done iirc is
take that crazy guy who saw the collectors to the illusive man, instead of leaving him with the girl there. Kinda lame that illusive Man shrugged him off and said he didn't have anything else to say, but i should have expected that
Real exciting stuff so far. Love the look of the Normandy. God damn this game is beautiful. I wish I could tweak my character's appearance juuust a bit more, but I suppose the only opportunity i had to get his face look right was in the beginning of the game, right?

Subitai

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Man, just got this game the other day, I'm about 5 hours in. The graphics are absolutely stunning. The writing is so natural, even when you're going through the Q&A motions. I really feel like I'm experiencing this stuff. Missions are exciting as hell too so far, lot of variety.

I've made it up to the parts on Omega where I pick up Mordin and Archangel. When Archangel
took that hit
i legitimately was worried! About a video game character! I just met! It was a great sequence.
Was it possible to
have him die?

I know i'm probably no where near being done, but i'm playing this first playthrough making decisions as I would, but the second time around, I think I'm gonna be just this huge dick to everyone.:lol See how that works out. Only dick stuff I've done iirc is
take that crazy guy who saw the collectors to the illusive man, instead of leaving him with the girl there. Kinda lame that illusive Man shrugged him off and said he didn't have anything else to say, but i should have expected that
Real exciting stuff so far. Love the look of the Normandy. God damn this game is beautiful. I wish I could tweak my character's appearance juuust a bit more, but I suppose the only opportunity i had to get his face look right was in the beginning of the game, right?
Right!

So, one of the few people who didn't import a ME1 character, much less play the epic tale it included. Um,
if you were thinking of hooking up with Miranda, start going all upper right and left(when you can), or you'll be one of the few left wanting before the end.
Someone, correct me if I'm wrong, but I just got the sense that not having Paragon/Renegade to start with made the conversation game a lot tougher.

Edit: What surprises me most is that you felt that much for Garrus that much without knowing him from the 1st game. Bioware writing +1 win again.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Subitai said:
Right!

So, one of the few people who didn't import a ME1 character, much less play the epic tale it included. Um,
if you were thinking of hooking up with Miranda, start going all upper right and left(when you can), or you'll be one of the few left wanting before the end.
Someone, correct me if I'm wrong, but I just got the sense that not having Paragon/Renegade to start with made the conversation game a lot tougher.

Edit: What surprises me most is that you felt that much for Garrus that much without knowing him from the 1st game. Bioware writing +1 win again.
I just understood this was a loyal guy, a badass in his own right, and knowledgeable and helpful. He was like, the qualities of everyone else I had met up to that point, rolled into one.

And yea, I guess it is rather important that I didn't play the first at all.:lol I'm picking up everything as I go along. It's a real heavy game, every little thing runs across another, whole lot to pick up. I love that.

What you mean by upper right/left? You mean, with the triggers, during a conversation?

Subitai said:
Right!

Not really. You just have to pick one to maximize and make choices accordingly. Having conversations with characters when you're on Normandy helps too. You also get one change to get 100% boost if you select one of Shepard's commander ability at power level 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom