• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zugzug

Masaki_ said:
this is a funny coincidence: I just installed zaeed's patch but now I regret it and I'm looking for a way to uninstall it because of how tacked on he feels. i really hope i don't have to uninstall the whole game and redownload it.

so far I agree tacked on with Zaeed, after doing his loyalty mission he just sits in the corner I visit his room but thats all don't take him on missions yet. Still havent' finished complete game yet.

Socreges

Banned
For those who aren't aware (saw a few posts that made me think possibly many people aren't), some planet scanning tips:

- tapping LT repeatedly as you scan around with the right stick is far, far faster. maybe 10x faster.
- if you find a large deposit, you don't need the scanner to be at the peak. you can shoot the drone when it's not in the sweet spot and still get the same amount. this also makes it easier, for example, to mine in a spot where you can get a lot of 2 or 3 different elements.

Would anyone else agree that platinum is the most scarce for how often it's needed?

Darklord

Banned
Masaki_ said:
this is a funny coincidence: I just installed zaeed's patch but now I regret it and I'm looking for a way to uninstall it because of how tacked on he feels. i really hope i don't have to uninstall the whole game and redownload it.

I actually like zaeed. I just wish he was more fleshed out.

Dan Yo

Banned
Hasphat6462 said:
All hail the the top option!
That's what I hate about the morality system. I chose the top option because that's what the game says is the good guy option, despite the fact that in a real situation, only an imbecile would choose that option.

I hope the next one doesn't try to tell me what's right or wrong and just simply gives me choices with consequences.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah I wouldn't expect them to do it at this point but I think they could just completley do away with the paragon/renegade system. The nice and mean choices are pretty clear, we don't need to see +7 paragon points every time we do a good dead. It's kind of silly and all it accomplishes is to make you feel like you have to play the game a certain way to fit your character. Also, the most important thing from your previous games is the choices you make, not your morality score. It made sense for KOTOR because Star Wars has the whole light side dark side thing but I think Mass Effect would benefit from just dropping it.

Zaeed is cool. I've been rolling with him and Jack as my renegade character.
Like you guys said, the only problem is that he doesn't really have any "screen time" and you can't even chat with him in the Normandy like the other characters. I like that they're adding characters through DLC but they don't feel like legitimate additions to the cast if you can't even talk to them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Darklord said:

So do I. I thought he was fine as a character, had a great loyalty mission, and was a pretty capable squadmate during gameplay.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
thorin said:
One way to get rid of him is to
let him die on his loyalty mission.

Click for spoilers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXt1OT1K3ss

I didn't even know you could do that. I did his mission with my total dick character, the part with the people asking for help with the fire was hilarious.
They were all like "PLEASE HELP US" and Shep was like "Uhhh....sorry, I gotta go."
It was probably my favorite renegade line after "This store discriminates against the poor!"

Dan Yo

Banned
EatChildren said:
So do I. I thought he was fine as a character, had a great loyalty mission, and was a pretty capable squadmate during gameplay.
I liked him a lot too. It was unfortunate that his way of communication is the same as it is with random citadel loiterer #5

Mrbob

Masaki_ said:

Zaeed is actually pretty cool. I took him on a couple missions. His frag grenade attack when fully powered up is deadly.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why Bioware didn't have Kasumi in at launch? I just don't see the appeal of adding another character at this point. I want to use my existing characters and travel to new areas and do new things.

Saya

Finished ME2 on insanity today. Was a fun ride, got 1000/1000 points and I think I'm done with the game now.
The collector ship part was supposed to be pretty hard, but I had a lot more trouble beating the finale of the Horizon mission. Even the second Preatorian fight was relatively easy. To be honest, once I discovered the Solder + Warp ammo combination, the game suddenly overall got a lot easier.

Can't wait for the third game. 2012, right?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dan Yo said:
I liked him a lot too. It was unfortunate that his way of communication is the same as it is with random citadel loiterer #5

Yeah, but its probably one of the reasons I like him. Outside of Shepard I fucking hate how BioWare handle basically every single human squadmate. Miranda has a boring back story and she's not very well acted, Jacob is flat and boring, and Jack has hardly any depth beyond "I WANNA PUNCH SHIT".

Zaeed was like "Yeah, I'm one of the best fucking mercenaries there is, I dont want to talk to you, lets go kill shit". His loyalty mission was fun and fit his character perfectly; straight to the point. Wrap it up in a cockney accent and I'm sold.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
EatChildren said:
Yeah, but its probably one of the reasons I like him. Outside of Shepard I fucking hate how BioWare handle basically every single human squadmate. Miranda has a boring back story and she's not very well acted, Jacob is flat and boring, and Jack has hardly any depth beyond "I WANNA PUNCH SHIT".

Zaeed was like "Yeah, I'm one of the best fucking mercenaries there is, I dont want to talk to you, lets go kill shit". His loyalty mission was fun and fit his character perfectly; straight to the point. Wrap it up in a cockney accent and I'm sold.

They focus so much on alien technology and backgrounds to wow sci-fi fans that they kind of skip on humans, for one, outside of going to the moon in ME1, there's never been a mission related to the sol system, why not show us what they think the earth could look like at those times? I fucking hope its in ME3.

EatChildren

Buggy Loop said:
They focus so much on alien technology and backgrounds to wow sci-fi fans that they kind of skip on humans, for one, outside of going to the moon in ME1, there's never been a mission related to the sol system, why not show us what they think the earth could look like at those times? I fucking hope its in ME3.

Nooo I dont even want that. I'd rather visit more crazy strange alien worlds than go to boring Earth. Everything in the Mass Effect games is so much more interesting when its as far away from the humans as possible.

ME3 will probably climax with an 'epic' battle on the home turf. Zzz. I hope Earth blows up.

Dan Yo

Banned
EatChildren said:

I enjoyed his loyalty mission and I enjoyed interacting with him during the loyalty mission. On the ship however, he's a waste of time to visit.

Dresden

EatChildren said:
Nooo I dont even want that. I'd rather visit more crazy strange alien worlds than go to boring Earth. Everything in the Mass Effect games is so much more interesting when its as far away from the humans as possible.

ME3 will probably climax with an 'epic' battle on the home turf. Zzz. I hope Earth blows up.
Earth blowing up would be pretty classic sci-fi stuff. Forcing the humans to embrace other worlds and all that. Uprooting humanity and making them deal with the aliens more would be a good ending.

Masaki_

I have no problem with Zaeed as a character, actually, I think he's badass and I love his voice. I just think he's in the wrong game. ME2 has a perfectly coherent cast and setting. At best, he's peripheral to them, at worst, he simply doesn't fit in. In my Mass Effect, he has no place.

Dresden

Masaki_ said:
I have no problem with Zaeed as a character, actually, I think he's badass and I love his voice. I just think he's in the wrong game. ME2 has a perfectly coherent cast and setting. At best, he's peripheral to them, at worst, he simply doesn't fit in. In my Mass Effect, he has no place.
Well, for everyone else, he was perfectly fine.

I still have concerns about how Kasumi would survive on Insanity. Those sneak attacks are going to get her killed.

EatChildren

Masaki_ said:

Interesting how that works. For me he fits in perfectly with the themes of ME2, especially with the group you're supposed to be assembling. The most out of place character for me is Thane.

Masaki_

EatChildren said:
Interesting how that works. For me he fits in perfectly with the themes of ME2, especially with the group you're supposed to be assembling. The most out of place character for me is Thane.

Even characters like Jack and Thane have more at stake in the mission. And they're more fleshed out, of course, which makes all the difference. I guess if he was in the game from the beginning it would've been ok, but he literally comes out of nowhere. He's barely acknowledged by the other characters and you don't have to work to recruit him to your team: he's just there waiting for you. Your relationship and history together amounts to you hiring him. I was done with his loyalty mission in what felt like less than half-hour, so that's the (little) impact he had on me.

In the end, he's an optional DLC character and will never be on the same level as all the others.

Flavius

Finished up the game proper tonight...so damn good!!!

Even with an ending more fitting for an Iron Maiden concert than a spectacular videogame.

Thank you, Bioware!!!

fbgamer

Banned
Hey guys theres something thats been bothering me lately about the end of ME1. So I just completed the game today so I can play ME2 and transfer saves when I noticed at the very end after I beat the game it doesn't prompt me to save after making a choice on who is to lead humanity. Is my save going to still transfer even though it's only up until the second part of the Saren boss battle? Or will it not be able to transfer the saves when I start a game on ME2?

EatChildren

fbgamer said:
Hey guys theres something thats been bothering me lately about the end of ME1. So I just completed the game today so I can play ME2 and transfer saves when I noticed at the very end after I beat the game it doesn't prompt me to save after making a choice on who is to lead humanity. Is my save going to still transfer even though it's only up until the second part of the Saren boss battle? Or will it not be able to transfer the saves when I start a game on ME2?

Thats the only registered save point. An oversight on BioWare's part. Its not possible to import a save with a 'saved' choice in who leads the council. What ME2 does is flat out ask you "Do you remember who you picked to sit on the council?" or something like that, and you just pick again.

You're good to go.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I like the way Zaeed is too badass for conversation. He's just like, "Stfu and learn something."

I thought Zaeed was an ok addition, but his total lack of conversations outside of his canned stories onboard the Normandy just screamed, "this character doesn't matter!" to me.

PSGames

The one big problem I have with ME2 is that each character should have their own unique powers.

Recycling the same 3 or 4 abilities across all the characters is just lazy game design. Take a game like MUA and it has dozens of characters all with their own unique powers/abilities. Hopefully they do something like this for ME3.

WaltJay

I can't believe it's going to be $7 for a 1 to 1.5 hour mission. When I read the quote that they are figuring out what to charge based on the amount of content, I thought it would be $5 or less consindering the ME1 DLC was at least 2 to 3 hours of content for $5. Then again, they are charging $2 for three costumes, so...yeah......

X26

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
I just keep getting disappointed with this game. The DLC has been utter crap so far.

than chain lightning heavy weapon is pretty cool though, most useful heavy of them all

But yea, I myself have sold the game recently. Got more than my money's worth with it, but the dlc news isn't good enough for me to want to have kept it around

witness

Bioware can make one hell of a single player game, problem is they can't do DLC. After screwing over Dragon Age owners now they are trying to do the same to ME2 owners, $7 effing bucks for this? Really? After the Hammerhead tomorrow I'm done, all goodwill toward them for making great single player games is gone.

I am officially done with Mass Effect DLC. $7 for 90 minutes of gameplay is a travesty. It's the same amount of gameplay as Pinnacle Station and that was only $4. I don't care if she's the best character or the best mission in the game, I am not paying for it.

S1kkZ

wow bioware. you promised awesome dlc and you failed again...
yes, there is more dlc but come on: suits (useless since you cannot take the helmet off), weapons (nice but should have been in the final game), a half assed vehicle, overpriced character+ mission and overpriced costumes.

Subitai

Flavius said:
Finished up the game proper tonight...so damn good!!!

Even with an ending more fitting for an Iron Maiden concert than a spectacular videogame.

Thank you, Bioware!!!
Sweet!

Did everyone live?

Mr_Zombie

S1kkZ said:
useless since you cannot take the helmet off

I do not understand how could anyone screw that up. I did not spent about 20-30 minutes creating my character (ok, I'm lying, I imported him from ME1, but that's not the point) in order to not be able to see him for the majority of the game.

Was it really that hard to make those armours as two separate models (armour and helmet)?

REV 09

Mr_Zombie said:
I do not understand how could anyone screw that up. I did not spent about 20-30 minutes creating my character (ok, I'm lying, I imported him from ME1, but that's not the point) in order to not be able to see him for the majority of the game.

Was it really that hard to make those armours as two separate models (armour and helmet)?
They even got it right in Dragon Age. The helmet comes off during conversations in that game.

Karram

I already have 640 MSP on My Live account, so I'll probably buy the DLC since its the only thing less than 640 MSP that I'm interested in it.

Subitai

Mr_Zombie said:

Ya, that was disappointing, although I remember saving my Collector armor for missions where you had your helmet on anyway (
Wearing it to Tali's trial was the killer :D
).

*sigh* Bioware...

SlickVic

$7 for 1-1.5 hours does seem a bit much. Probably hold off on this unless it's some incredibly fun mission. I'd be a lot more willing to buy this if it was $5 or less.

Sectus

I don't see how anyone would be interested in something like that, even if it were fairly priced. I'm gonna bet most people in here have already completed the game, and it just seems ridiculous to go back to the game to play one single extra mission.

I miss the days of expansions packs.

Tim-E

I beat Mass Effect for the first time like 4 weeks ago and I plowed through it in just a few sittings. When I was nearing the end, I went ahead and bought it on Steam and loaded it up so it'd be ready for me as soon as I finished the first one. :lol

Sometimes the game was a bit too shooter-y for my tastes, but there was enough variety in the missions to keep me interested, and I loved the characters. Played as a renegade through both games and thoroughly enjoyed myself.
The suicide mission was a blast and probably my favorite mission from either game. Only Zaeed and Mordin died on my game, so I wasn't super upset over my losses
. Both games have their strengths and weaknesses over one another, but I haven't been engrossed in a universe or a series like this in sometime and it frustrates me to no end that I didn't jump in sooner.

Ten-Song

SlickVic said:
$7 for 1-1.5 hours does seem a bit much.

Especially when you compare it to the DLC for Fallout 3 and Borderlands. Both those games have some meaty damn expansions for just 10 bucks a pop.

beat

REV 09 said:
They even got it right in Dragon Age. The helmet comes off during conversations in that game.
Also happened in ME1, the game that ME2 is a sequel to. If you equipped a helmet in ME1, it was off for conversations, except on planets without breathable atmospheres.

Owzers

Sectus said:
I don't see how anyone would be interested in something like that, even if it were fairly priced. I'm gonna bet most people in here have already completed the game, and it just seems ridiculous to go back to the game to play one single extra mission.

I miss the days of expansions packs.

I would rather have an expansion pack, but i'd go back to ME 2 to play a good hour long mission, at the right price. $7 is not that price.

Dresden

beat said:
Also happened in ME1, the game that ME2 is a sequel to. If you equipped a helmet in ME1, it was off for conversations, except on planets without breathable atmospheres.
And you could toggle helmets on and off. Crazy stuff, no idea why they took that feature off.

Subitai

Tim-E said:
The suicide mission was a blast and probably my favorite mission from either game. Only Zaeed and Mordin died on my game, so I wasn't super upset over my losses
. Both games have their strengths and weaknesses over one another, but I haven't been engrossed in a universe or a series like this in sometime and it frustrates me to no end that I didn't jump in sooner.
Get the word out so there are fewer people making your mistake. :D

Anyway, it is so much more rewarding if you start with the 1st game. I know it didn't happen much,
the possibility of Tali or Garrus dying ads so much to the intensity of the last mission for me personally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom