• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai

Is it really a recruiting mission, or a simple pick up like with Zaeed? Looked like the latter, based on Kasumi's apparent meeting with Shepard in the trailers.

Oh wow, if it is anything like Zaeed, it is a total waste. There is no interaction or what so ever with Zaeed. Hopefully Bioware is smarter than that.

Hypertrooper said:
Not really, you get the Recruit Quest and 1 loyal mission.

We'll see, dosn't seem like that in the trailer. I hope we get some reviews.

But, still I won't get the DLC until some deal appears, if we get a new character I want some interaction with him, Zaeed was a huge dissapointment, I don't want to get another character so I can hear the same one liners the other characters put on some quest/mission and a bunch of uninteresting histories.

I never used Zaeed on my second playthrough, never speak to him aside from his loyal mission and I did the loyal mission for the sake of having 100% done....

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
So, 720 "points" for both this and the alternate costumes... and you can buy 800 points. Well, it's only a 10% spill. For €7 it's not that bad. But, I do wonder if BioWare or the marketing people are actually taking this kind of reasoning into account or do they think people think in these "points"?

Also, I just noticed from watching the trailer: why is Shepard so much faffing about while human colonies are going missing? Is the game kind of just ignoring the plot at this moment while they beef up the DLC content?

Jrmint

Could you guys give some impressions whenever you play it? I'd love to hear some GAF reviews before taking the plunge.

So pissed, I currently have 550 points, and of course there is no way to just buy 10.

Arjen

I've been dying to get back in Mass Effect with the DLC.
But the bastards are releasing it in a week with 2 awesome Champions League matches.
Have to wait until thursday then :(

Peff

I have enough points laying around so I think I'll take one for the team with this when it goes up. It's weird that the achievement list hasn't even been updated yet though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm pretty sure all previews have been written in a way that implies there's no recruit mission, and instead just the loyalty mission. I figure most people will be cranky, but I liked Zaeed and liked his loyalty mission, so I'm in.

Plus it comes with a new SMG and I needs me a new one.

EatChildren said:
I'm pretty sure all previews have been written in a way that implies there's no recruit mission, and instead just the loyalty mission. I figure most people will be cranky, but I liked Zaeed and liked his loyalty mission, so I'm in.

I like Zaeeds Loyalty Mission, too and i love ME2. And the mission that we can see in the trailer reminds me about some old-spy movies.

so does anyone know if this new mission is available as soon as you get the ship at the beginning of the game? In other words same time as Zaeed?

Coz I really want a nice SMG early in the game, always miss the tempest when I start a new non-Soldier character

Jrmint

cleveridea said:
so does anyone know if this new mission is available as soon as you get the ship at the beginning of the game? In other words same time as Zaeed?

Coz I really want a nice SMG early in the game, always miss the tempest when I start a new non-Soldier character
Yea it should be, just like Zaedd's was.

Btw, your avatar is fucked up lol.

Jrmint

So I just played the Hammerhead DLC for the first time today while waiting on this other dlc.

Holy crap that shit is dumb. I normally hate vehicle missions and this one went right along with it.

I got to the 1st one after you acquire the thing where you have to get the 5 artifacts and the freaking Geth kill you in 2 seconds. I AM IN A TANK. And they are able to kill me in 10 seconds? Don't think I'll ever be playing those missions again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Skel said:
I got to the 1st one after you acquire the thing where you have to get the 5 artifacts and the freaking Geth kill you in 2 seconds. I AM IN A TANK. And they are able to kill me in 10 seconds? Don't think I'll ever be playing those missions again.

No offense dude, but if your biggest issue with the Hammerhead pack is how easy it is to die then your biggest problem is you just plain suck at controlling the thing.

The entire Hammerhead pack is a breeze. The combat is so broken in your favour its laughable, and I only died once when I boosted off a ledge into lava. Most people seem to find it just as easy, too.

Keep moving, keep your distance, spam missiles, and you shouldnt even die once.

Jrmint

I guess I'll try again. Like I said I never really like playing vehicles sections so that is part of my problem.

I didn't think to keep my distance though, I was pretty close up.

Thanks for the tip.

Peff

The missiles have a ridiculous range, so most of the time you can just shoot when your enemies can't even see you. Plus, only one mission and a half have combat.

Dan Yo

Banned
I'll wait until it's discounted. 7 bucks is a little too steep for this small addition to a game I've already finished. I'd have likely jumped in if priced a little less.

Oh well, plenty of other games to get to anyway.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Shoot, I didn't know this would already be out. I just bought the Dark Forest DLC for Dante's Inferno the other day.

Skel said:
So I just played the Hammerhead DLC for the first time today while waiting on this other dlc.

Holy crap that shit is dumb. I normally hate vehicle missions and this one went right along with it.

Wha? The Hammerhead controls extremely well. Have you played ME1? The Mako was a chore compared to the Hammerhead. I never died once using the Hammerhead and completed all missions with it.

Samara

EatChildren said:

You pick her up at the citadel. I really like her costume but the voice sounds old and raspy. So this is it in terms of DLC I suppose.

Sai

S'up with the delay? Thought we'd be getting this around noon-ish like the others. :/

Samara said:
You pick her up at the citadel. I really like her costume but the voice sounds old and raspy. So this is it in terms of DLC I suppose.
I'm sure we'll be getting new skins/armor later down the road, maybe even a few more Hammerhead missions?

But as far as something this big is concerned... Yeah, you're probably right.

Owzers

Sai said:
S'up with the delay? Thought we'd be getting this around noon-ish like the others. :/

I'm sure we'll be getting new skins/armor later down the road, maybe even a few more Hammerhead missions?

But as far as something this big is concerned... Yeah, you're probably right.

I'm hoping for an expansion pack of some sorts like Dragon Age, even one that can be playable by itself without requiring the last game and last about 15-20 hours. These $7/45min-1hr things.........i'm definitely waiting for reviews.

Menelaus

Banned
Official pity post requesting an unused Xbox Cerberus Network code from a fellow GAFfer. Let me know what I can do for you in return.

sillymonkey321 said:
I'm hoping for an expansion pack of some sorts like Dragon Age, even one that can be playable by itself without requiring the last game and last about 15-20 hours. These $7/45min-1hr things.........i'm definitely waiting for reviews.
Isn't there supposed to be some sort of dlc related to Liara? Or was that just a rumor?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
sillymonkey321 said:

Any chance the Kasumi DLC might be more than your regular crappy 1 hour-ish add-on?

check this lego normandy.. pretty bad ass!
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/188396

1269534244m_SPLASH.jpg

12695342452_SPLASH.jpg

Gravijah

Sorry for asking this but I'm afraid of running into spoilers. If I play the game without a save for the first game, am I stuck with a bunch of generic choices?

Gravijah said:
Sorry for asking this but I'm afraid of running into spoilers. If I play the game without a save for the first game, am I stuck with a bunch of generic choices?

not really. the result of the main choices you make carries over. sinec you haven't made them, you'll just get the default choices carried over. but don't worry, you still have to make new choices in me2.

Dresden

Gravijah said:
Almost everything that happens in the first game will be chosen for you, but there's enough choices to be made in ME2 that it won't matter much.

That said, I'd hunt down ME1 and play that first, because the two as a duology is some good stuff.

Gravijah

Dresden said:
Almost everything that happens in the first game will be chosen for you, but there's enough choices to be made in ME2 that it won't matter much.

That said, I'd hunt down ME1 and play that first, because the two as a duology is some good stuff.

I had already played ME1 years back, but it was on a friends 360 that is long gone. It's gonna suck not having all of my choices, but I'll live plus I've already got ME2 rented. Time to jump in. :)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Getting close to the end of the game (I think). Just recruited Tali and now have a full squad (besides the Cerebus Network squad member, fuck-you-very-much, EA). Have about half the loyalty missions done.

Feelings on the game are mixed. I thought ME1 was "good not great" and I'm glad I only rented it, but glad I played through it nonetheless. The ME2 praise was getting a little nuts... best RPG of the generation, strong GotY candidate, etc. Much higher praise than the eights ME1 got.

So, I like ME2 more than the first, but I still think the heaps of praise were way out of line. Basically my enjoyment of the ME franchise seems to be one step below the general populations. They think ME1 is very good, I think it's OK. They think ME2 is amazing, I think it's very good.

The dialogue and voice acting is very clunky. The worst offender BY FAR is (male) shepherd attempting to smile/flirt. IDK WTF it is, but he makes the CREEPIEST facial expression imaginable. It honestly freaks me out.

The much-praised streamlined combat experience almost work against the game, rather than in its favor, as well. The first game was very much an RPG in its combat. ME2, by leaning more in the shooter direction, invites comparisons to other shooters. And the shooting is less responsive and satisfying than in COD, Borderlands, Halo, or Gears.

You might be saying to yourself that it's completely unfair to compare ME2 to those games, but Bioware themselves invited the comparison by making the combat more "pure shooter" and more action oriented. They could have streamlined other elements of the game (like equipment), but kept the combat feeling the same as ME1. They opted not to.

The squadmates themselves are the true stars here. For every extremely memorable and complex squadmate (Mordin, Thane), there is another that is dead weight (Jacob, Grunt). Others fall somewhere in the middle (Jack, Miranda). All of them, even the good ones, run perilously close to being one-note, however. I lol'd towards the end of the game when Miranda brought up her genetic heritage AGAIN and one of the dialogue options was "you sure talk about this a lot."

Loyalty missions are equally mixed. Mordin is, in my opinion, hands-down the best character in the game, with the best side-story, moral dilemmas, backstory, personality, etc. The genophage situation is... genuinely complex and thought-provoking, with no easy answers.

In contrast, Grunts stuff is just pointless and unsatisfying.

Last point - for a game that spans the galaxy, the actual "game world" seems very small. We spend a lot of time in warehouses and small corridors. Reviewers commented that ME2 feels more cohesive and connected than ME1, but I think I disagree. The game is a series of loosely-connected missions, and (an even worse offense), those missions themselves are loosely-connected series' of dialogue and combat. When playing a mission I feel as if I can almost see Bioware's spreadsheet for that mission, listing the combat encounters, dialogue encounters, etc.

I get the impression that each mission could have had 2 - 3 more (or less) rooms of combat without the overall experience skipping a beat, and that shouldn't be the case. Things need to be more tightly woven, and I don't just mean from a narrative perspective.

In ME3 instead of running recruitment/loyalty missions interspersed with the occasional story mission, we need to have story missions interspersed with the occasional squadmate mission.

Mr Jared

GDJustin said:
The dialogue and voice acting is very clunky.

Whoa, wait, what? I don't understand how--

The worst offender BY FAR is (male) shepherd

Well there's your problem. You somehow picked up a version of Mass Effect that includes a Male Shepard. Did you make sure to download the latest patch? There shouldn't be a Male Shepard. That's awful.

Samara

Male Shepard is fine. Sure Sheploo's face is a bit creepy, but his renegade lines are awesome. Especially at the shop on the Citadel :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom