• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hate all this bite-sized crap being slowly dribbled out. It's fine I suppose if you happen to be in the middle of a playthrough, but I'm supposed to go load up the game I finished months ago and spend another $7 for one fucking mission?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Arjen said:
Is that dress a pc mod, or is it in the Xbox DLC as well?

Aaand i just realised that i got exited about a virtual dress :(

It's the dress femshep wears to the party where the heist takes place. And afterwards you can wear it on the ship :D

vocab said:
Nope. They have been building on the Shadow broker for two games now. You can bet it will be a big deal in Mass Effect 3

He can be in ME2 DLC and still be a big deal in ME3. I hope Bioware really delivers on that. I want a nice meaty questline with a lot of talking to Liara. Or I guess playing as Liara, but if Bioware does that I hope she has some unique powers that Shepherd can't have. Also, she should automatically be able to persuade easily because she is an Asari.

Confidence Man said:
Hate all this bite-sized crap being slowly dribbled out. It's fine I suppose if you happen to be in the middle of a playthrough, but I'm supposed to go load up the game I finished months ago and spend another $7 for one fucking mission?

It only bothers me because it leaves me wanting more and I hate waiting. I have just kept my save from the post endgame and try out the new DLC there and then at some point I will do a full playthrough with all the DLC in the game.

as a big fan of ME2, I loved this Kasumi download. I thought her special power was very interesting and different from all the other generic powers many of your other team mates have. It looks awesome too, to see her cloaking and uncloaking. the way she is introduced is cool/funny too

the new SMG initially was underwhelmed with, but over time I got to really appreciate its range - unlike a tempest, you can keep firing on auto at an enemy from much longer ranges in comparison

I also thought the mission was a nice change of pace and location. very pleased, and nice to have a full auto SMG before the tempest for those non combat classes. kasumi also was awesome to have as a team mate due to the cloaking...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Purchased and finished the Kasumi DLC. Here's a rundown of my highly sought after pros and cons.

PROS:

- Great character design. She doesnt say a whole lot, but she's immediately likeable and her story is interesting. Her chatter on the Normandy is great, and visually she looks really nice. By far one of the most interesting human companions across both games, despite having little screen time.

- Awesome power. Her ability to cloak and attack an enemy works really nicely, doesnt feel cheap, and doesnt seem like it can be easily exploited. She makes sure to cloak back after an attack so she doesnt end up surrounded by enemies.

- A really great loyalty quest. I'd say its one of my favourite of the whole lot. Its got a simple but interesting plot, and the pacing is nice. The mission is nicely seperated into a non-combat and combat section, both being a lot of fun. Not particuarly difficult, but engaging and interesting. Doesnt feel too long or too short.

- New SMG is pretty rad. I dont like the sound it makes, but functionally it seems like the best of the three machine pistols, mostly thanks to its crazy good accuracy over distance.

- The locations for the mission are really cool. One particular section allows Kasumi to comment on a number of things, and while it doesnt really add anything to the lore, its interesting none the less.

- New dress for Femshep to strut around the Normandy.

CONS:

- Kasumi, like Zaeed, has no branching conversations on the ship. She will comment on things if you select her, and she will comment on objects around the room. For people who felt like Zaeed was tacked on, they will feel exactly the same here.

- Not enough fleshing out of her character. She's pretty interesting and its sad that we only get one mission out of it. A recruit mission should have been included to give her a bit more back story and extend the length of the package.

- FMV. Really low res ugly as hell FMV. Its so bad I'm wondering if its worse than ME2 already was.

- Will probably be percieved as overpriced by most, but I enjoyed it and had no problem with paying what I did.

In all I recommend it. Functionally, Kasumi is a great addition to the cast thanks to an interesting power, and the mission is fun. The new SMG is also really useful. Graphically its pretty, varied, and feels 'complete' moreso than probably any of the ME2 DLC to date. Lots of custom animations, dialogue, scripted scenes, and variety.

Ultimately it will come down to how much value you find in modern era of DLC, and how much you love Mass Effect. If you're a hungry fanboy who longs for more I doubt you'll be disappointed, as the package, character, and mission are a lot of fun. But if you're concerned with the price tag, and if you were not impressed with Zaeeds lack of ship dialogue nor recruit mission, you're probably best to wait until it comes along in a GOTY edition or some shit.

I loved it, but I'm a Mass Effect fanboy. Honestly, my biggest issue is similar to Zaeed but not what most people complain about; both Kasumi and Zaeed are two of the most charismatic and interesting human characters, yet they both get shafted when it comes to branching dialogue. Zaeed's on-ship banter was, for me, nearly always more interesting than whatever boring crap Miranda and Jacob would rattle on about, and Kasumi looks to be no different. So I didnt find Zaeed as bad as many others did, an thus may be a bit biased in this mini-review. But I do wish BioWare would focus on these charismatic, interesting character over the craptacular human cast of Miranda, Jacob, Kaeden, and Ashley.

And for those who finished it;
during the memory of Kasumi's partner at the end we see snippets of Reapers, and he says that if the council found his information the Alliance could be seriously implicated. Any speculation on what he was talking about? The link for ME2 could be him finding out about the human Reaper, but that wouldnt implicate the Alliance. The only other thing I can think of is he found out where the Illusive Man was getting his funding, Alliance personal and what not, and feels the council would not be impressed. Otherwise, could this be looking towards Mass Effect 3?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nice write-up Eatchildren, it was a nice read. I agree with everything you say and in reference to your spoilers I feel like Bioware likes to set up things that could potentially have a big impact and then do nothing with them. They kinda did the same thing in the Firewalker pack :(

One thing I would really like to see is a follow up mission to the loyalty missions that would maybe become unlocked after the "end game." That way we could further flesh out each character without adding to the "make your crew happy on random side missions that don't relate to the main mission even though the main mission is incredibly urgent" feeling. I would happily pay for pack of missions that do this.

Rubezh

I just tried Kasumi in the suicide mission.
I put her in the vents and she survived. Wasn't sure if she was a tech expert or not but she got the job done.

Shoogoo

For an insane playthrough, would you say it's better to start off with a new character or go with a new game+?

I'm stuck with an infiltrator lvl30 at the part where
you either meet Kaidan or Ashley
, can't remember the name, sorry :|

Maybe I just suck at this, but it's often the AI that dies in a flash and leave me alone fighting 10 mobs :/

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Confidence Man said:

Yep. It's a practice that does not work for ME2. I purposefully held off pushing through my Insanity run JUST so Bioware could launch all this new content. Had I finished that run already, I wouldn't even bother.

its so sweet you get to keep that awesome dress for after you complete the kasumi mission, im looking like a diva! :lol :lol wow im sounding really fem right now... :lol

Masaki_

EatChildren said:

You know, I actually like Kasumi a lot better than Zaeed and she could've been a fully fleshed-out canon character like the rest of the cast. Also, she seems to be an excellent (and unique) squad mate, and with that godly SMG you find in her loyalty mission, my future playthroughs are guaranteed to be more fun.

Having a really cool room with a bar doesn't hurt, either.

Shoogoo said:
For an insane playthrough, would you say it's better to start off with a new character or go with a new game+?

I'm stuck with an infiltrator lvl30 at the part where
you either meet Kaidan or Ashley
, can't remember the name, sorry :|

Maybe I just suck at this, but it's often the AI that dies in a flash and leave me alone fighting 10 mobs :/

No, you don't suck. Horizon is one of the hardest missions in the game, at least near the end. However, if you're an infiltrator, you shouldn't have a problem avoiding being swarmed. All the enemies in this level have barrier, while the special enemies have that in addition to armor instead of health. Bring members with skills that deplete barriers quickly, like Concussive Shot and Warp. Keep in mind that the boss has a shield instead of barrier, so Overload and Disruptor Ammo are most effective. It'll also help immensely if you have weapons and skills that are effective against armor, such as the sniper rifle and Incinerate. In this mission, you also receive a heavy weapon that should be very useful against the boss.

Another tip: husks without armor can be insta-killed by biotic attacks.

Rubezh

God damn. The new casual outfit for male Shep sucks, it's just a reskin of one of the outfits already in the game and not even as detailed.

Arjen

Just funished Kasumi, really loved it. It's one of the best missions in the game, great story, variety, cool setpiece. Totally worth the 560 spacebucks.

Oh, and is there a dutch guy working on this game?
First the FEBO everywhere, and now a planet with a dutch name :D

EatChildren said:
Purchased and finished the Kasumi DLC. Here's a rundown of my highly sought after pros and cons.

PROS:

- Great character design. She doesnt say a whole lot, but she's immediately likeable and her story is interesting. Her chatter on the Normandy is great, and visually she looks really nice. By far one of the most interesting human companions across both games, despite having little screen time.

- Awesome power. Her ability to cloak and attack an enemy works really nicely, doesnt feel cheap, and doesnt seem like it can be easily exploited. She makes sure to cloak back after an attack so she doesnt end up surrounded by enemies.

- A really great loyalty quest. I'd say its one of my favourite of the whole lot. Its got a simple but interesting plot, and the pacing is nice. The mission is nicely seperated into a non-combat and combat section, both being a lot of fun. Not particuarly difficult, but engaging and interesting. Doesnt feel too long or too short.

- New SMG is pretty rad. I dont like the sound it makes, but functionally it seems like the best of the three machine pistols, mostly thanks to its crazy good accuracy over distance.

- The locations for the mission are really cool. One particular section allows Kasumi to comment on a number of things, and while it doesnt really add anything to the lore, its interesting none the less.

- New dress for Femshep to strut around the Normandy.

CONS:

- Kasumi, like Zaeed, has no branching conversations on the ship. She will comment on things if you select her, and she will comment on objects around the room. For people who felt like Zaeed was tacked on, they will feel exactly the same here.

- Not enough fleshing out of her character. She's pretty interesting and its sad that we only get one mission out of it. A recruit mission should have been included to give her a bit more back story and extend the length of the package.

- FMV. Really low res ugly as hell FMV. Its so bad I'm wondering if its worse than ME2 already was.

- Will probably be percieved as overpriced by most, but I enjoyed it and had no problem with paying what I did.

In all I recommend it. Functionally, Kasumi is a great addition to the cast thanks to an interesting power, and the mission is fun. The new SMG is also really useful. Graphically its pretty, varied, and feels 'complete' moreso than probably any of the ME2 DLC to date. Lots of custom animations, dialogue, scripted scenes, and variety.

Ultimately it will come down to how much value you find in modern era of DLC, and how much you love Mass Effect. If you're a hungry fanboy who longs for more I doubt you'll be disappointed, as the package, character, and mission are a lot of fun. But if you're concerned with the price tag, and if you were not impressed with Zaeeds lack of ship dialogue nor recruit mission, you're probably best to wait until it comes along in a GOTY edition or some shit.

I loved it, but I'm a Mass Effect fanboy. Honestly, my biggest issue is similar to Zaeed but not what most people complain about; both Kasumi and Zaeed are two of the most charismatic and interesting human characters, yet they both get shafted when it comes to branching dialogue. Zaeed's on-ship banter was, for me, nearly always more interesting than whatever boring crap Miranda and Jacob would rattle on about, and Kasumi looks to be no different. So I didnt find Zaeed as bad as many others did, an thus may be a bit biased in this mini-review. But I do wish BioWare would focus on these charismatic, interesting character over the craptacular human cast of Miranda, Jacob, Kaeden, and Ashley.

And for those who finished it;
during the memory of Kasumi's partner at the end we see snippets of Reapers, and he says that if the council found his information the Alliance could be seriously implicated. Any speculation on what he was talking about? The link for ME2 could be him finding out about the human Reaper, but that wouldnt implicate the Alliance. The only other thing I can think of is he found out where the Illusive Man was getting his funding, Alliance personal and what not, and feels the council would not be impressed. Otherwise, could this be looking towards Mass Effect 3?

I wast just waiting your review.
Im going to buy it.

Rubezh

Did anybody else think Donovan Hock had an extremely bizzare accent? At first I thought they were going for the typical South American but on occasion this would suddenly transform mid conversation into something from a London back alley.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Did the Thane pick up mission. Pretty badass ending, this dude is pretty noble for an assasin.

What characters do you guys use most often? I've found Jacob to be the most useful with my Commando Soldier. His pull abilities alone are badass, but he's a pretty good shot as well. He rarely dies, while most other characters I've used die more regularly.

markatisu

Finished the Kasumi mission, totally worth the money imho.

I just wish that they would allow the DLC people to integrate with the game the same as everyone else.

It cannot take up that much space to have some branching dialog and at least fein some interactivity with them once on the ship.

The mission had a nice mix of slow exploration and action

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Did the Thane pick up mission. Pretty badass ending, this dude is pretty noble for an assasin.

What characters do you guys use most often? I've found Jacob to be the most useful with my Commando Soldier. His pull abilities alone are badass, but he's a pretty good shot as well. He rarely dies, while most other characters I've used die more regularly.

I try to mix it up but Miranda is too damn useful.

Dresden

SpeedingUptoStop said:

Depends on the difficulty. I never liked Jacob though, because Grunt does the same thing, but has a melee attack and twice the health that Jacob does.

Generally, Miranda is the single best squadmate, followed by Garrus, Zaeed, and Thane. Mordin and Grunt are also up there. No idea how Kasumi fits in, don't have the DLC yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dresden said:
Generally, Miranda is the single best squadmate, followed by Garrus, Zaeed, and Thane. Mordin and Grunt are also up there. No idea how Kasumi fits in, don't have the DLC yet.

From this point on I will prolly roll with Miranda and Kasumi so I get to view as much ass as possible (my femshep has lesbian tendencies). Also, Kasumi has some sick powers that are really useful.

markatisu

SpeedingUptoStop said:

I used Grunt and Garrus most of the time, think I will rotate in Kasumi now because her skills are just too awesome.

bj00rn_

Banned
Just finished Firewalker and Kasumi. Enjoyed Firewalker and loved Kasumi. The shortness of the mission was kinda ok since I already spent so much time in the game...

cazosozey

Just played through the Kasumi DLC twice. On the day it came out and today on my insanity play through, which isn't completed yet.
I think other fans will enjoy it especially if you plan on doing multiple play throughs. Kasumis shadow strike move really is a beast and she hasn't left my side since I got her.

Did anyone else see the Dragon Age shout out in her mission? Thought it was pretty funny.

ogre statue

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So when you guys maxed out Kasumi's shadow strike power, what did you choose? I went with the "if it's a kill the power regen time is decreased by 85%", but I'm curious to hear if the other option might have been the better choice.

cazosozey

Stallion Free said:
So when you guys maxed out Kasumi's shadow strike power, what did you choose? I went with the "if it's a kill the power regen time is decreased by 85%", but I'm curious to hear if the other option might have been the better choice.

I went with this as well as she is almost always finishing off stragglers for me after burning down defenses.

Rubezh said:
Did anybody else think Donovan Hock had an extremely bizzare accent? At first I thought they were going for the typical South American but on occasion this would suddenly transform mid conversation into something from a London back alley.

I think he has a South African accent, but I'm no expert.

i can't get myself to finish this game when i know there might be dlc with liara in it :(
(i liked her character in ME - don't get why everyone thought she was annoying).

So, as a result, I haven't touched the game in weeks (i am not a big fan of replaying games, and certainly not right after finishing them). It's a bit of a perverse effect of dlc that is 'tacked on' the main story for me. now i am just waiting for all interesting dlc to come out before going further (i just arrived in that big intergalactic city where liara currently hangs out).

i much prefer 'side stories' as dlc (a bit like edy's detachement stuff in valkyria chronicles), or big dlc (like dragon age), than this kind of stuff.
:/

so.. any vague ETA for the next dlc?

Gravijah

Does scanning actual planets ever actually lead to secret missions? I'm about 20 hours in and I've scanned quite a few but still not a single one.

Edit: Nevermind, trolling for planets and... "ANOMALY DETECTED"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Pankaks said:
This this this this.

With the Hammerhead now in the game they could too.

Gravijah said:
Does scanning actual planets ever actually lead to secret missions? I'm about 20 hours in and I've scanned quite a few but still not a single one.

Edit: Nevermind, trolling for planets and... "ANOMALY DETECTED"

Just click on a planet. If it doesnt say "Anomaly Detected" right away there's nothing to find by minerals.

I can't find the hacked holo-ad in the zakera ward! I've looked everywhere and clicked on every ad on each floor...

NVM, it's right when you enter the Citadel...lol

EatChildren

Deadly Monk said:
I can't find the hacked holo-ad in the zakera ward! I've looked everywhere and clicked on every ad on each floor...

Its right where you spawn before you even pass security.

george_us

I just finished all of the Firewalker missions, the Kasumi mission, and the Zaeed mission all in the span of two days. The Firewalker missions were freaking awesome and I can't wait to get more of them. Both the Kasumi and Zaeed missions were awesome as well.

Only hesitation in picking this up and finally starting a 2nd playthrough of this game is that it would leave me with 65 allards. What in blue fuck am I going to do with that?

My snail ass finally finished the game today.

Sooooooooooooo Good!

I fucking love this series so much, I was especially proud
that all of my team members survived the suicide mission
time to pick up the new DLC now. Already beat every other mission! :D

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Bringing Down the Sky is still the best DLC in Mass Effect. Both Kasumi and Firewalker come off as rather mediocre. Imagine if they had combined them. I don't know why they want everything bitesized in ME2 but it comes off giving a very stale impression of the game as a whole.

EatChildren

kinoki said:
Bringing Down the Sky is still the best DLC in Mass Effect. Both Kasumi and Firewalker come off as rather mediocre. Imagine if they had combined them. I don't know why they want everything bitesized in ME2 but it comes off giving a very stale impression of the game as a whole.

I agree that Bring Down the Sky is the best ME2 DLC, but I think Kasumi is really damn good too. Unlike BDtS though she's more beneficial if you're doing another playthrough, as you get her as a useful party member.

I really hope they do something like Bring Down the Sky. Something contained, open, with a little bit of exploration, and a nice plot to tie it all together. They've got the framework there thanks to the Hammerhead.

I doubt it would happen but it would be nice. Just make it require installation of the Firewalker pack. Being free means nearly everybody interested in DLC will have it.

How long is her DLC? In all honesty I find myself more and more disappointed by the game everytime I think about my experiences with it. ME3 is a definite rent

EatChildren

Meus Renaissance said:
How long is her DLC? In all honesty I find myself more and more disappointed by the game everytime I think about my experiences with it. ME3 is a definite rent

~60 minutes for me, but I take my time. No deaths though.

If you're disappointed with ME2 dont buy it. Its not going to add anything remotely substantial to sway your feelings. Its more of the same.

Hey guys, this is a fairly hefty thread so I will just ask and see if it has been brought up already... but.. the side mission on Minos, the one where you have to destroy the husk machine. Upon completion it has reset all my brothers stats/resources/omni-gel/credits/squad points etc to zero, or the bare minimum it seems. I couldn't find anything online except for one forum where it happened to 3 guys right after that mission. Was this ever resolved?

MMaRsu

Arjen said:
Just funished Kasumi, really loved it. It's one of the best missions in the game, great story, variety, cool setpiece. Totally worth the 560 spacebucks.

Oh, and is there a dutch guy working on this game?
First the FEBO everywhere, and now a planet with a dutch name :D

What?

I've just started my second run, having not played it since the first week, on Insanity.

Fuck. Just fuck. I thought Mass Effect was hard, this is on a different level.

EatChildren

I wonder when we'll hear about some more DLC now that all the 'big' stuff has been released. I assume we'll get another three or so costume packs to cover the other characters (I assume Kasumi will miss out). We've also got the new armor that appeared in the Arc Projector screenshot, and apparently the Incisor Rifle (previously part of the Digital Delux version) will hit the Cerberus Network too.

Otherwise, thats it. The only other thing is the rumoured Liara DLC which I'm pretty sure will still happen. I hope we dont have to wait until E3 for more DLC, but I also hope they soon announce a sizeable expansion pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom