• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Jared said:
PC or XBOX Live? I'm not seeing it on the Xbox version :(
Kasumi can be found by browsing the Game Marketplace right now, but the DLC still isn't showing up in the Cerberus Network in-game. I'm waiting to see if the DLC works for the people who just purchase the content through XBLM. It should be fine though, I'm just going to be extra cautious.

masterkajo

Is the DLC multilangual? Because I have an English version of the game but am connected to the German Xbox Live. Anyone got any info.

Peff

DuckRacer said:
So does Kasumi have her own full-blown dialogue trees or is it like Zaeed and you hear 20 second stories?

It's like Zaeed, at least right now (though it won't likely change). She has a bunch of items that make her talk about her past a bit and she also comments on some stuff like the love interest or the cook's ingredients. There's also a beverage in her room.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Are you timing your playthrough? If it's as short as something like BDtS I'll be sad. =(

Mr Jared said:
Well there's your problem. You somehow picked up a version of Mass Effect that includes a Male Shepard. Did you make sure to download the latest patch? There shouldn't be a Male Shepard. That's awful.
What is this bullshit. His voice is fine.

Mr Jared

I'm going to be doing a live stream quick look of the Kasumi Goto DLC. It starts in about 5 minutes, so come and check it out for a bit if you're not afraid of spoilers. I'll also be giving my opinion of it as I go along which should be interesting since I'm a huge skeptic of Bioware DLC, despite being a huge fan of just about everything they do.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jaredrea

Peff

Finished, so that's less than an hour counting everything. Kasumi is a cool character but her entire story happens a bit too quickly perhaps. By the time you get to make a certain decision you don't really know a lot about her so you don't really care. It doesn't help that she's a Zaeed kind of character either (she gets a bit more dialogue at the end of the mission but not much. Fortunately she talks a lot during the mission).

On the other hand, most of her loyalty mission is very nice, similar to how Thane and Samara's were different from the rest of the game, here you
infiltrate a rich man's (pretty impressive!) house during a party and try to enter to his treasure chamber. To do that you have to fulfill several objectives like recording his voice or getting his ADN. Unfortunately these are a bit too simple (one of them is solved by the almighty blue text), but enjoyable nonetheless. Also, the references like the Saren or Ogre statue are great :D
. The second half of the mission is more predictable, so you all can probably figure out what you have to do :p At least the setting and boss are nice. The upgrade is just more technological damage and the weapon is decent enough. So all in all, ME fans will probably enjoy it, but I think most people won't find it worth the 560 points because of how simple it is. I'm hoping we see more of this in ME3, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thanks for the impressions Peff. Sounds pretty disappointing (didnt read the spoilers) and another overpriced whoopsie from BioWare, but I'm really not surprised. The alternate costume pack put down the first brick on the road that is paid ME2 DLC, so I expect everything to be similar; overpriced and missing content fans want.

But I'll bite anyway because I want a new character, new SMG, and didn't mind Zaeed anywhere near as much as some others did.

Thats all the DLC we know of done. I wonder when they'll announce more.

SlickVic

Peff said:
Finished, so that's less than an hour counting everything. Kasumi is a cool character but her entire story happens a bit too quickly perhaps. By the time you get to make a certain decision you don't really know a lot about her so you don't really care. It doesn't help that she's a Zaeed kind of character either (she gets a bit more dialogue at the end of the mission but not much. Fortunately she talks a lot during the mission).

On the other hand, most of her loyalty mission is very nice, similar to how Thane and Samara's were different from the rest of the game, here you
infiltrate a rich man's (pretty impressive!) house during a party and try to enter to his treasure chamber. To do that you have to fulfill several objectives like recording his voice or getting his ADN. Unfortunately these are a bit too simple (one of them is solved by the almighty blue text), but enjoyable nonetheless. Also, the references like the Saren or Ogre statue are great :D
. The second half of the mission is more predictable, so you all can probably figure out what you have to do :p At least the setting and boss are nice. The upgrade is just more technological damage and the weapon is decent enough. So all in all, ME fans will probably enjoy it, but I think most people won't find it worth the 560 points because of how simple it is. I'm hoping we see more of this in ME3, though.

Thanks for the impressions. About what I was expecting; fun mission but a bit short for the $7 asking price. I love ME2 and definitely want to try this out, but got so many other games to play that I think I can resist the urge of buying this for now. Especially at that price.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, if this was 5 bucks, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Kind of disappointing considering that AC2's cut levels were just 3-4 bucks each.

Karram

Seeing how they are only adding only 15 points per DLC (Zaeed and Kasumi). I think they are saving the points for other DLC.

Mr Jared

Ji66a-Man said:
Thanks for the stream Mr Jared. I agree that the price should be $5 instead of $7 for that amount of content.

Anytime :)

Here's my impressions as someone on GiantBomb asked what I would give it out of a 5-star scale-

I'd give it a 4 out of 5. While it's slightly overpriced for what it is, Kasumi is a great addition to the cast in terms of her abilities and well, generally being awesome. The mission is unlike anything else in the game (though you could draw comparisons to Samara's loyalty mission) and is filled with a lot of clever Bioware touches. Overall it took me a little under 90 minutes to complete though I could have milked it to a full 90 had I spent more time exploring every little thing.

The combat situations have an interesting twist in that its only you and Kasumi throughout the entire mission and you have to put down a few heavy mechs and even a hovercraft, so it gets pretty rough. I was playing on Veteran and I actually died once which was the first time in this playthrough.

It's also most likely Bioware's smoothest paid DLC to date. As far as I know it hasn't broken my game (like Return to Ostagar) and the entire thing ran without a hitch. The SMG you gain doesn't seem that great, but I don't mind that so much.

Hope that's enough info :)

mujun

EatChildren said:
Thanks for the impressions Peff. Sounds pretty disappointing (didnt read the spoilers) and another overpriced whoopsie from BioWare, but I'm really not surprised. The alternate costume pack put down the first brick on the road that is paid ME2 DLC, so I expect everything to be similar; overpriced and missing content fans want.

But I'll bite anyway because I want a new character, new SMG, and didn't mind Zaeed anywhere near as much as some others did.

Thats all the DLC we know of done. I wonder when they'll announce more.

Hopefully they'll put out something like Awakenings but at a decent price. I sold my copy of the game but I'd be all over a stand alone expansion for around $20.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I loved the new DLC. I think Kasumi is a fantastic addition to your crew and she had a touching story arc in her loyalty mission. Bioware didn't get lazy with the animation at all (something that could easily happen with DLC) and there was a very cool sequence near the end that proves it.

Things I liked:
-Voice acting for Kasumi
-Back story for Kasumi
-Powers for Kasumi (wasn't able to use her loyalty power because I had no missions to test it on :( )
-Visual design for Kasumi
-Environment
-Music!
-New casual clothes!
-New SMG was a lot of fun to mess around with

Things I didn't like:
-Wish it was longer
-Left me wanting another heist
-Back story could have been fleshed out further, though I love what was there

Here are some spoiler free screens, resized for easier consumption:
MassEffect2%202010-04-06%2021-44-15-56.jpg

MassEffect2%202010-04-06%2021-44-28-57.jpg

MassEffect2%202010-04-06%2021-54-55-36.jpg

Flavius

Love, love, love Mass Effect 2, but 560 points is not the sweet spot for me.

Would have automatically pulled the trigger at 400. Not so sure now...

Coxswain

Most of it was good, but I'm still a little mixed on the whole thing. Basically, anything gameplay-wise was a lot of fun - Kasumi is a great squad member, the combat portion of the mission is fun, and the Locust is pretty much exactly the Machine Pistol that I really wanted the game to have (playing as a Vanguard, it really fills out the last gap in the Vanguard's arsenal).
The talky part of the mission was pretty disappointing to me, though. I guess it's just cold, hard reality that sub-expansion-sized DLC for a game like Mass Effect won't ever get any dialogue-heavy stuff, considering the cost of getting a full voice crew together (here's a fun game:
count how many times you hear Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale voicing a different character in the same room
- not a spoiler, but you can't unnotice it). It still seems really a lot more basic than they could have made it, though. Once you're inside the heist building, you basically talk to a dude for about two or three lines, shoot literally I think like two dudes, and then you get a choice of either talking your way through another dude with two lines, or shooting three other dudes, and apart from that it's mostly just clicking on points of interest. There's less to it than there is to Samara's loyalty quest, so if you had your hopes on something like, I dunno, say the Giovanni party in Bloodlines, start tempering your expectations now.

Though like I said, once the main combat part starts up it's pretty good. If they'd made the non-combat section a more involved, talky-thinky sort of piece I wouldn't have felt bad about paying $10 for it, but as it is $7 is probably a bit on the high side unless you really love the game.

Also: I like that they made up a decent 'dress' model for Shepard, but her posture is still pretty much 100% soldier/marine. Walking around in heels and a dress, but her arms are still out at her sides and she runs around like she's looking to kick somebody's ass. You can walk around in that outfit on the Normandy afterward, too, and it makes all the old squad conversations a lot more entertaining.

I think the Kasumi DLC is pretty good. It's not a lot of content (I spent just over an hour on it), but what is there is well-done. It's better made than any of the other DLCs Bioware has put out.

Sai

The Locust was kind of a disappointment. Dunno if it's because I used it earlier on in the game, with fewer upgrades for the SMG, but I think I like the way the Tempest feels quite a bit more.

Loved everything else though! Kasumi's an awesome character, her Shadow Strike doesn't leave her as vulnerable as I thought it would--just wish it would auto-assign her back to the position she originally was in, especially if she was in cover.

Sai said:
The Locust was kind of a disappointment. Dunno if it's because I used it earlier on in the game, with fewer upgrades for the SMG, but I think I like the way the Tempest feels quite a bit more.

I think it's useful if you want a longer range, more accurate SMG, but the Locust does less damage close range because the Tempest has a better fire rate.

Coxswain said:
Also: I like that they made up a decent 'dress' model for Shepard, but her posture is still pretty much 100% soldier/marine. Walking around in heels and a dress, but her arms are still out at her sides and she runs around like she's looking to kick somebody's ass. You can walk around in that outfit on the Normandy afterward, too, and it makes all the old squad conversations a lot more entertaining.

I felt like Servalan, commanding the crew in an evening dress. My Renegade FemShep will be rocking the dress for the rest of her playthrough.

Lunchbox

Banned
are bioware holding off for a dragon age style expansion for this?

all these 1 mission dlcs and 15 achievement points dont make sense

Lunchbox said:
are bioware holding off for a dragon age style expansion for this?

all these 1 mission dlcs and 15 achievement points dont make sense

If I were to guess what Bioware is thinking, I would say we'll see:

1. A couple of more bite sized missions for sale, including the Liara/Shadowbroker mission.

2. After that, a summer announcement of an Awakenings style stand alone expansion...

3. to be released in the fall, leading up to...

4. ME3 in the fall of 2011.

Just a guess, but that would seem to be the ideal timing for Bioware to release some stuff, and not oversaturate the fans.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SlickVic said:
Have to admit, I expected them to just recycle the formal wear from the main game with that ugly pant suit thing for FemShep. That dress looks pretty sexy.

Yeah the dress made that 2$ extra ok :lol

Arjen

Is that dress a pc mod, or is it in the Xbox DLC as well?

Aaand i just realised that i got exited about a virtual dress :(

Ack, I knew she would be like Zaeed, I hate it, because once you heard her stories you won't have any reason to speak to her ever. If at least she was a romance option....

And no recruit mission....awful, RE5 DLC new chapters were worth the money, this is not.

And the fem dress looks nice...but not buying.

vocab

Mutanthands said:
If I were to guess what Bioware is thinking, I would say we'll see:

1. A couple of more bite sized missions for sale, including the Liara/Shadowbroker mission.

Nope. They have been building on the Shadow broker for two games now. You can bet it will be a big deal in Mass Effect 3

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
vocab said:
Nope. They have been building on the Shadow broker for two games now. You can bet it will be a big deal in Mass Effect 3

They've said they're interested in exploring Liara + Shadow Broker in future DLC, and there's references to it in the game files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom