• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are there any PC/360 comparisons?

Everyone keeps saying the PC version is far superior. As far as I know that's only graphically, which doesn't make it far superior....it just makes it a PC game vs a 6 year old console. Any substantial differences or is it the usual "superior race" ish.

I say this as I plan to upgrade my PC for Dragon Age, a game truly superior on the PC. So don't give me that jibba jabba.

mYm|17|

A little more than 12 hours here to go until I go to gamestop to get my copy.

So glad that the gamestop that I ordered at is like a mile from where I live.

LiK

Metroidvania said:
Wait, they had all the DLC up for free, and I missed it?

Fuck.

Well, at least this means the likelihood of it showing up on the marketplace after the release window has risen significantly.
Some ppl said that it requires the Cereberus Network tho. So the DLC might not work anyways?

Citizen K

so does that cerberus network card come with all versions of the game? thats what it sounds like on the mass effect website. but i always thought it only came with the CE???

Rhino

Damn it I can't believe the Steam version doesn't unlock till Noon tomorrow......

PDXRo.jpg

mYm|17|

Citizen K said:
so does that cerberus network card come with all versions of the game? thats what it sounds like on the mass effect website. but i always thought it only came with the CE???

yes it does

LiK

Citizen K said:
Yea all versions. New copies to prevent ppl buying used ones.

Citizen K said:

It comes with every version. When they first announced it and the CE it was worded so that it sounded like it only came with the CE but they later clarified that.

Zeliard

Skilotonn said:
I really love his design, voice and character myself as well - Bioware did a hell of a job with him.

It cannot be stressed just how fantastic a character Thane is. Everything about him, from the character design on down to his dialogue and voice acting. Even his whole story (particularly his current situation upon joining you) is pretty damn interesting.

Like I said before, anyone who mostly got their kicks out of Mass Effect from the character interactions is going to love the shit out of this game. The characters here are splendid.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just called a while ago and spoke to one of guys that own the store I usually buy games at, they said that they're getting Mass Effect 2 tomorrow, and they are certainly getting my CE in as well :)

Unfortunately they haven't heard a thing about pre-order codes till now, so I'm still gonna be without a single pre-order armor which really disappoints me.

Typical that I plan to be out till 10:30 at night tomorrow, but you better believe that I'm gonna zip outta there to pick it up and at least see the game running and at least see if the armor we downloaded will work.

Citizen K said:

Every new copy, regardless of the version or platform - it was an early misunderstanding.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Metroidvania said:
Wait, they had all the DLC up for free, and I missed it?

Fuck.

Well, at least this means the likelihood of it showing up on the marketplace after the release window has risen significantly.

Not sure about that. The same fiasco happened with the Golden Lancer/Hammerburst for Gears 2. That was free for a lot of people on Xbox.com until they caught it. I don't believe that's available to purchase on LIVE.

Quick question ladies,

I just read on IGN that some DLC was released earlier, but looking at the list it seems like one or two of them were meant to be exclusive to certain retailers.

Zeliard

Truant said:
I tried the PC version. The aliasing is insane, my 360 copy actually looks better in a lot of ways. The only AA I can enable is the UE3 compability mode through nHancer, and that runs soooo sloow.

Superior PC version? No.

Use 00000145 compatability mode with nHancer. My 8800 GTX can handle this game maxed out @ 1680x1050 with 4x MSAA forced and I rarely dip below 30.

Superior PC version, yes, as usual.

Btw, that card was a fucking investment and a half. Still holding strong after 3+ years.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zeliard said:
Btw, that card was a fucking investment and a half. Still holding strong after 3+ years.

Uprading is overrated. I'm still using an AMD64 X2 3800+ and 2GB of DDR. My 8800GT is also a treat.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Peff said:

Well damn - congrats to all that got them all, sucks to be me and rest of us that missed out.

Son of a gun.

Zeliard said:
It cannot be stressed just how fantastic a character Thane is. Everything about him, from the character design on down to his dialogue and voice acting. Even his whole story (particularly his current situation upon joining you) is pretty damn interesting.

Like I said before, anyone who mostly got their kicks out of Mass Effect from the character interactions is going to love the shit out of this game. The characters here are splendid.

Really can't wait to put him on the squad, and it reconfirms once again what Bioware said - do NOT judge the characters based on their 1 minute reveal videos - they proved this last game, don't know why people don't believe it now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Skilotonn said:
Really can't wait to put him on the squad, and it reconfirms once again what Bioware said - do NOT judge the characters based on their 1 minute reveal videos - they proved this last game, don't know why people don't believe it now.

The only thing I want to know is if Samara has any kind of personality at all. She's the only officially announced character who has appeared in next to no media. So far she's just...Booberella, Asari style.

Dennis

Banned
The complaint about jagginess on the PC is correct. The jaggies are very noticeable. The good news is that ME2 is not very demanding so applying AA should not be a problem for most - and with 8xAA or 16xAA, ME2 looks amazing on PC.

Ceebs

So I finished the game last night and thought I should replay ME1 to get a save file (long since lost my old ones) before I play this one again. I can not even get through Eden Prime without wanting to go screaming back to ME2. That is how improved the combat is, they made ME1 unplayable by comparison.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I don't know how many actually did this, but for those who ordered the EA Store Digital Deluxe Edition (specifically the Digital Deluxe Edition), it's apparently been unlocked since this morning.

EatChildren said:
The only thing I want to know is if Samara has any kind of personality at all. She's the only officially announced character who has appeared in next to no media. So far she's just...Booberella, Asari style.

Yeah, she's only been in that one video and that was it, but she seems to have a lot of history - I trust BioWare to do good so yeah.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
EatChildren said:

Jacob also has next to no media about him. Even one of the stock villain aliens have downloadable avatars on the official website, Jacob has nothing.

Cep

Banned
Zeliard said:

Depends on the character.

Jack: Meh
Grunt: Meh

Jacob: Okay
Miranda: Okay

Tali: Awesomesauce
Thane: Awesomesauce
Mordin: Awesomesauce
Archangel: Awesomesauce

Cannot yet comment on the other two.

My point being: The characters in this game are LEAGUES better than virtually every character in ME1 (even the 'cameos'), but Grunt and Jack suffered a bit.

Jack was a good idea executed so poorly that the emotional connection is not complete.

Same goes for Grunt.

paskowitz

I have the PC version and its really well designed. I am running on a puny (by todays standards at least) Dell SXPS1640 C2D 2.4ghz, 4gb DDR3, and a ATI M Rad 4670 1gb. I can get max settings at 720p with 2xAA and the FR never dips below 30fps. The game looks amazing. Especially the character models. This may be the first RPG I actually like... and I REALLY hate RPGs. And by really hate I mean I thought Fallout 3 was a boring game, the entire FF series is garbage and WOW is a cancer to this planet. Somehow I like ME2.

Dennis

Banned
paskowitz said:
I have the PC version and its really well designed. I am running on a puny (by todays standards at least) Dell SXPS1640 C2D 2.4ghz, 4gb DDR3, and a ATI M Rad 4670 1gb. I can get max settings at 720p with 2xAA and the FR never dips below 30fps. The game looks amazing. Especially the character models. This may be the first RPG I actually like... and I REALLY hate RPGs. And by really hate I mean I thought Fallout 3 was a boring game, the entire FF series is garbage and WOW is a cancer to this planet. Somehow I like ME2.
Thats because ME2 is a shooter!

*rimshot*

Cep

Banned
neojubei said:
Jacob also has next to no media about him. Even one of the stock villain aliens have downloadable avatars on the official website, Jacob has nothing.

Same with Mordin (Quite possibly the best one)

Dennis

Banned
neojubei said:
Jacob is a boring normal human compared to the other characters.

For the steam unlock, if I buy this tonight, is there a way to have it downloaded before I get home, or will I have to begin the download manually?

Bloodsent

I know that there is an upgrade to the planet scanner to make the scan area move quicker across the planet surface, but is that it for upgrades? No additional improvements to speed up scanning for minerals?

The_DIMD

Neo Member
I'm going to have an all Krogan squad... me, Wrex, and the new dude... and I'll piss off both of them since I'm an angel in the game :lol ... I can just imagine the hilarity... TUESDAY! COME NOW!

LiK said:
I order a ton of shit from Amazon too. You're not special.
I'm not saying I'm special I'm trying to say that I've had overnight shipping, and have products ship really late, but still arrive on time. Hell, I had one ship at 1AM the day of delivery and show up (because it shipped from Allentown to a NJ address). That's all I'm trying to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom