• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Zanken said:
Someone needs to try this on a blind date, record it and youtube it. :lol
Needs the random topic changes just for the extra awkward.

"Hi... nice to meet you. *smile*"

"Shepard."

"Mmm... ok... *looks for nearest exit*"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I feel "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" during intercourse always goes down well.

OK, playing this immediately after playing ME1 is really weird.

Combat feels so much different, and I have no idea how loot (or lack of) work now.

I really need to deprogram myself from the first game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The Interrobanger said:
OK, playing this immediately after playing ME1 is really weird.

Combat feels so much different, and I have no idea how loot (or lack of) work now.

I really need to deprogram myself from the first game.

There is no loot.

Each class of guns has only two or three different weapons. There's like, two heavy pistols in the entire game, assuming you dont have any DLC, and three sniper rifles. You can find these in missions throughout the game, usually pretty easy to find.

You can upgrade your gun class power by scanning upgrades sometimes found on objects in levels, purchasing them at stores, or researching them at the research terminal on your ship. They do things like upgrade damage for all of that particular class (eg: heavy pistols), increase accuracy, etc etc.

For armor, you need to buy it at stores, as its not dropped anywhere. There's really not all that much. Again, like the guns, you can upgrade your damage resistance/armor stats via scans and upgrade.

In short; there's no loot of any kind, at least not anything like ME1 or really any RPG.

EatChildren said:
There is no loot.

Each class of guns has only two or three different weapons. There's like, two heavy pistols in the entire game, assuming you dont have any DLC, and three sniper rifles. You can find these in missions throughout the game, usually pretty easy to find.

You can upgrade your gun class power by scanning upgrades sometimes found on objects in levels, purchasing them at stores, or researching them at the research terminal on your ship. They do things like upgrade damage for all of that particular class (eg: heavy pistols), increase accuracy, etc etc.

For armor, you need to buy it at stores, as its not dropped anywhere. There's really not all that much. Again, like the guns, you can upgrade your damage resistance/armor stats via scans and upgrade.

In short; there's no loot of any kind, at least not anything like ME1 or really any RPG.

Well that sucks.

Why couldn't they just keep the loot system and overheating guns from ME1 and just streamlined the combat/inventory systems?

Rubezh

One of the reasons I've been having second thoughts about recommending to a friend that they play ME1 before ME2 is precisely because they're so different. I'm not getting back into the debate about which game is better but I'd say playing ME1 is a superior story experience than having the story so far explained to you in ME2. The switch from ME1 to ME2 is too inconsistent for me to recommend to friend who's never played either before.

EatChildren

Relaxed Muscle said:

1okv82.gif

dralla

The Interrobanger said:
Well that sucks.

Why couldn't they just keep the loot system and overheating guns from ME1 and just streamlined the combat/inventory systems?
if you're expecting ME1 you're going to be disappointed. it's much more a shooter this time around.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Loot system from ME1 sucked ass. Hey look I just picked up 20 assault rifles in one area that are essentially pallet swaps with marginal stat differences and no noticeable change in combat. Now my inventory is full....AGAIN.

gdt

truly101 said:
Loot system from ME1 sucked ass. Hey look I just picked up 20 assault rifles in one area that are essentially pallet swaps with marginal stat differences and no noticeable change in combat. Now my inventory is full....AGAIN.

Seriously. And converting all that excess shit into omni-gel took FOREVER. So glad they just used the weapon upgrade system.

truly101 said:

That's no reason to remove inventory, inventories that are functional are out there.

And actually there are more different assault rifles models in ME1 that the three you can get in ME2, but oh well you can pay to have a four one....

Wiggum2007

Relaxed Muscle said:
That's no reason to remove inventory, inventories that are functional are out there.

And actually there are more different assault rifles models in ME1 that the three you can get in ME2, but oh well you can pay to have a four one....

There were like 2 models, with several different textures painted on, and no discernible difference between them besides slight variations in stats. There are a lot of things I miss from ME1 but that shit isn't one.

dralla

gdt5016 said:
Seriously. And converting all that excess shit into omni-gel took FOREVER. So glad they just used the weapon upgrade system.
or you could just sell them to the guy in the ship after the mission.

scarybore

cazosozey said:

That's awesome, sure seems to be a lot of weird ME videos on Youtube judging from the suggestions.

EatChildren said:
:lol YouTube commnets.
Roses are red

Violets are blue

Assuming Control

This hurts you

:lol

truly101 said:

I wouldn't have much issue with Mass Effect's loot system if the interface was actually competent so I could organize what I had quickly. I don't really have any problems with the way Mass Effect 2 does it either, would just like more of it and it would be nice if some things were better hidden away to encourage more exploration.

gdt

dralla said:
or you could just sell them to the guy in the ship after the mission.

Don't you have to sell it one by one? Also, the weakest shit was at the bottom, but I couldn't press up and get the immediatly, and it scrolled incredibly slowly.

I just hate loot. Less items/weapons ftw.

dralla said:
if you sell the extra stuff after each mission that should never happen

But now, I don't ever have to bother with it, at all :).

dralla said:
if you sell the extra stuff after each mission that should never happen

Quite a few missions were long enough that you picked up shitloads of guns for the duration; worse if your Shepard was a tech guy who hacks everything because of OCD issues(like me).

They should have at least had the decency to stack items that were the same.

Edit: And even with shops, running through all that bullshit was a pain.

Coxswain

Relaxed Muscle said:
There are four Assault Rifles in ME2, with no DLC (Starter, Battle Rifle, Geth Rifle, Revenant). With DLC included, the number of distinctly different Assault Rifles (in gameplay, not appearance) in ME2 outnumbers the distinctly different weapons, period, in ME1.

Jerk

Banned
Coxswain said:
There are four Assault Rifles in ME2, with no DLC (Starter, Battle Rifle, Geth Rifle, Revenant). With DLC included, the number of distinctly different Assault Rifles (in gameplay, not appearance) in ME2 outnumbers the distinctly different weapons, period, in ME1.

There is no doubt.

I like loot as much as the next guy, but not having to deal with the shitty itemization of ME1(and DA) was one of the best things about ME2.

Now if they handle it like they did in KOTOR, maybe then we could have a conversation.

I just finished Overlord and I have to say it was pretty cool. Definitely good value for the 500 points it cost. I'm not too keen on the flying mechanics, but everything else was pretty varied and didn't feel recycled from the main game.

Since I'm making my way through my Insanity playthrough, the last boss was fucking tough, however. I kept running out of ammo for the good guns that did any worthwhile damage.

Circle T

[rage post]

FUCK THIS GAME IN ITS INSANITY ASS!!! WTF!!!

For my first playthrough, I beat the game on Hardcore, and while difficult, it was certainly manageable. I didn't play ME1, so it took some time to get into the game and its mechanics, but once i got the hang of it, I made good progress. But this shit on Insanity is just fucked up. I can't do anything without getting killed 27,000 times. I seem to have 10% of the health as before, and the enemies have 10x the health and shields. Not fun at all. Normally, I enjoy playing games my 2nd time through on the hardest difficulty. But not this. I gave up. There is no way I'm going to strain my way through 30+ hour of this shit. Fuck it.

[/rage post]

{edit} - top of a new page, awesome :lol

hermit7

Circle T said:
[rage post]

FUCK THIS GAME IN ITS INSANITY ASS!!! WTF!!!

For my first playthrough, I beat the game on Hardcore, and while difficult, it was certainly manageable. I didn't play ME1, so it took some time to get into the game and its mechanics, but once i got the hang of it, I made good progress. But this shit on Insanity is just fucked up. I can't do anything without getting killed 27,000 times. I seem to have 10% of the health as before, and the enemies have 10x the health and shields. Not fun at all. Normally, I enjoy playing games my 2nd time through on the hardest difficulty. But not this. I gave up. There is no way I'm going to strain my way through 30+ hour of this shit. Fuck it.

[/rage post]

{edit} - top of a new page, awesome :lol

What class are you playing as?

Remember to accommodate for different sorts of protections. IE Warp for armor, and barriers, Overload for Shields.

Use the D Pads left and right arrows to have your partners use their powers.

Circle T

hermit7 said:
What class are you playing as?

Remember to accommodate for different sorts of protections. IE Warp for armor, and barriers, Overload for Shields.

Use the D Pads left and right arrows to have your partners use their powers.
I was playing an Infiltrator. It was my character from the 1st playthrough that I imported for the 2nd. I had a blast the first time. I did exactly like you were saying; correct ammo for situations, directing teammates, etc. I got all that. But on Insanity, I can't move out of cover for 2 seconds without getting completely annihilated. So, I'm done. Played all the DLC during my first go, did all the side missions, all the loyalties, etc, and had a great time throughout all of it. But this isn't even remotely fun.

hermit7

Circle T said:
I was playing an Infiltrator. It was my character from the 1st playthrough that I imported for the 2nd. I had a blast the first time. I did exactly like you were saying; correct ammo for situations, directing teammates, etc. I got all that. But on Insanity, I can't move out of cover for 2 seconds without getting completely annihilated. So, I'm done. Played all the DLC during my first go, did all the side missions, all the loyalties, etc, and had a great time throughout all of it. But this isn't even remotely fun.

Use Tactical Cloak, pop and shoot. Upgrade fully to assassination and use the time dilation in scope to get headshots.

Don't bother with the second Sniper Rifle, use the Mantis only until you get a weapon specialization (Widow)

Use Incinerate also to wear down their Armor.

I have beaten it multiple times on Insanity, recently with a soldier and am on the final mission right now with a Engineer.

Circle T

Mindlog said:
You have the widow. You don't need to be out of cover for more than 2 seconds :]
You would think, but no. I was using it, but headshots with the correct ammo type were not killing people. It seriously is like I was playing on Insanity+++ mode or something.

But seriously, thanks for the tips/help guys, but it really doesn't matter. I have given up. I really just needed to vent. The game changed from 100% fun to -1000% fun just by going up one difficulty.

hermit7

Circle T said:
You would think, but no. I was using it, but headshots with the correct ammo type were not killing people. It seriously is like I was playing on Insanity+++ mode or something.

But seriously, thanks for the tips/help guys, but it really doesn't matter. I have given up. I really just needed to vent. The game changed from 100% fun to -1000% fun just by going up one difficulty.

Are you Cloaking and firing?

Restart without new game+.

Use a new class. I might suggest a Sentinel.

Circle T

hermit7 said:
Are you Cloaking and firing?

Restart without new game+.

Use a new class. I might suggest a Sentinel.
Yes, I would cloak and kill as much as it would allow me. Cloaked, with the slow-down when scoping in was great. Getting the Widow made it even more fun.

But about not doing a "new game+" like you suggest... Is there a difference in difficulty between Insanity fresh, and Insanity on NG+? Or are you just suggesting that, and a new class, with the thought that a different perspective and new gameplay style might help?

Circle T said:
Yes, I would cloak and kill as much as it would allow me. Cloaked, with the slow-down when scoping in was great. Getting the Widow made it even more fun.

But about not doing a "new game+" like you suggest... Is there a difference in difficulty between Insanity fresh, and Insanity on NG+? Or are you just suggesting that, and a new class, with the thought that a different perspective and new gameplay style might help?

In a new game+ all enemies are the same level that you (25-30), while you don't have the best weapons and upgrades.

So you're in clear disaventage for quite some time.

hermit7

Circle T said:

New Game plus is kind of stupid. You lose all of your upgrades, and all of your new weapons.

Circle T

OK, I guess that could explain my problems. I mean, I still had all my skill points, but yea, without all my upgrades and the good weapons (minus the Widow and all my Heavies), I'm clearly lacking against enemies of similar level. That almost certainly explains it. I'll start a new game up one of these days, and start fresh, and see how things go. Thanks.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Currently playing through on Insanity as well and not having much issue really. I am doing an import from ME1 character but that doesn't offer too much initial advantage. I do die often in missions, but I have yet to feel frustrated and only real brickwall moments occur when facing the toughest opponents('named' bosses or heavy foes with all defenses up).

I actually like it more than my first run earlier this year; every enemy has some sort of defense to penetrate, whereas I felt too often I faced foes with no shields/barriers/armor on Hardcore difficulty. You just have to really focus on using proper powers and guns to take down each enemy(read the descriptions on equipment/powers to know what to use).

Not much else to say beyond paying close attention to cover and the room layouts. Again, this difficulty really demands utilizing the full potential of all that stuff to stay alive unlike even Hardcore. Upgrading tech at the Normandy is a major help across all your armor, and always have some ammo power equipped on your guns in every fight.

Now where is the shadowbroker date?? I just finished Overlord(awesome!) and don't want to complete my game until I get all the DLC taken care of. Hate the distribution of this stuff, but love the content.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Personally, I had the hardest time at the start.
After (if) you get through Garrus & Mordin's missions, the game gets much MUCH easier.

kai3345

Banned
Just finished Mass Effect 1 on Veteran so i could import a new Shepard into ME2 for a Veteran run of that game. God, such an amazing game.

Having Saren kill himself was probably the most badass thing ever :lol

Circle T

*Insanity Update*

I went back and started over on Insanity, this time just doing a fresh character, and not doing a New Game+ with my imported character from my first playthrough. You guys were right, this is much easier. It must have been my lack of all my upgrades and the high level enemies that was just too much for me. Starting fresh at level 1 is exactly what I should have done. This is much more manageable for me.

I've recently been playing a ton of Borderlands, so when ME2 gave me the option to start over with my first character, I guess in the back of my head I figured it would be similar to that. Same exact character, just with harder enemies, bosses, etc. But, that obviously isn't the case. Thanks for the input everyone. I've been playing for a couple hours now, and have yet felt the urge to smash things like I did last night :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom