• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_C

So, I just picked this up on PC, installed it, launched it, hit "Play"... and nothing.

I tried reinstalling it, but for some reason the game just won't get going, anyone have this issue?

I've got a Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB Ram, and a GTX 260.

gdt

35hrs in, and I'm this game's bitch. Definitely prefer this game to ME1, and that's saying something.

Awesome to hear we'll be getting DLC all the way upto ME3, which needs to be here now.

Atilac

Chris_C said:
So, I just picked this up on PC, installed it, launched it, hit "Play"... and nothing.

I tried reinstalling it, but for some reason the game just won't get going, anyone have this issue?

I've got a Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB Ram, and a GTX 260.
running as admin?

Subitai

gdt5016 said:
35hrs in, and I'm this game's bitch. Definitely prefer this game to ME1, and that's saying something.

Awesome to hear we'll be getting DLC all the way upto ME3, which needs to be here now.
So in 5 hours you reversed your opinion. :D

You won't know for sure until you've finished, but the general consensus is people liked the story more in ME1 and the characters and combat in ME2.

gdt

Subitai said:
So in 5 hours you reversed your opinion. :D

You won't know for sure until you've finished, but the general consensus is people liked the story more in ME1 and the characters and combat in ME2.

?

I'm 30 hours in, and I'm pretty safe in saying I prefer this to the original, so yay for me! 2 of my favorite games ever, and probably my favorite RPGs. Bioware has owned me with everything they've done (I own DA:O, I'll start it after ME2), I haven't played the BG games though.

Anywho, I just completed the Collector Ship mission, but I'm still gathering my crew/loyalties. I downloaded the two DLCs, I'll start on those too.

So far, the characters and combat are far better than ME1 (both are lightyears ahead), but the story is just as good too. Again, I have one character left to get (Kasumi) and about 4/5 loyalty missions left. The next "story" mission (I guess) is getting the IFF thing, so I guess we'll see. I also have some more side stuff to do, including Overlord.

Also, I have a SHITTON (like ~1mil each except EZ0) of minerals...where do I spend them? Research barely uses it up. I could've spent all of my money on Illium, but I can't seem to find a place to drop lots of minerals.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Leave the IFF until last. Its more or less a 'point of no return'. You'll understand once you do it.

You can still do sidequests after, or after the main story itself (it lets you continue playing), but you're best off leaving the IFF until you're reading to steamroll through to the final.

As for minerals, they're only used for research. You cant sell them. You've mined far too many.

gdt

EatChildren said:
Leave the IFF until last. Its more or less a 'point of no return'. You'll understand once you do it.

You can still do sidequests after, or after the main story itself (it lets you continue playing), but you're best off leaving the IFF until you're reading to steamroll through to the final.

As for minerals, they're only used for research. You cant sell them. You've mined far too many.

Yeah, I definitely got that vibe. I was planning on leaving that last anyway.

gdt

I just have a few loyalty missions left (doing Kasumi's now), Overlord, and then doing the IFF mission.

I also chose Miranda. Sorry Kelly and Jack!

Also, sorry to
Liara.
She's kind of a bitch now! And I think she cheated on me when I was dead. The whore.

Rufus

EatChildren said:
I did that the first time I played and the
abduction was really, really weird for me. Because I had done everything there was to do up to that point, there was no reason for Shep and Friends to leave the Normandy. So they just left anyway. There was a brief scene of them getting onto the shuttle, prompted by nothing in particular, as far as I recall. I think I may have just looked at the galaxy map. And then they just left. Where they went I don't know, although Miranda made it sound like they were actually doing something. Another thing that was weird about that: Apparently, when you leave on a mission, every party member crowds into the little shuttle as well. Everyone, not just the three you chose, which is impossible.
Took me right out of the game. So, so stupid.

Rubezh

Well this is kind of weird. I started up a new ME2 game today and I noticed Miranda wasn't standing next to the computer. No model, no dialogue, no nothing. Perhaps I need to validate my game cache using Steam.

xdc74w.jpg

Sai

Rubezh said:
Well this is kind of weird. I started up a new ME2 game today and I noticed Miranda wasn't standing next to the computer. No model, no dialogue, no nothing. Perhaps I need to validate my game cache using Steam.
Happens to me almost all the time on the 360 version. The subtitles for her dialouge will be there, but no model or voice.

I just save and load real quick, and she'll be there.

Coming from someone that loves Mass Effect, and Mass Effect 2, are the current DLC packs worth the money? I really have a ME2 itch, but I'm not in the mood for firing up a whole new campaign.

Also, I still miss the Mako sections, and anyone that doesn't can go...do something.

Arjen

Net_Wrecker said:
Coming from someone that loves Mass Effect, and Mass Effect 2, are the current DLC packs worth the money? I really have a ME2 itch, but I'm not in the mood for firing up a whole new campaign.

Also, I still miss the Mako sections, and anyone that doesn't can go...do something.

I really enjoyed Overlord, it's totally worth the money imho.
Kasumi is pretty cool to, and she's pretty usefull as a squad member.

gdt5016 said:
?Also, I have a SHITTON (like ~1mil each except EZ0) of minerals...where do I spend them? Research barely uses it up. I could've spent all of my money on Illium, but I can't seem to find a place to drop lots of minerals.
Minerals are used instead of fuel if you run out between systems. So if you have a lot of minerals don't bother with refuelling for a while.

Rufus

Arjen said:
I really enjoyed Overlord, it's totally worth the money imho.
Kasumi is pretty cool to, and she's pretty usefull as a squad member.
Considering he doesn't feel like starting a new campaign, he's not going to use Kasumi outside of her mission. Agree on the Overlord DLC though.

Rubezh said:

She's busy filming the new season of Chuck.

gdt

I haven't had any tech issues so far, except for one crash (thank god for the autosave system).

Finished all of the loyalty missions, and I'm pretty sure I've explored scanned everywhere there is to scan, so I'm doing Overlord, then I'll probably go ahead and finish the game today.

Man, fuck the disabled Collector Ship on Insanity.

I got stuck there months ago, went back today, still didn't come close to winning the fight on the moving platforms. My character is a soldier and every guide/video walkthrough I've looked at has pretty much said I'm fucked with that class and they all use a different one.

Has anyone been able to do that bit with a soldier? Any tips on who I should use etc? I always get close to the end but get rushed at one point or another, or get shoved back from cover with the biotic attacks.

:(

Edit: 90 minutes later I finally did it. :D Fuck you, Bioware, for putting in such a shitty section.

Mr_Zombie

kai3345 said:
So I'm currently replaying ME1 and I totally skipped reciuting Garrus. How does that affect ME2?
The dialouge when you meet him in ME2 will be slightly different (Shepard will remember Garrus as "that turian from the Citadel") and that's probably the only difference.

gdt

Went through the Omega Relay!

Sent Legion through the vents.
Made Miranda leader of the secondary team.

I got a feeling I'm gonna have to make some choices soon :/.

gdt

And done!

Finished the game with a level 31 Paragon Shepard, imported from ME1. Total time is 50:31, a good 12 hours longer than my first ME1 playthrough.

All of my team survived.
Banging Miranda.
Blew up the base.

I think the final act of ME1 (Ilos/Citadel) was better, because that was sort of the entire-universe-is-going-to-blow-up-if-we-don't-stop-it, while this final conflict was much...smaller in scope, I guess. But all of the team separation was awesome, and built alot of tension.

Overall, I preferred ME2 by quite a margin, and that's saying alot because I loved ME1.

I need ME2 asap.

Were those
Reapers coming
at the end?

I'll replay this on Insanity in a bit.

Subitai said:
I'm having trouble getting my friends who I know would love these games to take a break from what they're playing to try them out. Have any you been able to overcome this?
:lol :lol

Same here, I lend the game to a friend and lots of months after he played it, he LOVED IT, now he can stop and he is going to start the second. A friend girl of mine also staerted to play bedcuase I told her it was awesome, and now she is in love with both games.

After one or two playing and sayin like you how awesome it is, all the others will join.

Sai

Foliorum Viridum said:
Man, fuck the disabled Collector Ship on Insanity.

I got stuck there months ago, went back today, still didn't come close to winning the fight on the moving platforms. My character is a soldier and every guide/video walkthrough I've looked at has pretty much said I'm fucked with that class and they all use a different one.
My Soldier with the Revenant was practically invincible on the Collector Ship.

Rubezh

I found the IFF mission the hardest mission of them all on insanity. People mentioned Horizion and the Collector Ship as being hard but they were nowhere near the same level of frustration. Being rushed constantly by husks whilst being fired upon by scions was difficult as a soldier. I was pretty much relying totally on squadmate powers to keep them off me at every corner.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Rubezh said:
I found the IFF mission the hardest mission of them all on insanity. People mentioned Horizion and the Collector Ship as being hard but they were nowhere near the same level of frustration. Being rushed constantly by husks whilst being fired upon by scions was difficult as a soldier. I was pretty much relying totally on squadmate powers to keep them off me at every corner.
At least at the point of the IFF mission, you actually have skills and equipment bonuses to fall back on. You don't have that luxury earlier in the game.

Arjen

Finished Retribution, i think it's my favorite so far.

The parts about the Reapers controlling Grayson were really interresting, at some point Grayson noticed the Reapers were preferring Turian ships, wonder if that will come back in some way, or maybe i just misunderstood that small part.
I was kinda disapointed there were no new big worlds/ stations introduced like Omega in the second book.

Subitai

DY_nasty said:
At least at the point of the IFF mission, you actually have skills and equipment bonuses to fall back on. You don't have that luxury earlier in the game.
Yeah, I found the end of Horizon brutal as any class so far. The beginning of combat on the collector ship is hard, but otherwise it isn't very daunting. Grunt shield maxed and a flame thrower make the IFF mission much more forgiving during those tricky husk rushes you face.

Dresden

Rubezh said:
IFF on insanity was a nightmare for my Engineer, but my adept or vanguard breezed through.

And Grunt is an absolute godsend. Built like a fucking truck.

As for Horizon... it was difficult for my adept, but my Engineer or Vanguard had a much easier time. Probably because Vanguards make scions a joke.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Arjen said:
Finished Retribution, i think it's my favorite so far.

The parts about the Reapers controlling Grayson were really interresting, at some point Grayson noticed the Reapers were preferring Turian ships, wonder if that will come back in some way, or maybe i just misunderstood that small part.
I was kinda disapointed there were no new big worlds/ stations introduced like Omega in the second book.

Grayson mentions how he can feel the Reapers probing his thoughts and memories and sending the information far away to wherever they are, so I figured the part about the Turian ships was just a reference to Sovereign's final indoctrination of Saren. Saren at the end of Mass Effect became essentially what Grayson was, so the Reapers would have been able to probe his mind for information on the Turians.

Any tips of getting Element Zero? It's like 1 out of every 10 planets I search has 1 ounce of it.

Running around doing my loyalty missions, next story mission is to retrieve the IFF. I read on the previous page to use the IFF mission as a point of no return so I plan on doing that. I have 1 more squad member to recruit still

Once again, achievements hinder my enjoyment. I was happy mixing up my squad members every mission but once I looked at the achievement list, I always have to have Mordin in play now since he's the only mofo that has Incinerate for that achievement. What sucks worse is that I always fail to use it when I need to, I'm only at 4/25 for that achievement. Got the Overload one and have 18/25 on the Warp one. I don't plan on doing the "mix 2 powers to combine effects," but maybe I will if I get the others soon.

gdt

I scanned literally everthing, and sapped them all dry. I ended the game with insanely high minerals (~1million for all except EZ, which was ~150,000). Basically, only a few planets have EZ. Just gotta keep scanning.

Too much mineral, no place to spend it :(.

droopy

Element Zero is usually found on planets that mention a colony/lost civilization or some sort of battle. I thought it was a nice touch that they linked the descriptions in like that.

quaere

Just started my first play through with a female character, and I don't know if I'll be able to finish it. My last run was renegade so I'm back to paragon, but I take it no one ever told this voice actress this game isn't just about being a generic badass at all times.

I was trying to be nice to poor Veetor but it was a straight out interrogation anyway. Too bad there won't be a chance for a change in ME3 cause this just ruins the idea of player choice.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I think I have a problem.

After playing Mass Effect 2, whenever I talk to people in real life, I envision a wheel of options to respond with. "Tell me more about your problem", or "Why do you hate humans?" have almost been blurted out more than once.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Guts Of Thor said:
Am I the only one that finds planet probing relaxing?
:lol
No, I did too. It shouldn't be required for important stuff and it could be faster on 360 but I found it relaxing. The awesome music helps.

Coeliacus

Extollere said:
I think I have a problem.

After playing Mass Effect 2, whenever I talk to people in real life, I envision a wheel of options to respond with. "Tell me more about your problem", or "Why do you hate humans?" have almost been blurted out more than once.
Someone needs to try this on a blind date, record it and youtube it. :lol
Needs the random topic changes just for the extra awkward.

Guts Of Thor said:
Am I the only one that finds planet probing relaxing?
:lol
My thumb got tired. :s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom