• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

^^The Garrus mission was probably my most hated on insanity. Some of the collector platforms can be tricky as well, but almost everything else was cake. Trying to kill husks with the flamethrower on insanity was fun as hell :lol

I voiced my (negative) opinions on the quality of the first two Mass Effect books. It's only fair that I return the favor on the third. After the ME2 on PS3 thread I was reminded it had even released.

I'm impressed with the improvements to the book series. The first book was fanfic, the second was serviceable and the third was a solid sci-fi adventure. I'm quite pleased with this latest entry in the series. There are still problems (Nick), but it's still improvement. Keep it up Mr Karpyshyn.
do recommend

As a helpful possibly obvious tip to the new people.
ME: Revelation has no spoilers.
ME: Ascension spoils Mass Effect.
ME: Retribution spoils Mass Effect 2.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Mindlog said:
^^The Garrus mission was probably my most hated on insanity. Some of the collector platforms can be tricky as well, but almost everything else was cake. Trying to kill husks with the flamethrower on insanity was fun as hell :lol

I voiced my (negative) opinions on the quality of the first two Mass Effect books. It's only fair that I return the favor on the third. After the ME2 on PS3 thread I was reminded it had even released.

I'm impressed with the improvements to the book series. The first book was fanfic, the second was serviceable and the third was a solid sci-fi adventure. I'm quite pleased with this latest entry in the series. There are still problems (Nick), but it's still improvement. Keep it up Mr Karpyshyn.
do recommend

As a helpful possibly obvious tip to the new people.
ME: Revelation has no spoilers.
ME: Ascension spoils Mass Effect.
ME: Retribution spoils Mass Effect 2.

I heard Retribution spoils some of the upcoming ME3 storyline or at least goes into some detail about the stuff that happens after ME2 ends?

Mindlog

Retribution completely spoils Mass Effect 2 and it does hint at possible events in ME3. It does introduce plenty of post ME2 plot. However, Ascension also hinted at Mass Effect 2 plot lines and I didn't feel spoiled by it. IMO the biggest pre-release ME2 spoilers I encountered all came from dev videos.

Retribution also includes some 'cannon' plot devices, but I easily ignored those and conformed the story to my Sheppard's universe :]

Circle T

Mindlog said:
Yea, I was just getting ready to do that mission. I'm getting the hang of this difficulty much better now. You really do just need to take your time, be very specific with your teammates, and stay the hell in cover. But now that I'm actually fighting enemies I can beat, I'm making MUCH better progress.

Jerk

Banned
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
For fighting collectors on insanity, take Mordin and Zaeed with you. Use their fire abilities and make short work of the assholes.

Samara may be a little better than Zaeed skill-wise (Reave is better than Incendiary Grenade).

kai3345

Banned
Woooooow. Fucking lame.

I imported a Shepard that didn't recruit Garrus and he still acted like him and Shepard took down Saren together and stuff.

Way to be lazy Bioware

Wizpig

Does anyone know if you can still meet Conrad Verner (Shepard's fan) in Mass Effect 2 if you haven't finished his subquest?
Of course, he's not dead in Mass Effect 1, i just didn't meet him a third time... and i can't do it.

I never played Mass Effect 2.

CushVA

Wizpig said:
Does anyone know if you can still meet Conrad Verner (Shepard's fan) in Mass Effect 2 if you haven't finished his subquest?
Of course, he's not dead in Mass Effect 1, i just didn't meet him a third time... and i can't do it.

I never played Mass Effect 2.

He's there, but bugged. Even if you took the "Paragon" path in ME1, he always responds as though you to the "Renegade" path.

Edit: not sure he's there if you didn't finish his quest, but I'm guessing that he would still be there

If I can beat Insanity mode, anyone can beat Insanity mode. If you're having trouble, about to break the controller or someone's face, or your cat, just remember-- brandonh83 did it. And so can you.

Wizpig

CushVA said:
He's there, but bugged. Even if you took the "Paragon" path in ME1, he always responds as though you to the "Renegade" path.
Really? that's not nice at all.
I wanted to complete the quest with Paragon, but if it doesn't change a thing... meh.

CushVA said:

Edit: not sure he's there if you didn't finish his quest, but I'm guessing that he would still be there

No,he's not there if you don't finish the quest.And yeah, that bug is stupid.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Finished with full Paragon and all characters alive. What's the difference if you
choose not to destroy the Collector base?
Everyone hates you or something?

dankir

Insanity was made a fuckload easier for me thanks to Mordin and Miranda. Incinerate the armor and overload the shields.

Give them both those automatic pistols with fire ammo and enemies just fucking drop!.

Really useful on the collector platform part.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
After watching Star Trek first contact, i was thinking about what should go into mass effect 3, one of those thoughts were about space walks. Just like in First Contact, there could be a mission in which Commander (When will he/she be a Captain?) Shepard have to lead a team to space walk on a ship in space or even zero-g traveling like in Dead Space 2. I would also like to see more consequences to Shepard's decision making, not just the last mission but any mission that can result in a life or death situation or a decision that causing a team member to leave the ship.

Another cool addition would be a holographic PDA that Shepard has on her to keep in touch with team members or gives stats on Shepard's status.

neojubei

gdt5016 said:
We sort of had a space walk in ME1 though.

if you mean the last mission, then yea which is why it is the best part of the game. So much is missing from ME2 that was cool in ME1. I miss just leaving the airlock from Normandy and going to some unknown place or even boarding the Normandy and seeing the ship decontaminate the team before boarding (yes i know it was to mask loading).

I wish Mass Effect used some of the holographic interfaces like the ones in Dead Space.

Another thing is that I'd like to see in ME3 is another main antagonist like Saren or even someone whole isn't the main antagonist but a villain in the mass effect world, like Boba Fett is to star wars or Lore is to star trek.

Jentha of the Blue Suns would have been a cool antagonist.

kai3345

Banned
neojubei said:
if you mean the last mission, then yea which is why it is the best part of the game. So much is missing from ME2 that was cool in ME1. I miss just leaving the airlock from Normandy and going to some unknown place or even boarding the Normandy and seeing the ship decontaminate the team before boarding (yes i know it was to mask loading).

I wish Mass Effect used some of the holographic interfaces like the ones in Dead Space.

Another thing is that I'd like to see in ME3 is another main antagonist like Saren or even someone whole isn't the main antagonist but a villain in the mass effect world, like Boba Fett is to star wars or Lore is to star trek.

Jentha of the Blue Suns would have been a cool antagonist.
I dont think the ending of Mass Effect was cool just because you could walk on the citadel.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Is the first game worth playing after beating the 2nd? I kinda want to play it, but I don't really want to go backwards either.

Extollere said:
Finished with full Paragon and all characters alive. What's the difference if you
choose not to destroy the Collector base?
Everyone hates you or something?

Everyone except Brorus tells you that you should have destroyed it.

Peff

Extollere said:
Is the first game worth playing after beating the 2nd? I kinda want to play it, but I don't really want to go backwards either.

Well, it definitely is, but you do need to be prepared for much rougher mechanics and if you play on 360, nowhere near as polished overall. Still, there's a chance you'll actually like it more as several people here do (I'm sort of in the fence myself).

Aru

Finished the game yesterday. It was awesome and better than ME1 on all aspects (maybe not story, but the story itself isn't bad at all).
No more mako, no more slow downs (at least big ones, there are a few little ones here and there, but not while playing), longer playthrough. Simpler gameplay, but better.

Better graphics too. But perhaps the game was a little bit too easy on Normal. That's my only complain.

gdt

Extollere said:

...Sure. Just know next to ME2 it's pretty archaic in alot of ways. But hey, it has maybe the best final act ever, so definitely go for it.

masterkajo

Extollere said:
Play the first. The story and characters are totally worth it. Just don't expect a game as polished as the second. IMO, Mass Effect is still the greatest game! It totally blew me away the first time I played it.

hermit7

Coldsnap said:
I'm re-playing Mass Effect one and it made me hate how they gimped Tali in two.

Just started a new game in ME1 as well. The gameplay is shit, and moving to shorter cooldowns was a great adjustment. Mass Effect 1 is so much more epic though, Saren is the villain that ME2 needed.

Coldsnap

hermit7 said:
Just started a new game in ME1 as well. The gameplay is shit, and moving to shorter cooldowns was a great adjustment. Mass Effect 1 is so much more epic though, Saren is the villain that ME2 needed.

Yea, I totally agree. I got to the first Mako part today and ugh I'm so glad that is out of the game in two haha.

pmj

FlawlessCowboy said:
So what's the best DLC to get? Do the weapons you can purchase make Insanity easier?
I bought Kasumi and Overlord and the one I just barely didn't regret spending the money on was Overlord. Most seem to agree that it's the best. The weapons I don't know about, but Insanity isn't all that hard anyway.

quickwhips

Finally Beat Mass Effect 2 the other day. It took me longer than Mass Effect 1. The combat flows alot better and its a better game over all. But I still loved the story in the first one the best.

X-Frame

quickwhips said:
Finally Beat Mass Effect 2 the other day. It took me longer than Mass Effect 1. The combat flows alot better and its a better game over all. But I still loved the story in the first one the best.

Yeah the first one actually had a story. Lol. Though the ending to ME2 REALLY pumped me up for the 3rd one.

The stage is set,
It's Reaper huntin' time!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Extollere said:
I found ME1 to be in some ways unplayable, after experiencing the mechanics of part two.

untitled-3z9zi.jpg

Fuck yeahhh. Finally nailed Insanity. :)

It took me 22 hours, which is several more than it took me on normal difficulty when I gained the loyalty of every crew member and did pretty much every side quest. :lol This time I didn't gain the loyalty of anyone and only did the main story.

Although, I have to be honest, I think I prefered the end of the game due to that.
Obviously since I hadn't upgraded my ship or gained any loyalty I lost all but three of my squad, which really made the mission seem much more meaningful and costly. The first time I did it I didn't lose anyone so I was kinda underwhelmed after the mission had been built up as a "suicide" one the entire game.

Jerk

Banned
Funny how easy the achievements in ME2 are to get.

I got all of them during my first playthrough, but after 6 playthroughs I still do not have all the ME ones.

After 5 playthroughs I have all of them except the ones that require you to do the majority of the game with a particular race and the stupid collect-a-thon ones that require exploration of all of the boring planets.

Those just don't sound fun to me. I only go for achievements if they will be fun and satisfy me, not just for the sake of it. Bioware definitely did better with the achievements this time around.

I'm debating replaying Mass Effect 2 on the PC. I don't know if this is true or not but I remember that in the hub sections of the game (cities, normandy, etc), the npc's don't walk around. It always felt really weird that I was the only one in the world who moved around until I triggered some dialogue. If I'm remembering it correctly, I'm not sure I want to play it again.

Wizpig

The Interrobanger said:
OK, playing this immediately after playing ME1 is really weird.

Combat feels so much different, and I have no idea how loot (or lack of) work now.

I really need to deprogram myself from the first game.
This.

I just started playing it for the first time.
But it's not just that i need to deprogram myself from the first game, i feel a weird nostalgia for the first game - and i hated parts of it.

Basically, the combat is different but awesome, it's better in every aspect from what i've seen.
But the rest of the game... it feels... too different for its own good.

The way the aestethics and the music changed, in a more commercial way; the very beginning of the story... it feels weird.
It feels like the developers really went for a classic videogame instead of a huge "next-gen" (at the time) project like Mass Effect 1.
Of course, Mass Effect 1 wasn't this project, but at least they tried.
I'm not sure i like it.

neojubei

NinjaFusion said:
i shouldn't have come in this thread.... reading everyone's comments has got me so hyped... and i promised myself i wouldn't buy it again on PS3

I'm already buying it again, the game has some flaws but still a good game

Jerk 2.0 said:
Funny how easy the achievements in ME2 are to get.

I got all of them during my first playthrough, but after 6 playthroughs I still do not have all the ME ones.

ht5hfn.jpg

MUAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, It's the only achivements that I'm proud of them...

Beat ME2 last night, the ending was awesome! I got everyone out safe, wish the final boss was harder though. (I played on normal, always do)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Alucrid said:
Any updates when the new DLC is going to be released?

Nup. BioWare even closed the announcement thread on the BioWare forums due to all the Liara fanboy lunatics ranting that BioWare are somehow wronging them by being so quiet.

I suspect a September release. BioWare hae been on a one-paid-DLC-per-month schedule since the game launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom