• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Whoompthereitis said:
Think I might do a second playthrough as a 'nice guy' to counter the 'mean girl' I did on my first time.

What are people's thoughts on class to pick? I used the Sniper rifle specialty class last time, and would like to try something different.
Engineer, son. The class of elegance.

Lifelong. I don't feel right as anything else, though I'm currently gaining appreciation for the Sentinel.

Jerk

Banned
hermit7 said:
Except Adept. It is difficult whittling down defenses, especially because biotics don't work on any shielded/armor/barriered enemies.

Some of the other classes hit much harder/are more fun and are a bit more varied, but Adepts definately have god mode as well.

Wallach said:
My personal favorite is Sentinel, though my first run was Infiltrator as well (mainly because it was carried over from ME1 which was an Infiltrator).

There is nothing more fun in this game IMO than slamming an enemy that's frozen with heavy throw. Nada. Zip. Shit is hilarious 100% of the time from beginning to end. This is made more fun by the fact that Sentinel gets the shortest power CDs of any class in the game and you can pretty much chain spam powers at higher levels. All while being pretty much indestructible even on Insanity. Generally paired with AR or shotgun for massive success; the new weapon pack makes that a MUCH harder decision as both the AR and shotgun introduced in there are amazingly fun.

I too very much enjoy the Sentinel (first class I played the game as).

And yeah, Cryo was an awesome ability to use; it is a shame that it was not that useful on Insanity.

cazosozey

I finally beat that piece of shit collector ship today on Insanity. This was on my 2nd insanity attempt, I started off with a sentinel run through, got stuck on the floating platforms for a week and then started over as an infiltrator. I was convinced I missed some critical upgrades before the collector ship.

I probably did 10 attempts before I got everyone on the floating platform, with 1 last scion remaining, but as I was getting to a better position, he shock waved me dead. I was cursing up a storm.
It was about 10 more times, with a lil luck, I killed them all.
Infiltrator with Miranda and Thane.

It really blows that you are forced the collector ship mission, unable to do any other quests until complete. It happened right after I did Grunts loyalty mission.
Currently have I recruited everyone
minus Legion ofc
, and have done all their loyal missions, and putting off going to the IFF mission :lol

Mindlog

DY_nasty said:
You guys are really missing out on Slam.

The flamethrower :lol

Insanity had its tough moments (f-u Garrus we don't have to secure the lowest entrances), but as you grow accustomed to the gameplay systems it isn't that challenging. I had to use the flamethrower on insanity because it was fun as much as because it was challenging.

Horizon was the toughest overall location until I figured out the AI pathing's difficulties with crates. Then it became the collector ship, but again every class has its own shortcuts.

IMHO, it really blows that some of the best tools for insanity is ridiculous DLC equipment. I never used paid DLC to beat the game, but I hear one particular DLC shotgun is excellent for shotty dependent classes.

scarybore

Wizpig said:
The Packages for Ish quest is still there in the menu even if i completed it, what a shitty bug.

I really hate that they haven't patched this yet, I've not finished the quest on subsequent playthroughs in the hope they eventually do so. Sadly, I imagine Bioware will take the easy route and will ignore the quest completely when you import your save into ME3 than bother to fix it.

The other annoying quest that comes to mind is
N7: Javelin Missiles Launched
. On the 360, the way you select the quest resolution is misleading and on both the PC and 360, the journal will incorrectly state you chose the opposite of what you did select. According to a Bioware rep on their forums, the game does at least save your choice correctly even though the journal says otherwise.

Wizpig

Deathcraze said:
I really hate that they haven't patched this yet, I've not finished the quest on subsequent playthroughs in the hope they eventually do so.
You could just complete the quest without using the paragon/renegade option with him or just complete it with Aria's bodyguard instead.

Still, what a shitty bug.
Damn.

Other than this, I pretty much had a love/hate thing with Mass Effect 1, but Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games I played on the 360.
And one of the best 2010 games.
And probably one of the best games this generation.

It sucks you into the universe a lot more than Mass Effect 1, and some of the choices are... really hard.
I still don't know what to do with one or two things...

Dresden

Mindlog said:
The flamethrower :lol

Insanity had its tough moments (f-u Garrus we don't have to secure the lowest entrances), but as you grow accustomed to the gameplay systems it isn't that challenging. I had to use the flamethrower on insanity because it was fun as much as because it was challenging.

Horizon was the toughest overall location until I figured out the AI pathing's difficulties with crates. Then it became the collector ship, but again every class has its own shortcuts.

IMHO, it really blows that some of the best tools for insanity is ridiculous DLC equipment. I never used paid DLC to beat the game, but I hear one particular DLC shotgun is excellent for shotty dependent classes.
Eh, I used the Eviscerator and the Claymore for my Vanguard Insanity run, and one is a free DLC and the other is in the game from the start. Vanguard runs are so easy that something like the Geth shotgun isn't really necessary at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, BioWare released a Tali t-shirt, effectively giving the company a solid cash flow from now until eternity.

Hokay DLC time, on my second playthrough just before the
IFF
, wondering what DLC i should get before i continue. What say you ? Kasumi + Overlord pack seems to be the obvious ones, what about the rest ? Bit gimmicky or genuinely good additions ?

Ogs said:
IFF
, wondering what DLC i should get before i continue. What say you ? Kasumi + Overlord pack seems to be the obvious ones, what about the rest ? Bit gimmicky or genuinely good additions ?

Gimmicky.Basically they are new weapons and armors, and not really worth your money...

Lakitu

st5fu
Ogs said:
IFF

Well.. I take it you have access to the Cerberus Network? Then definitely get all the free stuff. I liked the Normandy Crash Site, it's a somber yet reflective collectathon sort of thing in a pretty cool environment; Zaeed's loyalty mission is pretty good and has one of the more intriguing choices in the game and the Firewalker pack, not very good at all, but it's free.

So definitely get all the free stuff you can from there. If you don't have access, you're better off forgetting those then since 1200 pts (or however much it is in Bioware points) doesn't really cover the worth of the material.

As for the other DLC... definitely Kasumi. It's one of my favourite loyalty missions from the game and has a very cool reward. And also definitely Overlord, my favourite DLC so far. The closest thing it reminds me of is Bring Down the Sky from ME1 which is as great a compliment it can get. Other than that, there's not much else besides Lair of the Shadow Broker coming next month. Enjoy.

Jerk

Banned
EatChildren said:
So, BioWare released a Tali t-shirt, effectively giving the company a solid cash flow from now until eternity.

I know we joke about this, but she is almost definately a party member in 3.

Jerk 2.0 said:
I think it would be unhealthy and dangerous for Bioware not to make her one. Tali and Garrus fans are on another plane of passionate and crazy.

Jerk 2.0 said:

Probably any love interest in ME2 will have a big role in ME3, but party members while most of them can die in ME2? I don't know how Bioware is gonna deal with that...

hermit7

Ogs said:
IFF

I bought the Firepower Pack, and I think it was worth it. The weapons that are added are fantastic, and add a lot to differentiate themselves from the vanilla version.

Jerk

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Probably any love interest in ME2 will have a big role in ME3, but party members while most of them can die in ME2? I don't know how Bioware is gonna deal with that...

I know it may sound crazy, but their fan(actis) would probably tear them apart if she were not included.

I think that she and Garrus will most likely be one of the few (only?) ME2 squad-mates that return as playable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jerk 2.0 said:
I know it may sound crazy, but their fan(actis) would probably tear them apart if she were not included.

I think that she and Garrus will most likely be one of the few (only?) ME2 squad-mates that return as playable.

Are they going to create substantial content for characters that might not even be in the game?

At this point, the only character that is guaranteed to be in ME3 based simply on being alive is Liara. Oh, and Joker, if you count him.

Arjen

hermit7 said:
I bought the Firepower Pack, and I think it was worth it. The weapons that are added are fantastic, and add a lot to differentiate themselves from the vanilla version.

Yeah, Firepower pack is great, the new pistol really rocks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The weapon pack with the laser sight pistol and the heavy machine gun is kind of worth it. I use that set as my main weapons, they kick ass.

Finally making my way through Overlord. It's very Mass Effect1y with the open environments and driving, I like it.

Dresden

firehawk12 said:
Are they going to create substantial content for characters that might not even be in the game?

At this point, the only character that is guaranteed to be in ME3 based simply on being alive is Liara. Oh, and Joker, if you count him.
"I thought you died in the Collector ship, Tali."

"You shouldn't underestimate Quarian ingenuity, Shepard."

---

"I saw you die in the Collector ship, Garrus."

"A little calibration and I was back up in a jiffy."

Ferrio

Banned
Well I just beat both Mass Effect 1&2 within a week and a half (finished 2 about an hour ago). Since it's kinda neat to have a perspective from someone playing games like this back to back, thought I'd write down some of my thoughts. Let's get my first gripe outta the way

BUGS
Holy crap they're everywhere.

First of all I played both games on the PC, I have no idea if the stuff I encountered was in the xbox version, but holy hell did this stuff piss me off. I had to restart quite a few times due to just bugs. I thought that Mass Effect 2 would be better since it probably had higher production values, and maybe more polish on the PC... NOPE

Mass Effect 1
-Popping sound. Happened occasionally, annoying but not bad.
-One time I went in an elevator, pushed the button... and we just sat there. Couldn't leave.
-The vehicle (oh god I hated that thing) guns wouldn't aim correctly on inclined surfaces. I died so many times due to this. You couldn't even compensate for it as no matter where you aimed it would fire at the same thing.
-During the matriarch fight her attacks kept pushing me over the railing, causing instant death. One time it even caused me to propel out into space beyond the world.

Mass Effect 2
-Many Many times I'd somehow walk onto a surface that you shouldn't be able to, only to not be able to walk off. Many restarts due to this
-During Thane's loyalty mission, the kid that tries to stop you would bug out every time. If i tried to negotiate the camera would get stuck and just face a wall, and thane would yell at me nonstop. Couldn't even hit escape, had to restart. Only way to pass was to punch the kid in the gut.
-This isn't a bug, but a gripe. They removed tons of hotkeys that I really really liked. Such as journal, squad menu.

Characters

Probably the biggest asset to wrpgs for me. Both had great characters, but part 2 blew 1 away easily. It was kinda an unfair fight since 2 just had so much more, so I was more likely to find ones I liked. It also had loyalty missions, so you were able to get a better glimpse at each character. Also I'd like to comment that humans in this game are boring as hell.

Mass Effect 1
-Ashely. Boring... least I remember her name.
-That other dude. Just as boring, it was actually hard choice who to pick to die since they were equally as boring. If I had my wish I would of sent them both.
-Wrex. Awesome of course
-Liara. She's okay, not as boring as Ashley but quite a reserved character. Picked her as romance.
-Garrus. He was okay, a bit of a douche.
-Tali. By far my favorite character. I was really upset that she wasn't a romance option but they fixed that in....

Mass Effect 2
-Tali. Again my favorite character, and now a romance option. Though I was pretty pissed when
They didn't show her face. Way to cocktease there Bioware. I really hope in part 3 they show her face, and it turns out to be hideous or something like that. Would be an epic troll.
. Also she uses Minsc's/boo's battle quote :D Thought that was an awesome nod to BG.
-Liara. She wasn't in your party, but I gotta comment on this one. How did a very reserved, quiet researcher suddenly turn into a blood thirsty bitch? The 180 on that character was completely retarded.
-Moradin. BEST NEW CHARACTER. If it wasn't for tali, he'd be my favorite by far. His personality was great, and his loyalty mission going into the whole ethics behind what he's done was awesome. Oh and there's this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PiY5bsAhcY
-Garrus. Well he's Garrus, hell even figured out he was archangel soon as I set foot on Omega. I liked him more this game overall.
-Grunt. Boring, and he's not Wrex.
-Jacob. Boring.
-Mirana. Boring, but not as bad as Ashley.
-Samara. Great character. She's a blue milf Paladin, what's not to like?
-Thane. Awesome character.
-Legion. I really didn't like how the resolved the geth thing in this game. Seemed kinda a copout "Oh those guys, there's just a seperate geth faction" BOOO.
-Jack. Interesting, but I don't care for this archtype.

Gameplay

In Mass Effect 1 I was an infiltrator. About 50% through I was an unstoppable killing machine, it became quite silly at that point taking down everything with a sniper rifle (even geth ships). I stopped using all powers, and ignored my teammates at that point. It was quite absurd.

I didn't wanna make that mistake again, so I picked quite the opposite class (Vanguard) for part 2. If I had known how different the game was, I would of just kept infiltrator. The game did become pretty easy toward the end, but not as bad as part 1.

Going straight from Mass effect 1 to 2 was quite a shock. Stripping out tons of the RPG elements was really disappointing. I was hoping part 2 would compound upon what the first one built... but instead it was much more bare... hell at this point all the upgrades and what not felt like just a chore since there wasn't much choice in picking. I understand what they were trying to do, trying to make it more streamlined ...but it really took out quite a bit of entertainment in doing so.

Adding ammo was something I griped about at first too. I thought it was quite silly to streamline everything, then add ammo in... counterproductive. The more I thought about it, I realized they might of been trying to keep people from doing what I did in part 1. Using a single overpowered weapon throughout the game. In part 2 I used all my weapons, maybe not as much as shotgun... but I did.... something I can't claim from part 1.

Mining > Surveying. Fuck that vehicle... that is all.

Another thing I didn't like about part 2 was the world didn't seem like a world anymore. Even with the crazy ass elevators in the first one, I felt like stuff was connected. The citadel felt like an enormous space station like it should, cities and complexes felt big. In part two everything just felt like a stage, complete with completion screens.

Overall I'd have to give this to the first one. Hopefully for part 3 they'll take ideas from both games and merge them, and throw in more rpg elements.

Story

This is sorta a tough call, and not sure if I should even compare it. The first one focused on the upcoming threat, the reveal about who the reapers are and what they want, it was quite epic. The second one was more about the characters, and the whole building of the team... something that needed to done for the series, unfortunately in doing so it didn't quite get the epic story that 1 had. I feel like it's sorta an unfair fight, and something that should be revisited when the series in complete.

Conclusion

In all, I thought both were great games and really hope they do the next installment justice. Hopefully they put back in more rpg elements from the original, while still keeping the strengths from the sequel and all should be good.

Oh, and Tali better be in or the blood of a Bioware's employee will be on my hands.

Mr_Zombie

Ferrio said:
-Liara. She's okay, not as boring as Ashley but quite a reserved character. Picked her as romance.

You find Liara less boring than Ashley? o_O

At least Ashley wasn't a goody two-shoes, she had a character, was conflicted about aliens (some call this "racism", but it's not) and had her opinion. Liara on the other hand, was too much reserved and quiet; her monotone voice, nerdy character, cliche story about weak mother-daughter relationship and the desire to get into Shepard's pants by all means -- now that was boring. Because of her calm and monotone voice she wasn't even an interesting info kiosk.

I still like Liara (and hate what they do with her in ME2), but for me she was the most boring teammate in Mass Effect 1; at least Kaiden had a story to tell, she had nothing besides nice blue ass. :/

Jerk

Banned
subversus said:
ok, so I'm gonna start my 3rd walkthrough on insane since veteran is just like normal to me.

Any advices on some difficult sections and what class NOT to choose? My 3rd character was an infiltrator in ME1.

also cool insane solo-walkthroughs with different classes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsBwHAw_5fA&playnext=3&playnext_from=PL&p=AC93A1B8B888923F

I suggest Vanguard/Infiltrator/Soldier.

Also, abuse Reave.

And get Zaeed and Kasumi asap (but never forget that you cannot go wrong with Miranda).

Mindlog

I just loaded up ME2 (haven't played in a long time) and I'm wondering if I should replay some of my older Sheppards. I didn't exactly do a wonderful job allocating points on some of my squadmates. Is there a good post-game option for adjusting them? Should have played on PC -_-

I have a Sentinel that just picked up a Shotgun and now I sort of want to replay my 2 'cannon' Sheppards. Shotty Sentinel & company scoff at my puny completionist Sheppards' and their pathetic skill point totals.

masterkajo

Is there an option to see all possible choices you made? I played it back in january and can't remeber exactly how I decided at the end of Tali's loyalty mission. Or maybe someone could give me the options so I would remember again? (maybe spoiler tag it)

It's just that I don't want to play it again before playing the third so that - and here comes the kicker - I don't see other outcomes and forget what my inital Shepard decided... :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
masterkajo said:
Is there an option to see all possible choices you made? I played it back in january and can't remeber exactly how I decided at the end of Tali's loyalty mission. Or maybe someone could give me the options so I would remember again? (maybe spoiler tag it)

It's just that I don't want to play it again before playing the third so that - and here comes the kicker - I don't see other outcomes and forget what my inital Shepard decided... :lol

No, just the general large decisions you made are shown at the start of the game.

voltron

Buckethead said:
Insanity seems manageable with enemies but when they start throwing in mechs and all that crap it gets impossible.

what makes it harder is the absolute uselessness of your squadmates and key sequences that are overly tough.

Like the final battle early on where you meet Kaiden or Ashley. That was a fucking nightmare.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
voltron said:
what makes it harder is the absolute uselessness of your squadmates and key sequences that are overly tough.

Like the final battle early on where you meet Kaiden or Ashley. That was a fucking nightmare.

Sniping those two Scions before you enter the area helps ease the load.

Arjen

Buckethead said:
Insanity seems manageable with enemies but when they start throwing in mechs and all that crap it gets impossible.

Bring Miranda and Garrus, they both carry Overload, Mechs shouldn't be a problem then

Mindlog

EatChildren said:
Sniping those two Scions before you enter the area helps ease the load.

Depends on class, but for me the Scions are the easy part. AI pathing is awful and they can't hit you if you keep circling cover. The trucks make that part of the mission super easy. The number of husks can be overhwleming especially when Harbinger mixes it up, but use yourself as bait and your teammates can last long enough to lend you their powers.

I played Firewalker for the first time. I couldn't resist and I kept trying to jump it straight up vertical cliffs Mako style. I was getting pretty far too! Then I hit an invisible box :lol

images.jpg

Mindlog said:
I couldn't resist and I kept trying to jump it straight up vertical cliffs Mako style. I was getting pretty far too! Then I hit an invisible box :lol

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r211/Genericphotoaccount/passing/images.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
:lol yeah I did the same thing too, just to see how far I could get

Prezhulio

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just a heads up for anyone interested. Stardock(Impulse) is having a sale on the digital LE of Mass effect 2. Lasts to September 11th from looking at other sites it seems.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/masseffect2ce

if i buy me2 from here and me1 from steam, you can import the save into this version right?

i've been planning on waiting for a steam sale to buy both since i built my new rig a few weeks ago, but i might just break and use this sale.

Plasma

Banned
Prezhulio said:
if i buy me2 from here and me1 from steam, you can import the save into this version right?

i've been planning on waiting for a steam sale to buy both since i built my new rig a few weeks ago, but i might just break and use this sale.

Yep, the config tool for ME2 lets you point to where your ME1 saves are.

I've got myself into a bit of a fuss over the mass effect games, I love the first one and have beaten it 4 times now including finishing it on insane but i'm not happy with my shepard, he's bog standard default and the last run I did was a speed run so no optional quests and wrex dies, sorry wrexGAF!

The problem is that I want a nice character to play with in ME2 now that I own a copy, came with my 360s, but I am really not feeling a 5th run right now especially if I want to do everything, be paragon, save the colonists ect.

Is it going to hamper my enjoyment of ME2 if I just play it without a character import, using a new shepard? are the default choices good ones for the story?

The default Shepard for Mass Effect 2 isn't ideal of course, but it gets the job done. There's no need for another Mass Effect 1 run just to get a perfect Paragon Shepard. Default Shepard is serviceable, don't stress it and enjoy ME2.

Started a default shepard tonight, just over 2 hours in with the new normandy and I love it, there's changes I hate and there's changes I like, but so far it's been a great introduction. Combat feels a lot better now that you can actually head shot foes. I started on hard so I could have a bit of a challenge on my first play.

marsomega

Just played Overlord. The firewalker gives me nausea. Loved the mission though it had a bug. The game would crash when I tried to enter the final area with Legion in my group. Loved it though I think it could of been creepier. Can't wait for the new content.

Mindlog

I can't believe only 50% of the people that started also completed the game. However, there seems to be an obvious link between the # of importers and the # of completionists.

Shit, am I one of the 4? :lol

Around what time does DLC typically go live. I may need someone to turn my XBOX on for me. I wasn't planning on buying the Shadow DLC, but I don't want the story ruined and it seems modestly substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom