• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazosozey

Arjen said:
I'm actually really excited for the DLC today, i even made sure i got nothing to do tonight :lol

Heck yeah, every DLC has just gotten better and better in my opinion.
Hammerhead missions - nice
Alternate Costume pack - ...am I the only one who bought this? lol
Kasumi - Awesome
Overlord - Holy Shit!
Shadow Broker - ???

EatChildren said:
Endgame spoilers for those who are still trucking;

It would be extremely inefficient to dedicate time and resources towards content that many players may never see. Because every character can technically die, every character could technically make no appearance in Mass Effect 3.

Its not like an avoidable sidequest or cameo appearance, its an entire character's worth of dialogue, design, programming, and mission. I just cant see any developer dedicating all that much to "maybe" content, when its far safer and efficient to make sure the big content is the stuff everybody will see.

I suspect most if not all of the characters will return in some form, but I'll be very surprised if any of them are companions.
So far, only 50% of Mass Effect players imported their save into Mass Effect 2 and only 50% of people that played ME2 actually finished it. Bioware should just make it the default that everyone's
crew survived the suicide mission
in a fresh ME3 game. The non-importers will be the majority of players anyway. Punish the importers who weren't competent or interested enough in doing everyone's loyalty mission or picking appropriate roles for everyone in the end, but justify their import by
having some sappy remembrance for the squad they let die
. They'll have fewer squadmates to chose from, tough. Replay ME2 better or pick the default Shepard. The percentage of people that actually cared, but
lost their crew
should be minuscule.

But I can totally see Bioware (and I think it's more likely) having a new array of squadmates for ME3, but I just think that the trilogy would be better if ME3's squadmates were the best of the best from Shepard's journey. I think it's a safe bet that at least two of the fan favorites will return as full squadmates in ME3. My guess is Tali and Garrus.

Garcia el Gringo said:
So far, only 50% of Mass Effect players imported their save into Mass Effect 2 and only 50% of people that played ME2 actually finished it. Bioware should just make it the default that everyone's
crew survived the suicide mission
in a fresh ME3 game. The non-importers will be the majority of players anyway. Punish the importers who weren't competent or interested enough in doing everyone's loyalty mission or picking appropriate roles for everyone in the end, but justify their import by
having some sappy remembrance for the squad they let die
. They'll have fewer squadmates to chose from, tough. Replay ME2 better or pick the default Shepard. The percentage of people that actually cared, but
lost their crew
should be minuscule.

But I can totally see Bioware (and I think it's more likely) having a new array of squadmates for ME3, but I just think that the trilogy would be better if ME3's squadmates were the best of the best from Shepard's journey. I think it's a safe bet that at least two of the fan favorites will return as full squadmates in ME3. My guess is Tali and Garrus.

Indeed. I imagine the numbers of people importing a save with
more than one or two dead crew members
will be pretty small.

Jerk

Banned
Coupled with a marketing campaign that heavily suggests that a whole squad is canon and we have a winner.

Most people who care enough to import will most likely go back and keep them all alive.

Mr_Zombie

But that's a really stupid approach.
The whole game and its marketing was about "a suicide mission" (the phrase was repeated lots and lots of times during the game). IMO it's already bad that you can easily
have the entire team survive the so-called "suicide mission" - all you have to do is: make every main mission in the game, choose red/blue dialogue when necessary and have proper reading skills
. If BioWare makes that the default outcome and ignore all those people that played the game as if there really was this big threat for the entire humanity (
therefore there's no time for babysitting squad mates and in the end some of them could die
), it would totally destroy the atmosphere they themselves created. Not to mention, it would also destroy the heavily marketed idea of importing saves.

masterkajo

Also about squad members in ME3: Bioware uses the in-game feedback (which one can disable in the options menu) to determine what a lot of players did. Let's say that only 5% got Tali killed than she could very well be a reaccouring team member. But we have to just wait and see I guess.

Also: Shadow Broker DLC out today!! YEAH!

As much as I love Mass Effect 2 and the whole MASS EFFECT universe ME2 felt like a bad third person shooter. I hope there is a Game of the Year Edition on cards because I do not want to buy the over prices DLC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Overlord was a gig, and Kasumi was about 900mb. Overlord had the Hammerhead tank coupled in though, so you could knock back the size a bit.

Lothars

Unregistered007 said:
As much as I love Mass Effect 2 and the whole MASS EFFECT universe ME2 felt like a bad third person shooter. I hope there is a Game of the Year Edition on cards because I do not want to buy the over prices DLC.

I don't think we were playing the same games because I though ME2 controls and gameplay, I hope ME3 brings back more RPG elements but ME2 and it's DLC is fanastic and so far I don't think at least the bigger packs like Kasumi and Overlord are overpriced.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Arjen said:
Holy shit 1.52, all the ME DLC is killing my 20gb hard drive :lol

Oh God, was planning to buy both this and Overlord soon but I have the same problem. I really hate deleting stuff.

S1kkZ

can i download the dlc with a fake account and then play it with my main account? i had to make a uk account for dead rising 2 and is still have 1200 points on that. but i dont know if i can play the dlc with my main gamertag if i buy the dlc like that.

Firebrand

Hmm, usually not too interested in DLC because of the price point (not so bad for a single one, but it adds up). Might just get this one though as I'm interested in this particular storyline and was a bit disappointed it didn't get resolved in the main game.

Hopefully they'll leave out the Hammerhead nonsense though.

Unregistered007 said:

:O

My mouth is dropped mate. Mass Effect 2 might be one of the best Action RPGs ever. In fact I think it's near the king in the shooter RPG realm. The shooting was so fun and satisfying. You could really see the real time combat strives Bioware has gone for since Jade Empire.

One thing I dislike so far is that the cutting from game to fmv, while smooth and flawless, the video's are washed out and obviously compressed which makes them feel a little cheap, I would have preferred stuff like the normandy 2 scene to be real time if possible because of it.

I also stood still and looked around at the beginning where you work your way to joker, just staring out into space, it was amazing.

I also kind of dislike how you finish "missions" and get that screen telling you how much cash and stuff you found, I miss the non level feeling world of mass effect 1 already because of it.

I also miss finding loot like better weapons, in mass effect 1 finding loot was void once you unlocked spectre gear but for the first playthrough starting from level 1 it was amazing, they need to bring back the loot for ME3.

S1kkZ said:
can i download the dlc with a fake account and then play it with my main account? i had to make a uk account for dead rising 2 and is still have 1200 points on that. but i dont know if i can play the dlc with my main gamertag if i buy the dlc like that.
the DRM will be tied to both the gamertag used and the console, long as you play it on the console you bought it on any other tags can access it.

S1kkZ

just found out that the dlc doesnt work if you download it with a different gamertag. i bought the firepower pack with my uk account but it doesnt show up when i play the game with my main account.

S1kkZ said:
just found out that the dlc doesnt work if you download it with a different gamertag. i bought the firepower pack with my uk account but it doesnt show up when i play the game with my main account.
really? oh that sucks, either a new dlc thing or something EA have purposely done aka locked to gamertag. :(

Roarer

Diablohead said:
One thing I dislike so far is that the cutting from game to fmv, while smooth and flawless, the video's are washed out and obviously compressed which makes them feel a little cheap, I would have preferred stuff like the normandy 2 scene to be real time if possible because of it.

Noticed this while playing the demo of the PC version, never saw any artifacts on the 360. Don't know if its because I sit further away from the TV than the PC monitor, seems weird if they compressed the PC version.

Nemesis_

For those interested, the achievements are up. There's no real spoilers in them.

- Use all the information terminals in the
Shadow Broker's stronghold
- Defeat the
Shadow Broker's Assassin
- Confront the
Shadow Broker
- Complete the mission pack on Hardcore or Insanity
- Reminisce with Liara on the Normandy

RedSwirl

Ferrio said:
You know being faithful would of been a lot easier if the returning love interests werent' pissed as fuck at you, or even had a total personality change
Liara
. Made me not regret picking Tali (though i wanted to pick her in the first game too).

The problem with Liara is that the one dialog choice that does the best job of actually explaining her personality change is very easy to miss and you only get one chance to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFMPaSjAuo

Peff

I liked the
car chase and how you can get a feeling of Illium being an actual city
. I hope they expand on that in ME3. Other than that it's a bit trigger happy so far but we'll see.

RedSwirl

Thing is, I'm afraid to get the DLC until I do a second playthrough where I stay faithful to Liara.

My male Shepard eventually succumbed to the temptation to do it with Tali, but mostly because I knew I'd be going in a second time. Consequences?

Mr_Zombie

RedSwirl said:
The problem with Liara is that the one dialog choice that does the best job of actually explaining her personality change is very easy to miss and you only get one chance to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFMPaSjAuo
What the...
I've played through that section at least three times with three different characters now and I'm sure I always pick every dialogue before ending conversation, yet I've never heard this. Do you have to be in relationship with Liara to hear it?

Just finished ME2. Altogether I felt disappointed, mostly by the story/plot. It felt like it could have gone to a lot of cool places but instead I spent most of the time assembling a crew. It started off interesting but by the end the major plot device made no sense to me.
Why the hell are the collectors building a large human reaper? Do we really need Attack of the 50 Foot Woman?

It really felt like a 'stuck-in-the-middle' type of game to me. I prefer the first game by a wide margin. For some reason this game (ME2) just feels intentionally incomplete, to beat you over the head to buy ME3, whereas ME1 felt more fleshed out and broader in scope.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
That Liara motivation is more fleshed out in the Dark Horse comic from earlier this year. It was fairly decent although not amazing.

Peff

Around an hour and a half/two hours. It's two decently sized linear missions and an amount of story similar to those of the squad members of the main game and an epilogue of sorts afterwards. It has some cool one-liners and conversations during the missions and fanservice, but I'm not sure everyone will be happy with it at that price.

Peff said:
The Shadow Broker's identity... hm. Was it really worth hyping to end up doing that :lol ?

I just hope is not a human...

Around an hour and a half/two hours. It's two decently sized linear missions and an amount of story similar to those of the squad members of the main game and an epilogue of sorts afterwards. It has some cool one-liners and conversations during the missions and fanservice, but I'm not sure everyone will be happy with it at that price.

So we got Bioware'd!!

That's even shorter than Overlord, If I knew this I wouldn't have bought it!! fucking assholes!!.....
Actually that's no true...I'm a ME whore...

Arjen

Peff said:

How long did it take for you to complete Overlord?

Peff

Arjen said:
How long did it take for you to complete Overlord?

2 hours, give or take. This definitely felt a little shorter because it lacks the hub world and the Hammerhead side of the missions. There is a bit more of content to mess around with when you're finished, but the main missions aren't that long.

Lakitu

st5fu
It took me about 2 hours and a half. Was it worth the price? I'd say so but it's subjective. It's really story orientated enthused with a lot of action.

SPOILER:
So Liara is the new Shadow Broker? I kind of saw that coming when we met the prior SB. The scene with her in the Normandy reminiscing is probably my favourite scene in Mass Effect 2. It was incredible.

I'm also glad we got a new place to hang out. The best thing, we can invest into planets with minerals such as Palladium and Platinum which makes it very easier when we receive some deposits daily. Also the Video section made me LOL, Elias Kelham getting run over and the reporter getting hit again by a freaking Krogan. Also the dossiers section was really funny, Legion an avid player of Galaxy of Fantasy :lol Some nice easter eggs during that section.

Arjen

Peff said:
2 hours, give or take. This definitely felt a little shorter because it lacks the hub world and the Hammerhead side of the missions. There is a bit more of content to mess around with when you're finished, but the main missions aren't that long.

Thanks, shame it's so short then.
But whatever, i'm sure i'll enjoy it.

Peff

Rubezh said:
What's the mission structure of the DLC?

Basically a
recruit mission and a loyalty mission one after another. Not actual recruit/loyalty missions, but it's the same.

Lakitu said:
It took me about 2 hours and a half. Was it worth the price? I'd say so but it's subjective. It's really story orientated enthused with a lot of action.

SPOILER:
So Liara is the new Shadow Broker? I kind of saw that coming when we met the prior SB. The scene with her in the Normandy reminiscing is probably my favourite scene in Mass Effect 2. It was incredible.

I'm also glad we got a new place to hang out. The best thing, we can invest into planets with minerals such as Palladium and Platinum which makes it very easier when we receive some deposits daily. Also the Video section made me LOL, Elias Kelham getting run over and the reporter getting hit again by a freaking Krogan. Also the dossiers section was really funny, Legion an avid player of Galaxy of Fantasy :lol Some nice easter eggs during that section.

Yeah,
the files were pretty neat, lots of interesting trivia there. I totally saw the whole "Liara is the new SB" coming, but I didn't think they'd go with a brand new species. I just hope this doesn't rule her out from ME3 but alas...

RedSwirl

Peff said:

Consequences if you weren't loyal?

Peff

RedSwirl said:
Consequences if you weren't loyal?

Shepard keeps trying to hug and console Liara, until she explodes and goes "Well are you like this with Ms _____ too?", then you can patch things up.

Rubezh

I took this from the ME Wiki:

Content

* One mission:
o Lair of the Shadow Broker
+ Adventure through Illium and the Shadow Broker's secret lair.
+ A car chase through the skies of Illium.[5]
* One location:
o The Sowilo System in the Hourglass Nebula.
* Shadow Broker intel center, including:
o Dossiers. Information gathered on several characters and Cerberus.
o Retrain Powers for squadmates.
o Survery Information. Contains the location to four planets, each one rich in one of the four resources, available for purchase.
o Four investment opportunities.
o Video Archive
o Delivery Pickup.
o An Armor Locker.
o A Research Terminal.
* One bonus power:
o Stasis
* Two upgrades:
o Heavy Pistol Damage
o Damage Protection
* The chance to continue romance with Liara T'Soni.
* Five new achievements.

kai3345

Banned
Rubezh said:
I took this from the ME Wiki:

Content

* One mission:
o Lair of the Shadow Broker
+ Adventure through Illium and the Shadow Broker's secret lair.
+ A car chase through the skies of Illium.[5]
* One location:
o The Sowilo System in the Hourglass Nebula.
* Shadow Broker intel center, including:
o Dossiers. Information gathered on several characters and Cerberus.
o Retrain Powers for squadmates.
o Survery Information. Contains the location to four planets, each one rich in one of the four resources, available for purchase.
o Four investment opportunities.
o Video Archive
o Delivery Pickup.
o An Armor Locker.
o A Research Terminal.
* One bonus power:
o Stasis
* Two upgrades:
o Heavy Pistol Damage
o Damage Protection
* The chance to continue romance with Liara T'Soni.
* Five new achievements.

Liara not recriutable? :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom