• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowler

Just finished Shadow Broker.

Non-spoilerish thoughts: Yes, it's pricey, but it's the best DLC by far. Doesn't have the gameplay variety of Kasumi, and it's not very long, but this feels like essential content; stark contrast to the rest of the DLC, which feels like extras that are cool but you won't regret missing out on.

I mean, Overlord totally falls into the whole "so hey, while you're saving the galaxy, we have this OTHER problem we'd like you to check out..." category of missions that I hate in ME1 and 2. Shadow Broker's quest is more important, and it bridges the gap to ME3; there's new, useful stuff in here.

Also: It dovetails perfectly with the Dark Horse comic. Read the TPB last week and it ends up being a great set-up for the DLC.

Spoilery thoughts...

I was a LITTLE disappointed by the lack of variety -- it was a straight-out fight basically -- but that's about it in terms of things I didn't like. Loved that we saw another Spectre, then FOUGHT them. Loved having Liara back in the party. Loved that it's the first DLC that assumes you've finished the main story. Loved the humour ("Their attacks are disorganised... they'd be more effective if they all attacked at once" "Liara, PLEASE don't give the mercs ideas"). Loved the setting of the Shadow Broker's base. Loved the ending scene with Liara on the Normandy. Love that we have a new base of sorts to hang out and use; really curious to see what comes of the missions I've financed.

To be honest Shadow Broker totally kills the other DLC for me. Like I said, the others feel like neat extras; I wouldn't go so far as to call them Deleted Scenes, but they feel a bit insubstantial. They're either full of little hacks or cut corners or (with the Hammerhead) have fairly obvious reasons why they weren't in the main game. This one feels like it should have been a part of ME2; hell, it feels like it WAS a part of ME2. Can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this one, especially in contrast to the others.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
pahamrick said:
Some folks opened the installer in a hex editor, and it's nothing but 0s.

I can't help but laugh at this.
TommyLulz.gif

Ruining my afternoon, BW.

Basileus777 said:
Yep. Apparently the file is "not compatible with the version of windows I am running."

I'm also getting this problem, what the fuck is this? Are they still fucking up releases? Wow...glad I don't have a bandwidth cap.

Wallach

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm also getting this problem, what the fuck is this? Are they still fucking up releases? Wow...glad I don't have a bandwidth cap.

Yeah, sounds like it was an upload problem on their end.

FrankT

Peff said:
What happened? I think
the only time having another relationship affects anything is when you talk to Liara on Illium after the first part of the DLC. The scene after the Shadow Broker is probably the same always

Had no ties except maybe Kelly not sure if that counts. She did come back to the Normandy, but there was no romance option. Pretty much talk and gone. I have some alternative saves with some other options if that might spice it up heh.

I hope this does not need to be spoiler tagged but I have one big problem with Lair of the Shadow Broker and all previous DLC.

My problem is the lack of new dialogue for existing squadmates/characters with new content. Sure it will not be easy to get all the voice actors involved in new content for whatever reason. Bioware should however make a better effort for planning ahead and try to get the voice actors in. I just hope it's not EA being unwilling to pay the voice actors for a couple of hours work.

This next comment is a spoiler.
I took Garrus with me to fight the Shadow Broker and He told Garrus he was going to collect Archangels bounty to offset his losses. I'm guessing there is commentary for others too. It would have been so much better if Garrus could have told him to go fuck himself, or something to that effect. In addition to dialogue for the events leading up to that point. The same applies to all the available characters.

I hope this is a concern for Bioware and they are trying to deal with it.

Arjen

Nemesis556 said:
In regards to unlocking a door:

"Remember the old days when you could just slap Omni-Gel on everything?"

:lol :lol :lol

Love the humour in this add-on

That was great :lol

Arjen

Finished Shadowbroker in litle over 2 hours.
Short: Yes, but it was absolutly amazing.

Car chase scene looked amazing, great that they mixed it up a bit. Fighting the Spectre was awesome to, not the standard fight, but a fast moving enemy, loved it.
The shadowbroker ship bit on the outside was jaw dropping, looked so awesome.
Reveal of the shadowbroker is kinda mixed, i was hoping for someone we knew, but a introduction of a new race is pretty cool, plus he looked badd ass to.
Intel vids were absolutly hilarious btw

Only need to get the hardcore/ insanity achievement for it, but that's a great excuse to run through it with a new character.

Axiom

Downloaded Kasumi, Overlord & Lair tonight. Glad I waited, felt like a great expansion pack with all of it at once.

Felt Overlord had the best storytelling, Lair is for the fans but really nicely done (some great touches) and Kasumi is mainly carried by the fact she's a great character. It's a good thing they charged for her and not Zaeed, as I'd have felt ripped off.

No interest in the Hammerhead for as much as I enjoyed Overlord, didn't even want those achievement points for finding stuff in it.

Well, I just finished, it's short, but in terms of presentation is in par with any main mission, feels like the entire package belongs to the main game...actually the fact is not some side story that has nothing to do with the main plot of the series, helps.

+ Stunning car chase, it wasn't that fun (controlling the car with the right stick, WTF?!), but it was a nice change of pace.

+ Having Liara back as squad member.

+ Lots of little details, conversations between Liara and Shepard, seeing the post content of the DLC with a nice amount of info.

+ 2 of the best boss fights in the game.

+ Top notch presentation.

- 800MSP is too much for 2 hours of game.

- Except for the car chase and the first minutes, everything else is just shoot in not too well designed areas.

- Liara has only one power?! WTF Bioware!!

I think Overlord was a better deal for your money, but is true, that in terms of cutscenes, dialogues and all, this DLC is better in every way, Overlord feels like one gigantic sidequest (actually I hope bioware takes the formula into ME3) and this feels like a main mission.

Also,maybe it's me but the Liara model is clearly different from the main game, she looks way better than she does in Illium.

post DLC spoilers:

So we can see Liara's mothers in the vids of the new hub?! interesting, I didn't get much of the other videos, except jacob abs...ugh..., the was a text that say there will be more or something so it will be nice to check, maybe we can find better things.

I also find hilarious the upgrades tali introduced in his suit....:lol ....even if I was a female shepard and they don't seem make sense in that case... :(

My problem is the lack of new dialogue for existing squadmates/characters with new content. Sure it will not be easy to get all the voice actors involved in new content for whatever reason. Bioware should however make a better effort for planning ahead and try to get the voice actors in. I just hope it's not EA being unwilling to pay the voice actors for a couple of hours work.

That not only happens in DLC missions, in happens too in most of loyal missions, where the othre not related squad member dosn't say a fucking word.

Hell, in most of the main missions, they only say a few random one liners..., I wish it could be more like ME1 or even better like DO, where all the characters had extensive dialogues between them....

Lakitu

st5fu
TheStringTheory said:
How great was it to hear "Vigil" playing when you meet with Liara in your quarters ?

The scene I was talking about before. Probably, the most touching scene in the series for me.

Now Bioware, stop messing me about and get me some damn Ashley DLC... please. And yes GAF, I had a relationship with the bigoted woman.

Are there any outstanding advantages that the PC version has over the 360? I have a good laptop now so I was wondering if I just dive into the PC version and then stick with that when ME3 comes out.

Lakitu said:
Now Bioware, stop messing me about and get me some damn Ashley DLC... please. And yes GAF, I had a relationship with the bigoted woman.

I think Ashley is one of Bioware's better written female characters.
From what I remember a couple of her comments were off kilter, but was largely open to interpretation.

That and she didn't have a Kardashian ass they use to pander to virgins.

I'd like an Ashley DLC as well.

I think I've encountered a glitch with lair. First, the audio would cut in and out during the chase scene, and after that, when I landed, the door in the center opens to reveal a wall. Has anyone else encountered this? Am I just missing another door, or is there something wrong?

gdt

Quick question, can I use video game credit (will get some, I just preordered Halo Reach) on a points card on Amazon?

The physical card, I mean.

Lakitu

st5fu
So, according to the devs the
Intel Center will update every 24 hours (of our time) or after every mission you go on. Nice. Just a pity it doesn't update after every time you go on the Normandy. But it seems this'll have some lasting value.

Red

Lair of the Shadow Broker spoilers in this post!

I'm about to download the Shadow Broker DLC right now. Wondering if I should try to patch things up with Liara or stick with Miranda. On the one hand,
could be good having romantic ties to the Shadow Broker of ME3
, but on the other hand,
dat ass

Lakitu said:
So, according to the devs the
Intel Center will update every 24 hours (of our time) or after every mission you go on. Nice. Just a pity it doesn't update after every time you go on the Normandy. But it seems this'll have some lasting value.
:O real time, hmm, I guess they didn't want some things to get abused to much

Samara

Lakitu said:
The scene I was talking about before. Probably, the most touching scene in the series for me.

For realz. They need one for each.

Lakitu

st5fu
Been going through
the dossiers. Some hilarious stuff in this. I'm looking at Legion's now, a Galaxy of Fantasy player at Level 612 as an Ardat-Yakshi Necromancer. Some of his infractions include unsportsmanlike behaviour because of his taunting during the Crystal Genophage Elimination Platinum :lol.

Also plays:

Medal of Duty, with a player score of 15,999,999,999 and has 200,917 sniper rifle kills and 3 shotgun kills :lol.

Grim Terminus Alliance and one of his awards is 'Cure for What Ails You (Kill 100+ quarians).

An avid player of Fleet and Flotilla: Interactive Cross-Species Relationship simulator with a playtime of 75 hours and a player score of 15 (hopeless):lol

So awesome.

scarybore

Lakitu said:
Been going through
the dossiers. Some hilarious stuff in this. I'm looking at Legion's now, a Galaxy of Fantasy player at Level 612 as an Ardat-Yakshi Necromancer. Some of his infractions include unsportsmanlike behaviour because of his taunting during the Crystal Genophage Elimination Platinum :lol.

I love
Grunts efforts at searching for a dinosaur :)

_Xenon_

Banned
Lakitu said:
Been going through

Also plays:

Medal of Duty, with a player score of 15,999,999,999 and has 200,917 sniper rifle kills and 3 shotgun kills :lol.

Grim Terminus Alliance and one of his awards is 'Cure for What Ails You (Kill 100+ quarians).

An avid player of Fleet and Flotilla: Interactive Cross-Species Relationship simulator with a playtime of 75 hours and a player score of 15 (hopeless):lol

So awesome.
The most awesome part is
illusive man is a fucking pimp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom