• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

Ogs said:
Holy shit, money damn well spent, that was awesome. All that juicy stuff at the end like the
Krogan punching the reporter :lol
So so good, thumbs up BioWare :D

Keep going back.
It gets better!

I managed to play a little of the DLC with my Vanguard. JC my Vanguard just waltzes through this game. At least with my Infiltrator I had to watch for ammo clips. I haven't made it to the first boss yet, but I'm hoping that fight will be as fun as it seems it could be.

Need to renew a minor complaint. Please stop using breather masks in hazardous environments. It really kills my immersion. My Sheppard looks like a dork in his iron lung armor standing next to my teammates wearing tiny nostril covers :lol

SlickVic said:
Don't have any DLC yet so I was thinking of just waiting for some cheaper bundle with all of them, but hearing way too many good things about this one. Don't think I'll be able to hold out this time. :lol

I was in the same position. I'm still hoping for a holiday sale on the other DLC. My main concern with LotSB was spoilers. It turns out spoilers aren't really a big issue, but the DLC does a lot of other stuff I'm quite happy with. The first boss was a lot of fun for my Infiltrator and probably my favorite boss battle in the series. It kicked the crap out of me until I remembered, "Hey I have cloak. Let's use that. Keep moving and don't go into cover."

* I can't give an accurate assessment on mission length. I spent a whole lot of time reading the dossiers and... other stuff. My Vanguard is on pace to finish much faster than my Infiltrator did. The DLC offers 1 or 2 features that the base game really needed.
** Yeah the last boss is pretty easy. I replayed that encounter because I missed a paragon interrupt in the following conversation. That interrupt was probably the quickest I ever encountered.

careksims

One of the best DLC I've ever played so far. I loved it all.

I was so into it I lost time! It seem to go forever! It's sooo good! I wonder what its like if you tried it after beating the main mission.

ME2 and all it's DLC makes it feel soo good. Just sooo good to me. Thank you Bioware.

SlickVic

Mindlog said:
I was in the same position. I'm still hoping for a holiday sale on the other DLC. My main concern with LotSB was spoilers. It turns out spoilers aren't really a big issue, but the DLC does a lot of other stuff I'm quite happy with. The first boss was a lot of fun for my Infiltrator and probably my favorite boss battle in the series. It kicked the crap out of me until I remembered, "Hey I have cloak. Let's use that. Keep moving and don't go into cover."

I have a feeling these'll go on sale on XBL at some point but for the PC version, I don't know if they'll bother outside of releasing some bundle disc. But this really sounds fun and I'm in the mood to play some more ME2 so I'll probably end up getting it this week.

Arjen

Did anyone catch:

The big tv in one of the apartments is one of the apartments on Ilium showing some kind of Asari dancing video.
Shepard: Whats......?
Liara: It's a word some asari on Ilium use for a part of the Asari body
Shepard: Which part?
Liara: Somewhere down the bottom regions
Shepard: No, i meant where on the body?
Liara: So did i.
:lol :lol

Nemesis_

Arjen said:
Did anyone catch:

The big tv in one of the apartments is one of the apartments on Ilium showing some kind of Asari dancing video.
Shepard: Whats......?
Liara: It's a word some asari on Ilium use for a part of the Asari body
Shepard: Which part?
Liara: Somewhere down the bottom regions
Shepard: No, i meant where on the body?
Liara: So did i.
:lol :lol

I loved that. =P

Creating a new race for the Shadow Broker
indicates that Bioware actually is putting some effort into the DLC. It was a nice touch, and I hope to
see more of the Yahg, perhaps helping the Reapers.

I dunno. I think there was some sharing of assets between the Dragon Age team and the Mass Effect team for this DLC if you know what I mean.

pahamrick

I don't even have the words for how awesome I thought this DLC was. I haven't even finished the other DLC yet as I blew through ME 2 I think three times on the 360 within the first 2 weeks it came out, so I've been slow in replaying it on PC. My gripes are mostly small things.

- Lack of voiced dialog for your other squad mate.
- It's mostly combat. I would have liked a bit more story moments.
- Too damn short. I finished it in about an hour and a half.

Some of my favorite moments (Be warned, these are spoilers of some nice moments. Don't highlight if you want to go in blind.)

Watching Liara just knock aside some Shadow Broker agents like they were rag dolls. Gave me a grin.

The entire chase sequence through Illium in the taxi cab. :lol
Shepard: So what kind of weapons does this thing have?
Liara: It's a taxi. It has a fare meter.
Shepard: ....Wonderful.

Making my way across the top of the Shadow Broker's ship really reminded me of the final part of ME1, making your way across the outside of the citadel towards Saren. I just thought it dragged on a bit too long, but nothing wrong with it.

The Shadow Broker being a new species. Once he stood up, and I got a good look at him my first thought was "Oh man. Someone kidnapped one of Sten's people from Dragon Age."

Liara being the new Shadow Broker was expected, but its something nice provided they follow through with it well in ME3.

For anyone wondering if some of the dialog is different if you haven't finished the game yet, I can confirm they definitely are. I don't know how different, but here's a few notable things. Someone confirm if they're different if you've beat the game?

Shadow Broker telling Shepard the deal with the Collector's is still on the table.

In the Normandy with Liara, she asks Shepard to tell her how he really feels about the upcoming mission, and not what he tells the crew for morale reasons.

Also, she tells him she needs him to promise he'll always come back, because once the team is ready they'll head through the Omega 4 Relay to go after the Collectors.

All in all, well worth the money. While I love ME2, I think they went a bit too far in the wrong direction but if the last two DLC's are any indication in what we can look forward to in ME3, I'm already hyped. Especially if they include more of the chatter that was there between Liara and Shepard. Some of it alone was worth the price of admission.

Mr_Zombie

Is anyone from a country not supported by the DLC yet was able to run it?

I'm from Poland, but have an english version of ME2; I would love to buy it, but the BioWare Social site tells me I can't :/

pahamrick

firehawk12 said:
Does the Shadow Broker reference the "deal" you make/don't make with him in ME1 at all?

Not a huge spoiler, but better safe than sorry.
You mean about giving him information instead of sending it to the Alliance? He didn't in my game. In fact, the only reference of anything Shadow Broker from ME1 was by Liara, when she mentioned that the SB knew of the Reapers, and that's possibly why he helped against Saren.

[Rant] Yay, I've just wasted 1.5GB of my my monthly cap on Lair of the Shadow Broker. I'm sooo fucking happy! Bioware have earned millions, MILLIONS, and they can't get their DLC to work? Tossers. [End rant]

MrTroubleMaker said:
Looking in the game files there was going to be 6 upgrades available

AssaultRifle
AutoPistol
HeavyPistol
Shield
Shotgun
SniperRifle

but we only got two of them

HeavyPistol
Shield
looks like you get them all eventually though deliveries

on repeat visits there are some cool things

:lol the
reporter
gets punched by every one
she interviews

:lol
Anderson
punch's out
Udina

tried to help out
Sirta Foundation
and that backfired on me :(

a lot of cool little touch's in this dlc :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That was pretty fantastic. I cant say there was anything unsatisfying about it, except that maybe it was a bit short, and followed the standard ME2 formula of "shoot everything". Otherwise it was wonderfully paced and varied, with lots of great little touches. The post-mission stuff is awesome.

Definitely the best DLC yet.

Deathcraze said:
I love
Grunts efforts at searching for a dinosaur :)

I laughed at that. I also laughed at his research into human war heroes and war history, complete with a series of war film downloads, only to follow them up with a search for "sharks".

The research terminals are great, and its a cool way to add details to characters without needing voice actors.

Sunflower said:
Oh wow what a good time I had.

SO INTERESTED in that Turian all in white, with the white facial markings. WOW WOWOWOWOWOWOW. And the new race! Oh man, nothing could have prepared me for that shit!

Great DLC, buy buy buy!!

Do you mean the one in the vids? That's Gavorn. You can find him out the front of Afterlife. He's the one that bitches about the Vorcha population.

Rubezh

Within the first hour I've gotten two "Mass Effect 2.exe has stopped working" messages. It's getting quite frustrating.

EDIT: Now my main save appears to be completely borked.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
God that was a wonderful chunk of content. I would love love love them to do a DLC for Kaiden/Ashley and a Wrex one as well.
Kaiden/Ashley would obviously be the same DLC, just swapping for whoever you saved so it matches your story and the Wrex DLC could just feature another Krogan if you killed Wrex.
The animation seemed a bit rough in parts, but looked amazing in others. The settings looks phenomenal all around. I loved the whole story too and
being able to dig deeper into the character's backgrounds was really nice.

As usual, it left me wanting more.

Photo album: here.

MassEffect2%202010-09-08%2000-11-45-50.jpg

MassEffect2%202010-09-08%2000-51-39-04.jpg

MassEffect2%202010-09-08%2001-06-51-40.jpg

MassEffect2%202010-09-08%2001-06-17-63.jpg

Fowler

pahamrick said:
For anyone wondering if some of the dialog is different if you haven't finished the game yet, I can confirm they definitely are. I don't know how different, but here's a few notable things. Someone confirm if they're different if you've beat the game?

Shadow Broker telling Shepard the deal with the Collector's is still on the table.

In the Normandy with Liara, she asks Shepard to tell her how he really feels about the upcoming mission, and not what he tells the crew for morale reasons.

Also, she tells him she needs him to promise he'll always come back, because once the team is ready they'll head through the Omega 4 Relay to go after the Collectors.

Pretty much the same, to be honest, but tweaked so it works in that situation.

Can't remember what they said for the first one, but he DEFINITELY doesn't say the deal is still on the table.

For the second line, Liara asks Shepard about it but refers to the Collector mission in the past -- ie, now that you've destroyed the Collector Station, how do you feel about your mission, etc.

The final line is essentially the same -- only without the bit about the Omega 4 relay. Just: Promise you'll come back, or something to that effect.

Now... anyone who didn't have a relationship with Liara in ME1, like me, I have a question:

In the scene in Shepard's cabin, does she always reference Miranda, or only if you slept with her? I slept with Miranda, and Liara says something like: "Are you defending the galaxy for humanity, as personified by the perfect Ms Lawson?"

Does Liara say that in every case, or only if you've slept with Miranda?

pahamrick

Fowler said:

Now... anyone who didn't have a relationship with Liara in ME1, like me, I have a question:

In the scene in Shepard's cabin, does she always reference Miranda, or only if you slept with her? I slept with Miranda, and Liara says something like: "Are you defending the galaxy for humanity, as personified by the perfect Ms Lawson?"

Nice, at least they tweaked the dialog, even a little. As for your question..

I'm going to assume its only if you slept with Miranda. She never mentioned any of the other ladies for me

Rubezh

Fowler said:

I had a relationship with Ashley and Liara said nothing about Miranda. In fact, I don't even remember if she ever referenced Ashley at all.

Alucrid

Banned
pahamrick said:
You mean about giving him information instead of sending it to the Alliance? He didn't in my game. In fact, the only reference of anything Shadow Broker from ME1 was by Liara, when she mentioned that the SB knew of the Reapers, and that's possibly why he helped against Saren.

Yeah, he's pretty cool. Personally I want Aria Telok as a part member. :D

Arjen

Fowler said:

Can't remember what they said for the first one, but he DEFINITELY doesn't say the deal is still on the table.

For the second line, Liara asks Shepard about it but refers to the Collector mission in the past -- ie, now that you've destroyed the Collector Station, how do you feel about your mission, etc.

The final line is essentially the same -- only without the bit about the Omega 4 relay. Just: Promise you'll come back, or something to that effect.

I had a relationship with liara and stayed loyal, she said someting in the lines of:

I ran into joker, it was good seeing him agaian, he was watching some viena? video?

Jinjo

Arjen said:
I had a relationship with liara and stayed loyal, she said someting in the lines of:

I ran into joker, it was good seeing him agaian, he was watching some viena? video?

I don't think that's the replacement line, because with me she also mentioned a thing about Joker (Joker asked whether Liara had "embraced eternity" lately :lol ) and she made the Ms. Lawson comment.

kai3345

Banned
Jinjo said:
I don't think that's the replacement line, because with me she also mentioned a thing about Joker (Joker asked whether Liara had "embraced eternity" lately :lol ) and she made the Ms. Lawson comment.
same with me.

I loved all of the lines in this DLC:lol

"Remember when we could just rub omni-gel on everything?"

Dilly

Banned
MrTroubleMaker said:
looks like you get them all eventually though deliveries

on repeat visits there are some cool things

:lol the
reporter
gets punched by every one
she interviews

Anderson
punch's out
Udina

tried to help out
Sirta Foundation
and that backfired on me :(

a lot of cool little touch's in this dlc :)
Where does those things happen?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Did anyone see the vid of Anderson talking to a crew member of the Normandy SR2? Is anderson spying on Shepard again?

the spectre boss battle was probably one of the best in the whole game i think. fighting the helicopter during miranda's mission was cool, but fighting an asari spectre was just insane

CushVA

Mutanthands said:
I'm getting an even bigger kick from all of the post mission info from the videos and dossiers. Anything that
confirms Udina is a scumbag
is good intel. :D

Miranda Lawson

Subscription activated: After Dark Fashions

Vid Book Purchase: Men are from Omega, Women are from Illium

She also joined a dating service

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
pahamrick said:
I don't even have the words for how awesome I thought this DLC was. I haven't even finished the other DLC yet as I blew through ME 2 I think three times on the 360 within the first 2 weeks it came out, so I've been slow in replaying it on PC. My gripes are mostly small things.

- Lack of voiced dialog for your other squad mate.
- It's mostly combat. I would have liked a bit more story moments.
- Too damn short. I finished it in about an hour and a half.

FFFFUUUU.gif

Seriously, not the promised 3-4 hours? So it's barely about half the length of Overlord, yet costs more?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
FTWer said:
FFFFUUUU.gif

Seriously, not the promised 3-4 hours? So it's barely about half the length of Overlord, yet costs more?

Overlord was not 3 hours :/.

Nemesis_

FTWer said:
FFFFUUUU.gif

To be fair, there were a lot of different environments and a heap more dialog in Lair, similarly, there weren't any hub worlds so it all felt much more smaller.

All in all though, in terms of story and variety, this is the best DLC yet. Overlord had an awesome story, but a lack of variety in environments and results you could really extrapolate across the whole series.

megalowho

FTWer said:
It's way better than Overlord - longer in playtime, more content, plus worthwhile rewards once you finish aside from it just being another side adventure with Shepard. And I liked Overlord.

megalowho said:
It's way better than Overlord - longer in playtime, more content, plus worthwhile rewards once you finish aside from it just being another side adventure with Shepard. And I liked Overlord.

Let's say I disagree...., Overlord took me at least half an hour more time to finish it.

megalowho

Relaxed Muscle said:
Let's say I disagree...., Overlord took me at least half an hour more time to finish it.
I'm not sure exactly what I clocked in Overlord, but from what I remember it was basically one decent sized mission that I easily plowed through. Shadow Broker has two, plus
two boss fights
, all the time I spent messing around on
Hagalaz once Liara and Feron had taken over
as well as
the scene with Liara back on the Normandy
. Not doubting anyones playtime as I'm not sure of my own, just the impression that the two DLC's left on me.

Nemesis_

The conversation that Shepherd and Liara have
on the Normandy
while the menu music from Mass Effect 1 plays is so amazing. You feel, as they reminisce, that you are reminiscing too and feel like returning to those moments.

I just love the way BioWare drew you in within that scene itself. It just felt so perfectly done and it made me realise just how much I love Mass Effect, and moments like these this gen.

I also just went and bought all three books on a whim. >_>

EatChildren

It took a guy I know 3.5 hours on insanity, so I guess times will really vary. I can see how somebody might go through LOTSB faster than Overlord, but I'm pretty sure I blitzed through Overlord much quicker.

Nemesis556 said:
The conversation that Shepherd and Liara have
on the Normandy
while the menu music from Mass Effect 1 plays is so amazing. You feel, as they reminisce, that you are reminiscing too and feel like returning to those moments.

I just love the way BioWare drew you in within that scene itself. It just felt so perfectly done and it made me realise just how much I love Mass Effect, and moments like these this gen.

I also just went and bought all three books on a whim. >_>

No side boob or side butt, though....lame.... :lol :lol

dralla

I wish i could replay the DLC without having to replay the game :[ I have some other Shepards with game-complete saved but it won't be the same :[

Fowler

Anyone on the fence: PLEASE stop comparing Shadow Broker's length with Overlord and using it as a benchmark for this DLC. It's so much more than that.

YES, Shadow Broker is shorter than Overlord. Not sure exactly how much shorter it is, but it was definitely (not significantly) shorter for me.

But it is also much BETTER than Overlord, and I liked Overlord. I didn't love it, I liked it -- I LOVE Shadow Broker. They're not even close to the same level.

Overlord is basically one of the side missions you uncover on the main map.

Shadow Broker is equivalent to one of the main story missions from the game. It's got a great story, at least one awesome location, at least a couple of great fights, and some really good scenes, not to mention some on-going benefits that should continue to play a role in whatever other DLC is released.

I got the Steam version last night just so I can play around with the coalesced.ini file and get infinite ammo. I played about 4 characters to completion on the 360 but I think I can go through a few more playthroughs with infinite heavy weapon ammo. Bwahahahahaha

Mindlog

Fowler said:
Anyone on the fence: PLEASE stop comparing Shadow Broker's length with Overlord and using it as a benchmark for this DLC. It's so much more than that.

Agreed.
It's a bad idea to judge LotSB just on length. LotSB is clearly premium content. I don't believe $10 is a good long term price point, but I can understand $10 for LotSB. It seems like a lot of work was put into this DLC. Perhaps they used previously cut or unfinished assets. This is way beyond Pinnacle Station/Bring Down the Sky. I hear Overlord is great so hopefully I play that sometime down the road.

My Vanguard flew threw this DLC. The first boss fight was as enjoyable as I expected. I want more of that kind of combat.

Hub VI spoiler:
I didn't know the little VI had info to give. I was messing around with the shutter and suddenly he starts with something like, "The Turian Councilor's mistress has been shopping. Perhaps she's planning to move to a bigger house."

That "information" may prove "useful."

Keeper 20 rolls hard.

One last note. The Cerberus Network console gives Bioware a cheap method to provide fresh story to the ME universe. LotSB gives them the opportunity to do small cheap updates that actually offer in game rewards. I hope they take advantage of that. If they do then I would recommend LotSB to everybody.

MechaX

Going through the Shadow Broker DLC now.

While it was a bit pricey, I think this DLC has the advantage because you're actually doing something important and the set-piece battles here are actually pretty good. Plus, the banter between Shepard and Liara is actually pretty hilarious. If all of the Mass Effect DLC was this quality, I wouldn't have any complaints even despite stuff like non-speaking team-mates.

Edit: Holy shit, Shepard just made an
Omni-Gel
joke.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
pahamrick said:

Yeah. That seems rather disappointing though, considering how the first game was like "I'LL REMEMBER THIS!!!! *shakes fist*.

Ricker

Instead of the Shadow Broker,I decided to get the Kasumi DLC first and I have to say it was great but way too short I think...still it was 540 MS points instead of 800 ...tell me Shadow Broker is as good as Kasumi but longer??

Lakitu

st5fu
Ricker said:
Instead of the Shadow Broker,I decided to get the Kasumi DLC first and I have to say it was great but way too short I think...still it was 540 MS points instead of 800 ...tell me Shadow Broker is as good as Kasumi but longer??

Better and longer.

Saying that, I really enjoyed Kasumi's loyalty mission. Definitely one of the better loyalty missions in the game.

Owzers

Fowler said:

YES, Shadow Broker is shorter than Overlord. Not sure exactly how much shorter it is, but it was definitely (not significantly) shorter for me.

But it is also much BETTER than Overlord, and I liked Overlord. I didn't love it, I liked it -- I LOVE Shadow Broker. They're not even close to the same level.

Overlord is basically one of the side missions you uncover on the main map.

Shadow Broker is equivalent to one of the main story missions from the game. It's got a great story, at least one awesome location, at least a couple of great fights, and some really good scenes, not to mention some on-going benefits that should continue to play a role in whatever other DLC is released.

My biggest complaint about dlc reviews are the "on-going" benefits. It's right up there with achievement points because these "benefits" are incredibly cheap to produce for developers and give a fake value to the content, it's the equivalent of paid cheat codes.

Ricker

Lakitu said:
Better and longer.

Saying that, I really enjoyed Kasumi's loyalty mission. Definitely one of the better loyalty missions in the game.

Great,i`ll grab this after I finish Witch Hunt for DA...Damn Bioware is getting all my money these days...Kasumi,Awakening,Shadow Broker,Return to Ostagar...

megalowho

sillymonkey321 said:
My biggest complaint about dlc reviews are the "on-going" benefits. It's right up there with achievement points because these "benefits" are incredibly cheap to produce for developers and give a fake value to the content, it's the equivalent of paid cheat codes.
Fake value? Who cares how much it costs the developer to produce? It's some of the funniest and most rewarding content in the game if you've taken the time to get to know your squadmates and enjoy the Mass Effect universe as a whole. This comment makes no sense to me, unless we're talking about completely different things.

Glix

I'm just playing ME2 now. Everyone is talking about the humor in shadow broker....

but vanilla ME2 is funny as hell also. I was just in the Citadel with Tali and Garrus in my party, and he starts asking Tali if she misses the long elevator rides and the conversations they used to have in them! :lol :lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom