• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ME3 is totally going to be about "recruiting the races". I wont be surprised if many of the ME1/ME2 squadmates go on to 'lead' the end battle for their associated species, and if they didn't survive in ME2 then that species will suffer heavy losses or not give the support you require.

EG: Tali survives, Tali goes on to lead the Quarians in the final battle. Tali dies, someone else leads the Quarians, and they Quarians underperform. Same goes for Wrex, Garrus maybe, and Legion.

Ferrio

Banned
kai3345 said:
I think BioWare will go the complete opposite way that everyone will want them to and have a whole cast of newbies, with everyone else being NPCs

To me that'd make part 2 completely pointless. Mass effect 2 only had two big story points.

1. Fleshing out a nice cast of characters.
Showing the whole point of why reapers exterminate the galaxy

I really don't wanna spend the 3rd game learning about a whole new group of character when there's a damn good group that we just established. So either they'd spend a big chunk of the game making you go through the motions for the new characters OR you get a bunch of new character that aren't given any narrative so you couldn't care less about them.

FrankT

Just got done with my 3rd run after 6 months or so. So good. At times because of the polish I almost think this is the better of the two games, but yet the ending of ME1 is so good. Lair of the Shadow Broker is by far the best DLC. Starting up ME1 again and the polish levels is like night and day.

I'll say this about ME3. I don't care if the game is 3 disc just do not limit the size on it for any reason. Oh and give us the Castlevania style install option. I got ~17 gigs on my 360 of ME2 data so please give us all you can on day 1 Bioware.

EatChildren said:
ME3 is totally going to be about "recruiting the races". I wont be surprised if many of the ME1/ME2 squadmates go on to 'lead' the end battle for their associated species, and if they didn't survive in ME2 then that species will suffer heavy losses or not give the support you require.

EG: Tali survives, Tali goes on to lead the Quarians in the final battle. Tali dies, someone else leads the Quarians, and they Quarians underperform. Same goes for Wrex, Garrus maybe, and Legion.

Yeah, I totally saw this when I met Asari Rachni messenger in my 2nd playthrough. If you saved the rachni queen in ME1, you'll get an awesome Rachni fleet to help you...., probably along other decisions, for example if you re-program the Bad Geth so they become part of the Geth army in ME3 making their support stronger,etc....

kai3345

Banned
EatChildren said:

This is what I think as well.

Aside from humans, have we had any two party members be the same race?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
kai3345 said:
This is what I think as well.

Aside from humans, have we had any two party members be the same race?

Across both games yeah. Two Asari and two Krogans.

kai3345

Banned
EatChildren said:
Across both games yeah. Two Asari and two Krogans.
Shit how did I forget the Krogans.

But nobody cares about Samara so she can just die off screen and then the krogans can have two leaders because theyre that badass.

Now we're all set

EatChildren

kai3345 said:
Shit how did I forget the Krogans.

But nobody cares about Samara so she can just die off screen and then the krogans can have two leaders because theyre that badass.

Now we're all set

Samara is probably a better candidate for 'leader' considering the events of LOTSB, and she's older (but yeah, nobody cares about her :p). Wrex is down for the Krogans to be sure, and I think Grunt will stick by Shepard as Shepard is his battlemaster.

But then that leaves the wealth of shitty boring human characters.

kai3345

Banned
Ferrio said:
What makes me hate her even more is that I tried to get her to die on my first run, so I wouldn't have to listen to her in ME3, but 3 of my favorite squadmates ended up dying instead.

Legion, Zaeed and Tali RIP :'(

Rubezh

EatChildren said:

This seems quite likely. The "recuiting the races" scenario reminds me a lot of Dragon Age.

Ferrio

Banned
kai3345 said:
What makes me hate her even more is that I tried to get her to die on my first run, so I wouldn't have to listen to her in ME3, but 3 of my favorite squadmates ended up dying instead.

Such unfound hate :(. She's the paladin of the Mass Effect universe, that's so insanely awesome.

kai3345 said:

If you really wanted her death,
why you didn't choose Morinth
? :lol

EatChildren

Ferrio said:
Such unfound hate :(. She's the paladin of the Mass Effect universe, that's so insanely awesome.

Being a heartless religious wackjob probably doesn't help.

EatChildren

Ferrio said:
She isn't heartless, geez. She's efficient.

Every decision she makes is based on some irrational 'code', to the point where she's willing to kill any innocent who happens to stand in the way of said code.

CUCKOO'S NEST CUCKOO'S NEST

dralla

samara is weird looking. i remember the first time i saw her come on screen i was thinking "i hope that's not samara". i think it's her big eyes

Played thru the Shadow Broker DLC today, loved every minute of it. Maybe it's because I haven't played ME2 in awhile but I really liked the combat, and found out by accident that one of the assault rifles I had has a grenade launcher on it which blew my mind. The chase scene was pretty fun, maybe a sign of things to come? The extra info you get access to afterwards is great, especially the dossiers.
Thane's killing methods are my favorite, one of them says he leg sweeps then flips over their heads and snaps their necks in one motion :lol

I wonder if Bioware is gonna drop some hints for ME3 in the video archive at some point. Only thing I thought could have been better in the DLC was the final boss fight as it was really easy sitting behind that wall spamming the Blackhole Gun at you know who.
Sheperd is a badass for throwing down with his barehands on the Shadow Broker.
It was only disappointing compared to the final fight in Overlord which was pretty challenging and memorable for me.

I really hope we get ME3 next holiday season as I am foaming at the mouth once again to finish the trilogy.

GillianSeed79 said:
In LOSB what was the point of
the Minority Report-like video room? Was it just another point that the shadow broker had eyes on everyone?

Mostly that.
Some of it was just fun, but there are a few nuggets of information to be had, and some interesting questions raised. For example, we finally find out who Liara's 'father' is, and her story meshes pretty well with what Liara told us in ME1 about her family.

There's a video of Udina on Omega, watching a dancer shake her thang. What in the f**K was Udina doing on Omega?

One nice thing about LOSB is that it sets up
Liara to be an anchor point for any future stories in the Mass Effect universe. She's very young, and could potentially be the Shadow Broker for 900 years. It will be interesting to see how she changes over time.

Arjen

I was doing my Insanity Shadowbroker run today with my other shep.
Did it post SM where
half of my crew died
Thought it was pretty cool that Liara
acknowledged the fact that some of my crew died, and said that they were real heroes, nice little touch

valeo

Loved. It.

Probably the best DLC I have played for an RPG so far and it was imo the best all-round mission in Mass Effect 2 fullstop.

Played Shadow Broker one and a half times so far on my primary male Paragon/Tali/"Complete" Ending/Hardcore diff file. Restarted from a save just before the
Asari spectre
fight to see some dialog I missed (like the
quick "L" trigger events
) that immediatey follow that.

Short but densely packed with quality story and action, plus nice extras at the end. Quite an entertaining script at times, as well as ultimately touching upon the shift in relationship to Tali (in this case) with maturity, though after a snarky bit earlier...heh. It was nice when they discuss things
on the ship after the fighting is done
, which I didn't see on the first time through thinking that
inviting Liara to the ship might automatically screw things up with Tali

Very enjoyable, and will soon play through on one of the Renegade files (maybe the Ashley-loyal one), then see how things go with a variant build of the primary that stayed loyal to Liara.

Prine

Banned
In line with the previous Mass Effect, im about to start my second play through (with the addition of 2 new DLCs). I have to admit, being a Soldier first time was fairly straightforward. There was not much to expect apart from new weapons.

So whats the most 'fun' class? Im leaning towards Infiltrator. Suggestions?

Dresden

Prine said:
In line with the previous Mass Effect, im about to start my second play through (with the addition of 2 new DLCs). I have to admit, being a Soldier first time was fairly straightforward. There was not much to expect apart from new weapons.

Vanguard for awesomeness.

Engineer with Dominate for mini-armies.

Adept for spamming singularity while cowering behind a wall.

Infiltrator for a boring, godmode run through.

Sentinels are lame.

epmode

Against my better judgement, I just bought all of the Mass Effect 2 DLC.

Kasumi's stuff is fun but largely pointless. Felt like a cash run.

Overlord is a lot better than I expected. Probably the best sidequest in the game although I still feel burned by the price.

The Shadow Broker DLC is FUCKAWESOME. The second half takes place in one of the best Mass Effect locations ever (which is saying a lot). Moar like this!

In other news, I'm very glad that I stuck with my Vanguard. Everyone was all down on the class near launch but a full-power charge is by far my favorite skill in the game.

EatChildren

Prine said:

Infiltrator is great, if just for how stupidly powerful you become, and the satisfying boom of one-hit-kills with the Widowmaker.

But since you played as the soldier I'd suggest something Biotic based. Engineer would be a good pick too. Something not so gun heavy.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Mutanthands said:
Mostly that.
Some of it was just fun, but there are a few nuggets of information to be had, and some interesting questions raised. For example, we finally find out who Liara's 'father' is, and her story meshes pretty well with what Liara told us in ME1 about her family.

We do?

Shit, gotta go check the Lair again.

In other news, I'm very glad that I stuck with my Vanguard. Everyone was all down on the class near launch but a full-power charge is by far my favorite skill in the game.

Problem with Vanguard is that charge doesn't do shit unless their shields are already down, which you do admittedly have SMGs, but still, getting your shield back in a charge on a harder difficulty only to lose it again a second later and then die while being surrounded kinda sucks.

Oh, and so does the Krogan Shotgun. The auto-shotty is good, but the elite one....eh. The LMG and the widowmaker are much better bangs for their respective bucks.

SlickVic

Just finished LotSB. I think it's safe to say that pretty much anyone who liked ME2 is going to enjoy this. This DLC stands toe to toe with any of the best missions from the main game in all aspects; engaging dialogue/character development with Liara, kick ass combat, and a couple nice boss battles. Really digged the atmosphere Bioware set up for this as well; loved the rain and lightning crackling down on Ilium
when I reached Liara's apartment, then the storm going through when I reached the Shadow Broker's ship
. Having read the ME Redemption comic book series, it was also nice to see
Feron make an appearance
. I think my only criticisms are I wish it was a bit longer for the price (maybe 1 more mission), and it was kind of awkward again to see the squad members I brought with me hardly say a word during the entire thing (outside the generic chatter during combat). At the very least, I would've expected bringing a ME1 squadmate along would've triggered some more dialogue.

As for whether it's worth $10 or not, I think it comes down whether you're willing to pay a little premium for getting an excellent (albeit short) set of missions. I finished the missions themselves a tad under 2 hours on Normal, and then spent maybe an extra hour going through some of the post-mission content that opens up (no extra missions, but there's some nice stuff to check out). On one hand, I feel that's a bit short on content for $10, but as I said before, I really enjoyed the DLC so it's hard to feel shortchanged.

Ultimately, based on the significant ramifications the LotSB plot has on the future of the story, I'm a bit suprised they didn't just put this on Cerberus Network so everyone would be able to experience this before diving into ME3. But I realize this is a business, and there's nothing really wrong with charging money for content that Mass Effect nuts like me would gladly pay money for. It just makes me curious how much
Liara as Shadow Broker
will be featured in ME3, or whether Bioware will kind of shrug this off (
you get a few emails from the Shadow Broker, but nothing really impacting the plot
) as they don't want to significantly change ME3's story based on whether you purchased this DLC or not.
I think this would be a shame though since having Liara as the Shadow Broker opens up the possibility for extra missions, and I really hope Bioware explores that in ME3.

epmode

Metroidvania said:
Problem with Vanguard is that charge doesn't do shit unless their shields are already down, which you do admittedly have SMGs, but still, getting your shield back in a charge on a harder difficulty only to lose it again a second later and then die while being surrounded kinda sucks.
It's true that it leaves you vulnerable but that's only if you're using it as a direct attack. I tend to use it for mobility. Teleporting behind a group of enemies, quickly kill what's in front of me (even if it's shielded, the temporary stunn means that I can shotgun/melee it down), dive for cover. This wouldn't be possible if the recharge time wasn't so short.

And if you get screwed by charging to a really bad location, you'll usually survive long enough to put up a Barrier.

valeo

I think I used charge about 10 times the entire game.

I never used shotguns either - they seemed gimped this game compared to ME1. SMG's all the way.

Metroidvania said:
Mutanthands said:
Mostly that.

We do?

Shit, gotta go check the Lair again.

Theres a video of Matriarch Aethyta (the bartender in Eternity on Illium) looking longingly at a picture of Liara over a drink. When she tells you her life story after you take care of the Conrad Verner situation, she mentions that she has a pureblood child, and got laughed off Thessia for her militant views. Makes sense that the Shadow Broker would be monitoring her, as she's the 'dad' of one of his enemies. Might serve as leverage in the future.

I'm hoping that she's a squad member in ME3. She seems like she would be up for a fight. Plus, she voiced by Claudia Black!

epmode

valeo said:

I never used shotguns either - they seemed gimped this game compared to ME1. SMG's all the way.
I switch weapons a lot actually. I don't claim that the Vanguard Charge is the BEST way, just the most fun. I'll save the min-maxing for another game.

Ephemeris

Shadowbroker seems to be getting alot of love. Was thinking of holding out till a yet-to-be-announced GOTY edition with the included DLC (a guy can dream), but I don't think I could wait to play the SB DLC..

scarybore

valeo said:

The Geth Plasma Shotgun from the Firepower DLC is excellent fun but it's rather sad that you have to pay extra to get a decent shotgun at all. I was surprised how good and satisfying the SMGs were when I started using them heavily on insanity to strip shields, add in a few upgrades and they are a force to be reckoned with.

I've started a new playthrough as a engineer after Bioware released those various statistics and I'm really enjoying it, my only downside so far is that I use Mordin less since I don't need his incinerate as much. :)

My primary is a Vanguard, which was very satisfying, especially against the Shadow Broker DLC
asari spectre
boss fight. Charge in from almost anywhere and let off a Krogan shotgun blast to the face, plus a couple melee smacks if appropriate while scoping out best cover. Often the boss would charge away after receiving the punishment, making things even easier.

End of fight often ends up with the boss constantly flattened, with Liara setting off her powers and my Charge repeatedly punting the disabled boss around the stage like a football. :lol

I replayed this fight multiple times just for the fun of it.

hermit7

SlickVic said:
Ultimately, based on the significant ramifications the LotSB plot has on the future of the story, I'm a bit suprised they didn't just put this on Cerberus Network so everyone would be able to experience this before diving into ME3. But I realize this is a business, and there's nothing really wrong with charging money for content that Mass Effect nuts like me would gladly pay money for. It just makes me curious how much
Liara as Shadow Broker
will be featured in ME3, or whether Bioware will kind of shrug this off (
you get a few emails from the Shadow Broker, but nothing really impacting the plot
) as they don't want to significantly change ME3's story based on whether you purchased this DLC or not.
I think this would be a shame though since having Liara as the Shadow Broker opens up the possibility for extra missions, and I really hope Bioware explores that in ME3.

I have a feeling they will carry the ending forward even if you didn't play it. Especially if they are bridging the gap between the 2.

SlickVic

hermit7 said:
I have a feeling they will carry the ending forward even if you didn't play it. Especially if they are bridging the gap between the 2.

Yeah, I was actually just thinking of something along those lines. Perhaps if you didn't play the DLC,
Liara reaches out to you at the start of ME3 and tells you how she found and infiltrated the Shadow Broker's base. I can see the Shadow Broker lair becoming the new base of operations in ME3, even if you side with Cerberus at the end of ME3. Perhaps Cerberus starts doing something sketchy with the IFF at the start of ME3, Shepards gets in an argument with the Illusive Man and leaves. Liara then reaches out to Shep with some new Reaper info and you start getting missions from her.

EatChildren

SlickVic said:
Yeah, I was actually just thinking of something along those lines. Perhaps if you didn't play the DLC,
Liara reaches out to you at the start of ME3 and tells you how she found and infiltrated the Shadow Broker's base. I can see the Shadow Broker lair becoming the new base of operations in ME3, even if you side with Cerberus at the end of ME3. Perhaps Cerberus starts doing something sketchy with the IFF at the start of ME3, Shepards gets in an argument with the Illusive Man and leaves. Liara then reaches out to Shep with some new Reaper info and you start getting missions from her.

There's also the issue with the way the third book ends;
Anderson leaving his position on the Citadel.

EatChildren said:

What's up with Anderson meeting with Cerberus dudes in the videos?
Was that addressed in the book?

Jerk

Banned
EatChildren said:

That more or less confirms my personal theory (
He is probably a squadmate in ME3
).

SlickVic

Jerk 2.0 said:
).

Certainly seems possible at least. I haven't been keeping up with the books, but it is interesting to find that out.

Dresden

Jerk 2.0 said:
).
That doesn't sound appealing at all.

I guess you hated one-shotting almost every enemy on Insanity. Shotguns do double damage when you're in melee range. One Eviscerator shot to the chest=blown shield/armor and maybe a quarter health left. That's when you punch them.

EatChildren

Hasphat6462 said:
What's up with Anderson meeting with Cerberus dudes in the videos?
Was that addressed in the book?

No, unfortunately. I'm guessing Anderson has become disillusioned in both the Council and the Alliance. He makes it clear in the book that he still considers Cerberus an enemy, but probably wants to get closer to Shepard, who is pretty much the only person he sides with.

Jerk 2.0 said:
).

That would be something I'd welcome openly.

Jerk 2.0 said:
).

Posssible, but from my perspective, it makes about as much sense as
Liara being in the squad in ME3. Anderson is a leader, he should be at the head of whatever fleet they get together to fight the Reapers, not trading shots with Bloodpack idiots. Same with Liara. She is now much more valuable as the Shadow Broker than as a squad member. So I don't see either of them being in the squad in ME3.

Shepard is the man in charge on the ground, and it would be awkward to be giving commands to Anderson (the more experienced, up until recently senior officer) in combat situations.

Just played Overlord and Shadow Broker DLC. Both were amazing. Despite the clichéd premise, Overlord played the cards of its 'theme' very well, made me really want
a bioware made cyberpunk RPG
. My only grudge is that the volume of the VI seemed to be twice as loud as everything else in the game.
Shadow Broker DLC is in a sense too short
after such a build up for the character, killing him off that easily seemed unrealistic. Also, while I didn't mind the design, having someone with such a short fuse doesn't seem to align with the image i had of the broker. Also, what the fuck was the broker's plan, when Shepard breaks in his place. By that time it should be about clear Shepard is some kind of monstrous godlike creature of death and mayhem, and the dude just waits quietly in his room. No backup plan, nothing. At least get a bit more dialogue out of him. It makes me think that he had a backup plan active, even in case he died - i guess we'll know more in ME3.
Finally, the fifth element like drive was fucking amazing.

EatChildren

harriet the spy said:
Just played Overlord and Shadow Broker DLC. Both were amazing. Despite the clichéd premise, Overlord played the cards of its 'theme' very well, made me really want
a bioware made cyberpunk RPG
. My only grudge is that the volume of the VI seemed to be twice as loud as everything else in the game.
Shadow Broker DLC is in a sense too short
after such a build up for the character, killing him off that easily seemed unrealistic. Also, while I didn't mind the design, having someone with such a short fuse doesn't seem to align with the image i had of the broker. Also, what the fuck was the broker's plan, when Shepard breaks in his place. By that time it should be about clear Shepard is some kind of monstrous godlike creature of death and mayhem, and the dude just waits quietly in his room. No backup plan, nothing. At least get a bit more dialogue out of him. It makes me think that he had a backup plan active, even in case he died - i guess we'll know more in ME3.
Finally, the fifth element like drive was fucking amazing.

To be fair, the Shadow Broker we fight wasn't the original Shadow Broker, and had instead killed him/her and took his place. Who knows what his plans were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom